BajaNomad

Time to Fish

acadist - 3-20-2011 at 06:29 AM

How do you know when it is time to head to Baja and go fishing? Last night I pulled the last pack of fish out of my freezer, 2 nice fillets of an unusual summertime yellowtail!

We had an awesome trip and caught lots of tuna, dorado and this nice surprise along with farming wahoo and having a freight train (pargo?) break me off in the rocks. Hardest pull I think I have ever felt. The good news is that in 6 weeks I will be in La Paz with my amigo Jonathan trying to fill the ice chest again. Can't wait, Colorado trout are nice but not the same as sesame crusted ahi, or dorado tacos.
:tumble::tumble::spingrin::spingrin::tumble::tumble:

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by acadist]

Cardon Man - 3-20-2011 at 07:43 AM

Acadist...I think that's a rainbow runner , Elagatis bipinnulata, rather than a yellowtail.

htnfool - 3-20-2011 at 07:44 AM

Looks like a 'Rainbow Runner'. How did it taste?

Cardon Man - 3-20-2011 at 07:48 AM

Rainbow runner eats pretty damn good as I recall. But it's been a while.

acadist - 3-20-2011 at 07:57 AM

Looked like a firecracker yellowtail when I brought it up and when they vacuum packed it it was marked yellowtail......but no worries, it was a good time and tasted great!

Pescador - 3-20-2011 at 08:06 AM

It is definately a Rainbow Runner, but it is of the same Jack Family so they taste pretty much the same. The following comes from Mexfish.com but the pictures did not copy.

Rainbow Runner
Salmón
(Elagatis bipinnulata)

Fish Identification Photos: Rainbow Runner, Elagatis bipinnulata: The Rainbow Runner is a member of the Carangidae or Jack Family, and is characterized by its torpedo shaped body with a small mouth, pointed snout, and deeply forked caudal fin with a series of midlateral stripes that start on top as dark olive green, then blue, then dark, then blue and finally with white coloration on its lower parts.

The Rainbow Runner is similar in coloration to and might be confused with the Rainbow Sea Chub, Sectator ocyurus, which is far less "aerodynamic," or the Chihuil or Jack Mackerel, Trachurus symmetricus, which has similar, somewhat similar "aerodynamics" but does not have the blue stripes.

The Rainbow Runner is pelagic and found only well out to sea, at the tip of the Baja California peninsula and on its Sea of Cortez coast, off mainland Mexico from Mazatlan south, and around all oceanic islands.

The Rainbow Runner is found in large schools which travel in the first 100 feet of the water column.

The Rainbow Runner is reported to reach six feet in length, but is most common under three feet.

Note: The world record Rainbow Runner is 37 pounds 9 ounces, with the fish caught in Mexican waters.

Rainbow Runner, Elagatis bipinnulata: Photo courtesy John Snow.

Rainbow Runner, Elagatis bipinnulata: Caught with Captain Pata in the panga Salome, at La Playita, San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico, in 78-degree water, mid-morning in November 2003, near the surface, several miles out at sea, on a flylinned sardina, 30-pound test line, Mustad 94151 hook, size 1/0, 25 miles north of La Playita. Although the Rainbow Runner is a rather rare catch, this fish was caught out of a one acre school. Size approximately 24 inches and 8 pounds, and put up a horrific fight. Viewed as good table fare by locals. —Description and photo courtesy John Snow.

Rainbow Runner, Elagatis bipinnulata: Guide, Jesus, with a Rainbow Runner, caught at the Gordo Banks, San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico, in November 2001. Photo courtesy Eric Brictson, Gordo Banks Pangas.

Rainbow Runner, Elagatis bipinnulata: Caught at Punta Colorada, East Cape, Baja California

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by Pescador]

fishabductor - 3-20-2011 at 12:54 PM

Rainbow runner indeed... a rare yummy catch to say the least. I have only caught 3 in 8 yrs fishing full time. I seem to catch them when there are Tuna around...always on a small hoochie or live sardines.

acadist - 3-20-2011 at 02:28 PM

Took a break from the tuna to fish the reef and try for pargo, that was when this fish was hooked on live bait.:coolup: