BajaNomad

Shimano Lucanus Jigs

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2011 at 04:56 PM

Has anyone tried these things?

After seeing the videos at Hi's Tackle I decided to give one a try this winter. At $15 a pop, one was all I was going to risk.

They're for bottom fish so they're really not for the glamour boys. But, gosh, are they effective. Fishing side by side one of us would use a small megabait and the other this jig. It outfished the megabait 10+ to 1. They are amazing. Just lift and lower the rod slowly and something shows up in minutes. We caught cabrilla, snappers, pinto bass, and pargo with them. Their eyes glow in the dark and that may have a lot to do with their effectiveness. But mostly it's the rubber appendages that get them going as I could feel them pulling on them down below.

I figure they're too expensive for those who live in baja and fish every day. But for the tourist who has a limited amount of time to fish and wants as much action as possible - then it's worth the cost.

They should be a hit with calicos and halibut as well.

Would like to hear anyone else's experience with them.

ShimanoLucanus.jpg - 49kB

fishabductor - 3-20-2011 at 05:01 PM

They look pretty cool...but for $15 you can buy a 5 gallon bucket full of live sardines and I'd put my money on the sardines. However the lure would be easier to keep alive.

How heavy are they? Can they be cast effectively and retreived? are teh skirts replacable?

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2011 at 05:33 PM

The red on is 3 oz and the other 5 ounces. They cast a mile but I'm not sure cast and retrieve is a good way to fish as those trailing hooks would easily hang up.

It's a really new design in tackle. The hooks aren't attached to the jig. They simply trail the head in the vicinity of the tentacles. You can attach a new set of hooks easily. The tentacles aren't made of rubber and didn't just get chewed off after a couple of fish.

A big reason they like them is because it really looks and acts like a favorite seafood item. Most of those plastics we use so successfully really don't resemble food but feel like it in their mouths. Anyway, to my untrained eye this looks like a baby octopus.

Yeah, it's hard to beat live sardines. But in most of baja there aren't people around to buy from.

Pompano - 3-20-2011 at 05:33 PM

Igor...I've got a couple in different colors. The boyz at SquidCo raved about them..and got me to buy some. ;D

So far, they're still virgin in my tackle box. So many lures..so little time!

When will I test them...?...Like the locals....Manana.

BajaBruno - 3-20-2011 at 06:27 PM

Roger, you DID promise a new series on your adventures with the new lures. These could be ones to start with. Hey, get to fishing and reporting big guy--we're counting on you.

BornFisher - 3-20-2011 at 07:05 PM

Great for reds and other bottom critters, not good for lings. These are HIGH maintenance lures! The skirts are replaceable but a real PIA to get on if you have bad hands. The noses can break (or bend), the line holding the hooks wears thin and breaks after about 10 fish chew on it. But if you are willing to deal with these issues, and spend some dough, they are really good. I like the 200 mg (7oz.) for fishing deep (250'-400'). Don`t know how they would work for skipjack but I bet you`d kill tons of reds in SQ!!

yellowklr - 3-20-2011 at 08:42 PM

I've gotten some nice reds on them but most of mine have ened up in the rocks............Expensive RF when ya lose a 15 dollar jig!

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2011 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Igor...I've got a couple in different colors. The boyz at SquidCo raved about them..and got me to buy some. ;D

So far, they're still virgin in my tackle box. So many lures..so little time!

When will I test them...?...Like the locals....Manana.

I think they should work well on those pinto bass you enjoy so much.

vacaenbaja - 3-21-2011 at 12:13 AM

Bought four last trip out after watching video with a very jaundiced eye. these things are made to catch fishermen. They do look damn good. they do get
your imagination going at the store. They did not out perform anything in
my tackle box or catch bigger fish. And I was in to quite a few big fish caught with every thing from live bait to the tried and true salas,tadys etc.
NOT worth the money. only one made it back as the lures are good at getting hung up.

fishabductor - 3-21-2011 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
Bought four last trip out after watching video with a very jaundiced eye. these things are made to catch fishermen. They do look damn good. they do get
your imagination going at the store. They did not out perform anything in
my tackle box or catch bigger fish. And I was in to quite a few big fish caught with every thing from live bait to the tried and true salas,tadys etc.
NOT worth the money. only one made it back as the lures are good at getting hung up.

now this is a good (or bad if you spent $15 on one of these lures;D) review...

thanks

TheBajaKid - 3-21-2011 at 09:56 AM

I have a few and they dont get fished much .