BajaNomad

Whale Watching Guerrero Negro

bigmike - 3-21-2011 at 10:21 AM

Hi,

I know that April 2nd may be a little late but we are heading down to
La Paz and Loreto to spend some time and thought we would give a try to seeing Whales, was wondering if anyone has been there recently and can tell me if there are still alot of whales there.

Thanks!!::tumble:

shari - 3-21-2011 at 12:16 PM

I just came from the lagoon and there are still lots of whales...who are in a very good mood by the way...it was whale heaven there yesterday...flat calm, glassy, mushy whales....out friggn standing!!!!!!!

but April 3rd is very late. I would only go out to the mouth of the lagoon at that time where some passerbyers...migrators might be resting or lingering.
Companies that go there are Mario's, Laguna Tours, and Malarrimos.

fishabductor - 3-21-2011 at 12:24 PM

I was watching whales this morning on the eastcape, so they are still around. I was surprised to see them this late. They were jumping all over!

jeffg - 3-23-2011 at 11:05 AM

Even though it's late in the season we would like to try this too. We'll be in GN around March 29 if all goes as planned. Is there any problem with just driving out to the lagoon in the morning to find a panga, vs. doing the whole tour thing from GN?

Jeff

bigboy - 3-23-2011 at 11:10 AM

Shari,

How about San Ignacio laguna the last last two days of March? Hopefully they will still be there for us to see and enjoy!

shari - 3-23-2011 at 11:53 AM

yes you can drive out to the lagoon no problema but there will be very few whales there....it is better at the mouth at that time...but the jury is out on that till the next census so we will see if they are staying later this year.

San Ignacio is a good place this time of year as the whales go there later so leave a bit later too....suerte amigos!

bradinbaja - 3-23-2011 at 01:47 PM

Just got back ourselves from Gurrero Negro and San Ignacio. Lots of very friendly whales in both locations but the babies were big and they will be leaving shortly.I'd call ahead and ask Terry or Gary at San Ignacio Springs what they think about their area.You can drive out to the lagoon at Gurrero and try your luck.

http://www.ignaciosprings.com/