BajaNomad

San Nicolaus - Ille del Fonso - Pulpito

Pompano - 4-14-2011 at 04:31 AM

A few days ago, my Coyote amigo and neighbor, Les Hodges, went out with some of his San Nicolaus buddies and got into some good fishing. They fished iron and live bait in the Pulpito-Ille del Fonso areas.

An amberjack - almaco

A nice 47 yellowtail - jurel

Way to go, guys!

yellowklr - 4-17-2011 at 07:27 PM

Nice fish!!!!
So I'm familiar with the Island what it the Pulpito?

Pompano - 4-17-2011 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
Nice fish!!!!
So I'm familiar with the Island what it the Pulpito?

Punta Pulpito.

It is that blunt headland south of San Sabastian...see pic above. Just south of Pulpito is a good yellowtail hole. Lots of guides from Loreto come up and use live bait or hang em with iron.

And below is the island you are familiar with:

Ille Delfonso

[Edited on 4-19-2011 by Pompano]

pangamadness - 4-17-2011 at 10:42 PM

Ya! I will be there on Friday evening. Cant wait, got info the yellows are in and near the surface,

Skeet/Loreto - 4-18-2011 at 07:11 AM

Thanks Pomp for the Report and Photos!

That is where I did most of my fishing in all the years I lived at San Nicholas and Loreto.

Have you ever stopped at the Hot Water Hole just South of Pulpito and checked for some "White Lobster" ??

At the right time of the year you can also luck onto some 80 Lb. Amberjack.

Skeet

Pompano - 4-18-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Thanks Pomp for the Report and Photos!

That is where I did most of my fishing in all the years I lived at San Nicholas and Loreto.

Have you ever stopped at the Hot Water Hole just South of Pulpito and checked for some "White Lobster" ??

At the right time of the year you can also luck onto some 80 Lb. Amberjack.

Skeet

Hola Skeet,

No..never heard about the "White Lobster" south of Pulpito. I swear to Neptune. Tell us about them, okay?

I know about all the various hot springs, though. I used to gunkhole boat camp all along that coast in my old African Queen, "Pompano", .... back in the day. :rolleyes:

Skeet/Loreto - 4-18-2011 at 08:01 AM

In 1972 while living at San Nicholas Pappa Murrillo took me to a spot about 1/4 to 1/2 Mile South of Pulpito and we Snorkeled around a Hot Spring. On several Occasions we would take a couple of Lobster for Lunch. They had a very definite Whteish Color to their Shells.

Hey! About a Mile to the East , 90 Degrees off Pulpito there is a Hole I fished and came up with a 52 Lb, Cross between a Pargo and Cabrilla, also fished with Pappa and the boys about two miles North andWest of Delefonzo at 300 Feet for some great "Pargetta"".

Pomp did you know Pappa Murrillo? He fought in the War and was given the San Nicholas area after the War,

Skeet

Pompano - 4-18-2011 at 08:21 AM

Hi Skeet, yup...I think Pappa Murrillo and I shared a couple campfires together...and maybe some one-eye? ;D

Lauriboats - 4-18-2011 at 08:57 AM

Awesome fish!

castaway$ - 4-18-2011 at 12:24 PM

We like to fish a little north of Pulpito, in between Pulpito and IIdelfonso there is a "hump" and we have caught lots of YT's there in March flylining Mackerel or big eyes. Thanks for the post Pomp it brings back good memories, I need to do that again.

Skeet/Loreto - 4-18-2011 at 01:11 PM

Castaways:

Just a little bit South of that Hump is the place I first caught LingCod in Baja.

Also on over to the Pt. I Snorkled and watched the Golden Cabrilla guide their DarKer Buddies to Bait

When I lived at San Nicholas Cheuy was only 13 years old. Enrique Murrillo lived there with his family Martin, Manuel, Yuyi, Rosevevla.

Yu yi and her Husband own the Resturant about a block from LULU's in Loreto. Her Husband is Cesar's Son who originally had a Restruant in Loreto and is the Brother of the Cesar's in TJ.

In 1972 we did lots of fishing from Shore, catching 30 Lb yellowtail casting a Salas Jig

Spearo - 4-18-2011 at 01:42 PM

I spent the better part of last month fishing this area and had the best luck yoyoing and casting smaller jigs (2oz). The bait that was getting worked by the jurels was mostly smaller flat-iron herring and flylining the larger mackeral you could sabiki didn't produce. We also did well trolling diving plugs, the best were the Rapala 15s in firetiger or mackeral. Also picked up some really nice cabrilla on the plugs when trolled closer to the rocks.

Pompano - 4-18-2011 at 06:10 PM

Spearo, I have had the same kind of fishing in that area, too...Fine Fun!

Might run down there from Mulege on Wednesday and test those waters again. I need some deep water under me again...and picking up a nice almaco or jurel is just a big plus! ;)

Spearo - 4-19-2011 at 08:45 AM

Pompano
We also had some of the craziest triggerfish bites I have ever seen. Using BIG chunks of barracuda as cut bait, we slayed the big cochis. Just a scream on light tackle.

If you ever see someone in a 15' gregor fishing south of San Lino its probably me!

vgabndo - 4-19-2011 at 10:13 PM

Whoa...time for the spelling police.

SAN NICOLAS'

ISLA SAN ILDEFONSO