BajaNomad

Carlos Fiesta's Plane en route from Mexico crashes in Newport Beach, CA!

Pages:  1    3

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 07:23 AM

source: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/21/local/la-me-1122-pla...

3 killed in plane crash off Newport Beach
Police believe the Beechcraft Musketeer was headed for Torrance from Mexico.
November 21, 2010|By Garrett Therolf and Mike Reicher, Times Staff Writers
A small private plane crashed into the water off Newport Beach on Sunday evening, killing at least three people, Newport Beach police said.

"Whether or not we have more victims, I don't know," Newport Beach Police Sgt. Steve Burdette said.

The single-engine Beechcraft Musketeer was traveling from Mexico to Torrance when the crash occurred at about 5:45 p.m., according to Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Ken Cooke]

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 07:31 AM

Carlos Fiesta has or had or rented a Musketeer and based at Torrance. Sure hope it isn't him.
WX was crappy yesterday!

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Carlos Fiesta has or had or rented a Musketeer and based at Torrance. Sure hope it isn't him.
WX was crappy yesterday!

Ditto. I met Carlos Fiesta at David K's "Amigo" party several years ago, and the identities of the passengers are not yet being released to the public.

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 07:36 AM

According to NBC4 News, the pilot was running low on fuel, he radioed traffic controllers, and he could not make it to the street outside of Fashion Island where he was prepared to land. Yes, it is a Musketteer plane based in Torrance - possibly a rental.

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 07:36 AM

i am searching the FAA data base now with the N numbers i can make out.

i am not using his real name for obvious reasons.

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 07:44 AM

this is not good....

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 07:52 AM

well i am hoping for the best but if it is NOT a friend then there are way too many coincidences here.
Torrance is not an AOE tho for customs so he must have come from Brown or Calexico. Should have had plenty of gas if he topped.
again - WX was CRAPPY!! my friend was not IFR rated but even that doesn't help depending on many variables and what class of plane you're in.

troubling...:no::(

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 07:57 AM

well i just confirmed the registrant's address and the news is not good.

can't speculate who was officially on board but i know who traveled in it regularly. :?:Ditto who was piloting the Beech, but most likely the owner.

sad day for many.

very sad day for baja enthusiasts - if it was CF

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 08:42 AM

Three people died Sunday evening when a commuter plane owned by a real estate agent from Palos Verdes Estates crashed in the Newport Beach Back Bay, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

The single-engine Beechcraft Muskateer was flying from Mexico to Torrance Airport when it crashed into the water about 5:45 p.m., said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor.

The plane was reported to be upside down in the water, and all three people on board were believed to be dead, Gregor said.

The plane is registered to Chuck Chambers, a prominent real estate agent based in Palos Verdes Estates.

It was unknown whether Chambers was on board at the time of the crash.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the cause of the crash, Gregor said.

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 08:45 AM

Chuck Chambers did not look like Carlos Fiesta, but I don't know if Carlos Fiesta would possibly have been a passenger. No Se.

Sad day indeed

bajaguy - 11-22-2010 at 08:47 AM

Juan del Rio

Senior Nomad
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on 5-9-2007 at 06:34 PM

Carlos Fiesta...

My friend, Carlos Fiesta (aka Chuck Chambers), did the entire Baja Peninsula from San Pedro to the mouth of the Colorado River. I' sure he would love to talk to you about your adventure! Email him at: carlosfiesta@hotmail.com He loves to talk Baja!!!

He is a great guy. I have known him since High School and can tell you he has not changed at all. He has driven all over the Baja Peninsula for the past 30 years and many trips by private plane as a pilot/small aircaft owner. I can also vouch that he had no prior sea/ocean experience other than one trip around the Palos Verdes Peninsula wth me and a few houseboat trips to Lake Mead/Powell and oh yeah, he hates to work on mechanical things...leaves it to the pros. He found a 19' Fijian Panga with a used 40hp motor, loaded it up with a lot of 5 gallon gas cans, an inflatable boat, sleeping pad/bag, a small amout of food (I'm not sure if he took tools), a new AAA Baja Map and one month experience with a new GPS. A little over 30 days from taking off from San Pedro, our friend, Dave Dennis, picked him up with a boat trailer in San Felipe after he had reached the mouth of the Colorado River. The Panga now resides at Juan y Juan's in San Juanico and is still used for fishing and an occasional surfing expedition to the secret surf spot. Carlos has not been back on the boat since. Go figure.

