BajaNomad

FMM

bcashe - 4-18-2011 at 06:32 AM

I just recently began surfing this forum. Today I see something...FMM? What in the heck is that? Never heard of one.

Then I look FMM up.
Tourists: If you enter Mexico as a tourist, your entry will remain virtually unaffected by the new procedures. You will simply need to complete the ‘Tourist’ section of the new FMM visitor’s card (which replaces the FMT) at the port of entry, and when you enter the country you will be granted leave to remain in Mexico for no longer than 180 calendar days.

Over the last 3 years I've crossed into Mexico through Mexicali a dozen times or so. Just waived on through.

Is ignorance bliss?

thanks for the amazing amount of info on the forum,

bcashe

DENNIS - 4-18-2011 at 07:08 AM

Here's some info for you:

http://tinyurl.com/3mjda4b

bcashe - 4-18-2011 at 07:50 AM

Yep, I should have posted FMT instead of FMM. Still am confused why I just get waived on into Mexico with no questions asked.

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

DENNIS - 4-18-2011 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bcashe
Yep, I should have posted FMT instead of FMM. Still am confused why I just get waived on into Mexico with no questions asked.

FMM is correct. They recently changed that.
The reason they don't say anything at the border is, not everyone is required to get the permit and it's on you to get one if you need one.

Keep looking through the info. It's all there in it's most confusing glory.

mulegejim - 4-18-2011 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bcashe

You get waived in because you may visit for up to 72 hours without an FMM (previously called an FMt) and if you don't go too far from the border. The distance from the border is somewhat open to discussion so I'll leave it to others to respond on that issue. Jim

bajalou - 4-18-2011 at 08:10 AM

The people waving you through are Customs personnel, the FMM/FMT is a Immigration form.

David K - 4-18-2011 at 08:26 AM

FMM is the newer name for what was an FMT... most call it a TOURIST CARD. More or less a type of visa, but on a paper form and not stamped in your passport like typical visas.

Required (technically) if you are anywhere in Mexico more than 72 hours or anytime you go south of the 'border zone' (used to be Maneadero/San Felipe... but lately seems to be the entire state of Baja California.

Who is going that far south for 3 days or less?

The FMM is FREE if your Mexico visit is for 7 days or less.
The FMM is just over twenty dollars for up to 180 days stay.

People who use an FMM are supposed to be on a vacation (or other limited activity), and cannot leave any property behind in Mexico when their vacation is over (ie. no cars, trailers, condos, clothes, land).

People who want to leave property in Mexico when they are not there, or rent/buy property that stays in Mexico should get the correct visa. See FM-3. This is for their own protection as nothing prohibits Mexicans from selling/ leasing land to those without an FM-3.

sancho - 4-18-2011 at 08:30 AM

The older I get, the more of a stickler to Mex Regs
I get. It is Mex Immigration Regs that a visitor
needs an fmm for more than 72 hrs. I do not believe
in the notion you do not need one for visits of 7 days
or less, although Baja Imm may tell you that, I've
never seen that in print. I go thru Mexicali, I rarely
see Gringos getting fmm's at the downtown Mexicalli
Imm Office. The vast majority of No Baja Tourists don't
bother with the fmm. i choose to be legal in Mex,
I would never give them LEVERAGE against me in
event some Authority wants to see an fmm