BajaNomad

phone service provider (long distance /international)

Bajafun777 - 4-1-2011 at 12:15 PM

I will be in Baja for serval months and am looking for a good phone service that allows calls back to the USA. I am sure most of you have researched the topic and would appreciate any information and or recommendations you can provide me.

yellowklr - 4-1-2011 at 12:21 PM

Telcel is my favorite............

DENNIS - 4-1-2011 at 12:29 PM

I heard here....I think...that if you have Magic Jack hooked up to a WiFi enabled laptop in a Hot Zone, It will work.
Don't know for sure.

mulegejim - 4-1-2011 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
I will be in Baja for serval months and am looking for a good phone service that allows calls back to the USA. I am sure most of you have researched the topic and would appreciate any information and or recommendations you can provide me.

If you have high speed internet access, Skype has always worked well for me. Skype to Skype calls are free anywhere in the world - calls to a regular phone depend on the country you are calling to. Since you mentioned the US those calls are two cents a minute. Free download - no set up fee or monthly fee. More information at "Skype.com". Jim

Bob and Susan - 4-1-2011 at 03:31 PM

we use yahoo-messenger...one cent a minute

works very well with a dsl line

i found skype puts files on your computer
slowing it down a little
yahoo messenger doesn't

maspacifico - 4-1-2011 at 03:59 PM

I usually troll an XRap Rapala....but my reception has been lousy lately. Sunspots.

zforbes - 4-1-2011 at 07:54 PM

I use both Skype and MagicJack in Bahia Asuncion. With Skype I usually prearrange a time to chat; MJ allows free calls to US or other MJ user and I use it as my main number. I chose a San Diego area code, but you can specifiy what you want.

El Comadante Loco - 4-1-2011 at 10:47 PM

I use skype on my Iphone when ever I can find a WIfi connection. Have also used it with a Hughes Satellite wifi however this is a slow, slow connection but in a pinch it's better than nothing.
I now use Nettalk on my Iphone to call back home where ever there is wifi.. I find Nettalk to provide better voice quality than Skype and it's free not that skype cost too much..