BajaNomad

Rain Reports & Latest Road Reports?

Russ - 12-17-2010 at 08:08 AM

Heading home tomorrow!!!!!
Wouldn't you know it the first big winter rain is suppose to hinder my trip south. I'm going to trudge through though and hope for the best. Planning to hit the first detours south of Ensenada shortly after daylight. I don't like traveling on weekends but I've spent too long up here playing with medical appointments and jumping through other VA hoops.

mulegemichael - 12-17-2010 at 08:11 AM

...it'll be good to have ya back in the neighborhood, russ..welcome home!

Russ - 12-17-2010 at 08:14 AM

Thanks! I was typing while Steve was posting the same question http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49725. I'll watch his thread too. Thanks:)

wessongroup - 12-17-2010 at 08:32 AM

Glad your good to go !!!

Have a safe trip...

Bajaboy - 12-17-2010 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Heading home tomorrow!!!!!
Wouldn't you know it the first big winter rain is suppose to hinder my trip south. I'm going to trudge through though and hope for the best. Planning to hit the first detours south of Ensenada shortly after daylight. I don't like traveling on weekends but I've spent too long up here playing with medical appointments and jumping through other VA hoops.

We'll be passing through about the same time. Safe travels.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 12-17-2010 at 01:17 PM

Hola, here is a partial printout from today's national weather service.

looks like lots of rain in southern california although there is no mention of baja.

DRIVE CAREFULLY...OR...NOT AT ALL !!

i'm not an alarmist but remember what the rains did to northern baja last year especially from tijuana to el rosario !

carry extra supplies especially food, water, clothing and blankets and keep your gas tank topped off.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 12-17-2010 at 01:19 PM

OOPS, FORGOT TO COPY AND PASTE, SORRY.

"Persistent . . . strong southwest winds over the eastern Pacific Ocean will carry an unusually large plume of moisture to the region," the weather statement said.
"With some breaks . . . a series of storms will likely continue through at least the middle of next week. Several periods of significant rainfall accumulation are possible."

Saturday night through Sunday morning is expected to be the most significant period of heavy rain, with intensities up to a " half-inch per hour ", according to the Weather Service. Snow levels are expected to remain above 9,000 feet.

The stronger storm expected Tuesday and Wednesday has the potential for heavier rainfall intensities "on top of soils that may be approaching saturation," which could cause flooding, debris flow and rock slide concerns, according to the Weather Service

Joelt - 12-17-2010 at 01:44 PM

Russ. It is a good idea to get through the construction as early as possible. We went through early in the morning in October after a good rain with just a 10 or 15 minute wait while some trucks got straightened out. It got worse the further south we went. It was slimey but I didn't have to lock my hubs. I wouldn't have wanted to be there much later in the morning with more cars on the road. Have a safe trip.

Yackie - 12-17-2010 at 02:23 PM

Rooooooos................catch ya when ya get home. David is leaving today, 17th, and get here tomorrow. Look for him on the road. He is overnighting at jardines. Xmas prize when you get here.

Russ - 12-17-2010 at 04:09 PM

Thanks all for your good wishes, advice & reports. See ya soon Jackie and will keep a catch out for Dave.

nbacc - 12-17-2010 at 05:17 PM

Waiting for those cool pictures again...drive carefully nancy

BigWooo - 12-17-2010 at 07:24 PM

We went through the Ensenada construction going South three days ago. Not near as much dirt as there was when we passed north two weeks prior. Quite a bit is paved, or partially paved. Was much easier than even two weeks ago. With rain though, it will still be a bit slippery in the parts that are still dirt.

We were pulling a 19' travel trailer... no problem.

[Edited on 12-18-2010 by BigWooo]

Russ - 12-17-2010 at 07:54 PM

Signing off until sunrise Sunday.:tumble:

msteve1014 - 12-17-2010 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Signing off until sunrise Sunday.:tumble:

Me too. see you on the road. Thanks for the info. everyone.

bajabass - 12-18-2010 at 07:40 AM

I'm heading south Monday A.M., with a globos truck stacked high! Guess I better hit Harbor Freight for a ppoopload of tarps and bungee cords! Please stop the rain!!!

mcfez - 12-18-2010 at 07:55 AM

Not sure who is heading thru the Sacramento Valley for this Holiday.....expected rain levels to hit 6 inches. Mountains expecting 10 to 15 feet of snow. There be flooding on parts of I-5 (Galt area) as it always gets that. Mountain passes trying to leave the valley will be an issue (H-58 and 99 Gorman)

Our creek here at the farm is currently flowing into the field

wessongroup - 12-18-2010 at 07:57 AM

Hey Bass... don't sweat the small stuff.. your retired .. the only thing ya got is time... and a wife that is way to good for your sorry ass... down there setting everything up for ya... Geezzeesss...

b-tch, b-tch, b-tch... put a 12 pack in the front seat... they won't be checking ya going south... pack a bunch of food... keep it all on the front seat along with any animals... also keep your camera at ready so you can let us "see" ya in action... what's going to happen to you... have an automotive problem....

Ya got it made in the shade.... enjoy... and keep us posted on your movements.. I'm sure yours won't be as bad as Mike's about now... walking in the rain... and setting up camp in the rain... takes some of the fun out of it... but, then it might bring back found memories of being in the "field" while in the service.... Gee, wasn't that a lot of fun.... being in the field when it rains for months at a time... not just a couple of days...

South of Maneadero: Dec. 5 view thru the windsheild.

windgrrl - 12-18-2010 at 08:27 AM

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

mcfez - 12-18-2010 at 09:05 AM

Great shots windgrrl ! That dirt bypass roads likes smooth.....unlike what it was during the road construction at the Military area of San Felipe.....wash board galore!

bajabass - 12-18-2010 at 11:14 AM

mcfez, I'm at Mom's house in Shingle Springs right now. Been raining since I left LA yesterday at 5 a.m. Only got heavier as I moved north! Poured last night.:o Change of plans meant I had 2 free days. Now another change. All my big stuff is going in storage in Orange, and I don't have to haul it in the rain. Weather looks wet till at least Christmas Eve, and I'd rather pay a few months storage than chance ruining all my furniture. Seems the boat and tackle don't mind getting wet though, :lol:so I'll be in La Paz for Christmas Day, and be fishing on New Years!:biggrin:

DianaT - 12-18-2010 at 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
mcfez, I'm at Mom's house in Shingle Springs right now. Been raining since I left LA yesterday at 5 a.m. Only got heavier as I moved north! Poured last night.:o Change of plans meant I had 2 free days. Now another change. All my big stuff is going in storage in Orange, and I don't have to haul it in the rain. Weather looks wet till at least Christmas Eve, and I'd rather pay a few months storage than chance ruining all my furniture. Seems the boat and tackle don't mind getting wet though, :lol:so I'll be in La Paz for Christmas Day, and be fishing on New Years!:biggrin:

Bet it slowed you down----no 6 hours from Orange to Shingle Springs. :biggrin: We were lucky to hit a good break in the weather up there.

Sorry you will be delayed in taking down your household things, but sounds like the fishing plans are good.

Right now in Imperial Beach it is cloudy, but dry. But rain is still predicted to at least Tuesday.

[Edited on 12-18-2010 by DianaT]

bajabass - 12-18-2010 at 03:48 PM

Diana, I left Orange at 5:04am. Stopped at that Apricot restaraunt for grub and gas, and pulled into Mom's drive at 11:39am. Caution!!!! Low flying aircraft!!! Oh, it has been off and on pouring here in Shingle Springs. 50 is a mess!

Russ - 12-18-2010 at 06:24 PM

Left Laguna at 3PST and got home at 4:30MST. I missed hitting the detour during light by 15 minutes. I was the 1st in my group and navigated it with ease. Mostly paved or well groomed dirt now. The rain and drizzly had just about stopped when I went through. After that the road is in good shape except for a few stretches.

mcfez - 12-18-2010 at 06:43 PM

Quote:

Just u2 you. Sorry we could not meet up tonight at the Red Hawk.....will miss em pork chops you r having there tonight!!!!!! Drive very safe....alerts are flying up everywhere in the past hour.

