BajaNomad

Fishing report, Los Cabos

BajaJeeper - 1-31-2011 at 04:44 PM

It has been some time since I have posted, so I will start with some comments and then post a few questions that I would appreciate some help with. (I know I have not posted lately since I just lost this post in the review process and am starting over!)

I fished out of CSL yesterday on a 26 foot private boat. We got an early start, bought bait and we heading west in the dark (and dodging whales). First went to some rock/coral piles the owner had marked in the Migrino beach area. Got zilch (except for a snagged 8 foot octopus). Then chased porpoise schools around looking for tuna but only got 2 skipjacks, nothing to keep. Then trolled south for a couple of hours and headed for the barn to watch golf. No one at the marina seemed to do any better.

Today I stopped at La Playita about 2 to get some cevichi that guy sells from the back of his truck (yum!). It did not look like a lot of boats had gone out. Gaviotta brought in a very nice 90 lb tuna, a smaller tuna, some sierra and (for some reason) a 150 lb. striper. Saw some other small fish from other boats.

Does not seem to be a lot happening down here right now.

David K - 1-31-2011 at 04:54 PM

Thanks and welcome back...

Now, how about telling us more about where you have taken your Jeep off road in Baja... Ken Cooke will love the Jeep fellowship! See the Baja Nomad Off Roading forum...

Alan - 1-31-2011 at 07:22 PM

Welcome to the board. Lots of avid anglers and offroaders here. For some of the"what is biting, when" info you requested there is www.mexfish.com This used to be updated weekly for the majority of the peninsula and was a wealth of information. Sorry to say it is no longer kept current but thankfully they have continued to keep their archive reports available for several previous years so you can determine some of the trends of for what specie is in the area at almost anytime of year.