BajaNomad

Fishing Mangroves Puerto Adolfo Lopez Mateos

BajaJeeper - 1-31-2011 at 05:01 PM

I bought a (very) small tin boat down last year (14 foot with 6hp) to keep at my home in San Jose del Cabo. My brother in law and I camped at the north end of Mag bay (north of Las Animas) and fished the channels with spin and fly. Lot of fun (but no really big fish as we expected. A few nice snook and corvina, lots of broomtails). And camping was maybe a little too primitive (plenty of beer and bourbon, but we did not bring enough water to stay clean). Anyway, I have never been to Puerto Adolfo Lopez and would like to hear from someone who has. Would it be feasible to stay there at a hotel and then launch and fish each day? Going north can we get access to mangrove channels without going across water with more than an 12 inch chop? Is the fishing any good there? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

L Mateos

tehag - 1-31-2011 at 05:16 PM

Yes.

captkw - 1-31-2011 at 05:17 PM

I camped at boca soledad,I think the 2nd opening to the pacific many year's ago and the fishing was great,,dont try and go over the bar,out to the ocean....any way if you camp out on the sand island's ,,,be avised that the coyote's get their drinking water from the dew on the leaves,,and they will smell your's,,I was 18or19 and did not sleep at night for a week,kept the fire going and in the morn track's all around my camp,,I still at laugh at myself for that one, also if you drag very near the bottem, you might find a flattie,,,and I think that every single time that Ive been in that area,,morning fog and I mean thick as sh-t,,,TIGHT LINE'S and yes for accomadation,s lopez matoas

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by captkw]

bill erhardt - 1-31-2011 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaJeeper
Would it be feasible to stay there at a hotel and then launch and fish each day? Going north can we get access to mangrove channels without going across water with more than an 12 inch chop? Is the fishing any good there? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Get in touch with Bajacalifornian on this board who splits his time between Loreto and Lopez Mateos and loves plying the estero fishing with shrimp for bait on handlines and light tackle, and book Ruben Duran as a guide on the first trip, or two.
Here's a picture of Ruben with a 35 pound snook he caught last year in the mangroves......

BN robalo.jpg - 45kB

bajacalifornian - 1-31-2011 at 06:09 PM

. . . & another.

cabo3100 - 1-31-2011 at 06:14 PM

SHHHHHH There is no fish in Lopez

bajacalifornian - 1-31-2011 at 06:17 PM

yet another.

bajacalifornian - 1-31-2011 at 06:18 PM

Correct. There are no fish in Lopez.

Curt63 - 6-18-2011 at 07:01 AM

Bump for motel suggestions in Lopez Mateos. Thanks

dtutko1 - 6-18-2011 at 07:22 AM

In Lopez Mateos We rented a 2 bedroom house (with all the appliances needed) for approx $100/nite. U2U Jeff Petterson (bajacalifornian) for details about tides and guides. Great experience!