BajaNomad

OSD= Oh Sh*t Dip

mcfez - 4-14-2011 at 07:03 AM

Lack of coffee here...this was to be in the Shell Island High Tide post

It's a goner....I think it just got worn out. Faintly visible a few weeks ago

[Edited on 4-14-2011 by mcfez]

Oh Sh*t Dip is verify.....is a dip that one has to slow down to 10 mph . Looking closely....at the road .....one can see traces of oil for a few hundred feet beyond...

Good spot for a mechanics shop :light:

[Edited on 4-15-2011 by mcfez]

DENNIS - 4-14-2011 at 07:05 AM

What?????

David K - 4-14-2011 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Good thing photographs preserve history!

2009 oh sh dip - xmas 175-r.JPG - 42kB

bajamigo - 4-14-2011 at 07:48 AM

Passed it a couple of weeks ago. It looks as if it was painted out, judging by the neat blocks of black paint. Seems the San Felipe Chamber of Commerce doesn't have a sense of humor.

You are right

BajaRob - 4-14-2011 at 07:51 AM

The same crew applied eraser paint at the Dipsh*t Dip to the south of us.

David K - 4-14-2011 at 08:00 AM

So, did they replace it with some other kind of warning, like a big X or stripes? Why in the word can't they just regrade those couple of worst case dips, anyway?

BajaRob - 4-14-2011 at 03:23 PM

The old way was Vados. The new way is culverts. We still have both. Hopefully more culverts in our future.

bajalou - 4-14-2011 at 04:31 PM

These dips serve the purpose of keeping the road from washing out when it rains. level them out and come a rain, no more road. If a person drove the speed limit, they wouldn't be a problem.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/tumble.gif

mtgoat666 - 4-14-2011 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So, did they replace it with some other kind of warning, like a big X or stripes? Why in the word can't they just regrade those couple of worst case dips, anyway?

dk: perhaps the Mexico DOT does not view the regrading as a priority, because the dips affect only law breakers (speeders). perhaps the dips are effective speed deterents,... deters the law abiders, and punishes the law breakers.

as chrisx says, "Gringo, hit the brakes!" and as he might ask, how much air can a fat lady in a honda achieve by entering dip at 95 mph?

Seriously, I like a good dip to spice up a boring drive, and I really like a good dip that gives you a sense of weightlessness (but without loosing control of car).

David K - 4-14-2011 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
These dips serve the purpose of keeping the road from washing out when it rains. level them out and come a rain, no more road. If a person drove the speed limit, they wouldn't be a problem.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/tumble.gif

Yes, I know... if you drive the US deserts in CA, we have lots of vados they are long dips, not sudden drop-offs that wreck cars and trailer hitches... LOL!

Goat:
I wish it was never paved... but if they are going to pave it, then make the roadbed suitable for a paved road... it isn't hard to do... got it goat... Oh, and by the way... the contractor who built that highway back in the late 80's to early 90's was thrown in jail for shabby road building! LOL:lol:

CortezBlue - 4-14-2011 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Lack of coffee here...this was to be in the Shell Island High Tide post

[Edited on 4-14-2011 by mcfez]

McFezydip

You going down for dia de memorial

Skipjack Joe - 4-14-2011 at 07:01 PM

Most of baja's OSD's seem to be between Puertecitos and San Felipe. Even the old hwy1 never had them as bad as that section. Just have to stay alert.

CDB - 4-14-2011 at 07:18 PM

As for the dips between San Felipe and Puertecitos being safe at the speed limit, not even close. Some of them are really severe. There are a couple that will hurt you at even 25mph. That is one stretch I vow to never drive at night.

Leo - 4-14-2011 at 07:30 PM

Ooh, yes, that can hurt. also depends on the car you're driving. With a full load, we had a few nasty moments last time I drove it.

BajaWarrior - 4-14-2011 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Passed it a couple of weeks ago. It looks as if it was painted out, judging by the neat blocks of black paint. Seems the San Felipe Chamber of Commerce doesn't have a sense of humor.

Funny it took that long for someone to not like it, I painted it almost 10 years ago...

David K - 4-14-2011 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo

Funny it took that long for someone to not like it, I painted it almost 10 years ago...

Yah, that looked like your work Chuck! :light::cool:;D

David K - 4-14-2011 at 09:57 PM

What I meant Chuck, was that the job was of such high quality it lasted far longer than anyone expected!!:light:;D

J.P. - 4-15-2011 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Ooh, yes, that can hurt. also depends on the car you're driving. With a full load, we had a few nasty moments last time I drove it.

I hit one of those dips and my newly purchased slide in pop almast wound up in my front set

E.D.R.Rick - 4-15-2011 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leo

I hit one of those dips and my newly purchased slide in pop almast wound up in my front set

J.P. - 4-15-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by E.D.R.Rick
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leo

[/quo
MY truck mounted Pop up almost wound up in my front seat.:o:o

dtbushpilot - 4-15-2011 at 07:37 PM

I hope they never pave over Travis Pastrana's OSD South of BOLA.......dt

David K - 4-15-2011 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I hope they never pave over Travis Pastrana's OSD South of BOLA.......dt

I think I still got a photo of it on fire that one of the Gecko residents took! 2006 Baja 1000... We were at El Crucero and came into Bahia for a night... saw the truck... well what was left of it!