BajaNomad

2011 NORRA 1000 Rally Race

TMW - 3-16-2011 at 08:11 AM

May 4th thru the 8th.
Start in Mexicali and finish in La Paz.
The race is over three days rally style.
Race in the dirt sections and transport on the pavement.
The pavement sections have a generous time limit.
May 5th start from Mexicali area and overnight in LA Bay.
May 6th start LA Bay and overnight in Loreto.
May 7th start in Loreto and finish in La Paz.
Basically the race is for 1991 and older vehicles, motorcycles, cars and trucks. Including sidecars. They have opened it up to newer vehicles with some restrictions. If you run alternative fuel such as E85 gas you can run what you want.

Go to http://www.norra.com to download the Rules and course maps etc. The maps shown are last years and there could be changes. Also no offical prerunning and the course is not a marked course. Course notes and GPS info will be given out before the race. There are some restrictions on pitting. Mag 7 is the offical pit service.

So far they have over 90 entries with well known names in off road racing such as Walker Evans, Larry Roeseler and Mark McMillin. The racers start based on their entry date. The motorcycles start within the cars and trucks. The second day start is based on the first days finish with the fastest vehicles starting first whether it's a bike or 4 wheeler. Same for the third day start. The total time for the three days determines the winner overall and by class.

I was there last year and will be there this year for another exciting adventure down Baja.

[Edited on 3-16-2011 by TW]

David K - 3-16-2011 at 08:27 AM

Very cool... Thanks Tom!

bajalou - 3-16-2011 at 08:44 AM

Watched it in San Felipe last year - it was great!

TMW - 3-16-2011 at 08:57 AM

LR is racing a motorcycle but hasn't said which one yet. Entry 45 Kerry Riess is on a 2009 Honda CRF450 using E85 gas. I'm told that using E85 would require 30-40% more fuel. NORRA is arranging for Sunoco race gas and for the alternative fuels because of Mexicos limitation on importing such. If you run Pemex your OK.

capt. mike - 3-16-2011 at 02:56 PM

just saw that BBP/BPI are providing 5 fixed wing and one heli to NORRA for race support like they did last year.
big fun.

BajaGeoff - 3-16-2011 at 04:44 PM

I pitted with Mag 7 last year and it was a blast. We were all the way down in San Juanico - Pit 2 - Day2. We were refueling cars like crazy. They are expecting the number of racers to double this year considering 2010 went so well.

I sure would love to go up in the air to film some of the action! Can you pull some strings for me Capt. Mike?

geomike - 3-17-2011 at 07:37 AM

Yep its hard to describe how much fun the Mexican 1000 is! Still can't believe all of the good people we met.

Kerry is a good friend and chased with us last year trying to kick drag, coerce and cajole entry #44 down the peninsula.

The Black Pearl will be back this year (good Lord willing and the creek don't rise!) To see if we can make it past day 1!

well ...

capt. mike - 3-17-2011 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I pitted with Mag 7 last year and it was a blast. We were all the way down in San Juanico - Pit 2 - Day2. We were refueling cars like crazy. They are expecting the number of racers to double this year considering 2010 went so well.

I sure would love to go up in the air to film some of the action! Can you pull some strings for me Capt. Mike?

some of the BBP flyers actually had film crews assigned to their planes last year but all seats were contracted for via NORRA who was paying the freight. so - there were no extras available.

and because fuel is so problematic and tight they won't have extra for 3rd party legs.

i am not going due to project conflicts or i'd finger sumthin out.
next time maybe.

BajaGeoff - 3-21-2011 at 09:51 AM

Cool.

I will be taking a pit in Laguna Salada on the first day. I can't wait to see some of those classic cars come roaring through the lake bed!

Norra

John M - 3-21-2011 at 03:30 PM

I believe we'll try to make this one!

John & Barb M.

TMW - 3-22-2011 at 09:16 AM

John maybe we will hookup somewhere down there. I did a pit last year south of San Ignacio for several motorcycles and may do one this year too. I will be helping a New Zealand racer in a buggy however I can. The hotels in Mexicali and LA Bay fill quick with all the racers, chasers, pit crews and family.

Meetin' up

John M - 3-22-2011 at 11:06 AM

TW, whether we go or not depends on getting my wife's passport renewed in time.

When we saw your first post we checked her passport and it had expired in Jan. So the renewal paperwork is now in the mail. They said 4 to 6 weeks so we should be in good shape.

John M

Desertbull - 3-30-2011 at 04:29 PM

Capt Mike isn't going because he's going on the 2011 Rip to the Tip....he just doesn't know it yet...I was at the Serinidad on Saturday and I saw. Barstool with your name on it....WTF, time to expel the shell and live life again! Email me for the Rip itinerary.

TMW - 3-30-2011 at 06:13 PM

What is Rip to the Tip?

2010 Rip to the Tip - Baja Peninsula

LaTijereta - 3-30-2011 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
What is Rip to the Tip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_UrT6vnkc0

It's great run...

I am in Loreto on the 6th.. Tipping a few at Augie's

fishabductor - 3-30-2011 at 08:11 PM

Rally style...as in 4wd cars on dirt roads and rather than trophy trucks and buggies in the desert?

I'd love to see a rally, there is so much carnage involved in that sport.

Ken block going to race...that is if it is a rally? that guy is incredible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

coming up next week, right?

capt. mike - 5-4-2011 at 05:42 AM

who's going and where?

BPI has several planes and El Jefe will be there in the Shrike i hear.

Also he's staying at Ken's new Chivato properties i hear and will be doing travel reports on them.

TMW - 5-4-2011 at 09:05 AM

The race starts tomorrow morning with a parade drive out of Mexicali to Laguna Salada for the start.

Baja.BBQ - 5-4-2011 at 09:31 AM

TW, sounds like you are very familiar with this event. Could you provide an estimate or guess as to when the first of the pack might arrive in San Felipe?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

TMW - 5-4-2011 at 12:00 PM

If they hold to schedule and start at Laguna Salada at 8 am the first vehicles should be to San Felipe about noon. Probably no earlier than 11:30am.

Baja.BBQ - 5-4-2011 at 12:30 PM

TW, from one Bakersfield guy to another,thanks for the info! BajaRob if you see this, we are going to watch at Cowpatty if you care to join us.
Lee

capt. mike - 5-4-2011 at 06:37 PM

hey BBQ guy - tell us more about your BBQ as i am in the KCBS as a sanctioned member and always wanting to talk BBQ and smoking.

Baja.BBQ - 5-4-2011 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
hey BBQ guy - tell us more about your BBQ as i am in the KCBS as a sanctioned member and always wanting to talk BBQ and smoking.

cpt.mike, I too live, breathe and especially eat slow smoked bbq! Please check www:blowinsmokebbq.net and restaurant reviews on this board - Pigs at my table by McFez. u2u me and we can talk "Q"
Lee

trip photos from one of the 4 pilots who

capt. mike - 5-10-2011 at 12:37 PM

flew race support.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rickkoril/NORRA2011?authkey=Gv1...

Love it

TMW - 5-10-2011 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
flew race support.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rickkoril/NORRA2011?authkey=Gv1...

You gotta love the old cars and trucks.