David K - 11-22-2010 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Chuck Chambers did not look like Carlos Fiesta, but I don't know if Carlos Fiesta would possibly have been a passenger. No Se.

This is Carlos Fiesta, who is Chuck Chambers...

(Viva Baja #3 in 2002)

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by David K]

shari - 11-22-2010 at 08:58 AM

our sincere condolences to all their family and friends...a moment of silence for these baja enthusiasts...a tragedy indeed.

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 08:58 AM

God i hope John F. [Juan] wasn't with him.:no::(
this is terrible.

That is terrible news. That is who I saw on the NBC4 newscast this morning.

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

(Viva Baja #3 in 2002)

David K - 11-22-2010 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(Viva Baja #3 in 2002)

Carlos (Chuck) and Kacey Smith (Baja GPS Guide author) at Viva Baja #1, 10 years ago...

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 09:17 AM

kEN, I CAN'T find the video news link do you have?

Here is video

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 09:39 AM

ABC 7 News

My condolences to everyone this accident has affected.

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
ABC 7 News

My condolences to everyone this accident has affected.

Fox LA Video

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 09:44 AM

the worst part of it too is so close to holidays.
as soon as funeral arrangments are avail will someone connected to the families pls post?

my guess they were at SJ for the race?? juanyjuan's place?

Natalie Ann - 11-22-2010 at 09:48 AM

Such very sad news.
Prayers for friends and family of the victims.

nena

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
the worst part of it too is so close to holidays.
as soon as funeral arrangments are avail will someone connected to the families pls post?

my guess they were at SJ for the race?? juanyjuan's place?

It would be great to know if this could be verified. I am sure with the NTSB and FAA investigation findings, perhaps names of the three men will be released today.

This is tragic news for the Amigos de Baja, Baja Expo, and Nomad forum communities.

Carlos Fiesta's Baja Expo

http://www.chuckchambers.com

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 11-22-2010 at 09:55 AM

Carlos is one of the nicest people I have ever met... He took over doing the Baja Calendar from Marv last year and he recently sent me a letter announcing the new calendar was ready.... that is when I posted about it here.

Hook - 11-22-2010 at 09:57 AM

Was just on his website to see if there is any information.

What jumped out at me was the quote from him across the home page:

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrrow." - Carlos Fiesta

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Carlos is one of the nicest people I have ever met... He took over doing the Baja Calendar from Marv last year and he recently sent me a letter announcing the new calendar was ready.... that is when I posted about it here.

I am very sorry to hear this, David. Carlos was a very nice guy as I remember at your Baja event you held in San Clemente back in 2000? I also saw that the Baja Calendar was available on Carlos Fiesta's website as well. This is very bad news.

The Sculpin - 11-22-2010 at 10:58 AM

He almost landed on top of our hotel!! Not sure how he was going to land on Newport Center drive. It is fairly short, and what's at the end is not pretty. This is very tragic, but as any pilot knows, he had the sense to ditch it away from danger. His last heroic jesture.

LancairDriver - 11-22-2010 at 11:16 AM

From the Baja Bush Pilots board:

We just received news here in San Juanico and are very sad. Chuck was here for the Baja Mil with a couiple buddies and we had a hell of a good time. I'm blessed have become one of his friends and hear about all the crazy stories and adventures he has accomplished in his life. Our Hearts go out to Chuck's and his passengers families.

RIP Carlos Fiesta

David K - 11-22-2010 at 11:19 AM

:no:

BillP - 11-22-2010 at 11:23 AM

From KABC:

The victims were identified as Russell Urban of Rancho Palos Verdes, Sean Kelly of Hermosa Beach and Charles Chambers of Palos Verdes Estates.

capt. mike - 11-22-2010 at 11:48 AM

crap, i met both Russ and Sean when i was part of a 4 plane flotilla of sorts, organized by Carlos and John taking 16 guys to Juan Y juan's for an August surf trip. i think 2004 but i need to check my logs.

i can't believe it still. We were going to hook up for a group flight to PSFO soon.

Cap - 11-22-2010 at 11:48 AM

Dark day indeed..
I only knew him casually, but he seemed to have a great sense of humor and adventure. My deepest sympathys to all affected by this tragedy.

JESSE - 11-22-2010 at 11:49 AM

Sad day.

