BajaNomad

Trip Report 1/1/11

Cielomar - 1-2-2011 at 10:02 AM

I drove the length of the Baja from Tijuana to Cabo over Christmas again this year. In general, the road is in much better shape than it was this summer. The bridges are all but done, some dangerous sections have been given shoulders and except for two sections, construction has ceased.

From Ensenada to El Rosario there is a 3-5 mile section south of Santo Tomas that is under construction and the going is slow. About 27 km south of Santo Tomas is the last remaining unfinished bridge in the extensive bridge building program. The drive around is paved and in good shape.

Down south from Todos Santos to Cabo the road is still torn up for about 20km between Todos and Pescadero with many unpaved and dangerous sections. Go slow!! The bridges are in however.

The rains over Christmas have brought out the green in Northern Baja and all the way to Guerrero Negro is a garden. Beautiful!

I had only one minor hassle the whole trip and that was on the way back at the military check point north of El Rosario on New Year's morning about 8:45 AM. Some of the soldiers asked for "presents". I gently refused and they didn't make anything out f it. As others have posted, keep your wallet/purse on you and watch as they go through your stuff.

Going south the military just waves you past after a stop. Headed north they make you get out and check the vehicle fairly thoroughly. For the most part still polite and professional. Enjoy!!

BajaBlanca - 1-2-2011 at 10:24 AM

good trip report !! we were waved thru all the checkpoints coming back from San Diego. Smooth sailing the whole way ....

Bajaboy - 1-2-2011 at 10:26 AM

We had a similar negative vibe yesterday at the same checkpoint. At most of the checkpoints, the soldiers are great...especially when they see our kids. We get a few laughs, a cursory look, and then are waived on. But yesterday, the solider was terse, unfriendly, and moved very slowly....maybe he was hungover or bitter about working on New Years Day.

Great bumping into you along the highway yesterday even if you did almost kill me:lol:

Zac

Marc - 1-4-2011 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
We had a similar negative vibe yesterday at the same checkpoint. At most of the checkpoints, the soldiers are great...especially when they see our kids. We get a few laughs, a cursory look, and then are waived on. But yesterday, the solider was terse, unfriendly, and moved very slowly....maybe he was hungover or bitter about working on New Years Day.

Great bumping into you along the highway yesterday even if you did almost kill me:lol:

Was a post a while back (Russ??) about that checkpoint. Seems a fair amount of cash was stolen from the vehicle.

krafty - 1-4-2011 at 09:04 PM

I also read that post-did not have that experience there, but it was 3 days after the post so perhaps they had gotten their hands slapped, as I believe it was reported-did make us all more aware thru all the ck pts. which was a good thing.

woody with a view - 1-4-2011 at 09:04 PM

i'll be coming north sun/mon. is it wrong to put a folded $20 in the center console with the words "yo soy bruto" in black marker on it? if/when it is missing after i get in the truck i can start a commotion and YELL for the commandante/jefe and then explain what the problem is. problem solved????

BTW, home depot (u.s.) has some small l.e.d. flashlights on sale 5 for $15 (with batteries). i picked up 2 packs and plan to hand them out to the soldiers who inspect the interior after they pass "the test!"

"muchas gracias, Jefe." or something like that.....

Bajaboy - 1-4-2011 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i'll be coming north sun/mon. is it wrong to put a folded $20 in the center console with the words "yo soy bruto" in black marker on it? if/when it is missing after i get in the truck i can start a commotion and YELL for the commandante/jefe and then explain what the problem is. problem solved????

BTW, home depot (u.s.) has some small l.e.d. flashlights on sale 5 for $15 (with batteries). i picked up 2 packs and plan to hand them out to the soldiers who inspect the interior after they pass "the test!"

"muchas gracias, Jefe." or something like that.....

Will you reward the US Border Patrol agents as well:?: