BajaNomad

Orca's snacking on Manta Rays in the SOC

fishabductor - 1-18-2011 at 06:34 PM

I saw the coolest thing I have ever seen in Baja today. I had 2 pods of Killer Whales snacking on Manta Rays right next to the boat. The whales came within 10' of the boat. I followed and watched the mayhem for over an hr. The water temp was 68.3. The whales were much smaller than WA/AK

[Edited on 1-19-2011 by fishabductor]

Paulina - 1-18-2011 at 06:44 PM

Very cool. Where is the camera when you need it?

P<*)))>{

fishabductor - 1-18-2011 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Very cool. Where is the camera when you need it?

P<*)))>{

it was in my hands snapping photos and shooting video. It shoots underwater video too, so I got a little of that as well.

Paulina - 1-18-2011 at 07:02 PM

Post up!

I'd love to see the pics.

What kind of camera do you have? We need to get one that does the underwater stuff.

P<*)))>{

fishabductor - 1-18-2011 at 07:11 PM

I don't know how to post video on here. anyone wants to do it I'll u2u them the file. I have an Olympus Tough 8010. It is a realy good boat camera, that I just got for xmas, I like it so far. It is slow as a regular camera, I miss the shot I want. It has about a 2-3 seconds delay. It shoots great video, esp underwater to 33 ft. it can also be dropped from 6ft and its crushproof to 250lbs! Perfect for boat abuse

monoloco - 1-18-2011 at 07:56 PM

Catching any fish down that way?

Skipjack Joe - 1-18-2011 at 07:57 PM

I can post it if you like.

You have to upload it to youtube first and then format the link a certain way to have it display on nomads.

I'm sure there's a 'how to' link in the questions and answers forum.

Skipjack Joe - 1-18-2011 at 08:02 PM

Wrong forum. Here's a link to directions:

posting a video

fishabductor - 1-18-2011 at 08:23 PM

Looks like this guy saw them too. He is just south of me.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49987&pag...

amirravon - 1-18-2011 at 11:08 PM

fishabductor, I cant wait to see the pics/video..... can you be more specific on the location . I have friends visiting that i wold like to take them to see this magnificent mammal. Thanks Amir

NOT manta's

bajadave1 - 1-20-2011 at 06:27 AM

Sorry, they are NOT manta rays. They are Mobula rays. google it.

We have huge schools of them in the area. Sometimes they sound like popcorn popping, while they are jumpin'
Dave

baitcast - 1-20-2011 at 08:18 AM

A great shot of flying Mobulas.

Ken Bondy - 1-20-2011 at 11:34 AM

Mobulas and mantas have very different front-end and cephalic fin structures (those projections at the side of the mouth used to funnel food). Mantas are MUCH larger, and are generally solitary. Mobulas gather in large schools at times:

Mobula:

Pacific manta ray:

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by Ken Bondy]

ddawson - 1-23-2011 at 09:54 PM

Great vid. We saw a pod of orcas while on the beach just South of Punta Pescador on 12/28. They were appx 250 yds offshore and also chasing a school of rays (I forget the exact type). My brother and I were spearfishing exactly where the orcas were swimming 30 min earlier. The rays were swimming all around us. We got out for lunch and then the orcas showed up. It was impressive and scary at the same time! They were only in the area for 45 min before leaving.

My gf took a few pics with her point and shoot from shore:

Geo_Skip - 1-23-2011 at 11:30 PM

So you didn't get in the water and take some underwater photos?

mtgoat666 - 1-23-2011 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ddawson
Great vid. We saw a pod of orcas while on the beach just South of Punta Pescador on 12/28. They were appx 250 yds offshore and also chasing a school of rays (I forget the exact type). My brother and I were spearfishing exactly where the orcas were swimming 30 min earlier. The rays were swimming all around us. We got out for lunch and then the orcas showed up. It was impressive and scary at the same time! They were only in the area for 45 min before leaving.

dddawson:
are you sure those are orcas? the dorsal fins look too short,... perhaps you saw another variety of porpoise?

Mulegena - 1-24-2011 at 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
Sorry, they are NOT manta rays. They are Mobula rays. google it.

We have huge schools of them in the area. Sometimes they sound like popcorn popping, while they are jumpin'
Dave

Yes, these beauties are Mobula or Eagle Rays.

Mantas are around but they're unmistakable by their size, kinda like a Volkswagon flying by.

What you'll see for sale dried in the markets and made as a burrito are not "Mantaraya" as the signs say, but mobula. Sadly, I've seen fishermen filet their flesh in their boats, then dump the cartilaginous skeleton overboard close to shore in snorkeling areas.

fishabductor - 1-24-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by ddawson

dddawson:
are you sure those are orcas? the dorsal fins look too short,... perhaps you saw another variety of porpoise?

The baja orcas are really small in comparison to their northern counterparts. I'd say they are about 1/2 the size as they are in the NW. They were still bigger than my 15' westcoaster. Probably has something to due with the availability of food. the cold NW waters are very rich in Nutrients(like Krill) while I have heard the SOC described as a barren desert.

ddawson - 1-24-2011 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

dddawson:

yes, I agree they are a bit small, but I am positive they are orcas. i unfortunately didn't have my DSLR to get better pics.

one of my best friends happened to be in a boat fishing close in that day and pulled up nearby and filmed them swimming with his Go-Pro camera. he is currently on Maui, and I am trying to get the footage from him. I'll post it up when I get it.

**edited because I messed up the quote

[Edited on 1-24-2011 by ddawson]

motoged - 1-24-2011 at 12:50 PM

Recent Orca research in British Columbia has determined there are three different populations: coastal residents, travelling pods, and offshore pods. The offshore pods have been found to be wearing their teeth down at a significant rate due to their taste for sharks....:o:o:o the abrasive shark skin is tough to chew and is wearing their teeth down.

Who woulda thunk???:?:

Do these rays have a hide like a shark???

Cypress - 1-24-2011 at 01:19 PM

Amazing what you learn on this forum.:yes: