BajaNomad

2010 Baja 1000 photos

BigWooo - 11-19-2010 at 09:35 AM

Around 8:00 am on Friday. Approaching the hairpin turn in San Juanico...#778 on track and looking good:

Something went wrong and the truck suddenly left the course:

It did a complete roll and landed back on it's tires:

I was able to talk to the drivers immediately after, and fortunately neither of them were injured (They were going VERY fast). I don't think the same could be said about the truck though:

edit to correct order of pics

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BigWooo]

DianaT - 11-19-2010 at 09:39 AM

WOW Glad both of the drivers are OK,

but that is a GREAT series of photos!

Brian L - 11-19-2010 at 09:39 AM

I like the person with the hoodie that doesn't even move or seem to react.

BigWooo - 11-19-2010 at 09:40 AM

Bufeo's son in law's car, around 7:30 a.m.

He put on quite a show as he went around the hairpin turn. Looked too clean to have done so many miles!

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BigWooo]

woody with a view - 11-19-2010 at 09:54 AM

musta been video that was editied to single frames? if not, great steady hands and timing!!!!

BigWooo - 11-19-2010 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
musta been video that was editied to single frames? if not, great steady hands and timing!!!!

No video, 35mm camera. This guy was going a lot faster than the others so I wanted to get a few photos as he approached....then he suddenly veered off and I just held down the shutter key. Lucky timing, unlucky for them :no:

BigWooo - 11-19-2010 at 10:10 AM

Don't know who this is, but he hit the turn FAST:

Then left a cloud that enveloped everything:

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 10:19 AM

Great shots Wooo! I had the very same thoughts as blane about the guy in the hooded sweater watching the whole thing unfold right in front of him...

bufeo - 11-19-2010 at 10:34 AM

Great shots Wooo! Thanks for the photos and the "heads up".

That #778 is Ivan Stewart's truck. I don't know if he was driving at the time. I have found out that son-in-law was not in the #760 at that point. He got out earlier and is just now back in the truck down at Loreto.

Glad no one was injured in the 778. Metal can be re-bent and parts replaced on the truck. 778 moved slowly (tracking via IRC) after that, but I see it's at mile 720 now.

Thanks again Wooo.

Allen R

David K - 11-19-2010 at 11:01 AM

Being a Toyota, it will just keep going and going!:bounce:

DENNIS - 11-19-2010 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Looked too clean to have done so many miles!

Is Rosie Ruiz driving that car? :lol:

bufeo - 11-19-2010 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Being a Toyota, it will just keep going and going!:bounce:

Well, they're really trying to do just that. Limping along into the Loreto area, where I'm sure they have a major pit. Maybe some duct tape and baling wire will put things in order.

Given Wooo's description of "...suddenly left the course" sounds like some kind of steering failure, so maybe it can be repaired. In any case, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

I'd like to see them finish...just w...a.....y.....y behind the 760 car. :biggrin:

ON EDIT: About an hour later the 778 seems to be moving well enough. The 760 'paused' over on the coast for a bit.

Allen R

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by bufeo]

BajaGeoff - 11-19-2010 at 02:32 PM

Wow! That is intense. Great photos and glad everyone was OK.

I just got back last night from pitting with Mag 7 at race mile 55 near Tres Hermanos. The terrain up there was brutal.....lots of hills, sharp corners, rocks and really narrow. I should have a video put together in the next week or so. It was a blast!

capt. mike - 11-20-2010 at 08:24 AM

those are pulitzer prize level shots, better than anything else i have ever seen except the P 51 replica that crashed at Reno this year caught frame by frame in split second hi-def hi-rez.

Von - 11-20-2010 at 10:11 AM

WOW! awesome shots!

jahImpala3 - 11-20-2010 at 11:26 AM

Nice!

Cyanide41 - 11-20-2010 at 12:42 PM

Nice shots! Thanks for posting

DianaT - 11-20-2010 at 12:45 PM

Those photos really should be submitted to an appropriate publication----maybe one that covers the Baja 1000-----?

BigWooo - 11-20-2010 at 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments :yes:

Soulpatch: The daytime shots were taken about 2 miles from the casita. The night before we had traveled several miles north to a long straightaway to watch the trophy trucks. They started coming through just before midnight. This was our first 1000, so for us, it was pretty amazing. Where we setup to watch, the trucks passed at well over 100mph. There was no way to get a good still picture at that speed at night :( Got some cool video though! It was so quiet we could hear the trucks 10 or 15 miles away!

(Hey...Full time for you guys is getting closer!)

Diana: Good idea, I also plan to lookup the Ivan Stewart team on the internet and find a way to contact them. I bet the guys in the truck would like the photos (or maybe not :lol: ).

It's very, very lucky no one was hurt. If whatever caused the sudden left turn had happened 200-300 meters further ahead, it would have been a much different outcome.

BajaRat - 11-20-2010 at 03:14 PM

It did'nt look like they just lost control?

BAJABAILADOR - 11-20-2010 at 04:12 PM

Hey Big Woo nice pics,someone else likes them too. Just saw this on race dezert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVQFZg5rPhA&feature=playe...

David K - 11-20-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJABAILADOR
Hey Big Woo nice pics,someone else likes them too. Just saw this on race dezert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVQFZg5rPhA&feature=playe...

Wow, not only does he use Big Woo's photos... but he can't even spell Ivan's last name correctly!

I wonder if this person is the same one who has stolen other's off road photos in the past??? You know who it is... right?? www.puro-off-road.com ??? Doug is it 'him'?

oladulce - 11-20-2010 at 05:41 PM

Oh well, we all know who took the photos.

Plus they don't have this coveted shot of Hoodie springing in to action-

and nearly loosing his britches.

THAT IS JUST WRONG!

DianaT - 11-20-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Oh well, we all know who took the photos.

Anyone with a U-tube account should tell those jerks they should use their OWN photos---what creeps! Those are amazing photos and they are YOURS---- In this case, they are not only great, but probably marketable. :mad::mad:

Guess I need to create a U-tube account just so I can comment. :fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by DianaT]

Here are a couple of my favorite BigWooo Baja mil pics

oladulce - 11-20-2010 at 07:20 PM

The Flavor of race morning. Bright sunrise through the dust , the smell of lingering campfire smoke. Town and remote rancho folks camped in the dunes and coastal arroyos as far as the eye can see.

No school manaña- it's Baja Mil !

BigWooo - 11-21-2010 at 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Those photos really should be submitted to an appropriate publication----maybe one that covers the Baja 1000-----?

I wouldn't know who to send them to. I've looked and looked for contact info for the Ivan Stewart team. Found pictures of the guys in the car in a promo website, but nothing has contact info. I'd like to send the pictures to them, but so far no luck finding contact info.

I did comment on the you-tube video, but it was deleted. I guess if you put stuff unprotected on the internet that's to be expected :rolleyes:. The full resolution pictures are much better anyway, I decreased them quite a bit to post on the internet.

Bajarat: To me it seemed unlikely they lost control because from my perspective, they appeared to be on a straightaway. I watched it happen though the little viewfinder though and could have easily missed something.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 09:08 AM

I have had my photographs "borrowed" by Mike Overcast, but these photos were properly published in Dirtsports Magazine as well. All I asked for was the credit my photographs deserve.

Quote of the day for Overcast - "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." :light:

bufeo - 11-21-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't know who to send them to. I've looked and looked for contact info for the Ivan Stewart team. ...

Woo, nice photos again. Perhaps you should imbed a watermark-type copyright in them. Easy to do.

On the contact question, I'll make a call tomorrow (Monday) and see if I can come up with an e-mail address for you. Andy's on his way back now and there's weather to deal with.

Sorry about the theft of your photos. That's one of the hazards of placing photos on some of the photo-holding web sites. We've seen the "pirating of photos" right here on Nomad under the pretense of "quoting", but I won't open that can of words just to illustrate my point.

That's a good sequence of pix you took and since Stewart actually finished the race, albeit over 13 hours behind the 1st Place car of Skilton/Grider, he still finished. That's something in itself. (Yeah, I know. That opens it up for the Toy-drivers on this forum, and I'll bet someone will take the bait.)

Allen

DianaT - 11-21-2010 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo

Woo, nice photos again. Perhaps you should imbed a watermark-type copyright in them. Easy to do.

Allen

I certainly do not want to hijack any of this thread, but I have looked for ways to do the watermark thing on photos, and have not been successful. Where to look???

Big Woo, I am sure the full resolution of those photos are even better----did you shoot them in a Raw format? Someone told me that having the RAW photo was a way to prove it is yours ---- because I hope Allen will be able to pass on information to you as to where to submit them.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

I wouldn't know who to send them to. I've looked and looked for contact info for the Ivan Stewart team. Found pictures of the guys in the car in a promo website, but nothing has contact info. I'd like to send the pictures to them, but so far no luck finding contact info.

I did comment on the you-tube video, but it was deleted. I guess if you put stuff unprotected on the internet that's to be expected :rolleyes:. The full resolution pictures are much better anyway, I decreased them quite a bit to post on the internet.

Bajarat: To me it seemed unlikely they lost control because from my perspective, they appeared to be on a straightaway. I watched it happen though the little viewfinder though and could have easily missed something.

I thought everyone here knew...

Baja Angel's son (Josh) works for Ivan Stewart's son (Craig) at Stewart's RaceWorks in Santee. Josh and Craig Stewart were running a pit south of San Felipe and got home yesterday. They do the prep work for Team TSCO (Trophy Truck #9, Gary Weyhrich) and others. I am not sure if the 4Runner Ivan was co-driving was even serviced by them.

I emailed the link to this thread to Josh last night so it could be forwarded to Craig and Ivan. I will call Josh and see if he has seen them or forwarded them yet.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 01:59 PM

Okay, just exchanged text with Josh... He will ask Craig to send Ivan the link... Good for Ivan Stewart to know our own Big Wooo took those photos!

bufeo - 11-21-2010 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT...I certainly do not want to hijack any of this thread, but I have looked for ways to do the watermark thing on photos, and have not been successful. Where to look???... to pass on information to you as to where to submit them.

I'd like not to hijack this nice thread either, but, DianaT, the software that came with all three of my digital cameras include methods of imbedding copyright information. Also, I have one of the well-known photo software programs and it, too, has the ability of copyrighting.

Although I do not use any of the internet repositories for photos, I believe that I saw an article on one of them about adding copyrights. Maybe a search on the web with "copyrighting photos" or some such wording will produce information.

I do know that if I can do it, it must be 'easy'.

Allen R

BigWooo - 11-21-2010 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Okay, just exchanged text with Josh... He will ask Craig to send Ivan the link... Good for Ivan Stewart to know our own Big Wooo took those photos!

Cool, thanks.

And maybe we can get the story behind the rollover.

David K - 11-21-2010 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Cool, thanks.

And maybe we can get the story behind the rollover.

You probably have the best story of the roll over... for the driver of the 4Runner... It probably happened before he realized it and was over just as fast!

How long were they there before they got going again? Do you have any more photos of them?

Here's a couple photos I took of Ivan over 35 years ago!

The 1975 Baja 300 at Santo Tomas, finish line where Ivan just won it...

Here he is standing next to his buggy the day before the start of a SCORE Baja race, Ensenada about 1977...

KAT54 - 11-21-2010 at 05:28 PM

Who is Mike Overcast?

DENNIS - 11-21-2010 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
Who is Mike Overcast?

Maybe you.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2010 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
Who is Mike Overcast?

Mike Overcast/Gary Newsome/Janice Gilmore
ip68-105-89-61.sd.sd.cox.net.

BigWooo - 11-21-2010 at 07:38 PM

David,

No, I only got the one shot of the guys outside the car.

After rolling, the car looked like toast and I was surprised to return a couple hours later and the car was no where in sight. I had no idea it had continued on in the race and wasn't there to see how they got it going again.

David K - 11-23-2010 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I have had my photographs "borrowed" by Mike Overcast, but these photos were properly published in Dirtsports Magazine as well. All I asked for was the credit my photographs deserve.

Quote of the day for Overcast - "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." :light:

A web search found this Ken, seems others have been victimized by him! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3fuZhb1KA

David K - 11-23-2010 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
David,

No, I only got the one shot of the guys outside the car.

After rolling, the car looked like toast and I was surprised to return a couple hours later and the car was no where in sight. I had no idea it had continued on in the race and wasn't there to see how they got it going again.

Wooo, heard from Josh that Craig Stewart has seen your photos (as probably has his dad, Ivan) and said his dad was not driving at the time. He believes the roll was caused by a booby-trap in the course...?

BigWooo - 11-23-2010 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Wooo, heard from Josh that Craig Stewart has seen your photos (as probably has his dad, Ivan) and said his dad was not driving at the time. He believes the roll was caused by a booby-trap in the course...?

That makes sense, because from my perspective anyway, there was no apparent reason for the truck to loose control so abruptly. I could tell they were traveling much faster than the prior cars, seemed more like a trophy truck, but it appeared to happen on a straightaway.

TMW - 11-23-2010 at 11:23 AM

Excellent stuff.

David K - 11-23-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Around 8:00 am on Friday. Approaching the hairpin turn in San Juanico...#778 on track and looking good:

Something went wrong and the truck suddenly left the course:

It did a complete roll and landed back on it's tires:

I was able to talk to the drivers immediately after, and fortunately neither of them were injured (They were going VERY fast). I don't think the same could be said about the truck though:

THE ROLL-OVER RACER GOT SECOND PLACE!!!
Way to Go Ivan and Toyota!!!

STOCK MINI (Stock, Mini trucks)—

1. Gavin Skilton, Anaheim, Calif. (England)/Andy Grider, Los Olivos, Calif., Honda Ridgeline, 29.23:48 (36.12 mph);

2. Ivan Stewart, El Cajon, Calif./Joe Nolan, Wittman, Ariz./Ken Ziesemer, Wittman, Ariz., Toyota 4Runner, 43:28:27.

(3 Starters, 2 Finishers)