BajaNomad

Ensenada...The good...the average...and the questions

Gypsy Jan - 12-1-2010 at 12:57 PM

(This is cross-posted from Chowhound, the original poster Is tridogg)

"3 trips to ensenada in the last month gives lots to report. I am a chef myself so i am particular. Here goes...My trips were all sunday monday so unfortunatly I could not hit my fav manzanilla...So... I'll start with the good...i did finally got to bara azul which was quite excellant and very reasonable albeit off the main areas most tourists go (calle once @ mar), i will go back here for sure. I also went to the same chefs little bar/seafood snack place (ultramarinoo) every time i went...it is on ruiz just off lopes mateo...the tempura oyster tacos are not to be missed, yum...great mojitos tambien...Also had a really good meal at punto morro....kind of pricey for mexico but i enjoyed dinner...ambiance is killer too...Waves are crashing right up to the windows... La Guerrerense is a revalation...amazingly good and amazingly cheap..if the was a zagat guide it would def be in the best bang for your buck category...Now for the average but remember i am particular. Covelli clay oven pizza 637 miramar. Many rave about this place...i enjoyed it but if you have had pizza at spago or chez pannisse or in the south of france...well...its not that good but its better than most chain places and i think it's good ensenada has "decent Pizza". Ditto for Hogaz Hogaz in the same shopping lot...it is european bakery and its good and i"m glad it"s there but if you frequent La Brea bakery or spent time in the south of france...well...its ok. Now for the questions and comments...I was going to eat at the cocedora de langosta but the lobster dishes are $40 to $50...and i'm pretty sure it's pacific lobster. I think live main lobster is far superior to pacific and I can usually find that here at those prices so unless someone can convince me i am really missing something here...i am tempted to pass. Also...I have heard there is a really good place called Haliotis but i spent over an hour trying to find it to no avail. And...some information to pass along. I tried to go to caprichos and that place is now a sports bar called papi's...Then...the next day while i was leaving covellis...I saw a couple of chefs across the street in what was La embotelladora which i know has closed so i went over to ask if there was a new rest going in and much to my surprise...Caprichos will be going in at that location (666miramar) but it will be at least 2 months before they open. Ciou"

bajabound2005 - 12-1-2010 at 06:49 PM

anyone want to know about Ensenada restaurants...just ask me!

DENNIS - 12-1-2010 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

Why don't they serve SPAM??

bajabound2005 - 12-2-2010 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

do they farm that locally?

Great Eats

bajaguy - 12-2-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:

I am quite fond of the gourmet food at a certain place in Rancho Packard!!! :lol:

bigboy - 12-2-2010 at 08:40 AM

I like the tasty food at Rancho Packard also!

Bajabound2005 really does know the restaurants in Ensenada.

Monthly reviews?

tripledigitken - 12-2-2010 at 08:48 AM

bb2005,

I have enjoyed your reviews, only one problem, not enough of them. How about posting more, say, one a month?

Ken

DENNIS - 12-2-2010 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Lots of Pork on Calle Miramar. :biggrin:

bajabound2005 - 12-2-2010 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
bb2005,

I have enjoyed your reviews, only one problem, not enough of them. How about posting more, say, one a month?

Ken

I should put more on Nomad; I've taken up with Facebook. I'll put them in both places from now on.

tripledigitken - 12-2-2010 at 09:07 AM

I look forward to that!

Martyman - 12-2-2010 at 09:23 AM

I hit Mazanilla last month. Abulone was good, Oyster good tt. Everything was too salty for my tastes. Hit Half-Way House for Lobster lunch-great Chef Johnny served it with homemade lasagna

durrelllrobert - 12-2-2010 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
bb2005,

Ken

I should put more on Nomad; I've taken up with Facebook. I'll put them in both places from now on.

Eventhough it's not in Ensenada, don't forget the now famous (thanks to the PBBB) Old mission Pizza. with an advertising budget like they have the food must all be great.:lol:

So You Ensenada Denizens

Gypsy Jan - 12-3-2010 at 02:51 PM

All eat at VIPs, eh?

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2010 at 03:47 PM

i can honestly say the only VIPS i've been in was the one in rosarito and only because it was a convenient place to meet my friends before doing a bike ride. but will say, the breakfast was not half bad and the place was spotless.

elgatoloco - 12-3-2010 at 05:39 PM

Barra Azul! yummy. Not your 'typical' fare.:cool:

Bajahowodd - 12-3-2010 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
i can honestly say the only VIPS i've been in was the one in rosarito and only because it was a convenient place to meet my friends before doing a bike ride. but will say, the breakfast was not half bad and the place was spotless.

I've posted about VIPS before. Ambiance is kinda retro. Spotless, yes. Great for breakfast. And I'm nowhere near a fan of Walmart. Just very dependable, IMHO. It's Denny's, but nicer.

bajaguy - 12-3-2010 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

I've posted about VIPS before. Ambiance is kinda retro. Spotless, yes. Great for breakfast. And I'm nowhere near a fan of Walmart. Just very dependable, IMHO. It's Denny's, but nicer.

Oh, just gag me......

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2010 at 09:26 PM

Barra Azul is fabulous....and becoming more and more the typical fare of Ensenada! I'll get back here and start posting about restaurants!

tripledigitken - 12-3-2010 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Barra Azul is fabulous....and becoming more and more the typical fare of Ensenada! I'll get back here and start posting about restaurants!

Do you know if UltraMarino is still in business?

Ken

elgatoloco - 12-3-2010 at 09:35 PM

Quote:

Good to hear. The younger set has been producing interesting cuisine in recent years. We got turned on to Barra Azul right after opening by our friend Memo at Cafe Cafe on Calle Primera. He new we liked to try different places and made a reservation while we were in his shop and drew us a map so we could head right over. We still love eating standing up at places like El Trailero but it's fun to try different styles of cooking and drinking.:dudette:
Lets hear more.

Sallysouth - 12-3-2010 at 10:21 PM

Hi Jan.Check out this website .It has info for Haliotas.We love it for the clean, fresh food and service, and the Abulone is very good.One evening we asked to see what we were ordering and Jose brought out a platter with an Abulone pulsing, still very fresh and alive.Don't expect fancy sauces or frilly salads.It really is a place you need to see and have a dinner! Mexicomatters@info 176 Ave Delante, phone from US, 011-52-646-1760341 .Ya gotta see the ancient diving suits, stained glass windows depicting sea animals and fishing, whales, etc. It is a very cool and serene place to dine.The Family has a restaurant on Cedros Island also. :yes:

[Edited on 12-4-2010 by Sallysouth]

Phil C - 12-4-2010 at 06:43 AM

Boy! Sure would be nice to have a map of ensenada with all these places marked on it!

bajabound2005 - 12-4-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Do you know if UltraMarino is still in business?

Ken

Yes it is, but they open late (late for me!), i think not until 4:00. At least they are supposed to open at 4:00 but usually don't open until 4:30. I have not been to ultra marina but imagine the menu is similar to barra azul (same owner). Barra Azul is closed Monday and Tuesday, and I imagine the same for Ultra Marina.

bajamigo - 12-4-2010 at 08:51 AM

What we love about the food scene in Ensenada is the plethora of new young chefs, mostly graduates of the culinary school at UABC, who bring a lot of imagination to their work. Most start out working at places like Manzanilla, but Benito eventually peees them off and they go out on their own.

When BB2005 and I go out to dinner, we rarely ask to see a menu, except out of curiosity. Most often, we'll we'll request a three- or four-"tiempos" dinner, and leave it up to the chef to fill in the blanks. We've yet to be disappointed.

Ensenada map

bajaguy - 12-4-2010 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
Boy! Sure would be nice to have a map of ensenada with all these places marked on it!

Maybe somebody with advanced computer skills could do it on this map:

http://www.advantagemexico.com/ensenada/images/ensenada_map....

