BajaNomad

Chumpos and a little extra protein

mcfez - 4-6-2011 at 11:34 AM

I know! The pics are big....will revise this soon today. Sorry folks.

I like to try a few new eateries whenever I travel.
Baja is no exception.

But this Chumpos is!
Located in San Felipe, down the street from the Green House Restaurant. It serves as Thrifty's Ice Cream as well. Outside seating is nice. The head waiter is a riot....must be on happy meds.

So I ordered hotcakes, bacon, and sunny side up eggs. Grand Slam some would say. Oh...a good cup of coffee.

The hot cakes were perfectly thick and round (yes....cooked in a pan mold) ........perfectly made for spare tires of your 4W truck! Dry as hell, tasteless....even ol Sparky Dog walked away from a offering. Well...I am indeed starving and must eat.

Pouring the maple syrup onto tires....er...hot cakes....a freaking fly comes with the pour. Mmmmm good Hot cake McFly.

I do recommend this joint? Need I say?

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by mcfez]

chumpo.jpg - 50kB

DENNIS - 4-6-2011 at 11:59 AM

Flies in the syrup. That is gross.
Remember the old Brando movie, Viva Zapata? Brando and Zorba commenting on the flies in the pulque? That was gross too.

mcfez - 4-6-2011 at 12:58 PM

Yeah DENNIS.....that fly came right out of the dispenser. Bugs dont bother me a lot....but bugs in my food....:fire:

I tell our visitors that stay with us in Baja....never leave your cola container uncovered. Flys in Coke are bad. Hornets are worst! Cigarette butts are hell! (yeah...did that too)

[Edited on 4-6-2011 by mcfez]

rts551 - 4-6-2011 at 01:14 PM

Your absolutely correct. Never leave your cola uncovered.

cabo3100 - 4-6-2011 at 01:23 PM

Owned a restaurant, had a deck that held forty, full on Mothers Day a flock of forty give or take a few Canadian Geese did a fly bye, u can finish the story:fire::fire::fire:

DENNIS - 4-6-2011 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Drink Diet soda. Bugs don't care so much for chemicals.

DENNIS - 4-6-2011 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabo3100
Owned a restaurant, had a deck that held forty, full on Mothers Day a flock of forty give or take a few Canadian Geese did a fly bye, u can finish the story:fire::fire::fire:

:lol::lol::lol: The place had to look like a Jackson Pollock Painting.

http://artmiser.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/30pollock_lg.jpg

rts551 - 4-6-2011 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Drink Diet soda. Bugs don't care so much for chemicals.

I was referring to a different "cola"

DENNIS - 4-6-2011 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
I was referring to a different "cola"

Oh. In that case, I agree.

c-ckroaches

doradodan - 4-6-2011 at 07:39 PM

That place sucks high prices, flies and terrible food. Like the rest of San Felipe.

dtbushpilot - 4-6-2011 at 08:29 PM

I took a drink of my soda after a bee crawled in it (unbeknownst to me of course). I got stung on the lip before I could spit it out, swelled up like an empenada. I haven't been able to drink soda from a can without worrying about it since......dt

mcfez - 4-6-2011 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doradodan
That place sucks high prices, flies and terrible food. Like the rest of San Felipe.

Well wait a minute now :-) Watch for my next review here ;D

akshadow - 4-6-2011 at 08:42 PM

many people I know like Chumpos

Deno you said the honey you looked at was Toooo filtered. Now you get unfiltered syrup and you don't like it. Any way to keep you satisfied?

I will skip syrup there.

mulegemichael - 4-6-2011 at 08:50 PM

dt; why are you drinking sodas????

dtbushpilot - 4-6-2011 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
dt; why are you drinking sodas????

Don't worry about me mike, I learned my lesson long ago, bees don't like beer, it's been a long time since I've had a soda....

CDB - 4-6-2011 at 10:02 PM

If the ever present flies bother you try La Cabana. Clean, good food, nice people and the prices aren't bad. On Ensanada two blocks off of Mar Caribe.(toward the ocean)

CDB - 4-6-2011 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow

Deno you said the honey you looked at was Toooo filtered. Now you get unfiltered syrup and you don't like it. Any way to keep you satisfied?

I will skip syrup there.

ROFLMAO!! Good one.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mcfez - 4-6-2011 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow

I will skip syrup there.

Well Ron.....I think ol Ellis here was chumping down on my fly's mate
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

chu.jpg - 46kB

meme - 4-7-2011 at 08:07 AM

We had breakfast at Chumpos last week also with the same results on the hot cakes, fortunately no flies in syrup but thought it also was watery & tasteless.
Try the greenhouse just across the street next time mcfez, we have ordered the same fare there & it was great & no flies in ur food plus less $$$$!!

meme - 4-7-2011 at 08:09 AM

BTW- I for one will be awaiting more resturant reviews from you also.:tumble:

AmoPescar - 4-7-2011 at 01:00 PM

CHUMPOS ???

SO...I was wondering...is that the name of the place OR did you feel like... CHUMPOS after eating there???

Miguelamo :?: :spingrin: :bounce: :lol:

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
CHUMPOS ???

SO...I was wondering...is that the name of the place OR did you feel like... CHUMPOS after eating there???

Miguelamo :?: :spingrin: :bounce: :lol:

I didnt do much "Chompo'ing after see the fly :-)

pseo.jpg - 47kB

AmoPescar - 4-7-2011 at 01:30 PM

We were on a family shopping trip to the old FEDCO store in OC years ago and decided to get a bite to eat in the Deli on the way out.

My son ordered some type of sandwich and when he opened it to add a condiment there was a big dead fly sitting in the middle of it.

Funny how our shopping trips never cost as much after that...the kids never wanted a snack from there again!

Miguelamo :lol: :lol: :lol:

David K - 4-7-2011 at 01:45 PM

A TUNA Pizza??? Maybe as good as a FISH Taco???

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 04:56 PM

I hate thick pancakes

I also hate taking a sip of pop and getting stung in the mouth...besides my heart doc recommends that I drink a few beers a day...got to like that. Beer is now considered medicine in this household.

And while I am an omnivor...I don't like protein in my maple syrup...

speaking of Pizza's...the los cabos costco is now serving shrimp pizza's and shrimp bakes!

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by fishabductor]

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
I hate thick pancakes

I also hate taking a sip of pop and getting stung in the mouth...besides my heart doc recommends that I drink a few beers a day...got to like that. Beer is now considered medicine in this household.

And while I am an omnivor...I don't like protein in my maple syrup...

speaking of Pizza's...the los cabos costco is now serving shrimp pizza's and shrimp bakes!

Now shrimp bakes sounds great...but shrimp pizza?

[Edited on 4-7-2011 by fishabductor]

AmoPescar - 4-7-2011 at 06:59 PM

:fire: THICK Pancakes are the worst thing ever!!! :no: :P

I like to make em at home using Krusteaz Buttermilk mix...

I mix em at a 1 to 1 ratio of water to mix. Makes great p-cakes that don't soak up gallons of syrup!

Miguelamo :yes: :tumble: :D