BajaNomad

a night in Cataviņa

tripledigitken - 3-18-2011 at 05:24 AM

Recently it was posted that the Los Pinos Group has bought the La Pinta in Catavina and will be upgrading the property. This is good news if they mirror the work they have done in San Quintin at the old La Pinta, including lowering the prices.

We stayed overnight in Catavina heading north this trip as I wanted to get some evening shots there. We usually push on through to San Quintin heading back home.

Well the prices are the same $89.00 (they gave us a 10% discount with Discover Baja). Why they haven't lowered the prices in the interim is beyond me. The central areas in the courtyards were being remodeled with some colored concrete. In fact they started pouring concrete at 6:30 a.m. So much for customer relations. I really hope they turn this property around and improve the staff as well. After staying at some hotels this trip with really gracious owners/staff, it was a stark contrast to this property. Jardines, Iquana Inn, & Hotel Hacienda were all less per night, some by over 40%!

The evening light was really good, by the way!

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by tripledigitken]

Frank - 3-18-2011 at 06:14 AM

It sure does pay to wait for golden hour. You made some great shots Ken!

Russ - 3-18-2011 at 06:41 AM

Niiiice!

BigWooo - 3-18-2011 at 07:18 AM

Great Stuff Ken!

David K - 3-18-2011 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Recently it was posted that the Los Pinos Group has bought the La Pinta in Catavina and will be upgrading the property. This is good news if they mirror the work they have done in San Quintin at the old La Pinta, including lowering the prices.

We stayed overnight in Catavina heading north this trip as I wanted to get some evening shots there. We usually push on through to San Quintin heading back home.

Well the prices are the same $89.00 (they gave us a 10% discount with Discover Baja). Why they haven't lowered the prices in the interim is beyond me. The central areas in the courtyards were being remodeled with some colored concrete. In fact they started pouring concrete at 6:30 a.m. So much for customer relations. I really hope they turn this property around and improve the staff as well. After staying at some hotels this trip with really gracious owners/staff, it was a stark contrast to this property. Jardines, Iquana Inn, & Hotel Hacienda were all less per night, some by over 40%!

The evening light was really good, by the way!

I really love this time of day for desert photos... I can almost feel the air and hear the sounds! Thanks Ken.

Pricing will probably always be higher in Cataviņa because it is 100 miles from San Quintin and 230 miles from Ensenada where supplies would come from... and they have to pay folks extra probably to live out there with not much else to do when they are not working (no theatres, restaurants, doctors, etc.).

Lauriboats - 3-18-2011 at 08:21 AM

Beautiful photos! I love that area.

Ken Bondy - 3-18-2011 at 08:28 AM

Beautiful Ken, bravo!! That is such a gorgeous, unique area and you really captured it well.

Bajahowodd - 3-18-2011 at 12:33 PM

They are magificent photos, Ken.

As to your comment about the rack rate, plus the construction-
I was wondering what the occupancy rate was the night you stayed. It was still, afterall,whale watching season, and we have experienced customers being turned away during those months, if they didn't already have a reservation.

I completely agree with your observation about the many other excellent hotels that are far more welcoming, have far better amenities, and charge less. Not so sure I would go with DK's observation, as much as the simple fact that unless you are camping, or are in an RV, this place is the only game in town.

The early morning construction reminds me of some three years ago when we stayed at the Desert Inn in San Ignacio. They were remodeling the rooms and started jack-hammering the tile floors at the crack of dawn!

tripledigitken - 3-18-2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for the kind comments on the photos!

I will guess that there were 6 other rooms occupied. Only one other party was in the restaurant for dinner while we were there.

Note about whale season.

When we got our FMT's in SY the guy said that there were many tourists this year. (thought to myself just a spin, but no...!?)

Talking to Guillermo at Jardines, he said the same thing.

Pulling into Guerrero Negro at 4pm we went to Mallarimo no vacancy, none at Las Caracoles, none at Cowboy, stayed at El Morro.

Saw more gringo tourists on the road this trip as I have seen in 4 years!

Ken

Cowboy

bajaguy - 3-18-2011 at 06:42 PM

We were at the Cowboy on the 16th, 17th and tonight, the 18th.......outstanding whale watching trip in Guerrero Negro with Shari!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, plenty of Nomads.....Shari, Standingwave, Woody, Santiago, Bajaguy, Bajablonde, Mulegenia and Bonanza Bucko

El Morro

Bajahowodd - 3-19-2011 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments on the photos!

I will guess that there were 6 other rooms occupied. Only one other party was in the restaurant for dinner while we were there.

Note about whale season.

When we got our FMT's in SY the guy said that there were many tourists this year. (thought to myself just a spin, but no...!?)

Talking to Guillermo at Jardines, he said the same thing.

Pulling into Guerrero Negro at 4pm we went to Mallarimo no vacancy, none at Las Caracoles, none at Cowboy, stayed at El Morro.

Saw more gringo tourists on the road this trip as I have seen in 4 years!

Ken

Really interested in your take on El Morro, Ken.

It's been a number of years since we stayed there, and it was really awful. Wax ring on the toilet was leaking and the entire bathroom floor was moldy. Not to mention that, at least then, outside the bathroom issues, the other three places you mentioned (Malarrimo, Caracoles, and Cowboy were so much nicer.

I was actually surprised when we stayed at El Morro just outside Santa Rosalia, and found out it was the same ownership. Don't know if you have ever stayed at El Morro Santa Rosalia, but the contrast between the two properties was night and day. Beautiful grounds. A pool. A decent restaurant. And, I have actually mentioned it before on this forum, that the location, high above the Sea of Cortez, would do a resort proud. Again, that said, I'm talking about a number of years since our stay at El Morro in GN.

So, just wondering about your thoughts on El Morro GN in 2011. Thanks.

[Edited on 3-19-2011 by Bajahowodd]

tripledigitken - 3-19-2011 at 03:16 PM

Howard,

We were glad to find a room at El Morro in GN that night. It was $400 pesos and was clean with none of the issues you mentioned. Mind you it is not as nice as the others properties in GN, but it is an option. The only complaint we had was about 11pm, we got to bed around 9pm, a grande tour bus loaded with HS students rolled in and they yelled and ran around for at least 45 minutes before all was calm. Then at 7am they were up yelling and running around for 30 minutes, meanwhile the bus wouldn't start, so they hung outside in the courtyard and made noise for another 30 minutes before the adults led them off to eat breakfast. The bus eventually started before we were off to Malarrimo for breakfast.

Not anyone's fault just another memory of Baja that you laugh about later.

I agree with your take on EM in Santa Rosalia, with one exception I'm not crazy about the restaurant. We stay there occasionally and enjoy it too. Tip...the chicken restaurant on the right side of the road just after you turn to go into SR is very good. (just across from Pepe's taco stand)

Ken

[Edited on 3-19-2011 by tripledigitken]

Bajahowodd - 3-19-2011 at 03:36 PM

Ken,

It's just my personal opinion, but the three places you mentioned, are really the top three. Problem is that especially with Caracoles and Cowboy, they have a really limited number of rooms. During most of the year, they don't fill up. But, during whale season, all bets are off. IMO, Cowboy is probably the best bet, with the exception of travelers who don't speak at least some Spanish. Don't understand why Chevalo, the owner, doesn't appear to be interested in cultivating the gringo tourist with at least a few English speaking employees. That said....

OMG!

That Chicken place in SR is a treasure. And truth be told, the El Morro resturant in SR is more like a fallback option. I've found that seasonality factors into how acceptible they are. Won't even go into one experience we had there in the summer, with their so-called salad bar. But, that was just a one time situation. And, as I mentioned, our experience at EM GN was a number of years ago. But, as you said, it would be down the list of preference.

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2011 at 04:10 PM

those pictures are just outstanding. more ???

tripledigitken - 3-19-2011 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Thanks, but those are all I have till next trip down.

Ken

redhilltown - 3-20-2011 at 11:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Thanks, but those are all I have till next trip down.

Ken

Well...then....HURRY UP and get back down there!!!!! ;D

Leo - 3-21-2011 at 03:42 PM

Great shots Ken. They make staying there overnight worthwile, however, if the hotel had better service, it would make it swell.

David K - 3-21-2011 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
... Not so sure I would go with DK's observation, as much as the simple fact that unless you are camping, or are in an RV, this place is the only game in town...

Because facts are important:
It is not the 'only game in town'...

1) Cabaņas Linda (motel) is across the highway and just north of the hotel formerly called Desert Inn. Reviews have ranged from good (DianaT and other's posts) to poor (Ken Cooke posts)

2) Rancho Santa Ynez 'bunk rooms', a mile south of hotel... actually quite nice and cozy with shower... need to arrange before Oscar and Matilda close the cantina for the night.

Bajahowodd - 3-21-2011 at 04:51 PM

Be serious, David.

Linda is totally third world, and Rancho Santa Ynez is a campground, despite the bunk rooms you mention.

Facts? Give me a break. I will gladly grant you that there are a number of Baja travelers who may find those two places acceptable. But, for the "tenderfoot" tourist, the Desert Inn, or whatever its new name is, represents to only thing in the area that comes close to what the majority of American tourists would find acceptable.

I was merely stating that for a majority of touriists in Baja, the "Hotel Mission Catavina", really is the only game in town. You really think that the three women (three generations, going to see the whales) I was next to at the Desert Inn front desk two years ago at 6pm, who ended up over at Cabanas Lindas for the night, are going to tell anyone that they found the best place to stay there?

The "Trotters" are world travelers, and while they have discrminating tastes, they will always take refuge in a place that will accept their dogs.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by Bajahowodd]

fair and balanced hotel reviews

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2011 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Be serious, David.

Linda is totally third world, and Rancho Santa Ynez is a campground, despite the bunk rooms you mention.

Facts? Give me a break. I will gladly grant you that there are a number of Baja travelers who may find those two places acceptable. But, for the "tenderfoot" tourist, the Desert Inn, or whatever its new name is, represents to only thing in the area that comes close to what the majority of American tourists would find acceptable.

I was merely stating that for a majority of touriists in Baja, the "Hotel Mission Catavina", really is the only game in town. You really think that the three women (three generations, going to see the whales) I was next to at the Desert Inn front desk two years ago at 6pm, who ended up over at Cabanas Lindas for the night, are going to tell anyone that they found the best place to stay there?

The "Trotters" are world travelers, and while they have discrminating tastes, they will always take refuge in a place that will accept their dogs.

bajahowood:
you are correct, the desert inn is only lodging in town that doesn't have fleas or hanta virus. it is also only restaurant in town that does not serve salmonella for breakfast.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by mtgoat666]

David K - 3-21-2011 at 05:15 PM

It is not the only place... it may be the best place... but that wasn't what I was correcting. I will agree with both of you boys (or is that one boy and one goat?).

If it was me, and I needed a room... El Rosario is 1.5 hrs. away... 1) Baja Cactus, 2) Turista Motel, 3) Baja's Best B&B... and the other two places.

tripledigitken - 3-21-2011 at 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It is not the only place... it may be the best place... but that wasn't what I was correcting. I will agree with both of you boys (or is that one boy and one goat?).

If it was me, and I needed a room... El Rosario is 1.5 hrs. away... 1) Baja Cactus, 2) Turista Motel, 3) Baja's Best B&B... and the other two places.

That comment misses the whole point to the post. Without driving at night I needed to spend the night in Catavina to be able to take photos 30 minutes before and after sunset and sunrise.

Ken

TMW - 3-21-2011 at 05:44 PM

["1) Cabaņas Linda (motel) is across the highway and just north of the hotel formerly called Desert Inn. Reviews have ranged from good (DianaT and other's posts) to poor (Ken Cooke posts)"]

This is the pink motel on the north side of town.

I've staryed there a few times. One time we stayed there and there were a couple of other families staying too on their way to Central America. They lefty early. My brother was outside when the owner/maid/whoever came to clean the rooms. She never changed the sheets just straintened them out made the beds. After that when we stayed there my brother never sleep in a bed he used his camping cot. I just put my sleeping bag on the bed.

David K - 3-21-2011 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
["1) Cabaņas Linda (motel) is across the highway and just north of the hotel formerly called Desert Inn. Reviews have ranged from good (DianaT and other's posts) to poor (Ken Cooke posts)"]

This is the pink motel on the north side of town.

I've staryed there a few times. One time we stayed there and there were a couple of other families staying too on their way to Central America. They lefty early. My brother was outside when the owner/maid/whoever came to clean the rooms. She never changed the sheets just straintened them out made the beds. After that when we stayed there my brother never sleep in a bed he used his camping cot. I just put my sleeping bag on the bed.

That's pretty gross TW! Yah, maybe that is okay for the world class travelers mentioned above... but yech!

Ken, I understand your desire for staying in Cataviņa... it was HowOdd/Goat's comment that I was addressing with the additional info. That hotel doesn't have very many rooms, so what do people planning on it need to do if it is full...? So, I mentioned that it isn't the only game in town, even thought it is the best one in a 75 mile radius!

capt. mike - 3-22-2011 at 06:25 AM

i won't stay at a place that allows mangey mutts!!
who needs fleas, shed hair and dirt from frickin dogs in a room - they can never get them cleaned, at least one place apparently doesn't try! hahahaha

woody with a view - 3-22-2011 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Be serious, David.

bajahowood:
you are correct, the desert inn is only lodging in town that doesn't have fleas or hanta virus. it is also only restaurant in town that does not serve salmonella for breakfast.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by mtgoat666]

HI-larious