Save me some fish down there!

bajabass - 12-18-2010 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Left Laguna at 3PST and got home at 4:30MST. I missed hitting the detour during light by 15 minutes. I was the 1st in my group and navigated it with ease. Mostly paved or well groomed dirt now. The rain and drizzly had just about stopped when I went through. After that the road is in good shape except for a few stretches.
Good deal Russ! 12-13 hours is good time. Enjoy the good weather. Leaving the Sacramento area at about 5am in the morning. Hope this UGLY weather eases up a bit.

toneart - 12-18-2010 at 11:48 PM

Keep the reports coming. All of California is really getting hammered. Southern California will be very vulnerable to flooding. So is Baja.

I have friends who are in Bakersfield tonight and they are going to attempt getting through SoCal and start down Baja tomorrow. If it rains in Baja like it is in California it will quickly deteriorate, just like last year. HWY 1 is no place to get stranded. Better to stay put in a motel in San Diego or Ensenada. Book a reservation now, just in case.

I have told my friends to check here for the latest information.

bajabass - 12-19-2010 at 05:01 AM

OK, it is 4am and I'm leaving the Placerville/Sac area in a few minutes. Rain is quiet right now, but it poured all night. I will check on conditions between here and O.C. and report in about 8 hours when I arrive. Been stranded in Santa Rosalia once a few years ago. The vados north of town and just south of the prison were unpassable for two days. Fortunately we had a room at the El Morro. If it looks ugly later this week, I may have to wait it out in La Mision before I can haul boat and burro to La Paz.:( Bajabass out!!

[Edited on 12-19-2010 by bajabass]

Russ - 12-19-2010 at 06:54 AM

A series of warm Pacific storms will continue to batter Southern California with strong winds, heavy downpours and snowfall Sunday, according to the National Weather Service.
Poor Bass is in for one hell of a trip. Glad to be home and DRY!

nbacc - 12-19-2010 at 07:57 AM

raining like crazy in Redding at the moment. BUT that is what it is supposed to do here at this time of year............I will take San Felipe anytime.

Jack Swords - 12-19-2010 at 12:45 PM

Left Santa Maria at noon Thursday. Left San Diego Friday at dawn, crossed at San Ysidro...lots of returning Mexicans (Navidad) carrying loads of stuff, being searched. We were waved on. Stayed in Guerrero Negro, left at 5 AM Saturday, arrived in La Paz at 4 PM. No rain, no problems. Road is best I've seen. Lots of new bridges, even over vados. Construction past Ensenada smooth and not bad. Clear here in La Paz, 82 degrees at noon. Certainly beat the rain. Next time we'll get the visa from Vagabundos to avoid the border crunch due to Christmas (getting visa etc.)

bajabass - 12-19-2010 at 02:28 PM

Home in one piece! Not a drive I wish to repeat anytime soon! I sure hope this storm stays north, and I have a clear flight path south come Wednesday or Thursday. Yeah Russ, heavy downpours, constant showers, and strong, gusty winds. Enough crashed cars and trucks for a Godzilla movie! :yes:

kiterkip - 12-19-2010 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Home in one piece! Not a drive I wish to repeat anytime soon! I sure hope this storm stays north, and I have a clear flight path south come Wednesday or Thursday. Yeah Russ, heavy downpours, constant showers, and strong, gusty winds. Enough crashed cars and trucks for a Godzilla movie! :yes:

So, I've got my Visa from Vagabundos in advance. But I plan on taking my car to the mainland later in January. Do I need to spend much more time at the border in San Ysidro? Or can I get the waive through, and skip the "something to declare"? Crossing about Jan 2 or 3.

bajabass - 12-19-2010 at 03:40 PM

Make sure your Mexican insurance policy covers the mainland. My company offers 2 zones, Baja and a small section around to Rocky Point, beyond that is an additional fee.

Russ - 12-20-2010 at 05:59 AM

Should be an interesting drive today

SAT ~ 12:20:10.jpg - 46kB

bajabass - 12-20-2010 at 06:38 AM

Look at all the pretty colors!! :rolleyes: Staying local today, filling a big storage unit. The hills will be sliding up here by the end of the week! Looks like a break coming Thursday, the day I should be leaving for La Paz.:?: Looks like winds from the south are going to keep this mess up north. PLEASE!!!

shari - 12-20-2010 at 08:26 AM

holy crap...that looks NASTY!!! glad we are in lalaland here...for now anyway. Last night there was such a strange south breeze...hope it keeps on doing what it's doing and keeps those clouds up north...drive safely everyone por favor!!!

David K - 12-20-2010 at 08:27 AM

That is called the Pineapple Express... it comes from Hawaii and brings lots of 'juice' to California!

Martyman - 12-20-2010 at 09:44 AM

Monday Morning got an email from my buddy who is heading to Bahia de Los Angeles. He said that it poured all Sunday night at their hotel in Ensenada but they are going to try to get down to BdeLA today. My questions is what about the new bridge in El Rosario? Is it completed? If the paved side road is still in use, the road will probably be closed from the rainwater in the river. Any updates on the rebuilt bridges in Northern Baja?

Thanks

wilderone - 12-20-2010 at 09:56 AM

"But I plan on taking my car to the mainland later in January"
Don't forget to bring all documents for temporary auto registration, required for mainland travel (some areas exempt).

"what about the new bridge in El Rosario? Is it completed?"
No, it's not completed. It is possible that a flow will cross the now paved detour road through the arroyo (just like the old days). But the flow could be diverted somewhat by the piles of sand that were moved around for the new bridge construction, and the southern end is more or less out of the main drainage. It's anyone's guess as to what any flood waters will do now. Go for it - follow the many intrepid Baja residents who know best.

bajatravelergeorge - 12-20-2010 at 02:15 PM

Can anyone give me a recap of the last 24 hours weather at Punta Banda / La Bufadora? Accumulated rainfall total?

Thanks!

Bajahowodd - 12-20-2010 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Monday Morning got an email from my buddy who is heading to Bahia de Los Angeles. He said that it poured all Sunday night at their hotel in Ensenada but they are going to try to get down to BdeLA today. My questions is what about the new bridge in El Rosario? Is it completed? If the paved side road is still in use, the road will probably be closed from the rainwater in the river. Any updates on the rebuilt bridges in Northern Baja?

Thanks

There was a post here within the past few days that said the bridge was completed. Maybe just in time to get washed-out again?:?::o:o

msteve1014 - 12-20-2010 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
There was a post here within the past few days that said the bridge was completed. Maybe just in time to get washed-out again?:?::o:o

they did not get that much rain.

David K - 12-20-2010 at 07:26 PM

oxxo on 12-10-10 in Baja Trip Reports forum posted this:

"Bridge south of El Rosario is complete and in operation"

woody with a view - 12-20-2010 at 07:29 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=NKX&re...

[Edited on 12-22-2010 by BajaNomad]

Baja&Back - 12-20-2010 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiterkip
So, I've got my Visa from Vagabundos in advance. But I plan on taking my car to the mainland later in January. Crossing about Jan 2 or 3.

Kiterkip: What destination did you write in on your tourist card??

A friend got refused travel on the Baja Ferry because his tourist card read "Cabo San Lucas" as destination address. We always write in Mexico City, just in case plans change.

bajabass - 12-21-2010 at 05:41 AM

Anybody have a current report on the toll road between TJ and Ensenada? Hopefully all is clear! Leaving for a short run to La Mision in a half hour.

