BajaNomad

Thank you, Nomads

Barbarosa - 1-26-2011 at 11:26 PM

OK, I'm kinda cheating right now, because I don't have a recent trip to report on.

Actually, I started this under Q&A, but I don't exactly have any burning questions right now ('cause you've all already been really helpful!).

So, I don't have any questions or answers or pearls of wisdom about great sites and attractions. (Give me a coupla weeks on that one.) But I have gotten some really useful info from youse folks and I really appreciate it.

As I've mentioned, I've been down there quite a few times: usually solo, but sometimes with m' bride on the back (of the bike), or with one or two other buds. But *never* with a big crowd.

Well, me and my big mouth, I've got a whole bunch of folks interested in traveling down there (but only with company). And once I got comfortable with the current actual situation down there (and then got *them* comfortable with same), pretty soon we've got ourselves a rolling party. And what better place for one?

I am REALLY excited about introducing a bunch of Gringos to Baja. Of one thing I'm certain. For none of them will this be their *only* trip to Baja!

The trip is pretty compressed. Some of these folks are cursed with that dreaded 4-letter "W" word. I wish we had at *least* 2-3 more days. But we don't, this time. Gotta accommodate m' really good buds.

8 couples will converge on Sandy Eggo next Thursday, all with their own motorcycles, literally from all corners of the 48.

Some have already headed out (one from frigid New England, trailering his bike far enough to get out of the worst of it and then heading southwest). Others are rolling in the next few days,

So, here's the (p)recap of our trip.

Friday, San Quintin
Saturday and Sunday, Guerrero Negro (whales)
Monday, Mulege
Tuesday, La Paz
Wednesday, Cabo San Lucas
Thursday, Loreto
Friday, San Ignatio
Saturday, Catavina
Sunday, Ensenada

(Try to imagine it; I know you can! There! There's th trip report.)

Like I say, kinda hurried (for my taste), but definitely hits all my top favorites. So, to justify sneaking this in here right now, I'll be sure and write something up when we return.

Been waaayyyy too long. Boy am I ready to get down there.

24baja - 1-26-2011 at 11:56 PM

Have a great trip, don't travel at night and have fun! Stay safe and report back later on the trip....with pics if you can!

DianaT - 1-27-2011 at 09:31 AM

Do have a wonderful time---wish you had more time to take it a little slower, and stop more often but the W word always does get in the way.

However, since this is the first trip for many involved, it will give them a lot to look forward to stopping and seeing in the future.

Be safe and have fun!

[Edited on 1-27-2011 by DianaT]

Barbarosa - 1-27-2011 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja
Have a great trip, don't travel at night and have fun! Stay safe and report back later on the trip....with pics if you can!

Thanks. Done! (Let's see if this works.)

First 2 "on the road" (so to speak).

This is Day 2 (for th' guy from VT). He's hooked up with bud from Joisey.

I *think* things got better today (in th' Carolinas) when, hopefully,they left the truck and trailer behind.

As one of 'em said: "Think warm blue calm ocean."

So, does this look like a Baja Trip Report?

[Edited on 1-28-2011 by BajaNomad]

Baja2011first2.jpg - 30kB

Barbarosa - 1-27-2011 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa

OK, so I'm still a newbie.

So, somebody U2U tell me how to *imbed* a photo.

Too much, Bro

Dave - 1-27-2011 at 10:56 PM

Especially on bikes and especially in a group. You'll spend most of the time just getting where you're going. Cut the distance in half and plan on spending twice as much time in each location.

Barbarosa - 1-27-2011 at 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Especially on bikes and especially in a group. You'll spend most of the time just getting where you're going. Cut the distance in half and plan on spending twice as much time in each location.

Well, I hear ya, man. Butt, too late.

I know the territory (wish I wuz doing less per day). I'd love to spend more time throughout, but it ain't gonna happen. Most of the days are plenty short (on mileage / riding hours). I agree: not enuf time at each destination. Definitely our loss. I and my wife know the loss. The rest will just have to go back (after they realize how shortchanged they are). It's all we can do (this time.)

Are we gonna fun anywho? Hell yes, we are!

24baja - 1-28-2011 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by 24baja

First 2 "on the road" (so to speak).

This is Day 2 (for th' guy from VT). He's hooked up with bud from Joisey.

I *think* things got better today (in th' Carolinas) when, hopefully,they left the truck and trailer behind.

As one of 'em said: "Think warm blue calm ocean."

So, does this look like a Baja Trip Report?

Oh my gosh, they will definately be ready for the glorius Sea of Cortez and southern Baja!

BajaGringo - 1-28-2011 at 02:30 PM

So sorry we missed you guys this trip - hopefully next time...

surfer jim - 1-28-2011 at 03:22 PM

Too far to go in such a short time...especially with a group. I would stay north of G.Negro. Mikes Sky Ranch, San Felipe, Gonzaga, BOLA, over to Pacific coast ..Sisters , El Rosario, back to coast.

Barbarosa - 1-28-2011 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Too far to go in such a short time...especially with a group. I would stay north of G.Negro. Mikes Sky Ranch, San Felipe, Gonzaga, BOLA, over to Pacific coast ..Sisters , El Rosario, back to coast.

Again, I can't entirely disagree, but would sure hate to see all my favorites in Sur! Naaa, not ideal but better than missing all of that.
Most days average 160 miles. Only 2 pretty long ones (and even that is only by Baja standards).

surfer jim - 1-28-2011 at 08:47 PM

Nothing wrong with seeing it all either. :bounce:

How will you do the "support" logistics....food, fuel, sleeping, mechanical issues?

Barbarosa - 1-28-2011 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Nothing wrong with seeing it all either. :bounce:

How will you do the "support" logistics....food, fuel, sleeping, mechanical issues?

I've made some pretty serious concessions. Never before traveled with a reservation or a "plan B." Rode solo (mostly); often camped; and just went with th' "Baha flow."

Well, with a crowd like this (big and all Baja newbies), and me being a bit anal about it, things are very different.

Note #1: This is a waayyyy bigger crowd than I would ever wish to travel with. But they're all v. good friends. If I had really publicized it at all, it would have been beyond anything I could have / would have done. These are just the very first folks I brought it up with.

For the first time, we're taking a chase truck. This is largely because with a big crowd like this, for the first time we're traveling with reservations. (Kinda a big: BLAH!). I don't think a big crowd could do otherwise and count on it working smoothly (unless they're ready to camp).

So this one is really structured.

Fuel? I bet I can show you where every gas pump in Baja is located. (I can't tell you if they have premium or whether they have gas at all, tho I think th' guy at Catavina is perhaps the most reliable "station" in most of the peninsula. <g>)

Food? Well, I know enough for general planning, and am thinkin we can work out such details as we go along. Trying to resist total overplanning.

Mechanical? We're all good riders with good, modern, reliable bikes. (Yeah, Harleys, too. <g>) And because it's so gosh darn structured with all them guaranteed reservations, well, that's the reason for the biggest accommodation: the chase truck.

Pretty different for me, that's fershure. But gotta be sure these guys (and guyettes) get a good taste of the place and suffer no major misfortunes along the way.

Barbarosa - 1-28-2011 at 11:57 PM

Quote:

Would sure hate to see all my favorites in Sur! Naaa, not ideal but better than missing all of that.
Most days average 160 miles. Only 2 pretty long ones (and even that is only by Baja standards).

Check that. (I HATE when I do this.) How about :

Would sure hate to ***NOT*** see all my favorites in Sur!

Trut' be known, the vast majority of the places I love are well to the south. Certainly not *all* in Sur, but Shirley no reason to stop half way down!

Barbarosa - 1-29-2011 at 12:02 AM

Quote:

because it's so gosh darn structured

Still a newbie, I guess. We really gotta say gosh darn here? Wow!

BajaBlanca - 1-29-2011 at 12:20 AM

gosh dern ! have yourselves a wonderful time !!

surfer jim - 1-29-2011 at 08:49 AM

When I read motorcycle I am thinking dirt bikes.....with street bikes the CABO run is the way to go. My brain is stuck on BAJA 1000 I guess.

tripledigitken - 1-29-2011 at 08:57 AM

Barbarosa,

You'll have a great time. Your schedule isn't unreasonable. We've found with a larger group you have to try and keep the gas stops from extending into 1 hour BS sessions to keep the miles up. We did the same route with 4 bikes and made La Paz the second day. I came back solo in 3 days from Todos Santos. It's some of the best bike touring you can do, but you know that!!!

Ken

no dog was harmed in the taking of this photo:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-29-2011 by tripledigitken]

Barbarosa - 1-29-2011 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Barbarosa,

You'll have a great time. Your schedule isn't unreasonable. We've found with a larger group you have to try and keep the gas stops from extending into 1 hour BS sessions to keep the miles up. We did the same route with 4 bikes and made La Paz the second day. I came back solo in 3 days from Todos Santos. It's some of the best bike touring you can do, but you know that!!!

Yeah, I know all about (and dread and generally avoid) group rides. Even 5-6 bikes is too big a crowd for me, except this time with a bunch of very good buds who are all wildly excited about seeing the place for the first time.

Fortunately this is a hand-picked crowd of some of my best friends and riding buds. We know each other well and esp, ride together well.

Regarding your 2 and 3 day runs, fortunately I don't think I'll ever *have* to do that. Really wouldn't want to. One time I headed down there with 2 buds who felt time constrained and opted for Cabo in 3 days (and then they were staying there a few days). My response: "See you down there." I took 4 or 5. Then we all had a more leisurely trip on the way north.

tripledigitken - 1-29-2011 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Barbarosa,

Yeah, I know all about (and dread and generally avoid) group rides. Even 5-6 bikes is too big a crowd for me, except this time with a bunch of very good buds who are all wildly excited about seeing the place for the first time.

Fortunately this is a hand-picked crowd of some of my best friends and riding buds. We know each other well and esp, ride together well.

Regarding your 2 and 3 day runs, fortunately I don't think I'll ever *have* to do that. Really wouldn't want to. One time I headed down there with 2 buds who felt time constrained and opted for Cabo in 3 days (and then they were staying there a few days). My response: "See you down there." I took 4 or 5. Then we all had a more leisurely trip on the way north.

We are a group of Long Distance Touring types. Not everyone's cup of tea. We didn't have to either but wanted to!

Barbarosa - 1-29-2011 at 10:32 PM

Quote:

We are a group of Long Distance Touring types. Not everyone's cup of tea. We didn't have to either but wanted to!

I'm wit'cha. I put in a hellofa lot of miles, m'self. I just can't bring m'self to do that kind of pace down in Baja. Don't have to and most definitely don't want to! (And especially with a bunch of Baja newbies.)

(I've done home to Cabo to Key West to home twice. This current run could easily turn into the third time before I'm done. Or would this be the fourth? And no, the rest of such a trip is *not* at 160 mi/day. <g>)

160 per day

mcfez - 1-30-2011 at 06:45 AM

Being an bike rider myself of 48 years (since I was 9 yr) pounding the road with every known bike make :-)

I say first of all 160 miles a day is a reasonable amount of ride. I know the roads of Baja (not by bike) so I can say that. You'll get more tired of a ride inside an rush hour jammed up city than the open road.

The chase truck. We used to have a one every time when riding the Redwood Run or Sturgis Run.....but we had 20-25 guys in our pack. For the 6 of you...I dont see the need. There is plenty of quick help in Baja especially since you are on the main road and not off in some deserted dirt valley.

Thirdly to say.....have a blast!

Barbarosa - 1-30-2011 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
I say first of all 160 miles a day is a reasonable amount of ride. I know the roads of Baja (not by bike) so I can say that. You'll get more tired of a ride inside an rush hour jammed up city than the open road.

The chase truck. We used to have a one every time when riding the Redwood Run or Sturgis Run.....but we had 20-25 guys in our pack. For the 6 of you...I dont see the need. There is plenty of quick help in Baja especially since you are on the main road and not off in some deserted dirt valley.

Thirdly to say.....have a blast!

1) Done The Peninsula several times. Most days are nice and easy. Since the trip is slightly compressed (time constraints by a few of the folks) we have just a couple of longer ones. (I don't like to linger in Ciudad Constitution anywho. <g>) It's not that any of this will be difficult riding, it's just a shame to hurry thru it. As I say, esp the first time (for all of these folks).

2) I *never* use a chase truck on any tour in the US or Canada, but then a chase truck on a solo ride would be a bit silly. There's actually 16 of us (8 couples on 9 bikes). It takes time to resolve problems down there, and there's no parts or service. And due to the nature of *this* trip, we have reservations throughout (guaranteed and in most cases prepaid and non refundable). Wouldn't be pretty to get slowed down a day. (Besides, if we have it, we won't need it! <g>)

3) Nary a doubt. Thanks.

Sounds fun Barbarosa!

fixtrauma - 1-30-2011 at 08:32 AM

I got up this morning (Sunday) and checked Bajanomad as usual. I read about your trip down the Baja. Then I looked out the window and saw that 4 bikers had pulled in last night and had pitched tents. Two from Illinois and two from B.C. Canada.

If you have no place to stay in La Paz, you are welcome here. Campestre Maranatha at Km-11 just before La Paz.

May see you all. Safe trip.

[Edited on 1-30-2011 by fixtrauma]