BajaNomad

I'm such a loser

Howard - 2-9-2011 at 06:18 PM

Fishing report from Loreto.

We left the Loreto marina at 6:15 A.M. this morning, went to the "bait hole", got around 20 big eyes and were off to the races. The problem is I didn't know we were mudders. Went to just the North side of Carmen, nothing. Went around Punto Lobo and fished the various spots on the East side of the Island, nothing. We fished the South side of Carmen, nothing. We gave up and trolled the West side of Carmen for Roosters, nothing.

3 fisherman, 7 hours, not a bite. Were such losers.

Weather turned out to be slightly windy, in the 70s, water temp around 61.

But as the saying goes, "a bad day of fishing beats a good day of work."

To all of you freezing your butts off, I am not complaining, just a report from 3 losers.

I shall not mention the names of the other 2 fisherman as I do not want to smear their reputation, but you know who you are.

wakemall - 2-9-2011 at 06:45 PM

It was exactly like that three weeks ago. One day would be wide open and the next two would produce nothing. A Panga Captain friend said the water was turning over quite a bite producing large temperature changes. Who knows? Give it a month and I bet the YT bite turns on hard.

Russ - 2-9-2011 at 06:50 PM

Should have been there yesterday:lol:
I know it's not funny when you got the bait and put in the time and zippo.
Oh how I know the feeling! I'm a practicing member of the club too.

wakemall - 2-9-2011 at 07:04 PM

It is not losers.... It is hard core fisherman.

woody with a view - 2-9-2011 at 08:27 PM

if it was wide open every day it would lose its appeal. kinda like the one that gets away is why you keep going out after a day like the one you had.....:light:

wakemall - 2-9-2011 at 08:45 PM

Good point Woody

mulegemichael - 2-9-2011 at 08:59 PM

pretty much the same story in mulege...kinda skimpy right now...the water will start warming soon....make that your mantra.

Sallysouth - 2-9-2011 at 11:27 PM

I would trade out your day of "skunk" for anything!

Russ - 2-10-2011 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
pretty much the same story in mulege...kinda skimpy right now...the water will start warming soon....make that your mantra.

OK, --- "soon" -- is that like maņana or the end of May?

bajabass - 2-10-2011 at 05:53 AM

Tuesday of last week the water between Cerralvo and Muertos/Suenos was 68.5 degrees. This Tuesday it was 64-65 degrees. I'm thinking a week of wind is to blame. I need to go to California for about 10 days soon. Now is a good time. I sure hope the water warms up before I get back.

Cypress - 2-10-2011 at 07:14 AM

Howard, Check out the online report by Sea Watch regarding the Sea of Cortez. They interviewed numerous sports and commercial fishermen. All agree, their catches have dropped at an alarming rate.

Baja12valve - 2-10-2011 at 05:43 PM

Your story could be for any recreation that is dependent on weather and Mother Nature. Can't tell you how many times I have gone surfing, finding it really bad, only to hear "You really missed it, should have been here yesterday" Same with skiing, been up to Mammoth only to find ice and crud, next week, 24" of new powder is deposited. Win a few, lose a few. Then again, those days where the stars, moon, and sun all line up and you catch it perfect...... makes it all worth it.

captkw - 2-11-2011 at 10:05 AM

hate to say it,,BUT IT'S OVER,,fished out!!

dtbushpilot - 2-11-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
hate to say it,,BUT IT'S OVER,,fished out!!

Yep, we might as well all go home....

Cypress - 2-11-2011 at 02:02 PM

dtbushpilot, Agree! I caught more lbs. of fish on one trotline in one night than in 4 months of fishing the Sea of Cortez. And you're right I caught 'em down home on the bayou. Catfish fried to a golden brown with some hush puppies on the side, a little slaw........:yes:

Howard - 2-11-2011 at 07:19 PM

My post wasn't meant as an SOC fishing obituary, just a current report. As soon the water warms up in it's own cyclical way, I believe that fishing will return to a dazzling level. No, I don't believe it will return to like "the good ole days", but it will return with mucho fish to be caught.

baitcast - 2-12-2011 at 07:17 AM

Howard pay no attention to Cypress he,s "Mr Negative"on the site guess he never caught much but trigger-fish:no:
Otherwise a good guy.
Rob

Cypress - 2-12-2011 at 07:49 AM

baitcast, Did you read the Sea Watch report? About those triggerfish, they were small. My fishing was done from a kayak, inshore. In all that water there are fish to be caught. Guess my expectations were too high. I appreciate the inshore and offshore fishing in the Gulf of Mexico much more now. :D

Russ - 2-12-2011 at 08:16 AM

Well there must be something left. These guys have netted non-stop for over a month. I haven't been able to figure out what they're hauling in in this area only a few rocks, shallow & I've drug a bait on a C-rig and only come up with lizard fish.

Here's my best catch this year

Bob H - 2-12-2011 at 08:25 AM

You can still catch fish on Craigslist! :lol:

Russ - 2-12-2011 at 08:33 AM

The Peso lure never fails around fish camps. Sure fire best lure out there!

Cypress - 2-12-2011 at 09:03 AM

Yea, that "silver" hook will snag 'em every time. :D