BajaNomad

My Crazy Mexican Amigo!!!

estebanis - 1-7-2011 at 10:37 AM

Just back from a great trip to our campo in Erendira. It was the best time ever. Total imersion into the baja culture.
While there I worked on a very good Mexican friends car. He told me that the dogs had been sleeping under it and causing the alarm to go off all night. The next morning it would not start. He is a good mechanic but this one had him beat. I spent several hours trying to figure it out. It was tough with out any kind of wiring diagrams. But as I was grumbling and strugling with the complexities his daughter showed up with a Chiltons of a simular model that a neighbor had.
That was all I needed and was able to isolate the problem. Though I never found where the ignition voltage wire was open. As soon as I saw the schematic I tried feeding a postive to the relay that feeds the igntiton system and the motor started. The look on his face was so rewarding! I simply ran a permenant jumper from the igntion wire in the steering column to the relay contact that feeds the engine.

Now the Crazy Mexican Amigo part...
The repair was done on Thursday that Sunday he drove with his family to the snow on San Pedro Martir in the car. Talk about trusting a repair! Then he pitched a small tent and with only 2 blankets each they all froze their A**'s off all night. His 10 year old daughter had told them she wanted to play in the snow and they were off.
We stopped by to visit on Monday afternoon and he came out from the bedroom all hagered talking about not sleeping a wink in the cold. Their table was covered with pine cones and they told us all about the snow ball fights and other fun in the snow...
Esteban

David K - 1-7-2011 at 12:40 PM

Wow!:bounce: