BajaNomad

SEE UPDATE: Stolen Boat & Trailer

Pages:  1    3

latina - 3-20-2011 at 08:39 AM

I have enjoyed reading the posts here for the last few years and now find myself needing the assistance of this group.

Several weeks ago we made the grave mistake of hiring boat transporter JIM CONNOLLY to take our boat & trailer from La Paz to San Diego, which he said would take him 2.5 days. We wired him a 50% deposit so that he could insure our property for the trip.

On March 2nd we paid him in full and he left our home in La Paz with our 2003 19' Carolina Skiff (Louisiana reg.#LA9366FG) c/w 115hp Suzuki 4cycle O/B, sitting on a 2003 Continental aluminum single axel trailer, Louisiana plate #K042462, headed north.

A week later we tracked him down only as far as El Rosario, where he told us he lived with his girlfriend. He then told us he was also picking up 3 motorcycles to deliver along with our boat and trailer.

On March 11th he said he had broken down in Ensenada and his Ford F350 truck could not be repaired in Mexico. He told us he had a friend who would drive down from Oxnard and pick up our boat and trailer to finish the delivery.

At 10:30am March 14th he told us that our boat & trailer were hooked up to his friend's truck and they were in Rosarito heading north and would be in San Diego that day. After that we lost contact with JIM CONNOLLY for several days.

Fearing for his well-being and the whereabouts of our property we called the US Consolate Missing Persons who couldn't assist us. We tried to get information from the San Ysidro supervisor to see if he had crossed the border, been arrested or if our property had been detained. The supervisor couldn't give out that information. In order to get his truck plate # to make a report, we called the Baja Travel Club where he told us he would purchase the insurance we paid him for. We were told he did not in fact purchase the insurance. On the advise of the San Diego PD we contacted their auto theft division to find out what our options were. They told us that because we had a contract with JIM CONNOLLY to deliver our boat there was nothing we could do.

Then on the morning of March 18th, after several days without contact, JIM CONNOLLY finally answered his cellphone and told us that our boat and trailer and his friend's truck had all been STOLEN in Rosarito while his friend had made a stop, leaving our property unattended and the truck unlocked with the keys in the ignition! We asked him if he made a police report. He said he had. We asked him to email us copies of everything. He didn't. Now he has dropped off the face of the earth.

If you are planning any boat transport please be very wary of this individual as his business practises in our case have clearly been unethical and fraudulent. JIM CONNOLLY gave us a quote to transport our boat & trailer to San Diego. After we agreed on the price he requested 50% deposit, part of which he would use to insure our boat, which he did not do.

When he arrived in La Paz we booked and paid for a hotel room and even then he asked for more money to pay for his fuel for the trip north, which we gave him, along with the balance we agreed to pay (Even though our trip was a backhaul, as someone else had already paid him to bring their boat south to La Paz). Once he had our property he was difficult and sometimes impossible to reach. The 2.5 day trip extended to 16 days to the day he finally told us our property had been stolen and admitted that he had not insured it. Has anyone seen our boat and trailer on the Baja peninsula? Thank you.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by latina]

[Edited on 4-30-2011 by latina]

ligui - 3-20-2011 at 08:55 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you :mad: Do you have any photo's of JIM CONNOLLY ? Maybe post his cell no. so we can all give him a call and let him know we will be looking out for him and not use his service .:mad:

latina - 3-20-2011 at 09:03 AM

Hi Ligui. Sorry we don't have a photo of him. Right now we are trying to recover our boat and trailer or be compensated for our loss. If we don't succeed our focus will be to pursue the legal issue with JIM CONNOLLY. In the meantime, we know that he lives in El Rosario and frequents the Sinai RV Park where apparently his girlfriend works as a waitress.

wilderone - 3-20-2011 at 09:12 AM

He sounds like a pathalogical liar. He probably sold them. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Did you have other insurance on it? Regardless of your "contract" - it was stolen. You contracted for Jim Connolly to transport your boat/trailer - not for him to hire a subcontractor for the job. He breached your contract and is liable for damages.

wilderone - 3-20-2011 at 09:14 AM

Can you go to El Rosario yourself? File a police report there. Look around. Serve Connolly with a lawsuit.

David K - 3-20-2011 at 09:14 AM

"A week later we tracked him down only as far as El Rosario, where he told us he lived with his girlfriend."

If it helps at all, the owner of the Pemex station and Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario is a friend and member of Baja Nomad... Antonio 'BajaCactus' Muņoz. Antonio may have some knowledge if this person really lives there.

latina - 3-20-2011 at 09:25 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions and information. Needless to say we are feeling betrayed and swindled and it's nice to have the support. We are returning to La Paz in a few weeks and will explore our legal remedies there.

captkw - 3-20-2011 at 09:26 AM

find him and feed the big bird's with his body!!!!!

captkw - 3-20-2011 at 09:29 AM

p.s. let's keep this at the top of the board for a few day's and tell anyone of this punk!!!!

mcfez - 3-20-2011 at 10:47 AM

JIM CONNOLLY gave us a quote to transport our boat & trailer to San Diego.

Business licensed?
Business address?
Where did you find this guy?

If there is no business license or address......it's gone.

I just ran this at Google and saw this...I did not go further...you may want to..

San Diego County CA Boat Owners List in California for the County ...
Mar 2, 2011 ... San Diego County CA List of Boat, Yacht, & Ship Owners .... LYNN MARIE, THE ROBERT H JAMES TRUST DTD 5/10/02 ..... MEMORIES, JOHN CONNOLLY, *, *, PACEMAKER CORPORATION, 1973 ... 1954, Towing Vessel, 47.0, 56.5 ...
www.boatinfoworld.com/boat/.../san-diego-county-ca-californi... - Cached - Similar

gnukid - 3-20-2011 at 12:04 PM

Soulpatch, thats a good start. We should be able to make some inroads to locate him and also to pursue the case with action.

I wonder did the customers ever check and confirm any identification, documents, can they identify him or describe him to their best ability.

Can anyone with investigation skills reply to the customer to assist to put together details on the case and the boat and substantiate a case for fraud and theft? Is this a civil action only.

What would make the contract void? At what point can police be involved?

Interesting that all our outspoken law enforcement people and private investigators do not chime in to provide any suggestions on this thread? Why is that? Elvinstgate mr El Rosario?

fishabductor - 3-20-2011 at 12:10 PM

Is this the guy that was offering his transport on craigslist bcs? It sure sounds like the guy. Like all robbers I hope he gets what he deserves.

Cypress - 3-20-2011 at 12:14 PM

I'm thinking JIM CONNOLLY has screwed up big time. He's F'n over a Nomad! Go get him Nomads! Hang his a@# out to dry and maybe even put him one of those famous Mexican prisons.;)

latina - 3-20-2011 at 02:24 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We found Jim Connolly on Craigslist and he is also on uShip, where he displays a 5 star rating. We have seen him advertised on Craigslist for many years. There he advertises himself as a safe, licensed, insured professional with 12 years Baja towing experience. We were under the impression that he was a friend of a friend of ours and only found out after he left with our boat that he was only an acquaintance of our friend who has had nothing but bad experiences with him. I fault us for not checking his claims out further, but as we had a larger boat transported to us a few years back with no problems we had a certain comfort level with the process. The fellow who we hired on that occasion was not available this time so we hired Jim Connolly.
Did anyone see our boat on it's ill-fated journey? It's name is/was "La Tina". Thankyou

fishabductor - 3-20-2011 at 02:35 PM

I figured that was the same guy...thanks for sharing your bad experiences. maybe it's time to hire him again, in a sort of sting op.

ligui - 3-20-2011 at 02:36 PM

Photo of boat could help , maybe someone is trying to sell it and is advertising it .

Cypress - 3-20-2011 at 02:42 PM

Uno pregunta. Why would anyone be taking a boat from the fishing grounds of Louisiana to the Sea of Cortez?:o

latina - 3-20-2011 at 02:45 PM

Cypress, we bought the boat in Cabo San Lucas from the original owner who was from Louisiana, hence the Louisiana plates and registration.

Cypress - 3-20-2011 at 02:47 PM

latina, Thanks for the reply! Hope you find your boat and the thief finds a cell.

mtgoat666 - 3-20-2011 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by latina
I have enjoyed reading the posts here for the last few years and now find myself needing the assistance of this group. Several weeks ago we made the grave mistake of hiring boat transporter JIM CONNOLLY to take our boat & trailer from La Paz to San Diego, which he said would take him 2.5 days. We wired him a 50% deposit so that he could insure our property for the trip. On March 2nd we paid him in full and he left our home in La Paz with our 2003 19' Carolina Skiff (Louisiana reg.#LA9366FG) c/w 115hp Suzuki 4cycle O/B, sitting on a 2003 Continental aluminum single axel trailer, Louisiana plate #K042462, headed north. A week later we tracked him down only as far as El Rosario, where he told us he lived with his girlfriend. He then told us he was also picking up 3 motorcycles to deliver along with our boat and trailer. On March 11th he said he had broken down in Ensenada and his Ford F350 truck could not be repaired in Mexico. He told us he had a friend who would drive down from Oxnard and pick up our boat and trailer to finish the delivery. At 10:30am March 14th he told us that our boat & trailer were hooked up to his friend's truck and they were in Rosarito heading north and would be in San Diego that day. After that we lost contact with JIM CONNOLLY for several days. Fearing for his well-being and the whereabouts of our property we called the US Consolate Missing Persons who couldn't assist us. We tried to get information from the San Ysidro supervisor to see if he had crossed the border, been arrested or if our property had been detained. The supervisor couldn't give out that information. In order to get his truck plate # to make a report, we called the Baja Travel Club where he told us he would purchase the insurance we paid him for. We were told he did not in fact purchase the insurance. On the advise of the San Diego PD we contacted their auto theft division to find out what our options were. They told us that because we had a contract with JIM CONNOLLY to deliver our boat there was nothing we could do. Then on the morning of March 18th, after several days without contact, JIM CONNOLLY finally answered his cellphone and told us that our boat and trailer and his friend's truck had all been STOLEN in Rosarito while his friend had made a stop, leaving our property unattended and the truck unlocked with the keys in the ignition! We asked him if he made a police report. He said he had. We asked him to email us copies of everything. He didn't. Now he has dropped off the face of the earth. If you are planning any boat transport please be very wary of this individual as his business practises in our case have clearly been unethical and fraudulent. JIM CONNOLLY gave us a quote to transport our boat & trailer to San Diego. After we agreed on the price he requested 50% deposit, part of which he would use to insure our boat, which he did not do. When he arrived in La Paz we booked and paid for a hotel room and even then he asked for more money to pay for his fuel for the trip north, which we gave him, along with the balance we agreed to pay (Even though our trip was a backhaul, as someone else had already paid him to bring their boat south to La Paz). Once he had our property he was difficult and sometimes impossible to reach. The 2.5 day trip extended to 16 days to the day he finally told us our property had been stolen and admitted that he had not insured it. Has anyone seen our boat and trailer on the Baja peninsula? Thank you.

sue transporter. sue the other guy. sue them all. might as well file papers. buy a web domain and put up wanted posters with the story. hound him -- he will only pay up if you can make his life hell on earth.

wilderone - 3-20-2011 at 03:08 PM

If you can determine that he has an established business (check with California Secy of State (Business Search) under various names "Baja Haul" "Connolly Corp" or by principal, and see if there is a listed person for service of process, address of business.
If he says he's insured, then you can make a claim. Make an inquiry at Craigslist contact info. as a different person and ask about his insurance. Make a complaint with Craigslist if you can.
"What would make the contract void?" A fraudulent element - stated price included insurance or would get insurance, but did not intend to would be one (intent to decieve).

latina - 3-20-2011 at 04:23 PM

Thanks for the great ideas. I am trying in vain to post photos of the boat & trailer. Advice?

BajaGringo - 3-20-2011 at 05:14 PM

Here are some photos of the missing boat and trailer...

fishabductor - 3-20-2011 at 05:21 PM

that is a sweet boat...sorry for your loss.

How did it handle the SOC?

latina - 3-20-2011 at 05:38 PM

Thanks for posting the photos Ron. As you can see it has a unique hull and should be easily recognized. Fishabductor, thanks for your kind words. She was not an offshore boat but was awesome in the waters around La Paz.

toneart - 3-20-2011 at 05:49 PM

What about contacting David *******, Elinvestig8r on The BajaNomad. He is an investigator. I think he is in El Rosario right now.

David,
Can you respond?

BajaGringo - 3-20-2011 at 05:52 PM

Post an ad in the boats section of Craiglist in the following sections, with photos and a statement (Spanish and English) that it has been stolen.

Offering a reward will probably help too..

Tijuana Craigslist Boats for Sale

Baja Sur Craigslist Boats for Sale

BajaBlanca - 3-20-2011 at 06:01 PM

so sorry for your loss. beautiful boat and I sure hope someone sees it and you get it back.....

Already working on it...

BajaCactus - 3-20-2011 at 10:08 PM

Latina... I am sorry for what happened to you... this kind of dishonest behavior is unacceptable, I am sure everyone here will try to help in anyway they can.

On our part, I have just instructed my supervisors at BajaCactus, who reside in El Rosario, to try and locate either this Jim Connolly and/or his girlfriend/wife at the Sinahi Restaurant.

They will also go to the local stores and the local police department and authorities to see if anyone knows them.

Since El Rosario is a very small town, we should know pretty quick if this guy really lives or ever lived there.

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

David K - 3-20-2011 at 10:43 PM

Mil gracias Antonio!

mcfez - 3-21-2011 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
Latina... I am sorry for what happened to you... this kind of dishonest behavior is unacceptable, I am sure everyone here will try to help in anyway they can.

On our part, I have just instructed my supervisors at BajaCactus, who reside in El Rosario, to try and locate either this Jim Connolly and/or his girlfriend/wife at the Sinahi Restaurant.

They will also go to the local stores and the local police department and authorities to see if anyone knows them.

Since El Rosario is a very small town, we should know pretty quick if this guy really lives or ever lived there.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Good man Antonio! You seem to always be around when someone needs help.

Pompano - 3-21-2011 at 07:53 AM

Bravo, Antonio.. bravo.

latina - 3-21-2011 at 08:03 AM

Thank you so much Antonio. It will be a great help to know the whereabouts of JIM CONNOLLY so we can try and determine what happened to our boat & trailer, where it happened and when it happened....

As our only contact with JIM CONNOLLY after he drove away from our house in La Paz was by cellphone, and much of what he relayed to us turned out to be untrue, we really have no way of knowing if in fact our boat & trailer were stolen in Rosarito. They could just as easily be anywhere else.

Hopefully the photos that Ron posted above will jog someone's memory if and when they saw La Tina on the highway between La Paz and the border.

Thankyou again, everyone for keeping this search active and continuing to come up with ideas.

larryC - 3-21-2011 at 08:17 AM

Latina
If he is still advertising on Craigslist, then maybe you could set up a sting, tell him, through a freind, that you have a trailer that needs to be towed to Baja, and when you finally meet to pay him his money, you've got him. Thieves are greedy, he might go for it.
Larry

latina - 3-21-2011 at 08:42 AM

The sting idea is tempting, but we are not in La Paz for another few weeks and he could be anywhere. We need more evidence to present to the policia when we return to La Paz regarding the theft of our boat and trailer.
Even if we can meet with him there is nothing we can do to arrest him or force him to compensate us for our loss. We need the authorities for that and they will want as much information as we can provide.

Thank you

fishabductor - 3-21-2011 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Antonio,

I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of all fisherman and nomads. I regularily use your pemex, in fact I used it 2 days ago on my return drive back home to los cabos.

I also wanted to say that the girl with the nose ring was extremely kind and helpful to me, she even took care of my factura for me...a 1st at any pemex in baja!

Thanks again,
Fishabductor

toneart - 3-21-2011 at 09:21 AM

I have met Antonio on several occasions. He is always ready to help when needed. Gracias, Amigo!

latina - 3-21-2011 at 06:04 PM

It's getting worse... JIM CONNOLLY has lied to us about a whole lot more than not being insured.

One week to the day after he picked up our boat in La Paz we have a confirmed sighting of JIM CONNOLLY and his girlfriend "Dulce" and baby heading northbound WITHOUT OUR BOAT & TRAILER in the Loreto area, which is completely contrary to the story he told us about being broken down for several days with his truck and our property, in Ensenada.

This really begs the question: Where was our property mid-day March 9th when he assured us that our property was safe and sound WITH HIM IN ENSENADA while he was trying to repair his broken down truck???

Now we have no reason to believe the story that his friend from Oxnard was driving down to finish our delivery because his truck obviously was not broken down in Ensenada the day we talked to him on his cellphone. He apparently was in the Loreto area.

Given all this and the fact that he is not answering either of his cellphones or our emails we have strong reason to believe that he knows EXACTLY where OUR boat, outboard motor and trailer are.

mcfez - 3-21-2011 at 06:38 PM

IP addresses

You check those ?

You may want to hire a skip tracer.

msteve1014 - 3-21-2011 at 07:20 PM

His info. and part of yours point to him, and his friend, being from Oxnard, ca. I looked around the boat storage areas near the harbor and did not see anything. No one that I spoke to knew a Connolly that hauled boats. There is no Jim Connolly listed in the local phone books, sorry.

jenny.navarrette - 3-21-2011 at 08:42 PM

Your boat probably never left Cabo.

On 3/3/2011 he told another prospect he was still in Cabo and ready to haul his boat.
http://www.uship.com/shipment/Bertram-30ft-Moppie/738082059/

He is still bidding on boat hauls:
He put in a bid on 3/16/2011 to haul a boat from Huntington Beach to Puerto Vallarta.
http://www.uship.com/shipment/macgregor-25s/637891012/

Another bid on 3/16/2011 to haul a boat from Oxxnard to Puerto Vallarta.
http://www.uship.com/shipment/1995-mako-282-on-trailer/95149...

Watch that website and contact the people he is bidding with and you'll know where to catch him. The person in Oxnard is his brother, Bob Connolly, who is a boat broker.

No hay de que.

mcfez - 3-21-2011 at 09:24 PM

Damn good work jenny.navarrette !!!!!

fishabductor - 3-21-2011 at 09:41 PM

x2 on damn fine work.

he screwed a nomad and a fellow fisherman.. I don't know most of the nomads...but I will defend any fisherman who loses his boat to a thief....let's really attempt to F#$% up his life and business including all who are associated with him.

let us know how we can help

ligui - 3-22-2011 at 05:58 AM

I wrote to U ship to let them know what has been going on with jim and the missing boat . We'll see if they write back . Also tried to get onto their forum to let others know about jim / no luck .could anyone else try to get the message on their forum .

Would still like to have his cell phone and email adress :bounce:

ligui - 3-22-2011 at 06:58 AM

Jim was acepted as the shipper for moving the boat from Oxxnard to Puerto Vallarta .

Here is who he won the bid from http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/qball-express-andr... sounds like a there are alot of these guys out there

Phil S - 3-22-2011 at 07:33 AM

Just finished reading this thread. Did I miss anything regarding mentioning of a reward being offered for the return & conviction of the thief? I'd love to see that it turned out to be Mr. Connelly. Posting pictures around all the marina's by fellow nomads would help. copies to all marina towns law enforcements also would help. I agree. This boat might still be in Cabo. With the decals removed,d and the name painted over, and a different colored canvas bimini.
Are the license plates on the trailer 'current'?
They might even be removed by now.
Antonio: Your the greatest. Another reason we always stay at your motel & gas up going & coming. support those who support us!!!!!!

wilderone - 3-22-2011 at 08:07 AM

According to info in that complaint link: "... you need current & valid CDL, DOT, MC and ICC #S and not displayed on the side of your owned or leased legal trucks like all legal commercial trucks must running DOT hrs & log books. You need proper government authority to transport for hire and to be legal. ... [and] Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number."

So a lot more complaints with federal and state agencies could be lodged against him. Also, contact his broker the boat broker who may be licensed, and lay it on heavy with him as a conspirator in these crimes. The brother may lead you to him.

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-22-2011 at 08:22 AM

I heard there is an American in El Rosario that is fleeing from the IRS due to failure to pay taxes. I do not know his name but as you drive through El Rosario on your way out of town he has a house on the left with two bulldozers parked in front that are for sale. That may be him. Who knows!

PS: Sorry toneart I just saw this and I am now back home. The above information may be a good lead.

[Edited on 3-22-2011 by ELINVESTIG8R]

latina - 3-22-2011 at 09:28 AM

Thank you friends for the continuing flow of good suggestions.

McFez re. IP addresses, we don't have a clue how to do that...

msteve: Thankyou for personally checking out the boatyards. Interesting that nobody knew of him there.

jenny.navarrette: Good detective work! Your idea that the boat never left the La Paz region is a possibility in light of all the other info. and how interesting that the day after he took our boat he told another potential client that he was IN CABO.

ligui: Thanks for contacting uShip. I have looked all over that site for a complaint section and didn't see one.

Phil S: We have not offered a reward because until Friday we didn't even know our boat & trailer were STOLEN. That was the day we reached JIM CONNOLLY (he probably only answered his cellphone because he didn't recognize our new number). We are not in Mexico for another week and so our hands are tied until then to go to the Policia Federal with all of our FACTS.
Unfortuntely unless the boat has been stored in a bodega somewhere, you are right that the decals, name and plates would all be removed. Sadly in BCS there would be more value selling the outboard and aluminum trailer separately from "La Tina".

wilderone: The complaint link has a lot of good information. We are now certain that JIM CONNOLLY would not have had the legal right to be conducting business between the USA and Mexico or in Mexico for that matter. The crime supposedly took place in Mexico and the US authorities told us that they do not work together with the Mexican authorities and do not have a free flow of information with them.
We will try to track down "Bob Connolly" and see what light he may shed on JIM CONNOLLY.

ElvinVestig8R: That is very interesting about the American with IRS problems in El Rosario. We assumed JIM CONNOLLY has been crossing between S. California and Baja because we saw another customer's boat and trailer at the Marina Hotel in La Paz where we put him up, but it has been suggested to us that someone else brings the boats across the border to him.

Yesterday was a Mexican holiday and since we only found out about the theft on Friday we have not been able to speak to our Mexican contacts about our options until today.

Trying to deal with this kind of situation while we are not in Mexico is overwhelming, so thanks again to all you good samaritans for your help and advise.

jenny.navarrette - 3-22-2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Would still like to have his cell phone and email address

805-712-1780
connollycorp@yahoo.com
California Drivers License: A8506549

cell phone look-up

El Camote - 3-22-2011 at 10:28 AM

This website will list an address in Oxnard and Templeton, CA for that cell number, for a fee of course. FWIW.
Buen Suerte.

http://www.intelius.com/results.php?ReportType=33&qp=805...

norte - 3-22-2011 at 10:31 AM

I believe he is friends with the Baja Best B&B. Check there

mtgoat666 - 3-22-2011 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
It's getting worse... JIM CONNOLLY has lied to us about a whole lot more than not being insured.