DENNIS - 12-4-2010 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
What we love about the food scene in Ensenada is the plethora of new young chefs, mostly graduates of the culinary school at UABC,

Sounds as though UABC may be ignoring the tragedy of their Marine Sciences program. They turn out into the streets an unrealistic number of Oceanography experts and there are no jobs for them. They end up taking whatever employment they can find.
Pretty soon, everybody working at McDonalds will be a Chef or a Plankton expert.

Phil C - 12-9-2010 at 05:34 AM

Bump, for the request of a map. How 'bout you D.K.?

bajabound2005 - 12-9-2010 at 07:51 AM

if anyone wants to know about Ensenada restaurants, just U2U me. Maybe after Christmas we can work on that map.

Fred - 12-9-2010 at 01:59 PM

I am also gooing to vote for that place in Rancho Packard.

Marc - 12-18-2010 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Lots of Pork on Calle Miramar. :biggrin:

In New Guinea we called Spam "long pig". That's human flesh. I just took their word for it.:barf:

David K - 12-18-2010 at 09:49 AM

Quote:

Any changes at El Taco de Huitzilopochtli ? It has been 9 years since I ate there with David Eidell, elgatoloco and Barb, and Fishin' Rich... and one more time with my ladyfriend a year later. David E called it the best food in all of Mexico! It was pretty exotic, serving Aztec and Oaxaca unique food.

Barbarosa - 1-21-2011 at 07:41 AM

Quote:

Well, don't mind if I do...

I've got this big enterage doing the entire peninsula (coming right up in just a couple of weeks). We're doing one night (Sunday) in Ensenada. I've read some good reviews of the following. I *believe* they're all down near the Mercado Negro.

Muelle Tres
La Cocedora De Langosta
Casamar

One issue is that there's 16 of us. So a smaller place might not work too well.

Price doesn't matter too much, but value's a good thing.

Comments, plz.

DENNIS - 1-21-2011 at 07:52 AM

All I know for sure is...if, while driving south, you see the Applebee's, don't despair. Another 100 feet and you'll be at McDonalds.

Muelle Tres

bajaguy - 1-21-2011 at 07:53 AM

Chef's choice at Muelle Tres would be my choice......16 people will fill the place!!!!!

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by bajaguy]

DENNIS - 1-21-2011 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Chef's choice at Muelle Tres would be my choice......16 people will fill the place!!!!!

http://masaassassin.blogspot.com/2009/02/muelle-tres-ensenad...

Bajahowodd - 1-21-2011 at 02:50 PM

Anyone been to El Rey Sol recently? I know they could handle a group of 16.

bajaguy - 1-21-2011 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Anyone been to El Rey Sol recently? I know they could handle a group of 16.

Food at Muelle Tres is WAY better

Cocteleria Mazatlan

Gypsy Jan - 1-21-2011 at 03:16 PM

A Bucket of 6 Coronas for $5.

Fresh, fresh seafood - Cocteles Campechana (mixed seafood) shrimp, octopus, clam, Almejas al Carbon (Grilled clams in a cheese sauce in the shell), fresh oysters served raw or cooked, grilled fish - whole or fillet.

The restaurant is a huge, two-story, palapa-roofed building, designed to entertain large groups, about eight blocks up from the harbor, one block east of Novena (9th St.) and about one block south of the bus station.

Cocteleria Mazatlan
Tel: 656-178-7518

DENNIS - 1-21-2011 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
A Bucket of 6 Coronas for $5.

Those are espleets, splits. An 8oz bottle of beer.
The food is pedestrian. Good, but not great.
I eat there every chance I get.

"I Eat There Every Chance I Get"

Gypsy Jan - 1-21-2011 at 03:55 PM

So you know a good deal!

xx & oo's, GJ (European air kisses and hugs)

[Edited on 1-21-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 1-21-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
So you know a good deal!

xx & oo's, GJ

Sure. I've been going there for twenty five years...or more. It never changes but for the size. The place just keeps spreading out.
Great way to spend time on a hot afternoon.

bajabound2005 - 1-21-2011 at 06:47 PM

what kind of food, what kind of price?

