BajaNomad

Pargo Mulato

moogie - 4-13-2011 at 05:22 PM

Hi all,
Anybody ever catch one of these?
They pull like crazy, and are dee-lish any way you cook them.
Moog

pargo mulato.jpg - 18kB

Cypress - 4-13-2011 at 05:32 PM

Yep! All snapper are quality, on the hook, or on the plate.:)

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 4-13-2011 at 05:33 PM

Hola moogie,

yes, i have caught them before but not as big as the one ( Pargo Mulato )
you caught. i'm sure he gave you a good fight.

all the pargos that i have been fortunate enough to catch were great eating.

it is quite surprising that the meat from the bigger dogtooth snapper ( pargo perro) to about 40 pounds is exceptionally tender. " good eating "

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

MitchMan - 4-13-2011 at 05:39 PM

Yeah, I caught a pargo mulato last year, a really big one. It is absolutely fantastic eating, a real prize if you catch one. I really like to catch Dorado and yellowtail and they are both good to eat, but, to be honest, I think Cabrilla is the best tasting and Pargo Mulato a close second.

marv sherrill - 4-13-2011 at 06:23 PM

Great fish to catch, great eating but a real b-tch to clean - as Gene Kira puts it in The Baja Catch - "ribs like rebar" - you get only about a 25% return on meat vs weight - but they are delicioso!!!

moogie - 4-13-2011 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
Great fish to catch, great eating but a real b-tch to clean - as Gene Kira puts it in The Baja Catch - "ribs like rebar" - you get only about a 25% return on meat vs weight - but they are delicioso!!!

I've had them fried with the "rib on". It was out of this world.
Moog

moogie - 4-13-2011 at 07:00 PM

I've never tasted a Pargo of any kind that wasn't tasty.
These fish are Pargo Liso. (Mullet Snapper)

I brought some of this fish to a local restaurant. They did it up 4 different ways. We over ate so bad, it wasn't funny, but we couldn't help it.
Moog

pargo for web #2.jpg - 17kB

toneart - 4-13-2011 at 07:05 PM

Moogie,
Where are you catching these beauties?

comitan - 4-13-2011 at 07:25 PM

That'ts Cerallvo in the background. (Punta Arena)

moogie - 4-14-2011 at 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Moogie,
Where are you catching these beauties?

Yup, just like Comitan said. . . .Ceralvo Island.
Moog

Pompano - 4-14-2011 at 05:23 AM

Some little pargo caught around Pta. Teresa south of Point Conception...lots of fun catching.....and fine on the table.

MitchMan - 4-14-2011 at 09:13 AM

If the bones are tough to get through when fileting, fry the whole thing with bones intact, and then eat the meat off the bones. Yet get more meat that way, andl, this may be an illusion, but I think the meat tastes better off the bone.

Pompano - 4-14-2011 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
If the bones are tough to get through when fileting, fry the whole thing with bones intact, and then eat the meat off the bones. Yet get more meat that way, andl, this may be an illusion, but I think the meat tastes better off the bone.

That's the ONLY way to eat red snapper...personal pan-size anyway.

Cook the whole fish...skin and bones still attached...minus gills and guts. Mmmmm...now that's down home cookin!

moogie - 4-14-2011 at 11:16 AM

Quote:

Oh yeah man!

moogie - 4-14-2011 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Some little pargo caught around Pta. Teresa south of Point Conception...lots of fun catching.....and fine on the table.

Muy Bueno!

Cypress - 4-14-2011 at 11:26 AM

Ever have "Snapper Throats"? After filleting a large one, that area left on the head with the two pec fins is the throat. It's like a chicken breast. Choice! Many people throw that part away when they toss the heads. Mistake!

MitchMan - 4-14-2011 at 03:31 PM

Speaking of fish throats!

If you see a panguero or anyone fileting pargo, yellow tail, or any big fish, and you see that they only keep the filets and intend to throw everything else away, grab the heads WITH THE COLLARS still on. Cut the throat with the collars still attached and you have a DELICACY! Slow pan fry or even barbecue those babies and get ready to enjoy the "filet mignon" of fish.

No bones, especially in the collars. The meat is extremely juicy and flavorful and tender. The collar meat can be pulled out with a sideways movement of an inserted fork. Sometimes the meat will have a slight meaty flavor. I never freeze them as I make it a point to eat them right away at the earliest opportunity for a snack.

When I used to fish on pangas, I would walk along the beach watching the pangueros fileting the day's catch. I would sidle up, make some admiring comments about the fish and sheepishly ask if I could keep the heads (and collars). 2 times out of 3 they would say yes. So, I would take it and add that to my catch. What a bonus!

Sometimes it helps to know how to fein hulmility while shamelessly groveling, all the while knowing that you are no better than a common thief exploiting the unaware. Collars and throats are delicious.

[Edited on 4-14-2011 by MitchMan]

Cypress - 4-14-2011 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Speaking of fish throats!

If you see a panguero or anyone fileting pargo, yellow tail, or any big fish, and you see that they only keep the filets and intend to throw everything else away, grab the heads WITH THE COLLARS still on. Cut the throat with the collars still attached and you have a DELICACY! Slow pan fry or even barbecue those babies and get ready to enjoy the "filet mignon" of fish.

No bones, especially in the collars. The meat is extremely juicy and flavorful and tender. The collar meat can be pulled out with a sideways movement of an inserted fork. Sometimes the meat will have a slight meaty flavor. I never freeze them as I make it a point to eat them right away at the earliest opportunity for a snack.

When I used to fish on pangas, I would walk along the beach watching the pangueros fileting the day's catch. I would sidle up, make some admiring comments about the fish and sheepishly ask if I could keep the heads (and collars). 2 times out of 3 they would say yes. So, I would take it and add that to my catch. What a bonus!

Sometimes it helps to know how to fein hulmility while shamelessly groveling, all the while knowing that you are no better than a common thief exploiting the unaware. Collars and throats are delicious.

[Edited on 4-14-2011 by MitchMan]

Yep!

comitan - 4-14-2011 at 03:45 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned the cheeks from Pargo, nothing better.

Cypress - 4-14-2011 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
I can't believe no one has mentioned the cheeks from Pargo, nothing better.

You're talking about some big boys.

comitan - 4-14-2011 at 04:27 PM

Yup