BajaNomad

Great White Shark caught in Los Frailes...confirmed.

fishabductor - 4-4-2011 at 12:58 PM

I just caught wind of a 500 kilo Great White shark being caught out of Los Frailes in recent times. Supposively it was caught by the commercial guys, and it took them a long time to land it.

The water has been cold enough for this shark and after watching/video'ing Orca's eating Rays a while back...I don't wouldn't doubt that GW's could live here in the winter months.

Anyone else hear about this?

[Edited on 4-5-2011 by fishabductor]

baitcast - 4-4-2011 at 04:32 PM

Had a hellva time with this guy:lol: Santa Rosalia

fishabductor - 4-4-2011 at 04:44 PM

baitcast

when was that photo taken?

baitcast - 4-4-2011 at 04:51 PM

Like most of my pic,s a few years ago:lol:
Rob

2004 Santa Rosalia - Great White Shark Netted

Pompano - 4-4-2011 at 05:07 PM

One big SOB...

fishabductor - 4-4-2011 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

One big SOB...

I came across this article this morning...it must be from the same guy on a different forum...
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?listbyuser=...

Cortez White Shark!

That's right people Great White sharks in the Sea of Cortez! It was a little more than a week ago when fishing with my friend Alan
Lewis of the Voo Doo lounge San Lucas cove trailer park had mentioned our friend Brenda Goodson owner/operator Santa Rosalia
Las Casitas hotel said some fishermen north of town caught a Great White shark. So with this info, both of us somewhat disregarded
the rumor as folklore, due to the fact no one around local fish camps where talking about it...... word of such an unusual catch would surely make for good chit chat. Now a few days pass.... I'm at my house working on the computer and a knock on my study door, it's my mother in law asking me if I'd enlarge a photo for someone, which I do by scanner all the time, mostly old faded family photos. This time it wasn't a family..... it was a photo of a real big shark with three guys standing behind it.... A Great White shark! holy s%#& got
up of my butt, went outside to see who brought this photo, it was one of the panga taxi operators here on the Isla, Juan, I asked where did you get this photo? when was it taken? he replied September 27. By the time of me finding out, it was well late, over a week and still took me another one to get all the info for a story and particulars on this sharks capture. We now know and confirmed yes there are
white sharks in the Sea of Cortez as once before not truly fact but more fiction. The shark was caught in a gill net intended for other types of sharks the likes of threshers, makos, and hammerheads...... now look you ecologists don't get your panties all up in a knot, these guys got to fish, eat, support a family, and live just like us by what ever means they can and most of all it's their country not yours.
The white was an estimated 700 kilos 1500 pounds and had a length of nearly 18 feet. The area the fish was captured is called Caleta De Santa Maria about 5-7 miles north of Santa Rosalia, water at this time of year was in the low 80s..... strange warm water for white sharks as far as I know and being from/fishing/surfing San Francisco Ca. my younger life, which is also known as the bloody triangle,
through that white sharks favored cooler water. Another note, after Brenda Goodson and Justio Moreno Flores ( engineer for API )
interviewed the fishermen for my story, were told by the fishing family that they had seen 5 whites from May to now this year alone!
That should put a twist on the next time I dive for scallops! For more info on this shark story check out my report to Mexfish.com
or e-mail me at kidjurel@mac.com Till next time..... and if you're diving in the Cortez and you see a big fish smiling at you .... swim real fast! San Marcos Mike

it was originally posted 10/11/04..4 days before the article above was printed.

[Edited on 4-5-2011 by fishabductor]

BajaBruno - 4-4-2011 at 10:59 PM

A year or two ago the Monterey Bay Aquarium released their juvenile great white shark because s/he started eating the other fish in the tank. They put a GPS tag on it and I followed it on the TOPP website--it went straight south to Cabo, turned north into the SOC, and then bounced around from east to west until, I guess, the battery gave out. That track surprised me, but apparently they are comfortable in there.

Pompano - 4-5-2011 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
A year or two ago the Monterey Bay Aquarium released their juvenile great white shark because s/he started eating the other fish in the tank. They put a GPS tag on it and I followed it on the TOPP website--it went straight south to Cabo, turned north into the SOC, and then bounced around from east to west until, I guess, the battery gave out. That track surprised me, but apparently they are comfortable in there.

It brings to mind the motive operandi of trapping your prey in a box canyon rather than on the open plains......like our prehistoric ancestors hunting bison?

Well, okay...so I have a vivid imagination.

fishabductor - 4-5-2011 at 02:15 PM

It has been confirmed...A great white was caught in los frailes. My buddy saw the jaws, and spoke with the guys that caught it.

LaloinBaja - 4-5-2011 at 02:29 PM

In Cabo Pulmo in the 70's...I was diving for oysters just north...Saw a Great White... swimming (finning) toward me...Scrambled back into my Zodiac...It bit the side and popped one of the air cells...We limped back to Pulmo...Scared sh--t--less...We still dove around there..but with more caution...Lalo

baitcast - 4-5-2011 at 02:36 PM

These belong to the Santa Rosalia fish:o

Oso - 4-5-2011 at 04:30 PM

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81412977/