One week to the day after he picked up our boat in La Paz we have a confirmed sighting of JIM CONNOLLY and his girlfriend "Dulce" and baby heading northbound WITHOUT OUR BOAT & TRAILER in the Loreto area, which is completely contrary to the story he told us about being broken down for several days with his truck and our property, in Ensenada.

This really begs the question: Where was our property mid-day March 9th when he assured us that our property was safe and sound WITH HIM IN ENSENADA while he was trying to repair his broken down truck???

Now we have no reason to believe the story that his friend from Oxnard was driving down to finish our delivery because his truck obviously was not broken down in Ensenada the day we talked to him on his cellphone. He apparently was in the Loreto area.

Given all this and the fact that he is not answering either of his cellphones or our emails we have strong reason to believe that he knows EXACTLY where OUR boat, outboard motor and trailer are.

odd that he would steal an inexpensive boat, trailer and motor. seems like he would target a bigger fish, and fulfill transport agreements for the smaller fish.

perhaps he misjudged the victims tenacity. if you keep after him you should be able to get him and his accomplices

nomad is a great place to get free detective work, lots of people eager to help right a wrong.

of course, it may be that someone stole the boat from him or he damaged the boat -- and he concocted a lie to cover the fact that he is self-insured and has no assets or willingness to pay for his mistake.

[Edited on 3-22-2011 by mtgoat666]

capitolkat - 3-22-2011 at 02:05 PM

Saw a boat that looked like the one in question in La paz yesterday and did a U and chased it for a couple of miles and caught up only to find it was a Triumph with a black Merc that looked like a Suzuki as he passed me going the other way. I'll keep my eyes open. Norm

fishabductor - 3-22-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
Saw a boat that looked like the one in question in La paz yesterday and did a U and chased it for a couple of miles and caught up only to find it was a Triumph with a black Merc that looked like a Suzuki as he passed me going the other way. I'll keep my eyes open. Norm

thanks for doing that kat.

latina - 3-22-2011 at 02:20 PM

You folks are the best. Thankyou

bajabass - 3-22-2011 at 02:46 PM

Hey Norm, that was me!!;D Nice T-top, huh?? I also have my eyes open for a Carolina Skiff in the area latina! I am at ramps at least 2 days a week, maybe more if the fishing would pick up. Good Luck!

A slight hi-jack

Howard - 3-22-2011 at 03:32 PM

In no means is this meant to brush aside the problem that latina is having but I hope she doesn't mind that I do not want to fall into the same trap.

I am looking to hire someone to transport my 5th wheel from the Los Angeles area to Loreto.

I have found someone that is willing to do it and HE COULD BE THE MOST HONEST PERSON IN THE WORLD SO THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NO SLIGHT AGAINST HIM OR HIS COMPANY.

After reading this thread I got a little paranoid about having a stranger pick up my trailer so hopefully a little good can come out of latina'a misfortune.

Has anyone had any dealings with Tom Kenopic of kenopic
tow? What are the proper questions to asking him and what type of documentation should he have to verify that he is as honest as he appears to be? The 5th wheel is registered in my name and I will not be traveling with him so does that open another can of worms?

Again, I have no reason to believe that he is not an upstanding person but this subject has made me a little nervous.
Thank you
Howard

fishabductor - 3-22-2011 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
In no means is this meant to brush aside the problem that latina is having but I hope she doesn't mind that I do not want to fall into the same trap.

I am looking to hire someone to transport my 5th wheel from the Los Angeles area to Loreto.

I have found someone that is willing to do it and HE COULD BE THE MOST HONEST PERSON IN THE WORLD SO THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NO SLIGHT AGAINST HIM OR HIS COMPANY.

After reading this thread I got a little paranoid about having a stranger pick up my trailer so hopefully a little good can come out of latina'a misfortune.

Has anyone had any dealings with Tom Kenopic of kenopic
tow? What are the proper questions to asking him and what type of documentation should he have to verify that he is as honest as he appears to be? The 5th wheel is registered in my name and I will not be traveling with him so does that open another can of worms?

Again, I have no reason to believe that he is not an upstanding person but this subject has made me a little nervous.
Thank you
Howard

A piece of mind would be to install a gps tracking device hidden deep in the trailer/boat. They are relatively cheap these days, and you can track the device online, so you will know as soon as they deviate from the planned route.

I have worked in the construction industry and we started installingthese items on many high dollar items that could easily walk off or be towed off, many arrests have been accredited to these devices as you can track you property to with 10'. I believe dewalt now makes one. the vice one look like part of the engine or a smoke detector, so they are hard to spot.

Howard - 3-22-2011 at 03:49 PM

Interesting. From the USA, could I track the trailer in Baja? It sounds like you can track your teenage kids as well!

Found the girlfriend...

BajaCactus - 3-22-2011 at 07:53 PM

Latina... we have located Jim Connolly's girlfriend/wife and their home in El Rosario... I will be e-mailing you with names, addresses and more details. We will do it by e-mail in case this guy is also following this thread.

Also will be waiting your instructions in how you want to proceed and what you would like us to do to help you further.

BajaCactus

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by BajaCactus]

BajaBlanca - 3-22-2011 at 07:57 PM

way to go Antonio !!

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-22-2011 at 08:00 PM

Latina if it is the tax cheat turn him in to IRS for a reward and get some of your money back!

If this is someone from El Rosario Your boat may be at the beach where they are diving for almeja chiludo and pepino.

