BajaNomad

Cabo and back Feb 4 - 14

Barbarosa - 2-25-2011 at 04:47 PM

Some have asked for a trip report which is not forthcoming right now. I already posted this in a place some might not see. So...

I got back a few days ago and have had a poopload of stuff to attend to. <g>

It's likely I won't do it justice for a few more weeks (since I may be heading out for a ride to Daytona Beach (BikeWeek).

Here's a few goodies:

The Baja newbies (all 7 couples not counting m' wife and I) had a most wonderful time, and came to realize that all that media hype is just that: Hype. And what a shame! Baja tourism is dead. DEAD. And for those here who say: who cares? They should. An entire very important industry is withering.

The roads are great. I can't believe all the arroyos (well, the vados) that are GONE. And those that will soon be gone.

Our accommodations were terrific. (I kinda upgraded in some cases above our usual, but many were our usual haunts.) Jardines in San Quintin was absolutely wonderful, but the hotel and the restaurant. (Except the hotel is cold and the heaters don't keep up, probably partly due to low occupancy so the building remains cold.) Much more to say about accommodations later.

We had pretty much all (well, almost all) really outstanding dinners. (Well, of course Desert Inn (or whatever it's now called in Catavina and in San Ignacio) were just, uh, meals.)

Excellent weather throughout. One and all had a terrific time.

No untoward incidents of any kind. Not even a hint. And no mechanical problems. (YEA!!!!) Didn't need the chase truck (except then we would have needed it <g>).

Oh wait, we had 2 mechanical failures: In the first or second day, 2 of the guys hit big speed bumps too fast (meaning at over 2 mph). The kickstand spring (holding it up out of the way -- Very important) got hammered between said bump and the bike frame and broke. 1000 miles or so later, we were able to get replacements at the Harley place in Cabo. No biggie.

I expect most if not all will return. Yippee! Next time they can lead their own groups and I can ride solo. <g>

So much to write about, but that's what trip reports are for, and this isn't that.

Just one more thing just now:

I didn't have many rules for the trip, pretty much 2:

We'll *all* stay together when running down the highway; no stragglers. And we won't ride at night.

I made a critical error the first day, we ended up with too long a lunch (waayyyy too enjoyable), ended up riding after dark for an hour to reach our destination, and got separated. Broke both rules the first day.

No harm, no foul. And the rest of the trip we did better! (They made me promise no more night riding, which of course I knew going in.)

Barbarosa - 2-25-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa
Jardines in San Quintin was absolutely wonderful, but the hotel and the restaurant.

Check that.

"Jardines in San Quintin was absolutely wonderful, BOTH the hotel and the restaurant."

What a stupid typo!