BornFisher - 11-22-2010 at 12:26 PM

Thoughts and prayers to family. Sad day indeed.

GregN - 11-22-2010 at 03:12 PM

I am truly saddened. Carlos' enthusiasm, upbeat attitude and zest were infectious. I loved his stories. Baja has lost another legend.

tripledigitken - 11-22-2010 at 04:59 PM

:(:(:(:?::(:(:(

Paulina - 11-22-2010 at 05:13 PM

Our condolences to all the friends and families involved. I'm so sorry.

Paulina

Keri - 11-22-2010 at 05:20 PM

My condolences to all his family and friends. RIP.k

Bajahowodd - 11-22-2010 at 05:25 PM

Condolences to his friends and family. I met him a couple of times. If there's anything positive to say, it's that he died doing what he loved. How much sadder if it had been an accident on the 405 or wasting away from cancer?

flyfishinPam - 11-22-2010 at 05:40 PM

14 years ago I spent a weekend in Ensenada with some friends. My truck was broken into and it appeared as though something scared whoever it was that did it because the ignition switch was already out but it had just been abandoned. After dealing with the police report and insurance guy Carlos Fiesta decided to take us out for a night of fun.

I remember him having the specific goal of plastering his Baja Expo stickers everywhere in Baja. You can still find them. They are high quality white plastic in the shape of a european oval license plaque that say BAJA and the word expo in red.

He had several ways of doing the sticking of the stickers without being caught. In Houssongs he stood next to the door and put his hand against it as though he were leaning on it. Then when he lifted his hand a sticker would be there. If something was within arm's reach of the car while in motion or stopped, he'd make it a new home for one of those stickers.

They were everywhere for awhile, every booth at San Ysidro had at least one, the back and front of road signs, windows of hotels, restaurants, bars and cars. That's evidence enough that he's been all around the baja and met a lot of us. Folks all up and down the peninsula just lost a friend.

we'll always remember ya Carlos!

Pamela y Cuervo

CaboMagic - 11-22-2010 at 05:44 PM

We too extend our condolences on this tragic news ...

woody with a view - 11-22-2010 at 06:27 PM

RIP:saint:

The True Mark of a Sucessful Real Estate Guy

Bajahowodd - 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
14 years ago I spent a weekend in Ensenada with some friends. My truck was broken into and it appeared as though something scared whoever it was that did it because the ignition switch was already out but it had just been abandoned. After dealing with the police report and insurance guy Carlos Fiesta decided to take us out for a night of fun.

I remember him having the specific goal of plastering his Baja Expo stickers everywhere in Baja. You can still find them. They are high quality white plastic in the shape of a european oval license plaque that say BAJA and the word expo in red.

He had several ways of doing the sticking of the stickers without being caught. In Houssongs he stood next to the door and put his hand against it as though he were leaning on it. Then when he lifted his hand a sticker would be there. If something was within arm's reach of the car while in motion or stopped, he'd make it a new home for one of those stickers.

They were everywhere for awhile, every booth at San Ysidro had at least one, the back and front of road signs, windows of hotels, restaurants, bars and cars. That's evidence enough that he's been all around the baja and met a lot of us. Folks all up and down the peninsula just lost a friend.

we'll always remember ya Carlos!

Pamela y Cuervo

PJC - 11-22-2010 at 06:36 PM

Very sad! The race itself was one of very low injuries and mishaps and now this....

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 06:47 PM

tiotomasbcs - 11-22-2010 at 06:54 PM

W/o even knowing this guy I miss him. Great way to go, however. Big weekend to Baja 1000 in San Juanico. There's many a man & woman I will never meet but will mourn their loss. Adios, Amigos. Tio

David K - 11-22-2010 at 07:01 PM

Carlos was the cream of the crop, the best of the best... We have lost a great friend to the Baja community... I met him over 10 years ago and he was always supportive of our events, attended all the Viva Baja parties, and enthusiastic over anything Baja related. I think I last saw him at Mexico Ted's Mexico Expo...

Ken Cooke - 11-22-2010 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
I met him over 10 years ago and he was always supportive of our events, attended all the Viva Baja parties, and enthusiastic over anything Baja related. I think I last saw him at Mexico Ted's Mexico Expo...

David - Thanks for throwing your Viva Baja! parties and also inviting me. It was a great opportunity for so many of us to congregate and talk Baja (and eat great food). Please do another event in the near future.:light:

DianaT - 11-22-2010 at 07:21 PM

So very sad for their families----

allanbartlett - 11-22-2010 at 08:26 PM

Very sad day for all Baja amigos. RIP to all three of them.

