BajaNomad

Rental Car Tips!

rocmoc - 12-14-2010 at 05:08 PM

We are flying in for the first time in many many years to Cabo. Any tips for renting a car at the airport.

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ

mcfez - 12-14-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocmoc
We are flying in for the first time in many many years to Cabo. Any tips for renting a car at the airport.

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ

I ALWAYS take detail pictures of the car before leaving with it....

Curt63 - 12-14-2010 at 07:55 PM

Roc,

Do you REALLY need a car? There are many times hotels have shuttles and there are some bus services too.

I just had a 4 day $26 per day online (Thrifty Car Rental) quote (without reading the fine print) turn into a $284 rental.

The liability insurance was an additional $13/ day and that was fine.

I was told by Discover Baja that if you pay for the rental with a visa card, you are automatically covered for collision insurance. I went to the Visa site and found the verbage and printed it out.

Thrifty agreed and was willing to let me waive the collison coverage, but they demanded to CHARGE my card $3000 US!!!!

By the way, your collision insurance is invalidated if you take the vehicle OFF THE ASPHALT??????????? WTF???????

After I exploded and the blood drained out of my face they offered me a collision full coverage for $128.

Then, I looked at my Visa statement today and the bastards charged my card $313 US when the slip I signed clearly says $284. I will deal with that tommorrow.

I'm not wealthy and pretty much a frugal bastard.

So, when you see some teaser daily rate, start asking about insurance, deposits, coverage etc etc etc. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT

But the area is beautiful, so have a great time...its only money

Chhers, Curt

Marc - 12-14-2010 at 08:10 PM

You don't need a car.

rental car advice

C-Urchin - 12-14-2010 at 09:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
rocmoc n AZ [/quoteAll

All you have to do is # 1 Use American Express. # 2 take profuse pictures of the car IN FRONT of the clerk. Your done.

C-Urchin - 12-14-2010 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Roc,

Do you REALLY need a car? There are many times hotels have shuttles and there are some bus services too.

I just had a 4 day $26 per day online (Thrifty Car Rental) quote (without reading the fine print) turn into a $284 rental.

The liability insurance was an additional $13/ day and that was fine.

I was told by Discover Baja that if you pay for the rental with a visa card, you are automatically covered for collision insurance. I went to the Visa site and found the verbage and printed it out.

Thrifty agreed and was willing to let me waive the collison coverage, but they demanded to CHARGE my card $3000 US!!!!

By the way, your collision insurance is invalidated if you take the vehicle OFF THE ASPHALT??????????? WTF???????

After I exploded and the blood drained out of my face they offered me a collision full coverage for $128.

Then, I looked at my Visa statement today and the bastards charged my card $313 US when the slip I signed clearly says $284. I will deal with that tommorrow.

I'm not wealthy and pretty much a frugal bastard.

So, when you see some teaser daily rate, start asking about insurance, deposits, coverage etc etc etc. READ ALL THE FINE PRINT

But the area is beautiful, so have a great time...its only money

Chhers, Curt

USE AMERICAN EXPRESS!!! In a bad case of BS just sign " I am signing this against my will, these charges are fraudulent". The stupid clerk will take it and off you go. Then you call AMEX and GONE with the charges!!!

rocmoc - 12-14-2010 at 09:19 PM

GREAT, great info.

If we were staying in Cabo I would agree that we do not need a car. We are going a week before our friends, who have the timeshare in Cabo, so we can drive the loop around the tip of Baja.

Curt, where did you get your car? Airport, hotel, downtown?

We carry year-round Lewis & Lewis on our Tow Vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ

Car Rental

lookingandbuying - 12-14-2010 at 09:37 PM

I have ALWAYS had great luck booking my rental car on Expedia.com prior to my trips. At least take a look at all the prices/deals before you go.

Good luck!!!

mcfez - 12-15-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
GREAT, great info.

If we were staying in Cabo I would agree that we do not need a car. We are going a week before our friends, who have the timeshare in Cabo, so we can drive the loop around the tip of Baja.

Curt, where did you get your car? Airport, hotel, downtown?

We carry year-round Lewis & Lewis on our Tow Vehicle.

rocmoc n AZ

Rent a cab driver for the entire day! I have done this at ports of call and it works great. Dont pay by the mile. By the day, there are cabs that will do this.

Curt63 - 12-15-2010 at 09:37 AM

SJD airport

Heather - 12-15-2010 at 10:10 AM

I usually look for the expedia deals too. You'll find that there are several rental agenices right at the airport (SJD), and they'll probably give you a shuttle ride to the car/lot. I used Eurocar (something like that) last time, and there were no problems. I booked w/expedia beforehand, and paid the minimal in insurance. They'll try and get you to buy more, but, I go with the VISA coverage (which I've never had to use). It does usually cost more than you expect, but the ease of getting around is worth it. I have my kids go around with the inspector beforehand, so they make sure no dings, dents, chips are undetected! Suerte!. H.

I guess I never read about the "leaving the aspalt", cause we sure do!

