BajaNomad

VGABNDO is home, Part Two we win the lottery.

vgabndo - 1-31-2011 at 05:06 PM

We set out from Mt. Shasta in four wheel drive on Dec. 28, and battled a headwind that wouldn't let the Cummins pull top gear through the Sac valley. Met Nomad Woody with a View for a very pleasant overnight parked at his curb. He and his sweet wife made us feel at home. My mission then was to deliver a bet of rare custom made beer to Shari in Bahia Asuncion to satisfy a soccer wager. We arrived New Years Eve in B.A. and that sleep-in do-nothing bunch of Canadians down there didn't even have a party going on.:lol:

Believe me, we had all the fun we had the energy to have.
That is a nicely integrated community and we found it among the friendliest of all we visited.

We made our first fisit for about 8-9 days, but it was during the time that the water pump was out in Viscaino, and no one on the end of the penensula had piped water for about a week. We ran for GN resupplied, did laundry and prepared for phase two.

Here are some images and thoughts.

I wish I had a better image, but IFLYFISH moves so fast it is hard to focus. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to a man among men. What an amazing story. On his previous visit to Bahia Asuncion he was getting around in an electric wheelchair. This year as he stood with me as I surf fished, a flat bed truck pulled up and backed to the waterline. CHRISTO VIVE was finger painted across the hood. Momentarily, after getting his line in the water, our Mexican friend had Creadence Clearwater blasting on the stereo.
There should have been a picture of Rick dancin' his butt off while I played air guitar on my fishin' rod. Priceless.

This will be a lifelong friendship.

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by vgabndo]

[Edited on 2-7-2011 by vgabndo]

Baja 2011 second download 003.jpg - 23kB

sanquintinsince73 - 1-31-2011 at 05:25 PM

Good for you two. How about some more pics??

I claim first tracks.

vgabndo - 1-31-2011 at 05:40 PM

On this deserted "secret" beach in central Baja I was told that no one had ever sailed there. I had a nice steady off-shore for a couple of hours of fun.

I had unloaded three other times only to find that the surfaces and or wind conditions just didn't cut it. I did, however, generate a story or two when I passed locals while sailing dead down wind along one of the elevated mud sections of the road from San Ignacio Lagoon.

[Edited on 2-5-2011 by vgabndo]

Baja 2011 second download 209 01.jpg - 23kB

shari - 1-31-2011 at 08:50 PM

Glad to hear you made it home OK but we sure miss you and Kathy here...sniff sniff...its been pretty darn quiet around here lately with all you snow birds heading back north. It was such a pleasure to reconnect with you and witness the meeting of the minds with you and Iflydude....we look forward to your return brother.

vgabndo - 1-31-2011 at 09:30 PM

Thanks Sis, your welcome was wonderful, and its a real nice bunch of folks hangin with you. Hey I posted a question for you on Restraunt Reviews. Maybe you can share the post with them.

The peaceful cove at San Roque

vgabndo - 1-31-2011 at 09:57 PM

We spent a number of nights on the little slab in front of Juan Arce's grandparents place in front of the church. We also had a Disca Party there with the whole community driving the twelve miles up from BA to San Roque.

There was a lot of good food highlighted by Juan's cooking up a load of pulpo on his propane disca.

I looked everywhere I went to try to buy one and was about resigned to having to build one when I found two at the flea market in Maneadero Saturday. I got one with an ag disc that weighs in at about thirty pounds. Picture to follow.

Baja 2011 second download 17200.jpg - 21kB

nbacc - 2-1-2011 at 07:08 AM

Nice trip. BUT, I gotta say that Mt. Shasta looked magnificent yesterday and is going to look the same or better today. If you can't be in Baja at least the view is REALLY good. Nancy from Redding

motoged - 2-1-2011 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
..... that sleep-in do-nothing bunch of Canadians down there didn't even have a party going on.:lol:

Yeah, what a bunch of hosers, eh?

I hope to sneak up to BA for an overnight on my moto trip last half of February....to try some of those shrimp tacos, say hola to Juan and Sheri....and try and liven up those hosers...:biggrin::cool:

vgabndo - 2-1-2011 at 05:00 PM

Nancy, you are sooooo right. The mountain is lit up in all her glory.

Lonely as God and white as a winter's moon." J. Muir

Lot 11 Hinkley 039 (Small).jpg - 46kB

woody with a view - 2-1-2011 at 05:09 PM

glad you two survived the BA clan. they sure make it tough to leave! great meeting you guys!

all our best!

vgabndo - 2-1-2011 at 05:16 PM

We spent two nights at the place you recommended. We had a wonderful time, and we found you well respected there. Can you believe that "The Mobile Groove Bomb" made it to where it is parked??? I gladly used my 4x4!

I understand that the sound system in that thing will strip paint.

Baja 2011 second download 253xx.jpg - 35kB

vgabndo - 2-1-2011 at 05:29 PM

Here's my new "DISCA". The authentic Baja fish taco machine. Works over propane or lena.

Disca.jpg - 39kB

Iflyfish - 2-4-2011 at 06:24 PM

How cool is that!! Great trip amigo! What fun! Will catch up with you again!
So glad we had a chance to meet and spend some time.

Iflyfish

It's so groovy man, freakadelic bus!

mcfez - 2-6-2011 at 06:48 AM

Quote:
We spent two nights at the place you recommended. We had a wonderful time, and we found you well respected there. Can you believe that "The Mobile Groove Bomb" made it to where it is parked??? I gladly used my 4x4!

I understand that the sound system in that thing will strip paint.

For further info on this picture.....
http://groovebomb.org/

shari - 2-6-2011 at 06:55 AM

Wonder if we can book the Groove bomb for my birthday extravaganza next month? now THAT would be a party!

David K - 2-6-2011 at 09:52 AM

Shasta looks like a sleeping giant... beautiful photo... I hope she never wakes up (like Mt. St. Helens)!

baitcast - 2-6-2011 at 11:09 AM

It looks wild and woolly up on those slopes and very cold,windy and impressive,great shot.
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 2-6-2011 at 12:02 PM

I used to ride a bus like that to school every day.

"Watch your step, son"

<yaka yaka yaka> I'd watch my dimes rolling around in that machine.

Well folks there is more to the story. Here's part 2

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:20 PM

For the middle third of our travels, Mrs VGABNDO wanted to go whate watching. My mind went to a dozen gringos in orange life jackets in a panga with someone yelling I thought I saw a whale spout. Fortunately, she was right and I was wrong. We took an off season half day with Antonio's Eco Tours at Camp 3, Daniel, Antonio's son, was our driver and we had a guide who was a visiting German whale watcher from the Canary Islands. She didn't know Grays, but had huge experience and said it was the best day of her life. Daniel says in eleven years he's only had this happen three times.

She came up out of the depths directly along side of the boat, watching us as she came up sideways. She'd come to be touched, and when she was, she'd lie on her side with her eye closed and just soak it up.

Baja 2011 second download 082000 (Small).jpg - 28kB

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:22 PM

Mrs. VGABNDO, Cathy Valentine, got her wish...and more.

[Edited on 2-6-2011 by vgabndo]

Baja 2011 second download 12700 (Small).jpg - 35kB

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:26 PM

Add VGABNDO to the list of folks who have had their lives changed by a huge marine mammal who came to them for attention.

whales and stuff, fatima 007oo (Small).jpg - 49kB

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:28 PM

Here's lookin down your blowhole baby!

Baja 2011 second download 10200 (Small).jpg - 48kB

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:30 PM

Here's a pretty picture.

Baja 2011 second download 09600 (Small).jpg - 38kB

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 01:33 PM

She loved to have the inside of her lips rubbed.

This went on for an hour and ten minutes.

whales and stuff, fatima 014 (Small)xx.jpg - 37kB

woody with a view - 2-6-2011 at 02:00 PM

glad to have another member of the club.....

that baleen foto is insane. FOTO OF THE DAY!

what did the baleen feel like?:?:

Mexitron - 2-6-2011 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
For the middle third of our travels, Mrs VGABNDO wanted to go whate watching. My mind went to a dozen gringos in orange life jackets in a panga with someone yelling I thought I saw a whale spout. Fortunately, she was right and I was wrong. We took an off season half day with Antonio's Eco Tours at Camp 3, Daniel, Antonio's son, was our driver and we had a "guide" who was a visiting German whale watcher from the Canary Islands. Daniel says in eleven years he's only had this happen three times.

She came up out of the depths directly along side of the boat, watching us as she came up sideways. She'd come to be touched, and when she was, she'd lie on her side with her eye closed and just soak it up.

[Edited on 2-6-2011 by vgabndo]

Nothing like whale's eyes...what a lot of nice pictures!

vgabndo - 2-6-2011 at 08:47 PM

Woody, one of her playful tricks was to submerge just enough to fill the space above the baleen and slam her mouth shut, drenching anyone hanging over the rail. Having seen that mouth close, the pictures show exactly how far I risked my fingers. Daniel, said that far more dangerous was to put anything into her blowhole. It has to hold out water at insane pressures, and literally snaps shut with a noise.

Like most Grays, this one was "right-handed", her left side was clearly the most barnacled.

Baja 2011 second download 07600 (Small).jpg - 47kB

shari - 2-6-2011 at 09:36 PM

wow and double wow...best blowhole and baleen shot i've seen...way to go kids and Cathy & you deserved that cosmic visit...sure blows some circuits huh! outstanding amigos!

mcfez - 2-6-2011 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
She loved to have the inside of her lips rubbed.

WOW. WoW wOw!
Fantastic day you had!

BajaNomad - 2-6-2011 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Outstanding.

surfdoc - 2-7-2011 at 12:06 AM

Damn............Sooo Glad you saved the pictures, I knew you were worried..

They are Awsome!!! Miss ya bro... come back soon Ok!

Hook - 2-7-2011 at 01:30 AM

Most incredible sequence of wildlife shots I've ever seen on Nomads............simply stunning!!!!

Natalie Ann - 2-7-2011 at 10:21 AM

Way cool whale experience! Lucky you two!

nena

Iflyfish - 2-7-2011 at 10:39 AM

Incredible! Amazing! Those are the best photos of whales I have ever seen! That whale no doubt read your vibes my friend! What a remarkable experience!

Iflyfishinawe

vgabndo - 2-7-2011 at 05:41 PM

Rick, brother I was vibin' her for sure. But it was a boat full of the same emotion. Our "guide", who was in an altered state was left hanging over the rail saying "baby, baby, baby, baby, on and on in English and German!

Baja 2011 second download 07700 (Small).jpg - 47kB

vgabndo - 2-7-2011 at 06:01 PM

The same chapped skin seen around the blowhole was found on her lips. Here are two examples with the close-up in the next post.

Gray Whale skin001 (Small).jpg - 33kB

vgabndo - 2-7-2011 at 06:06 PM

The surface has disappeared from the left side, it is still visible in the right sample. Are these huge cells that can be seen with the naked eye?

Other shots I have show each "cell" with an indentation in the skin within it, and a projecting bump in the exact center.

Gray Whale skin00200 (Medium).jpg - 44kB

vgabndo - 2-7-2011 at 06:28 PM

Here's why it pays to be careful on sandy beaches. This was the smaller of two tools on the business end of a saucer-sized ray at La Bocana.

The exposed part is about 9/16"

[Edited on 2-8-2011 by vgabndo]

Sting Ray tool 004000.jpg - 23kB