BajaNomad

Before I go back to El Nido

mcfez - 3-15-2011 at 09:20 PM

Anyone here been to the San Felipe El Nido in the last few weeks? I want to make sure they haven't screwed up the food.

So many places in Sacramento has skimped to the point of "it's crapola".

CDB - 3-16-2011 at 08:08 AM

Still the same. The gal at the register still laughs at me when I pull the little flashlight out of my pocket to read the menu. Food hadn't changed as of two weeks ago.

mcfez - 3-16-2011 at 09:10 AM

Thanks CDB

I love that place, They always smirk in a funny way when I ask for ketchup :)

akshadow - 3-16-2011 at 09:27 AM

The same door greeter has been there for decades.

Nice to see his smiling face when we go there.

mcfez - 3-16-2011 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
The same door greeter has been there for decades.

Nice to see his smiling face when we go there.

Okay Ron....

Tell me this :?:

How "does" that door greeter know when to open that door? It's a game I have played and lost every time. Ask Jeanette!

I'll sneak in to the left...the door greeter opens the door!
I'll sneak in to the right...the door greeter opens the door!
I'll come up from the rear lot close to the wall like a Ninja...the door greeter opens the door!

See you next week end after this one.

[Edited on 3-16-2011 by mcfez]

E.D.R.Rick - 3-16-2011 at 02:07 PM

where is it located?sounds like something I would like to try out next time.

mcfez - 3-16-2011 at 02:20 PM

"Restaurante El Nido.
Mar de Cortez Sur s/n. Phone: (01152) (686) 577 1028."

* Get there around 430 if you want a early bird price.

Ken Bondy - 3-16-2011 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by E.D.R.Rick
where is it located?sounds like something I would like to try out next time.

Across the street and easy walking distance from The El Cortez Hotel.

krafty - 3-16-2011 at 05:29 PM

also a sister El Nido in Rosarito

BAJACAT - 3-18-2011 at 06:44 PM

The one in Loreto was closed:mad::mad:, I have enjoy the one on Rosarito and the one in Loreto, on my way to Gonzaga I will try to eat at the SF location....
El Nido is where I was introduce to MARGARITAS CADILLAC, and then I was in love...

BajaWarrior - 3-18-2011 at 08:43 PM

We ate at El Nido just before New Years. I had the TBone and some shrimp. It was fair, the steak not that tender, not flavored in any way and the shrimp was cooked in foil with butter and garlic. They put the foil and everything on my plate alongside the steak but the shrimp juice leaked all over the place.

The soup was really good and spicy though.

However, my wife had the combination plate with chile rellano and it was very good with a very spicy chile rellano.

I think we'll just cook at home next time.

True tale.

Pompano - 3-21-2011 at 08:03 AM

Years ago I had to take the longhorns off my dune buggy..and then a CJ-5 Jeep...after my Mulege compadre, Manuel, told me the implication'.

But when you hang one on your house.. it just means you're horny.

Well...Hey, it's Baja! ...possibly si, possibly no....:rolleyes:

The Cultural Rewards of Baja Nomad

Gypsy Jan - 3-21-2011 at 02:26 PM

Thank you, Spicy_Angel for the info; I always want to know why people are finding something funny and I have no clue.

Now, if the avatar persona is wearing a Mickey Mouse hat with ears, what does that mean? :?: ;D :D

mcfez - 3-21-2011 at 05:52 PM

And when I wear my cha cha fruity hat...the message is?

[Edited on 3-22-2011 by mcfez]

deno-horned.jpg - 44kB

DonBaja - 3-21-2011 at 07:10 PM

El Nido...Save your money. Went there last week for my last time. I always get the ribeye, it is too inconsistent for what they charge. My steak was tough and 4 other guys got the ribeye and said it wasn't good either. The following night we ate at the resturaunt at El Capitan Hotel. It was the best N.Y. steak I've ever had in San Felipe and it was 12.95 instead of 18.95 at the Nido. Ask for Chevy he is a host there and made sure our meal was on point. At the NIdo for a party of 9 our tab was well over 250.00 and at El Capitan it was under a 100.00 including drinks and desert...

mcfez - 3-21-2011 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonBaja
El Nido...Save your money. Went there last week for my last time. I always get the ribeye, it is too inconsistent for what they charge. My steak was tough and 4 other guys got the ribeye and said it wasn't good either. The following night we ate at the resturaunt at El Capitan Hotel. It was the best N.Y. steak I've ever had in San Felipe and it was 12.95 instead of 18.95 at the Nido. Ask for Chevy he is a host there and made sure our meal was on point. At the NIdo for a party of 9 our tab was well over 250.00 and at El Capitan it was under a 100.00 including drinks and desert...

Really?!
Sold me on the change. Will try the El Capitan.
Think I can wear my my cha cha fruity hat there?

Mulege's El Nido Cafe - long closed.

Pompano - 3-22-2011 at 03:34 AM

1bobo - 3-22-2011 at 07:27 AM

I love that building. Was it originally built for the El Nido? Anyone know how old it is?

mcfez - 3-22-2011 at 04:54 PM

It's duplicate of the building in SF..wow.

Pompano - 3-23-2011 at 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bobo
I love that building. Was it originally built for the El Nido? Anyone know how old it is?

Yes, 1bobo, like my first post said, it was Mulege's El Nido. I like the outside architectural design, too, but the interior was too dark and somber for me. I like a little more light and cheer when eating my steak.

Some old amigos of mine worked at this El Nido when it was built and first opened around 1987-88. Among them was chef Ramon, later to become the master chef of Saturday Carnitas fame at Danny's.

It did not remain open for long..for many reasons.

R2LUJAN - 4-14-2011 at 12:51 AM

SR. ROGELIO

steak house its better dark... hahahaha
i send you a big hug amigo...

give us a call, cuando ande en el pueblo (mulege)..

Bobby Lujan.