BajaNomad

US law enforcement role in Mexico drug war surges

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 02:41 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42168981/ns/world_news-americas/...

Bajahowodd - 3-19-2011 at 03:11 PM

Yuk. Yuk. Yuk.

Funny that I linked that same article to a post over on Ron's site.

Great minds think alike???:?::P:P:lol:

In my opinion, this article is less news and more like a status report.

And, as noted elsewhere, there is a poster on this page that makes a good point when they ask why it is that it is only the governments that do not understand that the war on drugs is unwinnable.

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

And, as noted elsewhere, there is a poster on this page that makes a good point when they ask why it is that it is only the governments that do not understand that the war on drugs is unwinnable.

Not only that, but in Mexico the war on drugs has morphed into a war for power....government power. I think this issue is avoided because, somewhere along the line, the turmoil would have to be called what it really is....an insurgency and we don't want no stinkin insurgencies in our hemisphere. Nosirree.

Cypress - 3-19-2011 at 03:53 PM

The war on drugs north or south of the border is a joke, but not a funny one.:barf:

Bajahowodd - 3-19-2011 at 04:01 PM

On a certain level, insurgencies, or the perceived threat thereof, provide a diversion from what is really happening. Anyone who would think that the pusuit of power by the government, or maybe better said, by the shadow government of major corporate interests just might look to the erosion of personal liberties in the US in the last decade.

Gawd! I almost seem to myself to be a total conspiracy whack job! But, I really fear that the vast majority of hard working people are systematically being stripped of their place at the table.

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
I really fear that the vast majority of hard working people are systematically being stripped of their place at the table.

They don't have time to lollygag at a table. They have to work more and build up their muscles. :lol:

Bajajorge - 3-21-2011 at 10:32 AM

The war was lost years ago, there's to much money to be made.

durrelllrobert - 3-21-2011 at 10:56 AM

Quote:

what else would you expect from MSNBC?

Well, sure...

Dave - 3-21-2011 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
it is only the governments that do not understand that the war on drugs is unwinnable.

If governments don't wanna fight then nothing is winnable.

Treat the truly addicted. Those that are untreatable either lock up or euthanize. Severely penalize recreational users. Legislate draconian penalties for casual use. Enforce the laws uniformly...Rich and poor alike. Treat associating with or not informing on drug users as treason.

That is how governments win wars.

monoloco - 3-21-2011 at 05:03 PM

A 1999 survey estimated that there are 14.8 million users of illicit drugs in the US, I sincerely doubt that the huge tax increases that would be necessary to build enough prisons to lock up even a fraction of those would garner much public support seeing as how the federal government and most states are already insolvent and are looking to cut law enforcement and corrections in an attempt to balance their budgets.

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2011 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

what else would you expect from MSNBC?

higher standards and better product than Fox

monoloco - 3-21-2011 at 05:14 PM

That's not saying much.

mulegemichael - 3-21-2011 at 05:15 PM

ok....i'm gonna come out here...i feel that the meth/crystal/coke drug trade is truly, truly taking us down...so...i would say FOCUS on these nasty ass drugs and leave this impotent drug that grows in this country alone...just FOCUS on the drugs that are killing people and creating criminals around this country....i think if after we do the math, it would shake out that the really, really desperate drug deals in this country are centered around the aforementioned ones....i think we can do this and still stay somewhat sane.

BajaGringo - 3-21-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
just FOCUS on the drugs that are killing people...

You mean alcohol and cigarettes?

;D

DENNIS - 3-21-2011 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
..just FOCUS on the drugs that are killing people

It would be in everybody's best interest if we openly supplied these. In time, there would be no more customers, nor problem. Why would this bother anybody?

fishabductor - 3-21-2011 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
ok....i'm gonna come out here...i feel that the meth/crystal/coke drug trade is truly, truly taking us down...so...i would say FOCUS on these nasty burro drugs and leave this impotent drug that grows in this country alone...just FOCUS on the drugs that are killing people and creating criminals around this country....i think if after we do the math, it would shake out that the really, really desperate drug deals in this country are centered around the aforementioned ones....i think we can do this and still stay somewhat sane.

agree 100% ...put the users, dealers and anyone else involved with these drugs in front of the wall and pull the trigger.

Even my late 95 y/o grandfather who was old school knows that marijuana is harmless, way more harmless than alcohol and cigarrettes which are legal and overconsumed by many including our leaders.