BajaNomad

Breakdown in Mulege

Graham - 12-10-2010 at 09:25 PM

Returning north from dropping off supplies to Mike and Don Kay and giving a lecture and book signing at the Caballo Blanco Bookstore in Loreto,

the transmission on my Nissan 4x4 pickup started to rattle horribly like it was about to fly apart. I stopped to see friends Tom and Patti Higginbotham in Mulege. They recommended Marcos and Antonio, a pair of mechanics with a shop just south of the highway, almost under the bridge… Other friends confirmed it was a good choice.

So I left the truck with them. First time I’d ever broken down in 20 years of driving Baja. They soon had the tranny out and showed me the problem, two bearings loose and rattling like crazy.

They ordered the new parts from La Paz, and a couple of days later they arrived on the bus. In spite of my misgivings looking at all the parts scattered around, the tranny was soon back together and ready for a test drive. Drove as good as ever. No leaks or niggles. Got me back home to San Diego and truck continues to run fine!

Might have been a blessing it happened in Baja! Total cost $420.

Marcos and Antonio highly recommended!

Returning repaired transmission to truck:

And being broken down in Mulege has its compensations. Weather was perfect. Enjoyed giving a presentation and good company at La Jungla, and wandering around taking pictures of the wildlife. Bird life abundant.

Frigate birds over the mission.

Pelicans diving in.

Hummingbird enjoying a little water massage on top of a fountain.

Wow !

djh - 12-10-2010 at 09:38 PM

Glad to hear you had such good fortune in LTO and your mechanical lemons were turned into Lemonade.

But WOW ~ the photo of the little hummingbird in the fountain is uhhhhhmazing ! ! !

I've never seen that. We have lots of hummingbirds here (N. Idaho) in the summer, and we plant many things they like because I am in constant awe of them . . . but, since we have cats (probably too old and fat to chase birds) we do not have a fountain.

I love that photo !!!!

Thx.
djh

Graham - 12-11-2010 at 12:49 AM

Yes, those Mulege hummers were lining up to hug that belly tickling water massage.

mulegejim - 12-11-2010 at 07:34 AM

Graham, it was good to visit a little with you in Mulege - sorry it was under those conditions but it gave us the opportunity to buy your latest books. I have used Marcos for many years and he has come through every time. Anyway, good to see you and hope to in the future. Jim and Melinda

Natalie Ann - 12-11-2010 at 09:26 AM

Thank you, Graham, for the info on mechanics (hope I never need it!) and for the hummer pix.

My garden is planted especially to please hummers, and my flowers and feeders are always full of them. I've watched them for years and this is the first ever I've seen such behavior. Gotta know it gets really hot in Mulege.:wow:

nena

Bob H - 12-11-2010 at 09:30 AM

Graham, WOW... amazing photos. And, thanks for the mechanic tip in Mulege.

David K - 12-11-2010 at 09:31 AM

Graham... a great post and what awesome photos! Thank you!!

Bob H - 12-11-2010 at 09:49 AM

"No leaks or niggles"....

I learned a new word today, thanks. :yes::wow::yes:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/niggles

David K - 12-11-2010 at 09:55 AM

I thought it was a typo at first... Who are these Englishmen who think they can invent words... or an entire language!!?? :lol:

Bob H - 12-11-2010 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I thought it was a typo at first... Who are these Englishmen who think they can invent words... or an entire language!!?? :lol:

Niggles... there are other definitions, more derogatory translations found with a google search.

willyAirstream - 12-11-2010 at 10:27 AM

Graham, I really enjoyed your talk and slides at La Jungle. The pics are great, especially like the diving one. If you had to break down, glad it was here in Mulege :)

BornFisher - 12-11-2010 at 10:28 AM

Graham--- Pretty long record of no problems with your rides! Glad things worked out for you and the truck! Those are some great pics, looks like those Hummers have adapted well!

Bajahowodd - 12-11-2010 at 05:21 PM

Gawd. I can think of almost a zillion other places in the world I would rather not be stranded in than Loreto. :biggrin:

capt. mike - 12-12-2010 at 08:36 AM

Oscar on mechanical and Marcos on electrical and yur covered all things motors in Mulege - and don't forget Sid out by the highway south.