BajaNomad

San Juanico - wrong road??

LianeR - 4-11-2011 at 07:13 PM

We left Insurgentes and allowed 4 hours to get to San Juanico. Looked doable on the map. Crossed the river prior to La Purisima even tho the bridge/road was washed out, following the 'sign' pointing to SJ...river wasn't that deep.

On the far side of the river there were 2 roads..one going up into the hills, and another headed onto the flats. The 'hill' road looked like it'd been used alot more so we headed that direction. After 60 minutes, only going 11 miles and coming to a fork in the road without any signage, we turned around and headed back. We never made it to San Juanico...should we have taken the other road or did we just not go far enough?

David K - 4-11-2011 at 10:01 PM

The road to San Juanico is paved and goes there from the town of Las Barrancas, which turns west of the La Purisima road many miles south.

You were on the original road from closer to La Purisima... and it should have been obvious which one to stay on, apparently not anymore!? Bummer. GPS and the Baja Almanac map book may have helped!

I hope some Scorpion Bay Nomads can explain what road you were on...

bajario - 4-12-2011 at 05:00 AM

Sounds like you were almost there. If its the same fork I'm thinking of either way would of gotten you there. The left might take you to the edge of the road where the couch is. Straight would of been a little longer but still the right way.

woody with a view - 4-12-2011 at 05:45 AM

you should have been able to get glimpses of the point, and kept going for another 5-8 miles.....

TMW - 4-12-2011 at 08:33 AM

bajario is correct.

The left road takes you to the paved road where the couch is and the right road takes you much further to the paved road. The right road was used in the Baja 1000 race last year. The new road turns left about 12 miles south of the river where you crossed.

LianeR - 4-12-2011 at 04:03 PM

Thanks everyone. When we came out of the hills we noticed a sign farther ahead on the road we did not take and it said 'federal funds were going to make a new road called Zapote' or something similar. Guess we just took the wrong road..

805gregg - 4-16-2011 at 06:10 PM

I did that road in less than 3 hrs, 90 mph on the asphalt and 50 on the dirt.

merlin - 4-22-2011 at 06:41 AM

Yes, you were almost there. All roads from there lead to San Juanico - some just easier than others. The easiest way is the new paved road that goes through Las Barrancas - pretty drive, too!

BooJumMan - 4-22-2011 at 09:12 AM

Probably going off right now.. Good angle and solid size coming up right now.. wish I didn't have responsibilities right now ;(

woody with a view - 4-22-2011 at 11:26 AM

prolly 1/3 the crowd of malibu. and 1/25 the amenities..... been there, done both....

MikeYounghusband - 4-22-2011 at 12:34 PM

I walked for two days on that road and never saw a car. Not used too much anymore