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Johannes - 3-22-2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi I just want to tell you about my recent experience with Jim Connolly. I was pulling my 5th wheel past Ensenada about 43 miles south when I lost all the transmission fluid of my F250 Ford. I was at a total loss. No telephone service, nobody stopping for help. Then suddenly Jim pulled up, asking what is the problem. He offered to pull my 5th wheel back to Ensenada but my hitch did not fit his mounting rails. However I had a tow strap big enough for pulling the F250 back to Ensenada. He did it and he had the mounting track bars modified on his truck to fit my hitch for less then 40$ at a local welding shop in Ensenada he knew. Then he towed my trailer back after dropping his trailer off at a local police station and paying the police to watch it. Then he helped me to get the spare parts to fix my transmission ($4.50 for the seal and $45 for the trans fluid) He negotiated the cost of the repair of the transmission repair to $100, helped me to find the parts and the fluid in Ensenada for the lowest price, driving to the shops. Within under 2 days I was back on the road pulling my 5th wheel trailer down to Loreto. Jim was my savior and I am thankful that he came along. He did not ask for money but I did pay him what I thought to be fair for all his effort. This happened on Feb 1st this year. I hope he is ok and wish him all the best and that this situation will be resolved for all parties. Bad things sometimes happen to good people.

latina - 3-23-2011 at 08:27 AM

Thank you so much Antonio for your information. It is imperative to have as many details as possible for our police reports. We are glad that Johannes had a good experience with Jim Connolly. Consider yourself fortunate, because you are the exception, not the rule. Our investigations have only determined that his business practises are worse than even we imagined. We have only stated the facts and the events that happened in our dealings with JIM CONNOLLY and they speak for themselves.

wilderone - 3-23-2011 at 09:09 AM

Howard, ask him about his licensure and permits. Does he haul interstate in the US as well? "Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number." Ask to see his current insurance policy on his company - at least ask which ins. co. agent and know amounts and policy number so you can make a claim if need be. Verify info. Ask for references and check them out. I would think, for an honest hauler, the risk for a Baja transport would be damage en route, so maybe even a signed informal agreement between you regarding such issues would be in order. If he wants the business and can back up his promises, should be no problem for him.

fishabductor - 3-23-2011 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Howard, ask him about his licensure and permits. Does he haul interstate in the US as well? "Companies that operate commercial vehicles transporting passengers or hauling cargo in interstate commerce must be registered with the FMCSA and must have a USDOT Number." Ask to see his current insurance policy on his company - at least ask which ins. co. agent and know amounts and policy number so you can make a claim if need be. Verify info. Ask for references and check them out. I would think, for an honest hauler, the risk for a Baja transport would be damage en route, so maybe even a signed informal agreement between you regarding such issues would be in order. If he wants the business and can back up his promises, should be no problem for him.

and get photo copies of everything including his ID.

latina - 3-23-2011 at 10:05 AM

Howard, wilderone & fishabductor: We agree that it is important to have photocopies of the transporter's id.

We were hugely remiss in not getting a copy of the insurance policy JIM CONNOLLY said he had on our property and only found out after he left our home with our boat & trailer and had been out of contact with us that he did not in fact purchase insurance as we had paid him to do.

After what has happened to us in our dealings with JIM CONNOLLY we strongly suggest that anyone planning to have their property transported goes above and beyond when checking out the hauler, even if they seem like good people on the surface, as is the case with JIM CONNOLLY. After all, this is how unscrupulous people disarm those they are aiming to deceive.

surfdoc - 3-23-2011 at 10:35 AM

Latina

I'm heading north from Asuncion this weekend... like I said on BD, if there is anything i can do to help....take photo's of the house/people etc. Let me know... would be glad to assist as this is one nightmare no one should have to endure.

Stan

MitchMan - 3-23-2011 at 10:55 AM

side point: half the time, businesses and business people and gov agencies, banks, and even notarios have their photocopy machines working only 1/2 the time. Also, when it is a good idea to make a copy of things or documents, there is no photocopier in sight nor available. I always take my little point and shoot camera with me wherever I go in Baja. I use it to make copies of things constantly. After all, isn't a photocopier just taking a digital picture of your document?

Learn how to take a picture in manual mode or in TV mode WITHOUT FLASH. You will get an acceptable copy quicker, sharper and more certain.

mtgoat666 - 3-23-2011 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
side point: half the time, businesses and business people and gov agencies, banks, and even notarios have their photocopy machines working only 1/2 the time. Also, when it is a good idea to make a copy of things or documents, there is no photocopier in sight nor available. I always take my little point and shoot camera with me wherever I go in Baja. I use it to make copies of things constantly. After all, isn't a photocopier just taking a digital picture of your document?

Learn how to take a picture in manual mode or in TV mode WITHOUT FLASH. You will get an acceptable copy quicker, sharper and more certain.

yes, but copier availability should not be the customers problem. the contractor should provide all requested documentation/proof prior to any substantial payment to contractor. also, if contractor is buying insurance for your property, the insurance company should be naming you as an insured, shouldn't they?

latina - 3-23-2011 at 11:20 AM

surfdoc, Thank you for your generous offer. I will send you a U2U, latina.

ligui - 3-23-2011 at 02:43 PM

I just received an e-mail from the uship company and they asked for this web link and want to look into the problem , and also speak with the injured party . :yes: Lets see what becomes of this. Was good to hear back from the so soon .

fingers crossed

latina - 3-23-2011 at 03:16 PM

I also received an email from uShip. It seems they don't appreciate being taken advantage of either.

latina - 3-23-2011 at 06:17 PM

Is it possible that our stolen boat & trailer is somewhere between Cabo San Lucas and Loreto?

I just reread the post from jenny.navarrette. In one of the discussions between JIM CONNOLLY and a prospective client on March 3rd, he says he is IN CABO, THE DAY AFTER HE LEFT OUR HOUSE IN LA PAZ, supposedly heading north to San Diego with our property. Then on March 9th he was seen south of Loreto WITHOUT our boat and trailer.

