BajaNomad

Photo Road Guide: TJ - Ensenada Toll Road ( I can see your house from here!)

Pompano - 11-29-2010 at 07:52 AM

The following photos were all taken in October and November, 2010.

Windshield shots. What? You expected me to get out of my comfy captain's chair and take them? Not a chance.

I-5 Southbound to border

Da Borda..
|

To Ensenada Toll Road..

Easy..just stay in the right lane..:rolleyes:

Through the Valley of Sewage..then Up and Over the Hill of Fences.

Welcome to the ..ah..Scenic Highway.

First toll booth of three. Motorhomes are 55 pesos..less for your four-wheeler. (car/pickup)

The following are roadside scenes from the toll road to Ensenada. Boy-o-boy..times have sure changed the landscape from 40 years ago...

See if you can spot your house..or neighborhood?

The Infamous Tuna Pens!

ENSENADA

Well..? Did you spot your house, resort, store, or barrio?

[Edited on 12-1-2010 by Pompano]

jeans - 11-29-2010 at 08:18 AM

Nope.... you blew right past my mom's house:lol:

Ken Bondy - 11-29-2010 at 08:27 AM

Can't tell you how much I appreciated those Roger. Thank you!

DENNIS - 11-29-2010 at 08:37 AM

Quote:

Well..? Did you spot your house, resort, store, or barrio?

I saw the Sharky's sign, but it's for a different type of watering hole. It's a good car-wash.
Thanks, Roger. You're right. Things have grown a lot over the years.

David K - 11-29-2010 at 08:59 AM

Great job Roger!

It is cool that the signs even spell the towns correctly! :lol:

Jack Swords - 11-29-2010 at 09:21 AM

Thanks, refreshed my memory for our annual trek down starting next Sunday. We take the waterfront route through Ensenada, then back up to the highway. Lots of work to post these, again thanks.

elgatoloco - 11-29-2010 at 10:24 AM

Nice. You got some shots of our slice of paradise. Looks like high tide and some good waves at the secret beach break! :dudette::cool:

Funny how they renamed the 'Toll Road' to the 'Scenic Road' right about the time the high rises starting going up and blocking the scenery. :lol:

Viva Mexico!

Daveylikesit - 11-29-2010 at 12:15 PM

Great post.
Heading down for the first time in January.I'll have to keep that on file. Any extra charges if you are towing

BornFisher - 11-29-2010 at 01:05 PM

Saw my "Hood", just past Big Jesus Mountain!!!!

Great Highway Pictorial

Gypsy Jan - 11-29-2010 at 03:31 PM

Welcome to my hood, you really highighted the notable "landmarks" on that stretch of road.

P.S. "See my house from the road?" No, you didn't! :dudette:

Skipjack Joe - 11-29-2010 at 03:49 PM

Whoa, you didn't get a picture of Jesus?

Well, maybe his lights were off.

Martyman - 11-29-2010 at 04:04 PM

He's at a giant Jesus convention with the new polish Jesus and the Rio Jesus.

kiterkip - 11-29-2010 at 09:02 PM

Thanks! I really was was needing this for my road guide through TJ. The TomTom GPS with Mexico Maps seems to have brain fart through this stretch. I'm going to be so happy when I see those beaches!!

Paulina - 11-29-2010 at 09:13 PM

Pompano,

I wanted to be the first to travel with a Loon on my dashboard. Leave it to you to beat me to it.

Your windshield is way too clean.

The turn off to La Bufadora photo made me homesick even though I was just there less than 24 hrs ago.

Thanks,
P<*)))>{

Pompano - 11-30-2010 at 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Whoa, you didn't get a picture of Jesus?

Well, maybe his lights were off.

Forgive me my forgetfulness, Igor. Actually, I do have a photo of Jesus for you...also taken on that trip. This statue makes quite a landmark, no?

kiterkip - 11-30-2010 at 09:42 AM

Pampano,
So sorry to be a pest again.... But, You travelled through the border at TJ in lane number 3. If I have my FMM and I want it to get it stamped, what lane should I get into? I will also have a vehicle that I plan to travel throughout Mexico (mainland) and need my car checked out. I've also heard for word of mouth that I could just drive straight though and get this accomplished in Loreto.
I know this has been answered in other threads/forums, I just would like a confirmation.
TIA,
Kip in Tacoma Wa.

David K - 11-30-2010 at 09:49 AM

The far right one marked 'Something to Declare'... an automatic gate opens as you approach it... Otherwise, find a parking place beyond on the right... a real mess sometimes.

Alan - 11-30-2010 at 09:53 AM

K-58, K-72, San Miguel.... Ah the misspent days of my youth. Yep, the landscape sure has changed over the last 40 yrs. :lol:

Bajagypsy - 11-30-2010 at 11:22 AM

Didn't see my house, but you made me homesick!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 11-30-2010 at 11:34 AM

Hola pampano, i thank you for the great driving tutorial !!

is it possible to do the same when you return to the states starting from the turnoff to san diego ?

i always get lost going home annually through t.j., especially at the end of the road along the fence to the border crossing.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Pompano - 12-2-2010 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT

is it possible to do the same when you return to the states starting from the turnoff to san diego ?

i always get lost going home annually through t.j., especially at the end of the road along the fence to the border crossing.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

I will certainly try, DESERT RAT..

But it may be a while before I head north thru Tijuana again, as the Ensenada-Tecate northbound route is my preference.

bajaguy - 12-2-2010 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Rat.........check your u2u

kiterkip - 11-5-2014 at 10:20 AM

Does anyone have an update to this wonderful Image-Route effort made here a few years ago? It would be nice to see the changes regarding the immigration process, and the freeway collapse.
Thank You

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by kiterkip]