Baja&Back - 11-22-2010 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrrow."
- Carlos Fiesta

Now, that's a guy who lived his motto!!

Met him once at a Viva Baja, read his story of running Baja in a Boston Whaler. An impressive man.

Vaya con Dios ...

BajaNomad - 11-22-2010 at 10:22 PM

The community of Baja California travelers has lost one of its most highly valued - and contributing - family members.

We are incredibly saddened by this tragedy. :no:

Our thoughts and prayers right now are with the immediate families of Chuck Chambers, Russell Urban, and Sean Kelly - as well as everyone in their "extended" families.

-
Doug Means and family.

The Sculpin - 11-22-2010 at 10:24 PM

A bit contrarian, but why is this so sad? The guy had a zest for life. He lived life to the fullest. We all have to die. He left doing what he loved. Is that really so bad? As B&B said - via con dios, amigo.

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by The Sculpin]

BajaNews - 11-22-2010 at 11:03 PM

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newport-plane-crash-...

By Mike Reicher
November 23, 2010

After five days of surfing and Mexican food, the three buddies were flying home to the South Bay from Scorpion Bay, the world-class surf break on the Baja Peninsula.

They had eaten a roasted pig with other travelers, watched an off-road truck race and enjoyed the sun. But on the last leg of their journey home, the trip took a tragic turn.

Veteran pilot and surfer Chuck Chambers radioed air traffic controllers that he was diverting his four-seat plane to John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana because it was low on fuel.

He never made it.

Chambers, 58, a Palos Verdes Estates real estate broker, and his two friends — Russell Urban, 63, and Sean Kelly, 44 — were killed Sunday night when their single-engine Beechcraft Musketeer crashed into the Back Bay, an ecological preserve in the heart of Newport Beach. Federal investigators Monday were examining the wreckage to determine what caused the accident.

"Nothing has ever happened before," said Judy Urban, who said her husband was a retired schoolteacher. "He always complimented his friend, the pilot, because he was meticulous. That would make me feel comfortable."

Whereas previous trips to Mexico had been mixed with charity work, this one was pure fun. They had watched the Baja 1000 off-road race and ridden the waves at Scorpion Bay, nearly 800 miles south of Tijuana.

"He had been a Baja lover since he was 16. It was his passion," said Chambers' widow, Leslie.

"They are older, established men, and they still have that love of surfing," she added.

On Sunday morning, the three men started on their trip home after stopping to refuel in San Felipe, said Leslie Chambers.

Her husband left an upbeat voice message saying that they would be home before 5 p.m., she said.

They made an intermediate stop in Calexico, a California border town south of the Salton Sea, but it was unclear if they refueled then, Leslie Chambers said.

National Transportation Safety Board lead investigator Wayne Pollack said he found "minimal fuel" in the engine compartment, but stopped short of saying whether the plane had run out of fuel.

The pilot called the tower at John Wayne to warn that it was running low on fuel, said airport spokeswoman Jenny Wedge. The airport is less than five miles from the site of the crash.

The plane, built in 1968 was pulled from a mud flat in the Back Bay on Monday afternoon as the U.S. Coast Guard worked to control any contaminants released into the sensitive Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve.

Chuck Chambers/Carlos Fiesta

Juan del Rio - 11-22-2010 at 11:38 PM

Chuck, along with two other friends, Russ Urban (my three son’s third grade teacher and “Teacher of the Year” in Palos Verdes) along with Sean Kelly (surfing buddy) were killed last night. They were coming back from spending the night in Mulege. I last saw him take off from Cadeje Airstrip on Saturday afternoon. He was heading to the Serenidad Hotel. Carlos wanted Russ and Sean to experience the Saturday Night Pig Roast, even though he had done it so many times in the past. Chuck also wanted to get an earlier start on Sunday morning to avoid getting back to Torrance Airport after dark. He last spoke with his wife in San Felipe at 11:00 am yesterday getting fuel and expected to land in Torrance by 4:30 after getting more fuel in Calexico and clearing U.S. Customs.
His wife Leslie and daughter, Tracey are doing as well as can be expected. I have also spoken with Russ' wife Judy and Sean's wife, Laura. Everyone is in complete shock.
Chuck died while trying to avoid the populated area surrounding John Wayne where he was trying to make an emergency landing. This was classic Chuck.