What conclusions should we draw from this? Sorry for shouting...

Phil S - 3-23-2011 at 06:23 PM

He's probably sold your boat during that time frame, if in fact it can be verified he in farct was seen then. I still think you should consider a reward before it gets too late. (easy for me to say, since it isn't my money yo0 would spend) I know up here in the states when an uninsured item is stolen, parties offer nice rewards. Worked for me ona $30,000. loss years ago in Oregon. Got our sterlin silver flatware back that was wedding presents. My ex-wedding ring from the prior marriage also showed up, but I told them it wasn't mine?????? They wanted me to pay the hock shop what they loaned on it. But not the sterlin silver????? Any one else have good luck after offering a reward???????

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by Phil S]

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by Phil S]

ligui - 3-24-2011 at 05:38 AM

Uship has written back to me and has said they are having trouble logging on . They also sent me this .http://www.uship.com/profile/connollycorp/ .

This guy jim needs to be caught and put in jail , he keeps taking peoples money , boats , etc .

Must say he's not to smart , lots of people looking for him .:P

who can verify the OP's allegations???????

mtgoat666 - 3-24-2011 at 06:43 AM

Quote:
I just received an e-mail from the uship company and they asked for this web link and want to look into the problem , and also speak with the injured party . :yes: Lets see what becomes of this. Was good to hear back from the so soon .

fingers crossed

you should be careful. "latina" is a newbie that created an identity just to come here and make allegations against connolly. perhaps "latina" is just a jilted girl friend or boy friend. you never know. people tell all sorts of lies on the internet, and people are often dishonest.

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by mtgoat666]

doubts about OP

mtgoat666 - 3-24-2011 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
I have enjoyed reading the posts here for the last few years and now find myself needing the assistance of this group.

Several weeks ago we made the grave mistake of hiring boat transporter JIM CONNOLLY to take our boat & trailer from La Paz to San Diego, which he said would take him 2.5 days. We wired him a 50% deposit so that he could insure our property for the trip.

On March 2nd we paid him in full and he left our home in La Paz with our 2003 19' Carolina Skiff (Louisiana reg.#LA9366FG) c/w 115hp Suzuki 4cycle O/B, sitting on a 2003 Continental aluminum single axel trailer, Louisiana plate #K042462, headed north.

A week later we tracked him down only as far as El Rosario, where he told us he lived with his girlfriend. He then told us he was also picking up 3 motorcycles to deliver along with our boat and trailer.

On March 11th he said he had broken down in Ensenada and his Ford F350 truck could not be repaired in Mexico. He told us he had a friend who would drive down from Oxnard and pick up our boat and trailer to finish the delivery.

At 10:30am March 14th he told us that our boat & trailer were hooked up to his friend's truck and they were in Rosarito heading north and would be in San Diego that day. After that we lost contact with JIM CONNOLLY for several days.

Fearing for his well-being and the whereabouts of our property we called the US Consolate Missing Persons who couldn't assist us. We tried to get information from the San Ysidro supervisor to see if he had crossed the border, been arrested or if our property had been detained. The supervisor couldn't give out that information. In order to get his truck plate # to make a report, we called the Baja Travel Club where he told us he would purchase the insurance we paid him for. We were told he did not in fact purchase the insurance. On the advise of the San Diego PD we contacted their auto theft division to find out what our options were. They told us that because we had a contract with JIM CONNOLLY to deliver our boat there was nothing we could do.

Then on the morning of March 18th, after several days without contact, JIM CONNOLLY finally answered his cellphone and told us that our boat and trailer and his friend's truck had all been STOLEN in Rosarito while his friend had made a stop, leaving our property unattended and the truck unlocked with the keys in the ignition! We asked him if he made a police report. He said he had. We asked him to email us copies of everything. He didn't. Now he has dropped off the face of the earth.

If you are planning any boat transport please be very wary of this individual as his business practises in our case have clearly been unethical and fraudulent. JIM CONNOLLY gave us a quote to transport our boat & trailer to San Diego. After we agreed on the price he requested 50% deposit, part of which he would use to insure our boat, which he did not do.

When he arrived in La Paz we booked and paid for a hotel room and even then he asked for more money to pay for his fuel for the trip north, which we gave him, along with the balance we agreed to pay (Even though our trip was a backhaul, as someone else had already paid him to bring their boat south to La Paz). Once he had our property he was difficult and sometimes impossible to reach. The 2.5 day trip extended to 16 days to the day he finally told us our property had been stolen and admitted that he had not insured it. Has anyone seen our boat and trailer on the Baja peninsula? Thank you.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by latina]

that is a pretty severe allegation. i notice you posted anonymously. when you accuse someone of criminal activity, you should use your full name and not an alias.

ligui - 3-24-2011 at 06:51 AM

mtgoat666 , did you take a look at the link from uship ? it shows that he ripped off anoughter person of their down payment . Uship is having problems with this guy and are trying to do something about it. Doesn't look like a jilted girl friend .

I do get your point about the nuts that are on the internet :bounce:

mtgoat666 - 3-24-2011 at 06:56 AM

Quote:
mtgoat666 , did you take a look at the link from uship ? it shows that he ripped off anoughter person of their down payment . Uship is having problems with this guy and are trying to do something about it. Doesn't look like a jilted girl friend .

I do get your point about the nuts that are on the internet :bounce:

and who is the other guy? same jilted GF?

i notice uship has some good reviews too.

smells fishy. just needs some air to clear it up

latina - 3-24-2011 at 08:07 AM

mtgoat666:

Please reread my original post. I only stated the facts pertaining to us and our dealings with JIM CONNOLLY, who by the way is still missing in action, along with the money we paid him and our boat and trailer which he drove away with 22 days ago.

We accuse JIM CONNOLLY of fraud, lying, deceit and completely unprofessional behaviour. Fellow nomads and police authorities we talked to have drawn the conclusion that he was the one who stole our boat, based on the facts that we told them.

We could have just sucked it up, realized we were swindled, accepted the loss and moved on, but we are glad we didn't because we have been in contact with other people who have serious legal issues with JIM CONNOLLY. If he is disabled from deliberately hurting other innocent people then we will be satisfied. Until then we hope as many people as possible stumble onto this thread and save themselves the misfortune that befell us.

As for being a newbie, I would imagine most people joined the Baja Nomads and made their first post because they had something important they wanted to say.

With regards to anonymously posting, I was under the impression that was the point of choosing a username. JIM CONNOLLY knows who we are. The police and our friends know who we are. Anyone who needs our support or wants personal contact with us are free to send an email.

Hopefully that clears it up for you, latina

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by latina]

DENNIS - 3-24-2011 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
As for being a newbie, I would imagine most people joined the BajaForum and made their first post because they had something important they wanted to say.

You betcha.........If it weren't important, I wouldn't say it. :lol:

wilderone - 3-24-2011 at 08:40 AM

Latina - just ignore him.

Phil S - 3-24-2011 at 08:58 AM

Latina. Check your U2U's

DENNIS - 3-24-2011 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Latina - just ignore him.

She can't ignore me. Better people have tried...and failed. I am imbedded into your monitor. :biggrin:

Take a break from all this...

mcfez - 3-24-2011 at 09:34 AM

Let's have lunch

[Edited on 3-24-2011 by mcfez]

soup.jpg - 16kB

latina - 3-24-2011 at 09:38 AM

Phil S. I don't have a U2U from you.....just checked

mtgoat666 - 3-24-2011 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
blah, blah, blah...

i am all for anonymity,...
but i am against people making anonymous allegations of criminal activity by spraying their allegations on the internet.

baronvonbob - 3-24-2011 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
blah, blah, blah...

i am all for anonymity,...
but i am against people making anonymous allegations of criminal activity by spraying their allegations on the internet.

It is good to see that self appointed moderators can give an anonymous opinion and then chastise if it does not fit there perceived notion of life.

bajaandy - 3-24-2011 at 11:16 AM

Latina, saw your post over on BD. Sorry to hear about this dishonest BS. I truly hope you get to the bottom of this and that justice is served. Ignore the trolls... they only post to be able to read their own drivel and to sew deviousness. Most of all, I hope you get your boat back! Good luck.

capitolkat - 3-24-2011 at 03:41 PM

Latina- from here in la Paz- let me know if there is anything I can do. and like Wilderone and Bajandy said- Ignore the old goat

latina - 3-24-2011 at 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the support and kind offers of help. We are drowning in a sea of paperwork that is required to be delivered in person to various authorities, so we will be returning to La Paz sooner than we planned to take care of it all. We don't wish this on anyone.

latina - 3-25-2011 at 08:50 AM

23 days have passed and still no word from JIM CONNOLLY.

It is highly unlikely that our boat is in the condition it was when it left our house on March 2nd. Check out La Tina's photos again. We hazard to guess she is the only 19 foot Carolina Skiff on the whole Baja, so no one in their right mind will try to use her the way she was. She will be stripped of motor and controls, canvas, gas tank, electronics, center console unit, etc.,etc.. and the aluminum trailer will have been quickly recycled as well.

JIM CONNOLLY is about 6'3", 220lbs, dark hair, possibly blue eyes, 40ish and is a US citizen. He DRIVES a charcoal 2004 F-350 4 door deisel pick-up, California license plate #7N59613 and could be travelling with his girlfriend Dulce and their 8month old baby.

It is unlikely you will spot him towing our boat and trailer. If you have seen him in the Baja, or elsewhere, and would like to share, we would be most interested in his location. Thank you

Dear Latina

grizzlyfsh95 - 3-25-2011 at 12:31 PM

I have been following this event and find some of the treatment you have received by the "sourdough" Baja types to be rude and self serving. I have experienced the same. You see this bs by "old salts" in Alaska also. It seems to happen when these guys fulfill their boyhood fantasy of rugged individualism, in their campers, and have way too much time on their hands.

DENNIS - 3-25-2011 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95
I have been following this event and find some of the treatment you have received by the "sourdough" Baja types to be rude and self serving. I have experienced the same. You see this bs by "old salts" in Alaska also. It seems to happen when these guys fulfill their boyhood fantasy of rugged individualism, in their campers, and have way too much time on their hands.

That's pretty funny. BajaNomad is nothing if not cynical. Those who benefit from the wide-spread reactions are those who take what works and leave the rest.
This isn't an Honor Society nor is it a church group although it most often is what one is looking for, information that pertains to a certain question.
If victims in Baja, or anywhere else, are looking for a community of grievers, they have probably come to the wrong place.

Howard - 3-25-2011 at 12:43 PM

Somewhere I read "attitude is everything."

I think some of the people on Baja Nomads should remember that.

mtgoat666 - 3-25-2011 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95

grisslefish:
i love the country where people are innocent until proven guilty, and i appreciate the court system where anonymous allegations/testimony are not admissable, i don't believe 80% of what is posted on the internet, and i ALWAYS doubt anonymously posted information on the internet. the louder latina protests, the more i doubt.
i don't believe any newbie that has posted about only one thing, and that thing is an allegation of criminal activity. the skeptic in me says it smells fishy.

[Edited on 3-25-2011 by mtgoat666]

Cypress - 3-25-2011 at 01:22 PM

mtgoat666, And what makes you think anybody gives a flying"F" what you think?:biggrin:

ligui - 3-25-2011 at 07:04 PM

Hey kids get back on track , we are trying to help this couple with a boat being stolen . :spingrin: Take your fighting to a off subject chat . If you have info with this problem then thanks . :tumble:
 Pages:  1    3