I'm just remembering about the last trip down where we drove the car to La Paz to visit my in-laws. My father-in-law was so proud to be driven around in the "carro del ano", showing off in his neighborhood, etc., about the fancy car he was riding around in!
(RIP mi suegro Rafael Abaroa Moller)

bent-rim - 12-15-2010 at 10:49 AM

Check that spare has air in it and that it will fit on the vehicle. I found this out the hard way.

Bajahowodd - 12-15-2010 at 03:23 PM

I shared this story quite some time back. Making multiple trips to Cabo during the 80s and early 90s I always rented from Avis. They were very professional, and I never had a single problem. And, foolish as i was, never bought the CDW coverage. Never was an issue. Then, around '94, went down with a bunch of folks, including my brother. Shopping on line, i found the best deal was offered by Thrifty. My brother and I rented identical Nissans at Thrifty. During the processing, there was a timeshare guy by the counter. When i refused the CDW (as well as his offer for a "free" breakfast), he warned me that I was making a mistake about no CDW. My much wiser brother paid for the CDW for his car. After getting the cars, I had to return to the terminal to pick up another member of our group who was coming in on a later flight. Parked the car and went into the terminal. And as I was entering, who should I see, but the same time share guy standing by the entrance.

When we picked up our friend and returned to the car, I noticed that the Nissan medallion was missing from the front of the hood. I suppose I could have driven right back to the Thrifty office and complained, inasmuch as I had just gone through a vehicle inspection with them like an hour ago. Instead, we just headed to our hotel. Later in the week, just before returning the cars, I pried the medallion from my brother's cars and stuck it on mine. Problem solved. I owed nothing. My brother, who had insurance to cover this, owed nothing. If anything, the rental agency would make a claim with their insurance.

Jaybo - 12-15-2010 at 03:38 PM

When we rent down there I always take pictures with the agent watching and if there is damage I have him point to it while I snap a picture. Avis includes the liability insurance in their prices so we have rented from them. so the prices seem higher but are less than the $13/day other people charge.

..Jay

Martyman - 12-15-2010 at 04:57 PM

Use toothpaste to take out any scratches that happen.

bajajudy - 12-15-2010 at 05:23 PM

Taxis are the most expensive way to get around here in Los Cabos. From the airport to San Lucas is about $70, to Los Barrilles about $80, to San Jose about $50. The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients. Only airport taxis are allowed in the airport. We have friends who are cab drivers but they cannot come to the airport to pick us up.

mcfez - 12-15-2010 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I shared this story quite some time back. Making multiple trips to Cabo during the 80s and early 90s I always rented from Avis. They were very professional, and I never had a single problem. And, foolish as i was, never bought the CDW coverage. Never was an issue. Then, around '94, went down with a bunch of folks, including my brother. Shopping on line, i found the best deal was offered by Thrifty. My brother and I rented identical Nissans at Thrifty. During the processing, there was a timeshare guy by the counter. When i refused the CDW (as well as his offer for a "free" breakfast), he warned me that I was making a mistake about no CDW. My much wiser brother paid for the CDW for his car. After getting the cars, I had to return to the terminal to pick up another member of our group who was coming in on a later flight. Parked the car and went into the terminal. And as I was entering, who should I see, but the same time share guy standing by the entrance.

When we picked up our friend and returned to the car, I noticed that the Nissan medallion was missing from the front of the hood. I suppose I could have driven right back to the Thrifty office and complained, inasmuch as I had just gone through a vehicle inspection with them like an hour ago. Instead, we just headed to our hotel. Later in the week, just before returning the cars, I pried the medallion from my brother's cars and stuck it on mine. Problem solved. I owed nothing. My brother, who had insurance to cover this, owed nothing. If anything, the rental agency would make a claim with their insurance.

What a hoot of story!!!! Good thinking!

dtbushpilot - 12-15-2010 at 07:33 PM

I always buy full coverage "walk away" insurance from the rental agency. When I rent a car it sees more air than a dirt bike at the Xgames:lol::lol::lol:......dt

bajabass - 12-15-2010 at 08:32 PM

What is it about racers and rental cars??? :spingrin:

rocmoc - 12-16-2010 at 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone for the great info.

I reserved a car yesterday with Advantage, no credit card info required, for $113/week. With all the add-on fees & cr*p, the total is $240 including the basic Lib insurance. Still will be another $17/day for coll insurance if they don't accept my credit card ins. and want a huge deposit as stated above. I will continue to monitor the rates as I can cancel without penalty if necessary.

I went to orbitz for the rates and then to the site of the company. That way I was able to get around any credit card info requirement for now.

Thanks again,
rocmoc n AZ

Bajahowodd - 12-16-2010 at 01:01 PM

They will not accept your credit card insurance. Don't give it a second thought. Buy their CDW. Not positive, but I think US credit card issuers that provide the additional collision benefit only cover the US.

Also, Mexican law requires the agencies to provide minimum legal limits in their daily rate. Don't let them upsell you for higher coverage limits on liability.

tripledigitken - 12-16-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
They will not accept your credit card insurance. Don't give it a second thought. Buy their CDW. Not positive, but I think US credit card issuers that provide the additional collision benefit only cover the US.

Also, Mexican law requires the agencies to provide minimum legal limits in their daily rate. Don't let them upsell you for higher coverage limits on liability.

Most foreign countries are covered by the major credit card companies.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/compare-credit-c...

Bajahowodd - 12-16-2010 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

I stand corrected on that. But with the exception of Diners' Club(anyone even carry that card anymore?) you will note that the coverage is secondary. Practically, what that means is that you would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then claim reimbursement from the card issuer. The rental car agency will not deal direct with the card issuer. So, buy the CDW at time of rental.

tripledigitken - 12-16-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:

I stand corrected on that. But with the exception of Diners' Club(anyone even carry that card anymore?) you will note that the coverage is secondary. Practically, what that means is that you would have to pay for the repairs out of pocket and then claim reimbursement from the card issuer. The rental car agency will not deal direct with the card issuer. So, buy the CDW at time of rental.

I'll take the risk. Worst case I would be out the interest on the card for the time to process the claim.

That said, I know most just pay it, and probably feel more comfortable doing so.

Different strokes.

Ken

osoflojo - 12-16-2010 at 03:55 PM

Nothing for nothing but I have been through this many times over the years. When I need a car in Cabo I will not make a reservation on line. I walk up to the rent-a car booths that are all lined up in the same place and tell them all at the same time what my requirements are. All the people bring out their calculators and start to work. Everything including insurance etc IS negotable. If you dont like what one offers, go to the next. I guarantee the price will beat anything you can get in the net.

Bajahowodd - 12-16-2010 at 03:56 PM

Different strokes, indeed. You appear to have much greater confidence in the service provided by the third party companies that the card issuer employs! Just saying that I've heard and read of some major delays and hassles.

That said, I did note much earlier in this thread that I never bought the CDW when renting in Cabo. However, those were much simpler times, before all the grifters showed up from the mainland.

oxxo - 12-17-2010 at 06:28 AM

Quote:
and want a huge deposit as stated above.

I have rented cars at SJD airport probably two dozen times over the last 12 years. I have always received the best rates from Dollar over the Internet. I have never had any unexpected charges from them on my credit card. I always take CDW and they have never required a deposit of any kind on my credit card.

The best way to see Los Cabos is with a rental car. That is what I recommend.

There are no hotel shuttles at the SJD airport except maybe for Las Ventanas and Palmilla but they charge for those servces and are private.

Judy, I'll pick you up at the airport and it won't cost you a dime........well, maybe some limes.

mcfez - 12-17-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Taxis are the most expensive way to get around here in Los Cabos. From the airport to San Lucas is about $70, to Los Barrilles about $80, to San Jose about $50. The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients. Only airport taxis are allowed in the airport. We have friends who are cab drivers but they cannot come to the airport to pick us up.

The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Thats crazy! Is that a policy thats been around for a while in Baja? In the Mexican Rivera...hotels (El Presidente and Hilton) gets their clients.

oxxo - 12-17-2010 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Yes, and no. The Taxi Union discourages the practice - the Governor has a vested interest in the taxi cartel. And the hotels are more than happy to eliminate the practice of picking up guests at the airport. BUT......the higher end hotels will send a private vehicle (Suburban, SUV, etc.) out to pick a guest up for a charge, which is more expensive than taxi fare.

Bajahowodd - 12-17-2010 at 02:38 PM

It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town. That said, the cab drivers are also victimized by their own union. There is, in fact a surfeit of cabs and drivers. They are forced to adhere to rules that don't allow any one of them to make as much money as they might under a free market. One need only look at the idle taxis at the various stands in the area. The Gringo Gazette ran a series of articles some time back about this. The cab drivers spend significantly more idle time parked at the stands than they do actually driving fares.

oxxo - 12-17-2010 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town.

I know the Hilton, Melia, and Sheraton, all on the Corridor, provide shuttles into San Lucas for their guests for a price.

Bajahowodd - 12-17-2010 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
It's more than just airport transportation. The resorts along the corridor cannot provide shuttles into either town.

I know the Hilton, Melia, and Sheraton, all on the Corridor, provide shuttles into San Lucas for their guests for a price.

But, I think they are using the cabs for their shuttle.

mcfez - 12-18-2010 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez The taxi unions do not allow hotels to pick up their clients.....

Yes, and no. The Taxi Union discourages the practice - the Governor has a vested interest in the taxi cartel. And the hotels are more than happy to eliminate the practice of picking up guests at the airport. BUT......the higher end hotels will send a private vehicle (Suburban, SUV, etc.) out to pick a guest up for a charge, which is more expensive than taxi fare.

I never paid for the service. The rates of the rooms are insane so I guess they just kick the taxi numbers in there somewhere.

The good thing about hotel PU is that they are there before you arrive, grab your bags off the belt...no hassles. I like that.