BajaNomad

ROAD to Bahia Tortugas, Punta Eugenia ?

roadhog - 1-14-2011 at 08:23 PM

What are road conditions out there ? paved, washboard, speeds ? :bounce:

David K - 1-14-2011 at 11:11 PM

Paved from Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion now... the road ahead to Tortugas is graded dirt west of the Asuncion left turn... Some pavement shown as you near Tortugas... Others can give you updates on that part.

BAJACAT - 1-15-2011 at 11:42 AM

It look pave to me but maybe some pot holes, but this was in March 2010 when i pay a visit to Shari in Bahia Asuncion. I know that they fix the pot holes a while back.

roadhog - 1-17-2011 at 07:53 PM

Pemex in Tortugas ? A fish cannery out there ?

DianaT - 1-17-2011 at 08:17 PM

They have been paving the road from the turnoff to Bahia Asuncion to Tortugas from BOTH ends---I do not believe it is completed---was NOT close to being completed in June of 2010 which is the last time we were out there.

From Tortugas, it was paved up to San Jose del Castro and they were working on about the first 6 miles from the turn off to Bahia Asuncion going toward Tortugas. I guess if they continued to work really fast, it COULD be completed.

Much of the dirt road was very much a washboard. Yes, there is a Pemex and there is a Fishing Co-op in Tortugas

As of the middle of November, the pot holes at the beginning of the Vizcaino Road were beginning to dig out again. It was still so much better than before, but do be careful and keep your eyes open.

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by DianaT]

Udo - 1-17-2011 at 09:55 PM

There are two Pemex stations in town, don't know why..but WTF?
There re two small motels (basic) in town. And this is the kind of place whee one can leave the keys to your car in the ignition, and a week later the car is still there where you left it.
Do take a drive to the beach area (2wd ok) at the pier. The other must see is Playa Malarrimo, on the right about 6 miles before town, again, 2wd ok.
The road to Punta Eugenio is passable, but high clerance is advisable as well as 4X4. Worth the effort getting there.
Enjoy!

norte - 1-18-2011 at 07:54 AM

David, when was the last time you were in Bahia Tortugas?

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Paved from Vizcaino to Bahia Asuncion now... the road ahead to Tortugas is graded dirt west of the Asuncion left turn... Some pavement shown as you near Tortugas... Others can give you updates on that part.

shari - 1-18-2011 at 09:02 AM

potholes on the Vizcaino road were fixed pretty well but some are starting to dig out again. There are some sand dunes jutting out into the westbound lane so watch out for those too.

Tortugas is not a place I would leave my truck unlocked...vehicles dont get stolen much because it's easy to get caught as there are only a couple roads out but things do go missing there...just a word of caution.

sorry, dont know the status of pavement as we rarely go there.

DianaT - 1-18-2011 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
There are two Pemex stations in town, don't know why..but WTF?
There re two small motels (basic) in town. And this is the kind of place whee one can leave the keys to your car in the ignition, and a week later the car is still there where you left it.
Do take a drive to the beach area (2wd ok) at the pier. The other must see is Playa Malarrimo, on the right about 6 miles before town, again, 2wd ok.
The road to Punta Eugenio is passable, but high clerance is advisable as well as 4X4. Worth the effort getting there.
Enjoy!

Udo,
When were you out there? In June, the road out to Punta Eugenia was in great shape and yes, it is worth seeing----but then again, so was the road from Bahia Asuncion to San Jose del Castro after the turn off to the lobster feast capital at San Pablo and that road can be terrible at times. Guess we timed it all right after a major grading. :yes:

Are you talking about the Malarrimo where the fishing village is? In August, a film crew went out to the fishing village at Malarrimo and hired some locals to take them the rest of the way to the famous trash/treasure beach. They were glad they did not try it on their own.

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by DianaT]

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 09:24 AM

one way to get to Playa Malarrimo

[img][/img]

David K - 1-18-2011 at 10:09 AM

Great photo Ralph...

norte: after about 3 hours of no replies, I posted the AAA map that showed what I said, and commented on the road to Asuncion from Vizcaino which I drove in '07. I am glad others who have been there responded... Where is your assistance on this question?

norte - 1-18-2011 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
norte: after about 3 hours of no replies, I posted the AAA map that showed what I said, and commented on the road to Asuncion from Vizcaino which I drove in '07. I am glad others who have been there responded... Where is your assistance on this question?

Because, unlike you, I do not give advice on roads I have never been on.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Quote:

Because, unlike you, I do not give advice on roads I have never been on.

Too bad you can't understand the small reply I gave with the map post:

"Some pavement shown as you near Tortugas... Others can give you updates on that part."

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 05:05 PM

hows the surf out that way?

DianaT - 1-18-2011 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
hows the surf out that way?

They have a surf club and some local surf tournaments, but I can't say how good it is, but there must be some surf.

But I do know that for spear fishermen it is supposed to be really great. A friend bought a house out in Tortugas just for the spear fishing---he and his friends say it is the best in the area.

Bajamatic - 1-18-2011 at 05:19 PM

is spear fishing legal for gringos out there? Also - question about Co-ops. Is the co-op law the same in baja norte as it is in baja sur? I know is the ascuncion area its taken very seriously, but for many years in Norte I've bought lobsters and fresh fish directly from the fisherman. they seem to make a campsite run everyday on their way to market. Is this actually illegal for them AND me?

shari - 1-18-2011 at 08:07 PM

yes you may spearfish but do need a mexican fishing license and only do so freediving with a speargun and spear 5 fish...and need a biosphere reserve permit as well if you go on a boat.

The coops arent thrilled about it as they worry about poaching but there is a desire by the tourism sector to allow it and in some areas they are trying to disallow it...I heard rumblings that Tortugas coop didnt want it but not sure they can forbid it...only fisheries can do that.

shari - 1-18-2011 at 08:09 PM

The road to Eugenia is well maintained and usually in very good shape, I enjoy camping there sometimes.