BajaNomad

How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?

Pompano - 4-7-2011 at 12:29 PM

Wow..one barrel of crude oil now sells for $110 USD.

The pump price of gasoline in now from $3.70 to $5.00 per gallon. (Hawaii is currently the highest)

Diesel is just as bad.

Just a year ago, the average price was almost $2 per gallon cheaper!

How will that expense affect your travel and vacation plans?

Groan...I wish I could magically transport a motorhome 4000 miles from here...:yes:

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 12:31 PM

Where is the teleporter(the transportation thingy in Startrek) when we need one..

The scientist should be working on this, rather than alternative fuels...:lol:

absinvestor - 4-7-2011 at 12:36 PM

Other than me complaining everytime I fill up the motorhome the price of gas won't effect our travel. A couple of years ago we drove from Denver to Alaska and we paid the equivalent of $5/us gallon in Canada. Over $300 US to fill up our 80+gallon tank but we travel with dogs and hotels etc just don't work for us. We typically put about 20,000 miles a year on the motorhome.

LancairDriver - 4-7-2011 at 01:50 PM

With my 40 ft. diesel pusher on my last trip I figured it was close to half a buck per mile to operate at US diesel fuel prices. Of course Pemex prices look a lot better now. Filling the 100 gallon fuel tank definitely has you looking at the gas card or peso supply. For myself and others I have talked to, we will be watching the miles carefully and probably going to places closer to home.

bajalou - 4-7-2011 at 01:57 PM

And just when I'm really wanting to 'hit the road'.

capt. mike - 4-7-2011 at 03:05 PM

when a vaca beckons i am not caring what the gas costs.
life is way too short - live it. here for a good time, not a long time.

doesn't mean i'll do as MANY trips but good R&R is a necessity for sanity if one works for a living.

i get 13 nautical MPG point to point on $5 worth of avgas but do it at 180 MPH.

i don't mind speding money to save time.

if i owned a moho or gas hog ground rig i'd be dumping it.

Riom - 4-7-2011 at 03:45 PM

Gas is still a bargain in North America, so I'm still going to be on the road this summer (especially as I didn't go anywhere last year).

In the US gas averages a bit over $3.60/gallon, compared to $2.90 in Mexico. Western Canada is about $5/gallon, and it's a little above that in Australia and New Zealand.

But in Europe (which is where I used to do long road trips and commuting), it's around $8 to 8.50 in most countries, with some like Norway over $9/US gallon. So even at $3.60/gallon, it still feels cheap!

Rob

Frank - 4-7-2011 at 04:01 PM

We are still driving down again this year. Once we come over that rise and see Conception Bay, I forget all about the price of fuel.

I like Capt Mikes saying...

"life is way too short - live it. here for a good time, not a long time"

motoged - 4-7-2011 at 04:03 PM

Gas is presently $1.32 a litre in town here in BC...

Less beer money for Baja:no:

vandenberg - 4-7-2011 at 04:10 PM

Received amongst a bunch of other ones this morning.:biggrin:

FwTuesda.jpg - 18kB

vandenberg - 4-7-2011 at 04:13 PM

Another one.:biggrin:

Gas prices.jpg - 19kB

DanO - 4-7-2011 at 04:17 PM

Hawaii may be the most expensive gas-wise, but we won't be doing a great deal of driving when we're there later this year. It's usually limited to the drive from Lihue Airport to the rental house in Hanalei and back, plus one or two trips to the market and a couple of dinners out. Maybe a quarter of a tank. I think I can handle that.

Martyman - 4-7-2011 at 04:20 PM

No it won't. But I talked my friend into driving next month

fishabductor - 4-7-2011 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Received amongst a bunch of other ones this morning.:biggrin:

I love them both!:lol:

Bajahowodd - 4-7-2011 at 04:22 PM

On one hand, I can understand the angst amongst those who drive leviathan gas guzzlers. But that aside, whether it's the media, or not, regular folks up North just seem to go bonkers over the price of a gallon of gas. At the end of the day, putting a couple of bucks more into a tankfull just doesn't seem to me a reason to go ballistic.

That said, my beef is with the commodity speculators who drive up the price with only one thought in mind- their own profit.

Granted, this is a global economy, but, the crap going on in Libya mostly affects the Europeans, who struck a bargain with the devil. Some countries such as Italy rely on Libya for the majority of their oil.

The US does not rely on Libyan crude. So in a world absent greedy commodity speculators, the pump price in the US should have not risen much at all.

Folks in Mexico benefit from the government control of prices. The greedy speculators cannot drive up the price of petrol in Mexico, unless Pemex wishes to allow it.

acadist - 4-7-2011 at 07:32 PM

The only difference is I will hit Ensenada on empty, and fill up with Pemex earlier than normal. May drive the Mountaineer instead of the F150, pick up 4-5 mpg. That is a significant savings on a 6k mile round trip from Denver to La Paz.

Bob H - 4-7-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Gas is still a bargain in North America, so I'm still going to be on the road this summer (especially as I didn't go anywhere last year).

In the US gas averages a bit over $3.60/gallon, compared to $2.90 in Mexico. Western Canada is about $5/gallon, and it's a little above that in Australia and New Zealand.

But in Europe (which is where I used to do long road trips and commuting), it's around $8 to 8.50 in most countries, with some like Norway over $9/US gallon. So even at $3.60/gallon, it still feels cheap!

Rob

I totally agree! On our last rental car treck through Germany a little over a year ago we were paying around $8/gallon US. We still have it good.

And, like Capt Mike says... go and do while you can. Life's to damn short and there is nothing we can do about it.

Bajaboy - 4-7-2011 at 07:40 PM

To me, it's not just the increase in gasoline prices but all the other increases that go along with oil prices....food, plastics, etc. Regardless of what people might claim here, people only have so much disposable income. If everyone is paying an extra $70 bucks per month on gas that translates to $70 less to spend on other things....and thus the economic recovery begins to stall. So to me, a few extra bucks on gas is not the issue but the greater economy instead.

Bob H - 4-7-2011 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
To me, it's not just the increase in gasoline prices but all the other increases that go along with oil prices....food, plastics, etc. Regardless of what people might claim here, people only have so much disposable income. If everyone is paying an extra $70 bucks per month on gas that translates to $70 less to spend on other things....and thus the economic recovery begins to stall. So to me, a few extra bucks on gas is not the issue but the greater economy instead.

Good point! But, the cost of living has been going up for years and years and years, and will continue to do so.

People must factor in all of this during retirement planning.

I remember when gas was 19-cents/gallon in 1966, when I had my first car! A 1962 Ford Falcon, six cylinder, 3-on the tree shifter!

Times constantly change!

bajalou - 4-7-2011 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
O At the end of the day, putting a couple of bucks more into a tankfull just doesn't seem to me a reason to go ballistic.

More like $20 additional bucks to fill up (and not from a empty tank) in my Bronco. Going from around $3 to about $4 is more than a little increase.

Calif increase $.96 per gallon increase from last year.

mcfez - 4-7-2011 at 10:11 PM

Lou.....your Bronco little short on fuel leaving my place last week?

100531siphoning.jpg - 28kB

capt. mike - 4-8-2011 at 06:00 AM

if you track gas $$ increases over time w/ inflation and using a bench of say 1975 - you'll find that gas has gone up less than food and many other commodities relatively speaking.

gas has stayed below the inflation rate typically.

Milk has gone up more.

woody with a view - 4-8-2011 at 06:09 AM

looking forward to a hot summer and good waves in baja. gas is over $1 cheaper in baja so be like capt mike and just go....

Pompano - 4-8-2011 at 06:11 AM

The barrel price of oil just now went up to $111 barrel.

A 30% increase in crude oil prices since the Libyan conflict began.

How will these fuel costs,which are rising steadily, affect your future vacations or travels?

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by Pompano]

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 06:51 AM

Pompano, No long distance travel/vacation plans till next winter. Expect fuel prices to be even higher by then. If people don't have to travel they'll just stay home. Feel sorry for people that have long commutes. The cost of everything else will also be going up. Inflation!!! The govt. does not include energy and food costs when factoring inflation. That's real voodoo economics. The only things losing value are real estate and gas guzzlers.

Diver - 4-8-2011 at 06:55 AM

$4.15 per gallon for diesel in WA.
Cost over $135 to fill my truck versus $90 last year.
For our 3 cars it averages over $600 more per month than last year !!
$7,200 per year more than last year; THAT is not chump change !!

It's not the cost of fuel for a trip to Baja that keeps us from going; it's the increased monthly costs.

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

For our 3 cars it averages over $600 more per month than last year !!
$7,200 per year more than last year; THAT is not chump change !!

crikey! that's a lot of fuel! what are you running? a fleet of taxis?

vandenberg - 4-8-2011 at 09:43 AM

Another.:no::no:

auction [1600x1200].jpg - 46kB

fishabductor - 4-8-2011 at 09:50 AM

my father now leaves the truck/trailer at home and drives a small car on trips. He figures he can stay in a hotel for cheaper than it costs to travel per day in a 8mph rig. However this is only true for short trips, on a long trip it is cheaper to haul the trailer.

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 11:51 AM

With the restrictions placed on drilling in the US imposed by the current administration, the fuel/energy situation has zero chance of improving. We now have "change". And "hope"? Buy a lottery ticket!:(

give a hoot don't pollute

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2011 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
With the restrictions placed on drilling in the US imposed by the current administration, the fuel/energy situation has zero chance of improving. We now have "change". And "hope"? Buy a lottery ticket!:(

is this thread about cost of fuel for your RV??????

it is RIDICULOUS that you want to despoil natural areas so you can drive your gas hogs to enjoy natural areas.

i value open space and wilderness more than my ability to drive a gas hog in open space and wilderness. would rather ride my bike to the natural area than drive an RV to the natural area and find it scarred by drilling derricks, pumps, pipelines and strip mines.

increased drilling/production in US would not produce enough petroleum to change global commodity pricing. the multinationals would still price petroleum on basis of world market. drilling in our national parks, wildlife preserves and sensitive coastal areas will not result in lower petroleum prices, but will cause irreversible harm and scarring of land.

face it, boys and girls, the world has billions of people, population is increasing, and the remaining petroleum is increasingly expensive to produce and reserves are diminishing. fuel prices will always be volatile, and will always be increasing.

ween yourself from petroleum! think global, act local! yes we can! hope! peace out!

drive your prius to the SOC and rent a boat when you arrive. you don't need to burn petroleum to haul your own boat when local boats are available for hire.

be green! reduce your carbon footprint!

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 01:11 PM

Jeez! Somehow life goe's on. And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2011 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.

don't understand your question. i suppose nothing will "happen to you."

your choice to buy a gas guzzler was your choice. whatever "happens to you" was due to your choosing.

Pompano - 4-8-2011 at 02:00 PM

In my case, I will soon be selling (read: 'giving away') my gas 460 in the 35' RV in favor of a shorter diesel that burns diesel/oganic. I'll be the camper smelling faintly of french fries... with 50 drooling dogs hot on my caboose.

Cypress - 4-8-2011 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.

don't understand your question. i suppose nothing will "happen to you."

your choice to buy a gas guzzler was your choice. whatever "happens to you" was due to your choosing.

Thanks, That's my point. "My choosing"! I can live with that.:biggrin:

windgrrl - 4-8-2011 at 03:03 PM

Will continue to drive the speed limit.:smug: Possibly leave the towed parked in Baja next season.

Baja12valve - 4-8-2011 at 05:33 PM

Personally, I am all for high gas (and water) prices. To initiate any change, to initiate any thinking, we need to get hit where it hurts, the wallet. WAY too many unnecessary gas hogs on the road, WAY too much unnecessary consumption. We just need to get it out of our heads that cheap gas is some sort of right. Drilling for more, opening up more open space trying to maintain the status quo is not the answer. I spent 4 weeks in Europe last Fall, plenty of cars and traffic over there with sky high prices.
My real question is what will be the profits on the oil companies and how much tax will they pay. I will gladly bet better than even money that profits will be at record levels and they will pay zero tax. That part is criminal and I do have a problem with that.

mcfez - 4-9-2011 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

is this thread about cost of fuel for your RV??????

it is RIDICULOUS that you want to despoil natural areas so you can drive your gas hogs to enjoy natural areas.

i value open space and wilderness more than my ability to drive a gas hog in open space and wilderness. would rather ride my bike to the natural area than drive an RV to the natural area and find it scarred by drilling derricks, pumps, pipelines and strip mines.

increased drilling/production in US would not produce enough petroleum to change global commodity pricing. the multinationals would still price petroleum on basis of world market. drilling in our national parks, wildlife preserves and sensitive coastal areas will not result in lower petroleum prices, but will cause irreversible harm and scarring of land.

face it, boys and girls, the world has billions of people, population is increasing, and the remaining petroleum is increasingly expensive to produce and reserves are diminishing. fuel prices will always be volatile, and will always be increasing.

ween yourself from petroleum! think global, act local! yes we can! hope! peace out!

drive your prius to the SOC and rent a boat when you arrive. you don't need to burn petroleum to haul your own boat when local boats are available for hire.

be green! reduce your carbon footprint!

I bet you dont car pool goat.
Much less own a electric vehicle.

BTW: RV abbreviation not only for a Motor home....boats is in the classification too. Should we rent out motocross and quads too?

Oh Gods! But you dont mind riding your bike thru downtown where you live.....you know....where land was once virgin and pristine. Your statements are so "out there".

men.jpg - 42kB

How about truckers

wessongroup - 4-9-2011 at 08:17 AM

Should ask the truckers... about how they deal with it....

Bought a Peugeot diesel in 1975, think it was around .19-.21 a gallon... at the time..

Great car, put over 300,000 on it... with only repair being the generator... had to make a new bushing for it... the cost to have repaired at agency was ridiculous... seems they wanted like 600 for the part, plus labor... of three hours ...

Sold it when the clutch went out, down in San Diego... a fixer upper.. would drive all day at 75 mph and get 34 mpg... also used it for wood cutting, had a box trailer .... which could hold a cord...

Was always fun to see guys, with 4 x 4 up cutting wood on logging roads... and I showed up with a diesel car...... pulling a trailer... worked fine.. upgraded to a Doge 3/4 with racks and the trailer... ended up cutting more wood than I could split by myself... had to take "rounds" back down... and that was fun loading all by ones self...

Aaaahhhhhh the cutting of wood to heat your home... something I don't miss to much ... still liked being out there, early morning .... with my old dog.. Trouble.. a Border Collie/McNab mix... excellent dog... RIP ....

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by wessongroup]

Bob H - 4-9-2011 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
if you track gas $$ increases over time w/ inflation and using a bench of say 1975 - you'll find that gas has gone up less than food and many other commodities relatively speaking.

Milk has gone up more.

Mike, if you are tracking the rising cost of fuel -vs- the rising cost of milk... you have way too much time on your hands. But, I like it!

1975 re-visited

wessongroup - 4-9-2011 at 09:21 AM

just for fun... went looking.. and found:

Todays price at the Ralph's just down the hill.. 3.62/gallon

and gas at the Mobil station also just down the hill ... 4.24 for regular this morning... gas vs milk ... think ya can get to work, with out a glass of milk... not too sure about getting to work without a gallon of gas...

inflation, controlled by gas prices... if all your dough has to go to the tank.... then the other prices will stay somewhat lower.... as one only has so much money to spend each paycheck... pretty basic stuff... called priorities..

Think a lot of folks are just about to hit the wall.... IMHO

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by wessongroup]

watizname - 4-9-2011 at 10:18 AM

Yesterday, filling my truck in Ojai. $4.09/ gal. 80 bucks from about half to full. How's that "hope and change" workin out for ya. Not quite the change I had hoped for.:cool:

bajalou - 4-9-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Milk has gone up more.

I guess I need to learn you approach to math.

$1.57 a gal for milk to around $3.00 a gal is just around doubled in 35 years.

$ .57 a gal for gas to around $4.00 a gal is over 7 times the cost in the same 35 years.

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items

Jan 1975 --- 52.300
Jan 2011 --- 221.062

CPI - a little over 4 times 1975
Gasoline - a bit over 7 times 1974

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by bajalou]

monoloco - 4-10-2011 at 06:15 AM

Don't worry Capt. Mike never lets facts interfere with his opinions.

capt. mike - 4-10-2011 at 07:31 AM

i stand corrected on the milk.

i think i got it confused with another consumable that was referred to in another news item.

any way my point stands that gas cost goes up along with everything else and not as fast as many other items.

the current spike is a vagary too if you consider we had $4 two years ago and it went back to $2.60

now it's high 3s and it can just as easlily go back lower.

Marc - 4-11-2011 at 07:20 PM

I drive a $120K Porsche. I really don't care what it costs to drive it.:cool::cool::cool:
Mexican gas feeds my Tundra.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bajaboy - 4-11-2011 at 07:32 PM

Unfortunately comparing the price of milk to gasoline is a somewhat moot point in that the dairy industry is subsidized by the US Government. I assumed this was common knowledge:?: but maybe not.

For more info do a Google Search or here is a brief by the Cato Institute:
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6764

Pompano - 4-12-2011 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately comparing the price of milk to gasoline is a somewhat moot point in that the dairy industry is subsidized by the US Government. I assumed this was common knowledge:?: but maybe not.

(I'll shanghai my fuel price question for a quick note: As you probably know, Bajaboy, there is little in US agriculture that is NOT subsidized by our government these days...sugar beets, milk, cheese, wheat, corn, ethanol fuel, etc. etc....the list is long. A great injustice to our capitalist democracy and economy are huge zero-interest loans & payoffs to any 'needy' who sign up with opportunist lawyers as a 'farmer', but who don't actually farm or know how to farm. They do know how to take advantage of our 'system', though..and do very well.)

Back to the price of fuel and how it will affect your travel plans....the national average has gone up a penny a day for the last month. Now at $3.79 average nationwide.

Maybe Nomads should have a lottery as to when it will get to $5 gallon?

wessongroup - 4-12-2011 at 09:03 AM

Great point about our Farmers.... as they really get hit on these fuel increases big time... using fuel in ag production is essential.. and increased costs can only be passed on... which is fair in my book...

And would offer.. we still get some of the best food and fiber in the world, that is produced within the United States... and given all costs increases over the years.... food is still the best buy one can get... even if bacon is up to 5.35 a pound, and milk 3.62 or so a gallon... we still get to eat awfully damn good in the united states... every time I think about walking down the isles in a super market here in the States... with the unbelievable selection ... well, lets just say it is some kind of feat the farming industry accomplishes ....

A shout out for the farmer... who can still produce given the difficult conditions they face.. a hard job... glad there are those that still love it...

Yeah, I know some get paid not to plant ... what's perfect...

[Edited on 4-12-2011 by wessongroup]

mtgoat666 - 4-12-2011 at 09:27 AM

Quote:

petroleum is subsidized too! our military is mostly focused on countries with oil (iraq, libya, middle east, etc.)
i think that petroleum production is the MOST SUBSIDIZED industry in our economy,... not even counting the numerous tax breaks and loopholes established for upstream and downstream petroleum.

if all of us drove econo cars, put solar on our roofs, wore a sweater to cut the cold, and quit building mcmmansions, we could cut our defense spending by 70%

how many young soldiers died in the last 10 years to supply oil for your RVs? do you sleep well at night knowing that american teenagers are dieing every week in Iraq so you can get cheap petroleum?

[Edited on 4-12-2011 by mtgoat666]

Sweet (Crude) Dreams.

MrBillM - 4-12-2011 at 06:12 PM

Sleeping OK, Thanks.

Can't think of a better reason to take over the Third-World than keeping my Dodge V-8s pumping.

It doesn't seem to be working that well, though.

Maybe we need to Kill more. OK by me.

Allah will take care of them.

Virgins and all.

No Beer, though.

Personally, I'd rather have a Worn-**** that's been around the Block for eternity if it meant there would still be Heineken.

BTW, Goatchit, criticizing Ol Skeeter's verbiage looks a little STUPID when you write things like "DIEING".

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MrBillM]

mojo_norte - 4-12-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Sleeping OK, Thanks.

Can't think of a better reason to take over the Third-World than keeping my Dodge V-8s pumping.

It doesn't seem to be working that well, though.

Maybe we need to Kill more. OK by me.

Allah will take care of them.

Virgins and all.

No Beer, though.

Personally, I'd rather have a Worn-**** that's been around the Block for eternity if it meant there would still be Heineken.

BTW, Goatchit, criticizing Ol Skeeter's verbiage looks a little STUPID when you write things like "DIEING".

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MrBillM]

Huh?! - Am I missing something? - I find your outlook on foreign policy a bit out of line and scary

capt. mike - 4-13-2011 at 05:17 AM

"if all of us drove econo cars, put solar on our roofs, wore a sweater to cut the cold, and quit building mcmmansions, we could cut our defense spending by 70%"

???????? where the hell do you get that statistic?:lol::lol::lol::P

wessongroup - 4-13-2011 at 05:26 AM

Foreign policy, now there's a topic of disscussion... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-13-2011 at 05:57 AM

I remember in the very early 70's the price of a gallon of gasoline on a military base where I was stationed cost me .25 cents a gallon. WTF is happening now. Let’s get off our duff and start drilling for more oil here in our own country and get more refineries up and going. How does our government expect us poor working class people to afford the prices we are currently paying to get to work to keep our country running? Something is going to have to give soon.

Cypress - 4-13-2011 at 06:11 AM

The fact is, other than those fortunate few with money to burn, the rising fuel costs will put a damper on all activities that require travel. The extra cash spent on fuel will leave less for other activities. Life is full of "Ifs". The current US policy on drilling for oil is.... What is the current US policy on drilling for oil? For that matter, is there a current US policy on anything?

wessongroup - 4-13-2011 at 06:16 AM

Ditto's .. Cyporess

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2011 at 06:32 AM

Quote:
The fact is, other than those fortunate few with money to burn, the rising fuel costs will put a damper on all activities that require travel. The extra cash spent on fuel will leave less for other activities. Life is full of "Ifs". The current US policy on drilling for oil is.... What is the current US policy on drilling for oil? For that matter, is there a current US policy on anything?

i see you poor people were pretty stupid to buy gas guzzlers.

drilling for oil in anwr will not affect the price at the pump.

sell your stupid gas guzzlers, and never worry about price of gasoline again

Cypress - 4-13-2011 at 06:43 AM

mtgoat666, Do your parents know you're on the computer?:lol:

wessongroup - 4-13-2011 at 07:03 AM

Hey goat what do you ride... bicycle ? or what kind of mileage do you get with what ever you drive... and what is the cost of operation per mile...

Have a Honda CRV .47/per mile, all city driving.. get about 22 mpg
Ford Crown Vic... .56/mile get 26 mpg doing 70 with the air on & a load
Cad DeVille .88/mile " "
Bronco .............. don't know, it's only for emergency.. ya know, like earthquakes and such... it's an 1986 with 214,000 on it.. an runs just fine... and parts are very cheap.. on all except the Cad..

We also have bicycles... but, I can't ride any more... we both are too old for that route... figure if it's really bad.. the kid can use the Bronco and get out of Dodge.. with that... and could just leave us here,.. that way one can make it...

It's all set up, with everything ya need for an emergecy, food, water, shelther, guns, ammo, fishing equipment, and some tools for various types of repairs.

Tanks holds 33 gallons, is full all the time.. plus have another two jerry cans that will load up on the roof for an additional few more miles...

The best mileage, 22 mpg, south bound to Mexico... staying at 55... think if I slowed down even more... might have gotten even better...

Oh, just checked with Edmunds.com ... the 4d Hatchback Pirus operational cost... .50 cents a mile.....

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by wessongroup]

Bajaboy - 4-13-2011 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
I remember in the very early 70's the price of a gallon of gasoline on a military base where I was stationed cost me .25 cents a gallon. WTF is happening now. Let’s get off our duff and start drilling for more oil here in our own country and get more refineries up and going. How does our government expect us poor working class people to afford the prices we are currently paying to get to work to keep our country running? Something is going to have to give soon.

Do you really think a few more refineries and increased drilling is going to have a dramatic impact on the price of gasoline:?:

What you might save a few pennies per gallon and then you could afford to drive to the beach and take in the beautiful sight of offshore oil platforms. What a great idea:o

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-13-2011 at 09:10 AM

Bajaboy

I have no idea what the price of gasoline would be if we drilled for more oil and opened other refineries, but I'm sure it would be more than pennies and it would surely be a step in the right direction.

David K - 4-13-2011 at 09:19 AM

What is sad is that basic economics is missing from public education... If demand is high, and supply is low... prices go UP.

If supply increases, prices go down!

How can more oil be a bad thing? :rolleyes:

The U.S. has greater reserves than Saudi Arabia... until fusion power or dilythium crystals are invented... we need the oil.

monoloco - 4-13-2011 at 09:32 AM

The current high price of fuel has nothing to do with supply/demand issues.

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2011 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What is sad is that basic economics is missing from public education... If demand is high, and supply is low... prices go UP.

The U.S. has greater reserves than Saudi Arabia... until fusion power or dilythium crystals are invented... we need the oil.

you make a good argument for conservation, reducing demand, increasing CAFE vehicle standards, penalty taxes on gas guzzlers, more roadway dollars for mass transit and bikes, alternative energy, etc.

why not pursue conservation, and save our wild/scenic areas for enjoyment of all?

or would you prefer to drill anwr and shell island, strip mine the oil sands of CO and WY, turn the wilderness into wasteland -- all so you can drive your gas guzzler to camp next to the oil shale strip mine and enjoy the aroma blowing off the waste water ponds?

wessongroup - 4-13-2011 at 10:00 AM

The more ya pump... the faster it will be gone.... think there is something called "Peak Oil" or is that another concept which is not founded in science, rather perspective... it is after all a finite resource... there is only so much...

And pushing more out the exhaust pipe can only have greater and quicker impact on other "eco systems" on the planet... in most cases negatively...

We got to think a bit harder about this issue... as it is KILLING us....

Bajaboy - 4-13-2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

DK-I'm not really certain where you get your "facts" but the US does not have greater reserves than Saudi Arabia....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil...

An education is a beautiful thing to waste...please turn off Fox News

TMW - 4-13-2011 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
DK-I'm not really certain where you get your "facts" but the US does not have greater reserves than Saudi Arabia....

I'm not so sure than the data Wikipedia shows is correct. This mornings paper has a long article on the Belridge oil field here in Kern county and they said there are 4.4 billion barrels still in the ground. That would be 25% of what Wiki says the US has. They've taken out 1.6 billion barrels since 1911 when it was discovered. It's an area 22 mile long and 2.5 miles wide. I'm sure the other Kern oil wells as well as TX, OK and Alaska and other areas have a lot.

It's my understanding that the US oil is mostly heavy and not as good in making gas as light crude which we get outside of the US.

Bajaboy - 4-13-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

I'm not so sure than the data Wikipedia shows is correct. This mornings paper has a long article on the Belridge oil field here in Kern county and they said there are 4.4 billion barrels still in the ground. That would be 25% of what Wiki says the US has. They've taken out 1.6 billion barrels since 1911 when it was discovered. It's an area 22 mile long and 2.5 miles wide. I'm sure the other Kern oil wells as well as TX, OK and Alaska and other areas have a lot.

It's my understanding that the US oil is mostly heavy and not as good in making gas as light crude which we get outside of the US.

Well, this is from the CIA:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...

Regardless, I'd say it is safe to say that the US does not have more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia.

I'm riding the fence on this one...

Pompano - 4-13-2011 at 11:49 AM

US OIL RESERVES -MIXTURE OF TRUE AND FALSE INFORMATION

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bakken.asp

:?:

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

Well, this is from the CIA:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...

Regardless, I'd say it is safe to say that the US does not have more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia.

if the price of oil stays high the US can mine it's tar sands and ruin every last piece of wilderness in the process.
that should make DK happy, strip mines and toxic wastewater ponds as far as the eye can see, just like in Canada!

wessongroup - 4-13-2011 at 12:11 PM

Good one Pompano ....

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2008/3021/

scouter - 4-13-2011 at 03:58 PM

hell everything i do takes fuel if i worry about it will just stay home so
just dont pay attention to the cost anymore....

baja829 - 4-13-2011 at 04:41 PM

Last summer we drove 4,300 miles more or less, up to Seattle, across 1/4 of Canada, back down to Baja and then East to Dallas, No. to KC, Denver, and back down to Baja, then up to San Francisco and back to Baja. Diesel cost was a little less than around $350 in our VWJetta (2002). This year we will leave Baja for New Orleans, back up to TX, KC, Santa Fe, Prescott, Dewey, Phoenix, and back to Baja. Maybe drive fewer miles, but the cost will be up, still manageable however.

On the other hand, it now costs about $147 to fill up our '99 F350 (in the U.S.) it's parked and will stay parked, maybe even sold -- no need to spend that kind of money on diesel and don't often need a truck to cross crounty on vacation.

We will probably just enjoy ourselves, for as long as we can!

How higher fuel costs will affect my summer travel plans.

Pompano - 4-13-2011 at 06:51 PM

Plan A: 35ft Motorhome with boat/trailer: 6-7 mpg

Plan B: Diesel 3500 with 34ft fifth wheel camper and boat/trailer: 13-14 mpg

I love No-Brainers.

Who's up for some lake trout and walleye dinners?

Cypress - 4-15-2011 at 11:25 AM

And what about all the folks in the "real world" who have to haul feed, wood, and building material. You can't pull a boat, camper, or anything else with a glorified golf cart. You can't travel in snow and ice with a put-put battery powered toy. Bicycles are for fun, not a primary source of transportation. I'd rather have a horse, but you've got to have hay etc. We're being forced into a bad situation by a bad govt. We'll soon fix that.:yes:

Frank - 4-15-2011 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
And what about all the folks in the "real world" who have to haul feed, wood, and building material. You can't pull a boat, camper, or anything else with a glorified golf cart. You can't travel in snow and ice with a put-put battery powered toy. Bicycles are for fun, not a primary source of transportation. I'd rather have a horse, but you've got to have hay etc. We're being forced into a bad situation by a bad govt. We'll soon fix that.:yes:

I can only absorb so much of the extra expenses before it gets passed along to the end consumer...which is the rest of you driving the 40mpg vehicles.

We are all in this up to our necks....

absinvestor - 4-15-2011 at 04:55 PM

Pompano- with your plans to head north and park for a few days and fish surrounding lakes a truck and 5th wheel is much more convenient than trying to do the same with a larger motorhome and boat. However, if one is not towing a boat there is more to the choice than fuel price. (The decision for many is not a "no brainer.") Many times we take a couple of grandkids. For them the fun of a trip is the motorhome experience. If I want to get an early start, they can sleep in, brush their teeth whenever they want, color with grandma, play games and make sundaes, use the bathroom without needing to stop etc all when grandpa continues driving. (The grandkid's parents seldom will part with the kids for over 3 wks. If we have the grandkids, Baja Sur is too far a destination to get to from Denver unless we travel several hundred miles a day.) We had a trailer but for us the cost of fuel is secondary to the fun of travel. Have a great time fishing!! Ron