My friend Bert Lein wrote this to me earlier today as I was flying back from Loreto to LAX:
"There is nothing I or anyone can say to alleviate the pain we all feel after a tragedy like this.
When people die prematurely or accidentally, we always ask why? There is no answer except to quote the old saw, “life is not fair" of course that is of small comfort to the survivors. All we are left with is the fact they will always live on in our memories, especially those memories of the good times.
They go; we stay. The earth turns, constant change."
Bert and his family were with us in San Juanico for the Baja Mil.

I took this last photo of Carlos on Saturday afternoon as he was preparing to take-off. He was giving the gentleman who is in charge of the airstrip some gifts (as he had always done with almost everyone he meets). The Tee-shirt was a gift but, it says "Carlos Fiesta". Yes, he lived life to the fullest for sure.

The outpouring from the Baja Nomads community is overwhelming. He would be so honored by all of you.

Chuck Chambers/Carlos Fiesta:
August 21, 1952 "dash" November 21, 2010
He truly lived the "dash" in life to the fullest.

Carlos, Russ and Sean, go fly with the Angels my friends and fly far...

P1220025X.JPG - 48kB

David K - 11-22-2010 at 11:57 PM

Thank you for sharing Juan...

Bob H - 11-23-2010 at 12:07 AM

Oh man, this is so very sad. An unbelievable loss, and one incredible man.. Bob H

capt. mike - 11-23-2010 at 04:51 AM

that was great John. i know 1st hand how close you guys all are.
please send me the info on services when they are available. you have my email.
i'll cherish the time in Nov 2001 when Chuck motored into Mulege up the river on his odessy in the figian panga and broke the prop which we got fixed for him, and he and i met at the bar 1st time as planned via our prior emailing and off the old amigo's board. What a guy! What a life's worth of adventure!

schwlind - 11-23-2010 at 09:56 AM

Oh my God....

I am so very sad to hear this terrible news... While I didn't know Chuck... I spoke to him 2-1/2 weeks ago to order 12 Baja calendars...

Our deepest sympathy and condolences to all the families and friends of Chuck and the other two on board...

A horrible tragedy!

Linda

slimshady - 11-23-2010 at 10:05 AM

So close to the airport, less than a mile away. How horrible! RIP

From The LA Times

SUNDOG - 11-23-2010 at 11:32 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newport-plane-crash-...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaNomad]

elgatoloco - 11-23-2010 at 12:23 PM

RIP. Hearts go out to friends and family left to make sense of the tragedy and deal with the loss.

We had the pleasure of meeting 'Carlos' only once but it was obvious that the 'Fiesta' moniker was appropriate. He knew how to enjoy himself and get everyone he met into the party mode.

oladulce - 11-23-2010 at 12:49 PM

Juan de rio, a very nice tribute (and email) about your good friend Carlos.

We saw the other 2 passengers surfing at 3rd point a few days ago. They were in the water for hours riding tiny waves all to themselves and we commented "those guys have been out there forever". Now they truly will be.

Our sincere condolences to their families and friends.

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by oladulce]

Sallysouth - 11-23-2010 at 02:48 PM

Oh crap.Carlos was one really nice guy and very interesting.What a book he could've written!I met him with one of my daughters, at DavidK's Amigo party in Carlsbad.I remember how warm and funny he was, and a complete gentleman. Surely he will be missed by many and our condolences to his family as well as the other two Baja lovers that were with Carlos.RIP Carlos....:saint:

Ken Bondy - 11-23-2010 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
i'll cherish the time in Nov 2001 when Chuck motored into Mulege up the river on his odessy in the figian panga and broke the prop which we got fixed for him, and he and i met at the bar 1st time as planned via our prior emailing and off the old amigo's board. What a guy! What a life's worth of adventure!

mike from the above messages it seems that they cleared Mexican customs in San Felipe, then flew to Calexico for US customs, then headed for Torrance. Do you know if that was correct?

