BajaNomad

2010 "BAJA 1000" REPORT

elchinero - 12-24-2010 at 10:39 AM

See attachment

elchinero - 12-24-2010 at 10:47 AM

Use this link ..

https://files.me.com/elchinero/125s6h

karmatourer - 12-24-2010 at 10:55 AM

Thanks elch.It's been 3 years since I was able to see the race.Won't be missing it again,as long as I can throw a leg over.

David K - 12-24-2010 at 11:47 AM

Class 11 is really so cool if you think about it... The exact opposite of a Trophy Truck... and it makes it to La Paz after losing half of its power, to boot!

TMW - 12-24-2010 at 12:25 PM

What an adventure. Great story.

ocotillo - 12-24-2010 at 01:16 PM

Thanks for the link elchinero. While camped out with my girlfriend south of L.A. Bay waitting for the first Trophy Truck to blow through a red team truck showed up and set up their pit. The pit boss walked over and asked if I could help them out when their truck got there as they were short handed, well of course I said yes. A couple hours later he came over and got me, told me how he wanted me to stand in front of the truck with flashlights to hold it while they serviced it, and added "if he comes in too hot jump out of the way!" Soon we could see the lights and hear the engine screaming through the desert night as it got closer, and I stood my ground as the 850 horsepower beast was guided off the course into the makeshift pit within two feet of my chest, where it stood impatiently while the driver reved the engine untill I was finally given the signal to release it in a cloud of dust and sand. Well the truck turned out to be the #21 Vildosola Trophy Truck and they were in the lead with Robbie Gordon closing fast. They won and made history, and gave one old desert dog a great thrill and a memory that will last forever.

skippermike - 12-27-2010 at 05:34 PM

Another great story Tony.
We missed you at Villa Bahia by a day - we stayed there Thursday and Friday.
We were the McMillin comm and BFG interface in BOLA.
Now you know who SkipperMike is!

BajaGeoff - 12-29-2010 at 11:27 AM

Nice B1K recap elchinero! It was a fun read....