Russ - 12-21-2010 at 08:36 AM

Only one stretch of repairs when I came through last week.
Appears that there is rain south of the boarder this morning. May be messy south of Ensenada

SAT~12:21:10.jpg - 42kB

bajabass - 12-21-2010 at 02:19 PM

Pulled a round trip to La Mision, back to Orange this morning. The river road approaching the border was underwater as you head out of town. Standing water in several areas of the toll road, both south and northbound.
If it rain any harder there tonight, it will be a nightmare. Everyone be safe!!!

dtbushpilot - 12-21-2010 at 02:29 PM

Just my luck, I'm leaving in the morning from Buena Vista BCS, traveling with 1 friend 2 cats and Cacahuate the wonder dog. Plan to overnight tomorrow in Gurrero Negro then head to San Diego....or maybe somewhere short of there on Thursday......

If anybody has a fresh Baja road report before midnight tonight I'd appreciate it.......Anyone know of a good seasoning for Bar-b-qued cat in case we get stranded?:lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 12-21-2010 at 02:44 PM

It's been raining hard here for the last couple hours and they say the worst is yet to come.
I'm drinking to excess so I couldn't care less. :biggrin:

BajaGringo - 12-21-2010 at 04:51 PM

We got some rain out her on the beach outside San Quintin yesterday but today it is just cloudy with a lot of wind out of the south.

shari - 12-21-2010 at 08:16 PM

The road was a bit wet this morning around Vizcaino...it spit a bit in GN but cleared up around sunset...dt...forget GN and crappy weather...hang a left at Viz and shack up with Mike and DonKay one night...you will never forget it...he is one funny dude and LOVES BBQ kitty! safe trip amigo and dont let cacahuate drive too fast.

mulegemichael - 12-21-2010 at 09:23 PM

a nice "cat rub" will be great on the bbq, dt...stop by here on your return; there's always a bed fer ya here, ya know that. m.

Bajaboy - 12-22-2010 at 02:21 AM

Just did the trip north from Bahia Asuncion...the new construction south of Ensenada is a mess with lots of pot holes, etc., on road that was great last week. Heading back south tomorrow and will give an update when I can get to it. Also, lots of rocks on the toll road north of Ensenada. Be careful out there.

Zac

DENNIS - 12-22-2010 at 07:06 AM

It's been blowing like all hell throughout the night. Light rain as well.....nothing torrential, but they say the worst is yet to get here.

cj5orion - 12-22-2010 at 07:18 AM

hey Russ;
Whats the http on this weather site ???

Quote:
Only one stretch of repairs when I came through last week.
Appears that there is rain south of the boarder this morning. May be messy south of Ensenada

Russ - 12-22-2010 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5orion
hey Russ;
Whats the http on this weather site ???

I don't understand what you're asking. Do you not get the site? Or did I not post the complete URL?

DENNIS - 12-22-2010 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It's been blowing like all hell throughout the night. Light rain as well.....nothing torrential, but they say the worst is yet to get here.

And...it's here. Raining Gatos y Perros....parllel to the ground, no less.

BAJACAT - 12-22-2010 at 10:06 AM

same here in San Diego, it's raining like if there is no tomorrow, haven't work for 3 days...so what to do watch Baja Movies..heehheh

BajaGringo - 12-22-2010 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:

And...it's here. Raining Gatos y Perros....parllel to the ground, no less.

It hit us here as well. The solar panels aren't putting out much but thank God for the wind...

Bajatripper - 12-22-2010 at 01:44 PM

No road-closure news (so far) must be good news. My daughter and I will be heading up from La Paz to California this Friday and I really appreciate the up-to-the-minute reports available to us here.

For those of us who will be on the road really soon, we should start listing our vehicles so if we do get stranded for a while, we might have a chance to meet fellow Nomads. We'll be traveling in a black Toyota 4Runner with Washington plates. I'll try to catch a cat to take along, just in case.

bajatravelergeorge - 12-22-2010 at 02:37 PM

Dennis, Thanks for the rain updates from Punta Banda. It looks like the worst is over.

Misiom Santa Maria Trail Rated

David K - 12-22-2010 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
No road-closure news (so far) must be good news. My daughter and I will be heading up from La Paz to California this Friday and I really appreciate the up-to-the-minute reports available to us here.

For those of us who will be on the road really soon, we should start listing our vehicles so if we do get stranded for a while, we might have a chance to meet fellow Nomads. We'll be traveling in a black Toyota 4Runner with Washington plates. I'll try to catch a cat to take along, just in case.

Built Baja Tough... Oh, what a feeling!:bounce:

Bajahowodd - 12-22-2010 at 03:56 PM

How helpful. :fire:

David K - 12-22-2010 at 04:01 PM

Yes, about as much as your post... :lol:

bajatravelergeorge - 12-22-2010 at 04:04 PM

Are you freeken nuts David? Was it worth it?

David K - 12-22-2010 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
Are you freeken nuts David? Was it worth it?

What are you talking about?

Bajatripper was describing his 4Runner, so I posted a few photos of it from last May... Go to the Trip Reports pages to see photos of all 6 vehicles that went in to the mission. It was a great trip... in a special kind of way!

Leo - 12-22-2010 at 04:11 PM

Love those pictures David!
Fun to watch AFTER the facts. Wish I had taken a picture from our Van which was up to the axels and exhaust pipe in sand on a beach. But all we could do is dig and drive two feet, dig again etc. All that afternoon and nothing to show for.

David K - 12-22-2010 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Love those pictures David!
Fun to watch AFTER the facts. Wish I had taken a picture from our Van which was up to the axels and exhaust pipe in sand on a beach. But all we could do is dig and drive two feet, dig again etc. All that afternoon and nothing to show for.

Yah, it is good to record the good, the bad, and the ugly with a camera!

Next time, deflate your tires way down (8-10 psi) and drive across or out of the sand!

Merry Christmas!/ Happy Festivus!

[Edited on 12-22-2010 by David K]

Bajahowodd - 12-22-2010 at 04:15 PM

Oh. What the heck. A thread about Baja road conditions and the latest rain reports is probably fair game for narcissists.

DianaT - 12-22-2010 at 04:20 PM

Back on Topic, please---tis important to some of us with plans.

Does anyone have an update on the road south of Encenada ----did this current rain cause problems for crossing the river in places like Vicente Guerrero?

It rained very hard last night here in Imperial Beach and in Tijuana----

Please, really would like to see current reports

Come on it's almost Christmas

tripledigitken - 12-22-2010 at 04:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3MiD_U4CHQ

Bajahowodd - 12-22-2010 at 05:01 PM

Gee Ken. Didn't know you were folkie. I've got tons of stories about Greenwich Village. In any event, gotta agree with Diane that it's most helpful to keep a thread going about current road conditions. Feliz.

San Diego south to San Quintin

Susana - 12-22-2010 at 05:45 PM

Diana, we just made the trip from San Diego to San Quintin today, (Wednesday). We entered at San Ysidro, pretty uneventful except for some mud on the road just before Playas de Tijuana. The construction are south of Maneadero was messy with lots of potholes, but very passable. The San Vicente bridge detour was being worked on when we passed through. One lane only, but it looked like they had it under control. There was quite a bit of water there right now. All the other bridges (detours) were fine and no water.
Have a safe trip!

DanO - 12-22-2010 at 06:13 PM

Anyone just emerging from the muck between Maneadero and Uruapan with any further info? I should be hitting that stretch southbound early tomorrow afternoon and will try to post a condition report from Acambaro.

[Edited on 12-23-2010 by DanO]

DENNIS - 12-22-2010 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
Dennis, Thanks for the rain updates from Punta Banda. It looks like the worst is over.

Yeah, George.......looks like a break in the action at this moment. I hope it's over for a while to let the water run off.

You're welcome, BTW.

DavidE - 12-22-2010 at 06:47 PM

Supposed to be "La Momacita de Las Tormentas" eastbound out in the pacific. Just keep a weather eye on the idea that a huge storm can once again bust out bridges between Colonet and El Rosario.

Good idea to carry water, blankets and food for a week.

DianaT - 12-22-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Susana
Diana, we just made the trip from San Diego to San Quintin today, (Wednesday). We entered at San Ysidro, pretty uneventful except for some mud on the road just before Playas de Tijuana. The construction are south of Maneadero was messy with lots of potholes, but very passable. The San Vicente bridge detour was being worked on when we passed through. One lane only, but it looked like they had it under control. There was quite a bit of water there right now. All the other bridges (detours) were fine and no water.
Have a safe trip!

THANKS ---- with the new bridge not completed, that river can be a real problem---guess the silver lining is that when it runs fast and furiously the locals collect firewood at the mouth.

So now, we continue to watch and look for updates. Here in Imperial Beach we are predicted to have a break, then more storms. We will be watching for updates as we want to be in the Vicente Guerrero area for New Years!

[Edited on 12-23-2010 by DianaT]

DENNIS - 12-22-2010 at 09:23 PM

Nice and quiet here right now. No wind...no rain.

G'nite.

shari - 12-22-2010 at 09:29 PM

You're not gonna believe this but it is actually raining here in Asuncion at the moment...crap!! we werent expecting THIS at all...they just cancelled a big quincenera dance that everyone was getting ready for...dang.

It's just a bit more than a mist and doubt it will last very long...but just thought some of you might want to know...misery love company right?

DENNIS - 12-22-2010 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
...misery loves company right?

Oh well, there's always tomorrow. The very special 15 years plus one day celebration will be just as meaningful. After all...it's just puberty rites.

Hey Shari....have you ever noticed the indigenous women [are they around down there?] running for cover when a solar eclipse begins? They believe if caught out in one, they will become sterile.

shari - 12-22-2010 at 10:34 PM

never saw them running but have seen them tie a red ribbon or string around their bellies and on plants too to prevent them from dying.

DENNIS - 12-23-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
never saw them running but have seen them tie a red ribbon or string around their bellies and on plants too to prevent them from dying.

I'll keep an eye out for that one. It must work.
Another one more commonly used by mainstream Mexicans is to shave a baby's head to concentrate growth on the body rather than the hair when one thinks the baby has stopped growing.
I had neighbors who were professionals at UABC who did this to their baby. They said it was on the advice of their doctor. I guess there's no accounting for religion and medical superstition.

shari - 12-23-2010 at 08:01 AM

hmmm...I guess that's why Izaak, the man baby is so big...not much hair so lots of concentration on growth...he has sideburns though!!

the big 15th birthday party happened after all...till 4:30 this morning...I'm sure the missy is very pleased and tired today! It is a bright, clear sunny day today to dry things out.

DENNIS - 12-23-2010 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
...he has sideburns though!!

It is a bright, clear sunny day today to dry things out.

Elvis reborn.

Yeah....it's beautiful here this AM. No wind....lots of blue sky and sun.... colder than a witch's udder.
Today I get to be Paraquat Man, cleansing the world of all these nasty weeds and things that grow out of the ground as fast as Bamboo after a rain.

Then...I get to celebrate. SALUD

Bajaboy - 12-24-2010 at 07:27 AM

The road is in pretty bad shape in spots. The construction work south of Ensenada is really torn up now. Much of Hwy 1 has a lot of new pot holes as well.

And I made it home in time for the quincenera....the party went on until about 4am despite a few rain drops.

Zac

David K - 12-24-2010 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
The road is in pretty bad shape in spots. The construction work south of Ensenada is really torn up now. Much of Hwy 1 has a lot of new pot holes as well.

And I made it home in time for the quincenera....the party went on until about 4am despite a few rain drops.

Zac

Zac, a Nomad reported that the El Rosario bridge was completed... can you confirm that please.

How are the Colonia V. Guerrero (Santo Domingo River) bridge and the San Vicente bridge coming along?

Merry Christmas!

bkbend - 12-24-2010 at 12:14 PM

I drove across the NEW El Rosario bridge two weeks ago.

mcfez - 12-24-2010 at 12:24 PM

For those of you planning on traveling on 99 ......Grapevine through Los Angeles towards Baja..... is clear cut

My of guys just arrived in Seal Beach and Orange County. No snow or mud issues.