BajaNomad

What kind of line do you use?

MitchMan - 4-10-2011 at 05:33 PM

I use Ande. Used to use Maxima, but it got too expensive. Ande is a close second. Still expensive though.

I use a cost cutting method, because I am so cheap. I use 60-80lb dacron line for about first 2/3s of the spool, then tie it to the Ande line (15# to 50# Ande, depending on the reel). That way, as the terminal end gets frayed, just cut one or two feet off the line. If a fish breaks the line anywhere after the dacron, you haven't lost much line, cut off the rest and put another 75 feet to 100 feet of fresh monofilament to the end of the dacron to complete the spool.

You can get much longer and more complete use out of a small spool of 30# test that way. If I used the whole spool of mono without the dacron, then I would have to use a new spool every time I break off anywhere in the middle of the spool.

I use fluorocarbon leader. Right now I am using three different brands to see which one works best. Seaguar, Yo-Zuri, and Blackwater. Don't know which one is best, hope that Yo-zuri is best as it is the cheapest.

When I was researching flurocarbon, I came upon info that said the the breaking strength of normal monfilament line tested out at about 25% to 45% breaking strength over and above the listed # rating. That is, if you bought 30# mono, the actual breaking strength was 40 - 45 lbs. However, the fluorocarbon tested out at the actual listed lb test, that is, if you purchased 30# fluorocarbon, it will break at 30 lbs. Believing what I read, I put 40# fluro leader on 30# test mono line. But, I noticed that the pangueros use 30 on 30.

Since I never know definitively what to really believe, I've got my mind and eyes wide open to alternate opinions and experience.

[Edited on 4-11-2011 by MitchMan]

Bajaboy - 4-10-2011 at 06:33 PM

Wish Fishbuck was still around to answer this one:lol:

woody with a view - 4-10-2011 at 07:01 PM

80# mono for tuna. 25# for everything else.

try FFO-TACKLE.com

thank me later....

Santiago - 4-10-2011 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
try FFO-TACKLE.com

thank me later....

Oh fer christ's sakes - now everybody's gonna go there.:cool:

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 4-10-2011 at 08:32 PM

Hola MitchMan,

we've been doing the dacron backing as you are for years until spectra came out. all of my reels now have spectra so i can now put about 80 yards of mono topshot. fairly expensive initially but spectra is supposed to be good for about ten years.

smaller 200 series newells and daiwa sl20's with 50# spectra with 75 yards of# 15 or 20 @ mono topshot and eight feet of 30 # blackwater flurocarbon.

300 series newells, shimano toriums with 65 # spectra with 75 yards of 25# topshots and eight feet of 30 # blackwater flurocarbon

international 12's with 65 # spectra with 40 # topshots and eight feet of 50 # blackwater flurocarbon

international 16 with 80 # spectra and 50 # mono topshots and eight feet of 50 # blackwater flurocarbon

international 30 with 80 # spectra with 60 # topshots and ten feet of 50 # or 100 # blackwater flurocarbon.

international 50 wides with 130 # spectra and 80 # topshots and direct tie to trolling lure swivels and leader.

i used to use maxima but it has too much memory and comes off the reels all coiled up but it is very strong line, but expensive

ande is very good line which i still use but i have been using izorline blue more for about fifteen or more years as it's super strong and i'm not fishing for records and i do get bit.

i used to buy 2 pound spools of mono but since i only have to change topshots now, i only buy one pound spools and i still change my topshots quite a bit.

this is what works for me,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

baronvonbob - 4-10-2011 at 08:38 PM

what about tld 20's and the small Avet 5.3

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 4-10-2011 at 09:14 PM

Hola baronvonbob,

what pound test mono do you use on these reels ?

the tld 20, i would use 65 # spectra, 40 - 50 # mono topshot.

if you fish 15 - 20 # mono on the avet, i would go with 50 # spectra, 20 # mono topshot.

by the way, i use izor hollow spectra.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Skipjack Joe - 4-10-2011 at 10:05 PM

P-Line is very abrasion resistant. I use P-Line on spinning gear.

baronvonbob - 4-11-2011 at 02:20 AM

gracias

woody with a view - 4-11-2011 at 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
try FFO-TACKLE.com

thank me later....

Oh fer christ's sakes - now everybody's gonna go there.:cool:

just pick up one of these for the missus. thanks Santiago!

http://ffo-tackle.com/detail.cfm?PassProdId=4962

monoloco - 4-11-2011 at 06:38 AM

I just keep it simple and use 50# mono on all my reels, works for everything from sierra to marlin.

Cypress - 4-11-2011 at 06:50 AM

Mono for smaller fish, dacron for larger fish.;D

baronvonbob - 4-11-2011 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola baronvonbob,

what pound test mono do you use on these reels ?

the tld 20, i would use 65 # spectra, 40 - 50 # mono topshot.

if you fish 15 - 20 # mono on the avet, i would go with 50 # spectra, 20 # mono topshot.

by the way, i use izor hollow spectra.

What knot from spectra to top shot?

Thank you!!

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

bajabass - 4-11-2011 at 10:35 AM

I use uniknot to uniknot on my reels with braid to mono. Same on mono to flouro for the leader. I bought spools of Trilene Big Game in 20, 30, 40, 50, and 80lb before I moved to La Paz. Changing out topshots on a regular basis is cheaper and you are running fresher line.

this has never worked for me

durrelllrobert - 4-11-2011 at 11:21 AM

Hey baby, what do you say we go behind that rock and get a little boulder?!?:lol::lol::lol:

moogie - 4-14-2011 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baronvonbob
what about tld 20's and the small Avet 5.3

I have 3 small Avets. I use #20 mono on them. I'm not a fan of braided lines.
The only braid I use is for surfcasting, and deep jigging.
Mono rules!
Moog

yellowklr - 4-17-2011 at 07:30 PM

I use either 65 or 80lb spectra for backing and them a topshot of about 100yds of Trilene Big Game for topshot.
You can't go wrong with Big Game and the price is right

mulegemichael - 4-17-2011 at 07:50 PM

si!...50# spectra and a topshot of big game; 60-80 yds or so...why more?

Spearo - 4-18-2011 at 05:02 PM

Spectra all the way with a topshot of mono or flouro if you're bottomfishing and hitting rocks. For the braid to mono connection I tie a 15 turn albright knot and slip the tag end through the loop twice instead of once. Lube it and cinch the braid down first. This knot won't fail if tied correctly.

Braid works fine trolling also, just remember to set the drag very loosely. It lasts forever unlike mono.