BajaNomad

BBQed Tomatoes

Taco de Baja - 8-25-2004 at 01:13 PM

Ingredients:
several medium tomatoes
fresh basil
fresh rosemary

Cut the top off the tomato, just like you would if making a jack-o-lantern.

Use a spoon to core an inch to 2 inch diameter section from the middle of the tomato, leaving some meat in the bottom.

Place 6-8 basil leaves and a sprig of rosemary in the cored tomato, and replace the top.

Put tomato on the edge of the charcoal, or gas flame and cover. Rotate 1/4 turn every 3-4 minutes, keeping the stem end up.

Remove and enjoy. I discard the rosemary sprig, but cut up and eat the basil with the tomato. The heat will cause the skin to blacken and peel away, but that is OK.

JESSE - 8-25-2004 at 03:11 PM

Thats a Baja recipie? never heard of it in my years of being a local.

elizabeth - 8-29-2004 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

If you fill the tomato with cilantro, and a little epazote, and grill it in Baja, is it a Baja recipe then?:lol:

Germanicus - 8-29-2004 at 03:36 PM

If you grill'em in Baja and the tomatoes are not imported from Japan, than what?

JESSE - 8-29-2004 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elizabeth
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

If you fill the tomato with cilantro, and a little epazote, and grill it in Baja, is it a Baja recipe then?:lol:

Actually epazote is a relative new thing here in Baja, its more southern Mexico style than us, so it wouldnt qualify.;)

Taco de Baja - 8-30-2004 at 08:15 AM

So stuff a few Jalape?o slices in the tomato, Jesse. Will it qualify now?

How about some mezcal marinade?

However, I do recommend the original recipe. And even if it is not an "authentic baja recipe", they are very good. :P