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa
Quote:

Well, don't mind if I do...

I've got this big enterage doing the entire peninsula (coming right up in just a couple of weeks). We're doing one night (Sunday) in Ensenada. I've read some good reviews of the following. I *believe* they're all down near the Mercado Negro.

Muelle Tres
La Cocedora De Langosta
Casamar

Comments, plz.

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2011 at 07:03 PM

The restaurant called Buganvilias which is next to but not owned by the HOTEL CORTEZ, right on the main shopping street in Ensenada is excellent. Absolutely delicious and exquisite meals - we always order the filet mignon with mushrooms 'cause seafood is abundant where we live.

Barbarosa - 1-21-2011 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
what kind of food, what kind of price?

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa

Muelle Tres
La Cocedora De Langosta
Casamar

Comments, plz.

Here's the deal. I (and sometimes my wife) have been down there a bunch of times over the years. Always had a totally kickass time. ALWAYS. And talked it up.

Folks listened. And wanted to join in. (But then also I hadda figure out that all th' current hype (at least wrt Baja) is just that.) I've stayed away for 5 years.

So we're taking 7 other couples who have never ever been down there before. (And of course they're going to *love* it!)

Come to think of it, 2 couples have to split (north) a day early.

So anywho, our last night, our Ensenada night, after seeing the entire peninsula both southward and northward, we're in Ensenada.

Now to be sure, TJ, Ensenada and Cabo are decidedly *NOT* our favorite parts of Baja. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy Ensenada and Cabo.

It's our last night (for 12 of us; last men standing). Price? Kinda, who cares. (Hey, I *do* want value.) Kind of food? Consensus? With 6 couples? Shirley you jest. Oh wait, I'm El Jefe. Fresh fish is good. Anything local / fresh / indigenous.

It's gonna kinda be goodbye after 11 pretty intense (and wonderful) days. Sounds like a party. (In Ensenada? Y' think?)

Soooooooo,...

bajabound2005 - 1-21-2011 at 10:17 PM

OK, i will post a list with directions and comments on Sunday.

Barbarosa - 1-21-2011 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
OK, i will post a list with directions and comments on Sunday.

Now that's most excellent.

Shouldda rounded it out. We're all good buds, but we're literally from all corners. 8 couples. Here's the states:
CA (3), WA, ID, VT, NJ, FL

We're touring the peninsula on big honkin badass
motorcycles. <g>

Moseyin' down the way, sniffin' (desert) poseys, enjoyin' the most wonderful locals and their towns and all that glorious scenery along the way.

Like I said, it's gonna be great, and it's gonna be intense, and they're all gonna discover the glory of Baja. (How kewl is that?)

And then we're gonna gather that last night in Ensenada, and raise glasses, and toast the trip and the glory of Baja, and my bet is our eyes are gonna well up a bit.

And then we're gonna head back home.

bajabound2005 - 1-22-2011 at 09:20 AM

Here you go....
Some of our favorite Ensenada restaurants – you can Google almost any of these and find great reviews. You can find all of these restaurants on Facebook. If you would like me to email you a word document of this list, U2U me with your email address.

from north to south

Boules in San Miguel, Open Thurs-Mon starting at 1:00 pm. Casual, seafood and meat. Owner is Javier Martinez (speaks English). Local wines. Sundays are probably the busiest. Waterfront. Just after passing through the toll booth to Ensenada, take the right just in front of the "Extra" store. It's a little cobblestone street. Follow that straight ahead about half a block. The road curves to the right and just on the left is a gated parking lot with a security guard. Tell them you are going to Boules and he will let you in. Park in that lot. The first large white building you see is a "salon". Boules is the smaller place just past it. Cash only. Phone 646 175 9769. Good choice for a group but make arrangements ahead of time with Javi. Sundays and Mondays they have petanque tournaments.

Continue south on the hiway. Next up is Belio at KM 104 on the bayside. Look for a tall white condo building (EntreMar,and it looks completely out of place so it’s a good landmark.) A “block” or so past EntreMar is the entrance to Belio. The place is BEAUTIFUL and the most upscale of all mentioned here. Mediterranean style food. I'm not sure of their hours but they open for breakfast at 7:30 on Saturdays. They are also open for lunch and dinner and I would guess they open at 1:00 (except Saturday and Sunday, they open earlier) Also English speaking. If nothing else, stop in for a drink and check out the place. 646 175 8810 info@beliorestaurant.com Excellent location for a large group, but again, I’d give them advance notice.

At KM 104 just a very short distance (maybe ½ a block) past Belio is Viento (the location was to be a condo complex but it never got off the ground), which houses 2 restaurants. You can recognize the "building" by the crazy fence built around it....just sticks nailed together in an random pattern. Food and atmosphere are great at both places. Both are relatively small but can accommodate up to 20 or so. For either, definitely make advance arrangement if you are bringing a group.
The two restaurants are Gazuza and El Sarmiento. both waterfront.

El Sarmiento opens at 2:00 and describes itself as an "enogastrobar". Chef/owner is Guillermo Barreto (also speaks English). Great pizzas and breads made in their wood fired oven. Tapas or full menu available. Closed Mon-Wed.

Gazuza is right next to El Sarmiento. I love their ceviche. They put mango in it! Price Range: $$ 10-30
Tues - Wed: 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Thurs - Fri: 2:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Sat: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm; Sun: 11:00 am - 7:00 pm.

Just as you enter Ensenada at the intersection where there is the Pemex on your left and the "lighthouse" on your right – take the hard right (sign says Migracion) that is almost a u-turn to “Puerto Recinto” – don’t take the exit off the transpeninsular that says Puerto Recinto! About 4 blocks down on your right, you’ll come across Manzanilla. Owned by award winning and notorious chef, Benito Molina and his lovely wife, Solange. Very “funky” inside (pink chandeliers), full bar. Closed Sun-Mon. They open at 1:00. www.rmanzanilla.com

From Manzanilla, make a u-turn and go back to Blvd Costero. JUST BEFORE Blvd Costero, make another hard right/almost u-turn into the parking lot where the lighthouse marks the entrance. It's a pay lot but both restaurants here will validate. From the middle of the parking lot, (the fish market will be on your left) walk straight out to the malecon. There you will find Muelle 3. This one ranks in our top 3. Also owned by Chef Benito Molina, Muelle 3 is more casual but the food is excellent and the staff charming. Beer and wine. If you don’t see what you want, ASK! Manager is David Martinez (his brother, Javi, owns Boules) and he also speaks English (and is also an accomplished pianist!) The place is small, but we got 22 people in there once! All fish and seafood as fresh as can be. Definitely make advance arrangements with David. muelletres@gmail.com

Go back to the parking lot and walk to the opposite side of it. There is a walkway to goes out to the street and you’ll find La Cocedora de Langosta. The Platillo del Dia is always a good bet. Try their ceviche, it’s also different. In addition to the restaurant they have a small pescaderia and wine boutique. lacocedoradelangosta@gmail.com 646 178 3742

Let’s head toward downtown. I don’t want to try to give directions from Blvd Costero so you’re on your own here!

At the corner of 6th and Moctezuma you’ll find La Contra (formerly known as Del Parque). It’s a very modern looking building (white). Easy parking. Great outside dining. They do most of the cooking outside. Excellent wine boutique representing most if not all of the local wines. Sample menu: http://www.lacontravinos.com/blog/?page_id=11 (646) 178-82-13 vinoslacontra@gmail.com

Around the corner from La Contra, on Moctezuma, between 4th and 5th, is Casa del Arte. Live music most days, and on the menu there is something for everyone. Last summer their wine list was someone limited, but you can always run over to La Contra and buy wine there. Great indoor and outdoor areas. http://www.lacasadelarte.com.mx Menu, map and contact info on the webpage.

Barra Azul (also in our top 3). It’s located on 11th between Espinoza and the Puente going over the arroyo. They open at 1:30 and are closed on Tuesdays. Owner is Alain Genchi and the chef is Luis Garcia. The must-haves here are the tempura oysters and the oyster shooters (preferably the ones with green apple!) We don’t order off the menu; we just ask Luis to prepare how many courses we want (4-5). For dessert, the crepe cake. Local wines and full bar. alaingenchi@hotmail.com http://www.barrazul.com

Looking for comfort food like burgers and wings? Check out Icarus Wings. It’s on Ambar near 29 de Noviembre. From the Reforma, go left on Ambar and ¾ mile. Icarus is on the right (on the left is Licores Los Amigos and a Veterinario). Excellent burgers, fries and wings! They make their own burger buns fresh daily. Other meat and fish items available (like fish and chips). Their pizza is “non-traditional” such as with clams and Spanish chorizo. All the food is excellent. Beer and soft drinks. BYO wine, no corkage fee. Owner’s name is Jorge (who lives in San Diego) and his Dad is also Jorge and Dad is sually at the restaurant. Open Tues-Thurs 1:00-9:00; Fri-Sat 1:00 – 11:00; Sun 1:00 – 7:00. Phone 646 178 6055 Link to map: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&...
www.icarus-go.com is their website.

Not in Ensenada but in the Valle de Guadalupe is our all time favorite, Laja. Casual but upscale food with a fixed price menu. They grow their own herbs and vegetables and almost everything else is acquired locally. Full bar and great list of local wines. Andres Blanco is the manager and “maitre d”. He is also an extraordinary winemaker. Owner and chef is Jair Tellez. You can do the 4 course meal, but splurge and do the 8 courses. They are small so you leave satisfied but not overly stuffed. Last time we were there the 8 course was $720 pesos and the 4 course around $540. Visa/MC accepted. Closed Sun-Tues. Open at 1:30 Wed-Saturday. They close at 3:30 on Wed but are open until 8:30 the other days. (closing time means last people in the door by that time). Located at KM 83 on the Carr Tecate-Ensenada (Ruta de Vinicola). 646 155 2556

PROVECHO!

BajaGringo - 1-22-2011 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C

One of the thousands of toys I have bought and put away over the years was a TomTom GPS unit. I only use it when traveling NOB to parts unknown and it really hasn't been used at all in the last year. I recently discovered that TomTom added a Mexico map so I pulled the unit out of retirement and uploaded the new map.

It works great and even has a ton of restaurants mapped that you can find using the POI function. I was in Ensenada last night and did a map search for restaurants and it found over a hundred within a km distance.

It even has the road on our little stretch of the beach mapped!

[Edited on 1-22-2011 by BajaGringo]

Barbarosa - 1-22-2011 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Here you go....
Some of our favorite Ensenada restaurants – you can Google almost any of these and find great reviews. You can find all of these restaurants on Facebook. If you would like me to email you a word document of this list, U2U me with your email address.

Great stuff! Muchas gracious. I am in your debt.

(I can make good use of this info right from this format. And I had already been onto some of those reviews you mention, too.)

I was already drawn to Muelle Tres and Cocedora de Langosta. Sounds like they're out by the water (and not too far from our Hotel, but that's not a biggie).

I like the sound of Manzanilla but it's closed on Sunday.

And you convinced me to put Barra Azul back on the list.

Sounds like of these, only Barra Azul has a full bar. That could be a consideration for our group. (But it does seem like with so many bars in town, maybe we could make do with beer and wine with dinner.)

Oh yeah, and I totally agree with you about white zin. 'Course all that sez is that we like good wine.

Cocedora de Langosta

tripledigitken - 1-22-2011 at 03:40 PM

Good off-street parking too!

DENNIS - 1-22-2011 at 03:52 PM

Quote:

My Gawwwd...I hope those things are cooked. :O

bajabound2005 - 1-22-2011 at 04:59 PM

Barbarosa: Belio also has a full bar. Muelle 3 has a few choice liquors on hand. La Cocedora's hours are 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Barra Azul has a decent bar as well. If you want me to make any arrangements for you ahead of time, just let me know via U2U.