David K - 11-23-2010 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Oh crap. Carlos was one really nice guy and very interesting. What a book he could've written! I met him with one of my daughters, at David K's Viva Baja party in Oceanside. I remember how warm and funny he was, and a complete gentleman. Surely he will be missed by many and our condolences to his family as well as the other two Baja lovers that were with Carlos. RIP Carlos....:saint:

He did write a book!
Carlos Fiesta's Ocean Odyssey

Here is your daughter and Carlos at Viva Baja-3 (2002):

no Ken i do not but....

capt. mike - 11-23-2010 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

mike from the above messages it seems that they cleared Mexican customs in San Felipe, then flew to Calexico for US customs, then headed for Torrance. Do you know if that was correct?

from what i have gathered he did go to calexico which would make sense, gassing was or should have been expected - most of it does not tho - and i will refrain from expounding here since there were deaths, there is another thread on the subject elsewhere dealing with a lot of speculation and "get home itis" always looms in these things - the Douglas thing in the cherokee 6 for eg.

lots of bad stuff about incl local WX which was crap, daylite ending and gas qty etc. A ditch in fixed gear is never pretty either. If it was about missing homes what a hero!!
There but for the grace of Dios and all that applies.

there is a reason for the term, Time to spare, go by air.
i hope to be with his friends at services but waiting on word.

Unfortunate

MrBillM - 11-23-2010 at 06:40 PM

That three people end up dead as a result of not maintaining a safe reserve of fuel.

LancairDriver - 11-23-2010 at 06:47 PM

The old saying most pilots have heard many times about the three most useless things in flying are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you and....
3. The fuel left behind in the tank

Never more true.

Ken Cooke - 11-23-2010 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
That three people end up dead as a result of not maintaining a safe reserve of fuel.

Just like Capt. Mike had mentioned, "The WX was bad". I am sure headwinds from the cold front that had been approaching decreased the amount of fuel in Carlos Fiesta's fuel tank. Had he known that his plane might not have made it to Torrance, I am certain this would not have happened.

Sallysouth - 11-23-2010 at 09:35 PM

Thanks David.Now I really want that book.I still can't believe he is gone...The man was so full of life and positive energy.

slimshady - 11-23-2010 at 09:43 PM

From the looks of the location of the crash. It appears he planned on ditching the aircraft in the upper bay. There is residential housing all around this bay and he tried his best to bring it down safely. May they RIP.

33°37'47.50"N 117°53'11.37"W on Google earth is the spot.

Stickers - 11-23-2010 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

Just like Capt. Mike had mentioned, "The WX was bad". I am sure headwinds from the cold front that had been approaching decreased the amount of fuel in Carlos Fiesta's fuel tank. Had he known that his plane might not have made it to Torrance, I am certain this would not have happened.

I was at the airport that afternoon and there was a stiff westerly wind blowing about 20mph at Santa Monica. His course from Calexico to Torrance would have put him smack into that headwind........RIP

bigjohn - 11-24-2010 at 12:33 AM

Update in the OC Register regarding the crash.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/plane-277460-say-coroner.html

Marla Daily - 11-24-2010 at 06:54 AM

"On Sunday morning, the three men started on their trip home after stopping to refuel in San Felipe, said Leslie Chambers."

Did they get the fuel they thought they did? I was recently told of a plane that was shorted on fuel at San Felipe. Pilot paid for 15 gallons but only got 10, despite pilot's insistence he was shorted.

On a HAPPY note, Carlos Fiesta left behind a Baja manuscript with a friend in Loreto. Stay tuned...

capt. mike - 11-24-2010 at 06:56 AM

"Just like Capt. Mike had mentioned, "The WX was bad". I am sure headwinds from the cold front that had been approaching decreased the amount of fuel in Carlos Fiesta's fuel tank. Had he known that his plane might not have made it to Torrance, I am certain this would not have happened"

the problem here is one can recheck the ETA against fuel burn via ground speed calcs all the time enroute. used to have to keep the whiz wheel at the ready but now GPS and fuel totalizers are prevalent. Most hate to do a let down not planned and the pressure is to stretch it - but you can only stretch so far.

gas left in the tank - that is to say gas left in the dispensary and not placed in the tank.

Plane Crash Update Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Juan del Rio - 11-24-2010 at 02:31 PM

Last night, Leslie (his wife) told me that she had spoken with the one of the investigators who was on the site of the crash. Russ Urban was in the back seat, Sean Kelly was next to Carlos at the door. She said that they survived the crash, landed upside down in murky water. Chuck had his seat belt off and his hands and body was positioned to try and to release Sean’s seat belt. The firemen were able to release Sean’s body from his seat belt, but had to cut Russ’s seat belt to remove him.

They are still investigating the final cause of crash. The plane was in perfect mechanical order, current annual and all other paperwork related for operating an aircraft was up to general aviation standards. Records show that he had purchased gas in San Felipe and Calexico.

We are all now trying to plan his memorial service. How do you cram Carlos fricken life into five days of planning and a two hour memorial service on the beach??? You don’t…especially for someone like Carlos.

It is now planned for Sunday at 3:00 pm. at Torrance Beach. To all Baja Nomads... I know he would appreciate it if you were here…but many of you (like me) would be a fish out of Baja. I know he’d rather have you at a memorial service in Baja anyway. Carlos wouldn’t want it any other way. His book, calendar, etc. are still being sorted out. Leslie had told me that I could bring some of his ashes to back to Baja and scatter them there. I had picked up some sand from out front of Juan y Juan’s when I left on Monday and will mix it with the beach sand here when I say my good bye’s to him after the eulogy. I will never say good bye to him in Baja. He will always live on for sure at Juan y Juan’s. His spirit soars.

Leslie is not ready to return yet, but she said she’d be back someday to Baja. Carlos will be ready for her.

[Edited on 11-24-2010 by Juan del Rio]

Chuck Chambers Memorial FlyerX.jpg - 49kB

David K - 11-24-2010 at 02:52 PM

Thank You Juan...

MexicoTed - 11-24-2010 at 05:26 PM

Wow, I am so sorry to hear of this. I met Chuck a number of times and even spoke with him on the phone. He loved Baja and we had some great conversations. He'll be missed for you.

Ted

capt. mike - 11-25-2010 at 06:56 AM

thx for that, John.
a larger than life guy.

Hook - 11-25-2010 at 08:03 AM

Refueled in San Felipe AND Calexico? Is that common? They are so close.

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2010 at 08:06 AM

Quote:

There's an old Baja flying axiom that you never miss an opportunity to top off your tanks so it's not uncommon.

Barry A. - 11-25-2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

There's an old Baja flying axiom that you never miss an opportunity to top off your tanks so it's not uncommon.

Ken-----You are so right!!!! And in the "old days" that applied to the groundbased vehs. too, in Baja. You just never know for sure whats next.

I was wondering if somehow the plane developed a fuel leak that was not readily apparent------Calexico to the destination is not that far, even with a strong headwind, is it ?!?!?!?!

Barry

DENNIS - 11-25-2010 at 10:29 AM

Landing in the shallows of Back Bay??? At low tide, much of the bottom is exposed. I assume he wanted to be close to shore.
What a tragedy.

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Ken-----You are so right!!!! And in the "old days" that applied to the groundbased vehs. too, in Baja. You just never know for sure whats next.

I was wondering if somehow the plane developed a fuel leak that was not readily apparent------Calexico to the destination is not that far, even with a strong headwind, is it ?!?!?!?!

Barry

No it's not. Calexico to Torrance is about 190 nm. The Musketeer has a range of 676 nm (it cruises at 102 knots and carries 58 gallons of fuel, burns about 9 gal/hr). Even with a constant 50 knot wind on the nose it would have had more than 2 hours of reserve to get to Torrance (assuming it took off full out of Calexico). Very puzzling.

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 12:38 PM

As mentioned earlier, the maximum allowable gross weight would have precluded filling the tanks with three adults and baggage, so the range was shortened considerably from its maximum. This was a stricture that existed for the entire trip, from its inception. "We can travel only so-and-so before refueling is necessary" (Note; FAR's require a reserve be added when computing time enroute)

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2010 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidamone
As mentioned earlier, the maximum allowable gross weight would have precluded filling the tanks with three adults and baggage, so the range was shortened considerably from its maximum. This was a stricture that existed for the entire trip, from its inception. "We can travel only so-and-so before refueling is necessary" (Note; FAR's require a reserve be added when computing time enroute)

Not necessarily Sidamone. Gross weight of the Musketeer is 2400# and empty weight is 1375#. With full fuel (348#) the useful load would have been 677#. That seems reasonably adequate for three male adults, about 100# of luggage, and full fuel. Again, we are all speculating but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me that they would have left Calexico with full fuel.

