BajaNomad

The "myth" of the illegal use of nets by non-Mexicans?

Hook - 1-31-2011 at 10:50 AM

For as long as I can remember, people have always told me that it is illegal for non-Mexicans to use a throw net to capture bait.

Where did this "myth" come from?

Or is it defined somewhere other than in the Mexican sportfishing regulations listed on the Conapesca site?

[Edited on 1-31-2011 by Hook]

jaygarcia - 1-31-2011 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
For as long as I can remember, people have always told me that it is illegal for non-Mexicans to use a throw net to capture bait.

Where did this "myth" come from?

Or is it defined somewhere other than in the Mexican sportfishing regulations listed on the Conapesca site?

Link to Conapesca

El pescador deportivo debe respetar las disposiciones federales en cuanto a tallas mínimas, vedas y sólo podrá utilizar caña o línea con anzuelo, con carnada o señuelo.

Sport fishermen must abide by Federal dispositions regarding minimum sizes, fishing bans and may only use fishing poles, reels, lines with hooks and with or without bait or lures.

Hook - 1-31-2011 at 02:59 PM

Well, that would seem to imply that it affects fishing for the sport fish that they outline.

Or, if it covers all fish, then it is also illegal for Mexican nationals to use nets as well.

Or, it depends on what website you choose. Yours is simply a fishing club that has posted ITS interpretation of the rules. Mine is the official website of the Mexican government.

In the synopsis you placed in your post above, it doesn't mention spear fishing and clearly that is allowed.

Several Mexican skippers over here in Sonora are telling me that there is no preclusion against a gringo throwing a net.

bajacalifornian - 1-31-2011 at 05:37 PM

Has to do with licensing. Here in Loreto, only one cooperativo exists for the legal capture & sale of bait (mackerel, sardines and others by species). Largely members of one or two family names, the president of the organized group is responsible for paying fees, trips to La Paz for same and other hoops they must jump through. They politely seethe when Mexicans or Americans throw their nets in Los Carnaderos' territory.

jaygarcia - 2-1-2011 at 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Well, that would seem to imply that it affects fishing for the sport fish that they outline.

They don''t outline "sport" fish, nor do the regs define "sport" fish. They do define daily limits and species limits. Sportfishing means fishing for non-commercial purposes. You are not allowed to sell your catch. You are not allowed to filet your catch on the boat, you must bring the fish ashore whole.

Quote:
Or, if it covers all fish, then it is also illegal for Mexican nationals to use nets as well.

There is more than one type of fishing license. Ever heard of a commercial fishing license?

Quote:
Or, it depends on what website you choose. Yours is simply a fishing club that has posted ITS interpretation of the rules. Mine is the official website of the Mexican government.

Wrong. The website is the Conapesca website. The government agency in charge of fishing. You can tell because the URL ends in gob.mx. You are looking at the sportfishing webpage of Conapesca.

Quote:
In the synopsis you placed in your post above, it doesn't mention spear fishing and clearly that is allowed.

Yes, it doesn't mention spearfishing. It is in another section of the regulations and it is allowed. But spears are not nets. It also doesn't mention tossing dynamite into the water to kill the fish, that is also banned in another section of the regulations.

Quote:
Several Mexican skippers over here in Sonora are telling me that there is no preclusion against a gringo throwing a net.

Did they also tell you they will respect you in the morning?

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by jaygarcia]

TonyC - 2-1-2011 at 08:52 AM

yes or no...what is the answer?

fishabductor - 2-1-2011 at 09:31 AM

I throw a net and have done so many times in the presence of Mexican commercial fisherman, they don't have a care in the world. However they do get a good laugh out of my throwing abilities. It takes me a dozen or 2 throws to get what they get in one.

I was just throwing the net yesterday...matter of fact.

TonyC - 2-1-2011 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
I throw a net and have done so many times in the presence of Mexican commercial fisherman, they don't have a care in the world. However they do get a good laugh out of my throwing abilities. It takes me a dozen or 2 throws to get what they get in one.

I was just throwing the net yesterday...matter of fact.

I need all kinds work on my technique...it sucks. may try this year at san quintin.

fishabductor - 2-1-2011 at 10:34 AM

Watch youtube...there are about 4 billion videos on how to throw a net. It helped me a lot. I'd watcha video, go try the technique and if it didn't work for me, I'd try another. I got it down now...but I just moved into a 10' radius net from an 8' and that is a big increase, and I am having problems on the spread. It is still only opening about 80%, but it is catching bait.

BajaBruno - 2-1-2011 at 01:36 PM

The official sportfishing rules are published at www.oeidrus-jalisco.gob.mx/jalisco/docs/serv/norm/NOM-017-PE...

Section 4.6.1 reads that nets cannot be used to catch anything, even bait! But, can be used to bring caught fish aboard.

But then, § 4.6.6 also says that you may not throw live bait into the water to attract (chum) fish! (except when authorized during a tournament),

so, obviously, what is prohibited is frequently contrary to custom and practice. You use your best judgment and take your chances.

Pescador - 2-2-2011 at 07:59 AM

As with all things Mexican, there is lots of "he said, she said" which is exactly what Hook is reporting. I went to the local Conapesca office and asked the director exactly and got a general reply but would only trust that for my area around Santa Rosalia. He indicated that it was acceptable to use a throw net "tiara" for bait and that was treated differently than "chinchoro" which was a fish catching net. But that holds not water in the San Carlos area, so I think that you should go to Conapesca office in Guaymas and ask them directly.

fishabductor - 2-2-2011 at 10:24 AM

I go with .....

When in Rome...

Spearo - 2-3-2011 at 06:03 PM

I once cast netted liso for a bunch of Mexican marines that were off duty and wanted to go fishing (in their patrol boat). I wouldn't sweat a cast net for bait just like I don't sweat a couple of clams now and then.

Sabikis work great also