BajaNomad

Thanksgiving week roadtrip to Bahia Asuncion

vacaenbaja - 11-30-2010 at 09:17 PM

Took a trip down to Asuncion on Monday. First stop The Joker
hotel Ensenada. $50 for a room with two double beds.
Not the best place but was able to park my rig next to the
night clerk so I did not have to unload stuff that could be
carried off. Onward to Asuncion. They are making lots of
improvements on the road. Widening it, putting in shoulders and turnouts. Also lots of new bridges.It makes for slower
driving however. But when it is all done it will be so much the better as long as the the road is kept up. They have even
altered the level of the roadbed in some areas and have also moved it over some at parts. The road going into Asuncion was great. with the exception of the last 3 miles or so which followed the old pole road that was quite washboarded and sandy at spots. However the new road should be close to finished by now. My first surprise when I rolled into town was that the restarant at the Hotel Verduzgo was gone! KNOCKED DOWN AND LEVELED. I am told that they
moved arcross the way on the beach side. Our first day in Asuncion was very windy
and we were only able to get out on the water half a day. Caught a
few large yellowtail and bonito. The second day was worst
than the first. Our panga was surfing the waves all the way to San Pablo. Boy did I want to turn around and call it a day.
But Capitan Luis is very skillfull and took every wave just right. We caught a few more large yellowtail and tried numerous reefs for bottom fish and bass, but they were not biting. After having enough of the wind at Asuncion we decided to try
our luck at Bahia de Los Angeles. It had been blowing there
for five days when we got there. Lucky for us the wind died
down enough on Saturday to fish the bay. No yellowtail to be
had by trolling, jigging or live bait. Decided to go for bass and bottomfish. We did very well at all the rocks and reefs that we hit. We even got one skinny Sierra. Fished with Capitan Rafa Cuevas who is a fine guide and knows his stuff.
The real shock was when I returned to the ICE BOX that was Los Angeles. Brurrr. The Crossing at the boarder was the longest that I have experienced in a long time. Must have been the combo of the Thanksgiving week and perhaps some Baja 1000 stragglers. The military check points were the least intence that I have ever experienced.

BajaBlanca - 11-30-2010 at 09:20 PM

sounds like a bumpy fishing, got seasick just imagining it .... wind ended today ... feels like an icebox here tho'.

DianaT - 12-1-2010 at 10:23 AM

Sorry the weather was so bad----hopefully next time it will be warm and calm.

Luis is a good person and we have heard from a number of people that he really is a very skilled fishing guide. Glad you got to catch some good fish even in the lousy weather.

The Tres Hermanos Restaurant that was at the hotel is now in Gloria's home on the main beach in town---green house with tables on the porch. The sign fell apart---same good food, same great owner.

It does not look like it, but there is still a small restaurant at the hotel---no sign that is run by Yoli. But they are building a palapa restaurant across the street for Yoli----it of course, has not been completed when planned, but hopefully soon. It is a great and convenient location---

Thanks for the report

DianaT - 12-1-2010 at 05:10 PM

For anyone missing the torn down restaurant, here it is on the main beach in town.

Still no menu---just tell Gloria what you want.

Barry A. - 12-1-2010 at 05:14 PM

"----missing-----"?????? So it's gone now??? Torn down??? :spingrin:

Barry

DianaT - 12-1-2010 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
"----missing-----"?????? So it's gone now??? Torn down??? :spingrin:

Barry

Opps---it is her OLD location that was attached to the Verduzco Hotel that was torn down---this is where Gloria is now---her restaurant in her home. Still no menu---just ask for what you want---still great food. And no sign, but that is not unusual.

In that town there are many places with no signs, like the good place to get a rod and reel fixed, or the great little jewelry store, or where to get a cake baked, etc. and many have no posted hours---door open, owner there, the place is open.

No signs because everyone knows where they are---even our water bill has Conocido for the address. It was a challenge creating directions for many of the businesses on the web page because of so many streets sin/nombre and no addresses.

Tis a good place to be.

ArvadaGeorge - 12-1-2010 at 07:53 PM

I thought the road was paved all the way. When is it expected to be completed?

shari - 12-1-2010 at 08:06 PM

they are working on it now and word is it will be completed next week

DianaT - 12-2-2010 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
they are working on it now and word is it will be completed next week

That's good news.