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 02:15 PM

Payload 700#, empty weight a/c, 1375#, for a total of 2075, leaving 325# for fuel and oil (15# ). 310# fuel at a burn rate of 54#/hr gives 5.74 hrs endurance. To travel 190nm. If completed, the flight would have averaged 33kts. As it didn't complete, that makes the average groundspeed all the slower. Slow enough to produce alarm in anyone, and all verified by sinking gas gauge needles. The Feds will be able to determine groundspeed with radar data, but more's the pity, no data exists for the decision making process used.

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by Sidamone]

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2010 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Payload 700#, empty weight a/c, 1375#, for a total of 2075, leaving 325# for fuel and oil (15# ). 310# fuel at a burn rate of 54#/hr gives 5.74 hrs endurance. To travel 190nm. If completed, the flight would have averaged 33kts. As it didn't complete, that makes the average groundspeed all the slower. Slow enough to produce alarm in anyone, and all verified by sinking gas gauge needles. The Feds will be able to determine groundspeed with radar data, but more's the pity, no data exists for the decision making process used.

I am bewildered by your calculations. Are you actually saying that you think the flight was in the air for 5.74 hours between Calexico and Newport Beach?

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by Ken Bondy]

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 02:50 PM

Which part is bewildering?

Barry A. - 11-25-2010 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Which part is bewildering?

Your conclusions.

Barry

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 03:48 PM

Either the tanks were filled and the aircraft was airborne for almost six hours, or they weren't filled. I believe it's already been stated this is all speculative, by us who have no knowledge of what time or to what extent they were re-fueled, nor how they spent the intervening time leading up to 5:30 or thereabouts.

Barry A. - 11-25-2010 at 03:57 PM

Yes, thats a "given" sidamone. That is what we are doing----speculating!!! We were just pointing out that this scenario is puzzleing, considering what we know at this time, that is all.

We will have to wait and see what the "facts" reveal, if ever known.

As pilots, Ken and I are curious.

Barry

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by Barry A.]

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 04:26 PM

Actually, you pointed out my calculations, which you called conclusions, were bewildering. Which bewilders me, was there an error?

Carlos Fiesta's Baja Memorial

Juan del Rio - 11-25-2010 at 04:30 PM

A group of friends and local residents are planning a paddle- out/memorial service for Carlos Fiesta in San Juanico on Sunday, November 28th at 3:30 pm. This will coincide with a fly-over at Torrance Beach from the local, "Yak" Flying Club. In San Juanico, the lowering of JyJ’s "wind flag" that has been flying at half mast since Monday at Juan y Juan's, will follow. The flag will be given to his wife. Shots of Tequila will flow after that. If you are in the area, please stop by and raise your shot glass and toast a true Baja Nomad!

scan0001X.jpg - 46kB

Barry A. - 11-25-2010 at 07:23 PM

Sidimone-------Go back to Ken's last post--------I think that will end your bewilderrnent.

Barry

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Sidimone-------Go back to Ken's last post--------I think that will end your bewilderrnent.

Barry

Do you have anything to posit yourself. Since you're a pilot and all?

Ken Bondy - 11-25-2010 at 09:26 PM

Sidamone

As Barry pointed out, I think I clearly explained my bewilderment in my last post - your assumption that the aircraft was in the air for 5.74 hrs after it left Calexico. Don't understand why you are getting so snippy.

++Ken++

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 09:46 PM

Who's snippy? He chimed in and professed bewilderment, without so much as a word stating any facts. I asked if he had anything to contribute. Where's the bewilderment coming from? I used your data to state an irrefutable fact; that if the airplane was full as you assumed it to be, that it had an endurance of over five hours.

Good to hear you re-join the discourse. If the airplane wasn't in the air, where do you suppose it was, since the people had informed their families they were headed home?

rv6mike - 11-25-2010 at 10:27 PM

Y all the BS. or speculation. If he had the fuel regardless of headwinds this would be a no brainer, Could have stopped in Oceanside or Carlsbad. If It was a mechanical problem it is a sad ending, The NTSB has the last word. The news report said he was in contact with OC tower, any idea what was said???? RIP!!

[Edited on 11-26-2010 by rv6mike]

Sidamone - 11-25-2010 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rv6mike
Y all the BS. or speculation. If he had the fuel regardless of headwinds this would be a no brainer, Could have stopped in Oceanside or Carlsbad. If It was a mechanical problem it is a sad ending, The NTSB has the last word. The news report said he was in contact with OC tower, any idea what was said???? RIP!!

A TV reporter in a link supplied here, said the pilot reported "fuel problems" to tower.

Pages:  1    3