BajaNomad

Nov Trip Report BoLA & Asuncion

Martyman - 12-2-2010 at 03:09 PM

A little late but... Went with my son, Woody 22. He works at a fancy restaurant so we were more foodies on this trip. Our first stop was Manzanilla restaurant in Ensenada for abulone, oysters, soup and salad. Good... but everything was a little too salty (and I like salt). Shopped in Ensenada and dropped at the Joker Hotel for the night.
The next day made it to our place in Bahia de Los Angeles. The boat had a couple small issues (dead battery, fuel line) Got it fixed and went out every morning for the next week. Northerly blowing though so we were in everyday by 9-9:30 AM. Our biggest fish was an 8lb bonita that my son smoked over mesquite..excellent. We also caught smaller yellowtail, grouper, a zillion barracuda, bay bass and a wrasse..
Where have all the triggerfish gone? Crab and shrimp were also on the menu.
We launch our 16 foot aluminum bayrunner on a beach with a Honda minivan. My son pushes on the back of the boat when we're getting out of the water to get through the sand. A great substitute for a four wheel drive vehicle.
We felt like we were just vacationing at our place as the mice seem to be the real occupants. Clean counters at night, lots of scattered surprises in la manana. Oh well!
Went to Bahia Asuncion which is a 5-6 hour drive. Camped at Campo Sirena, met Shari and she set us up to go out fishing the next day with Miguel Angel (Michaelangelo). We both caught 20 lb Yellowtail on iron and were able to bring some back to the states with us.
Shared some homemade wine with the folks in camp, a lot of fun!
I'm a home winemaker and had left a bottle of pinot noir in BoLA for about three years. I figure the temp of the wine got up into the 80s for at least two summers "aging". When we tentatively opened the bottle it turned out to be one of my best bottles ever, concentrated flavors and smooth, not oxydized. This goes against everything I had heard about aging wine. The experts say keep it below 60 degrees at all times. I think I'll leave a case next time!
We stayed at Hotel Mission Santa Maria in San Quintin, next to Cielito Lindo, I love that place. They have a new cook and the food was excelent. I had clams and Woody had crab stuffed shrimp. Say hi to Abran the bartender.
I blasted off skyrockets at various locations. I always go around warning people that I'm going to do some blasting because of their dogs. Everything went well untill the last night in Asuncion when some gringo yelled a nice four letter expletive after the explosion. We hid in the bushes.
Had our last meal, lobster, at Half Way House. I used to camp there as a kid, anyway Chef Johnny cooks up a nice bug in white wine served with lasagne.
Another great trip and a chance for me to hang with my son. I'm a happy papa!

Santiago - 12-2-2010 at 03:48 PM

I've left some bottles of everyday red over the summer and they seemed the same in the fall. Next time in camp I'll swap you some home brew for your basement vino.

David K - 12-2-2010 at 05:42 PM

Nice report! Chef Johnny rocks!

shari - 12-2-2010 at 08:02 PM

It was really great to finally meet the famous rocket scientist!!! love those father/son visits...too bad I missed the fireworks!!

woody with a view - 12-2-2010 at 08:16 PM

i tried to accompany Martyman but had to back out when the real Woody found some free days in his calendar. Damn......