BajaNomad

Mama Espinoza's

Pages:  1  

bigmike - 4-19-2011 at 01:38 AM

6 of us had dinner Sunday April 17th at Mama's.
We will never eat there again!! The meals were awful.
2 had scallops so over cooked you could not hardly cut them let alone chew them. One had fish filet, so over cooked again it was dry as a bone, one had arrachera, again so over cooked it had no flavor,
one had a Mexican dish with no flavor. I had the crab soup and it was the only passable food of any of the meals.
Please see my wonderful review of Baja Cactus!!

Lauriboats - 4-19-2011 at 04:52 AM

That is why we don't eat there anymore.

woody with a view - 4-19-2011 at 05:37 AM

we don't either. in a pinch i've had the mexi-combo and it was good. but shouldn't the national dish be good?

Can't do it

BajaRob - 4-19-2011 at 06:03 AM

Been disappointed too many times. A real shame for an iconic place.

mtgoat666 - 4-19-2011 at 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
2 had scallops so over cooked you could not hardly cut them let alone chew them. One had fish filet, so over cooked again it was dry as a bone, one had arrachera, again so over cooked it had no flavor,
one had a Mexican dish with no flavor. I had the crab soup and it was the only passable food of any of the meals.

rule number 1 (or is it #2?) of dining out is never dine out on a sunday night, because b-team is in kitchen, and fresh food has not been delivered to kitchen since thursday or friday, perhaps explaining why the food had to be over cooked...

Russ - 4-19-2011 at 06:28 AM

Cooking a passable meal is not a science. I do it all the time. To screw up 5 of 6 meals is an art form that must take at least some training. I will not patronize Mama's and haven't for at least 5 years. It's is really sad when we have had this conversation so many times here and many friends of Mama & her family have tried to get the message trough. It is a travesty of such an historical site. The family should be ashamed of themselves!

Phil S - 4-19-2011 at 06:51 AM

Welllllllllll. If they have been given the message time & time again???? I guess it leaves one to think, they "don't give a crap" anymore. There are always travelers 'filling in the space" Mamma must not be in command anymore, huh???? We've had bad luck for past couple years, that we aren't going to eat there ever again. Anyone to offer an alternate restaurant? We have eaten at the one south of town on the right going south. Was good!!!

David K - 4-19-2011 at 07:10 AM

I hope David (ELINVESTI8R) gets the message to them... It is both historic and convenient (next door to Baja Cactus). Of course, we have had breakfast there more than dinner, and that has always been good.

[Edited on 4-20-2011 by David K]

bajabound2005 - 4-19-2011 at 07:21 AM

In El Rosario --- breakfast at Baja's Best and any other meal at Taqueria La Mision...not really a taqueria but their stuff potatoes are AWESOME! I wouldn't eat at "that other place" if it was the only place in town.

monoloco - 4-19-2011 at 08:22 AM

I quit eating there years ago after ordering the lobster burrito and finding it mostly filled with celery.

bajafam - 4-19-2011 at 08:30 AM

we've never had a bad meal there ~
and you can't beat the hugs and kisses from Auntie Rolli :)

bajaguy - 4-19-2011 at 08:32 AM

Second Baja's Best for breakfast!!!!!

wessongroup - 4-19-2011 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

rule number 1 (or is it #2?) of dining out is never dine out on a sunday night, because b-team is in kitchen, and fresh food has not been delivered to kitchen since thursday or friday, perhaps explaining why the food had to be over cooked...

Goat, that is some really good information... thanks.. :o

JESSE - 4-19-2011 at 11:39 AM

I had some lobster burritos there a few weeks ago, they where very good.

monoloco - 4-19-2011 at 11:47 AM

It sounds like the best thing that could be said about the place is that it's inconsistent.

captain4tuna - 4-19-2011 at 11:53 AM

We ate there twice, gross each time. Never again.

Hook - 4-19-2011 at 12:13 PM

I'm dying to know what they are charging for the lobster burritos these days.

I remember them being 12.00 US probably 6-8 years ago.

And they were bad. Took about a half hour to get them and they were lukewarm.

Whatever happened to Antonio's plans to open a restaurant? Or, am I having a senile moment?

Puckdrop - 4-19-2011 at 02:15 PM

That's to bad, never been there nor had the pleasure of dinning there.
We are so lucky to have so many fine restaurants in Loreto. For a little town on the Baja, it sure kicks $ss.:P

David K - 4-19-2011 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Whatever happened to Antonio's plans to open a restaurant? Or, am I having a senile moment?

Antonio never had plans for a restuarant, he has begun construction of a mini market next to the Pemex that will have a taco stand inside... Perhaps hot (locally caught) lobster, abalone, and caracol del mar burritos could be served???

Last time I had lobster at Mama Espinoza's, was for Thanksgiving Dinner, 2004... it was great!!:

Antonio (BajaCactus), Tony Miranda (Diamante Del Mar project),
and I at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant.

Baja Turkey! :bounce:

rts551 - 4-19-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Antonio never had plans for a restuarant, he has begun construction of a mini market next to the Pemex that will have a taco stand inside... Perhaps hot (locally caught) lobster, abalone, and caracol del mar burritos could be served???

Last time I had lobster at Mama Espinoza's, was for Thanksgiving Dinner, 2004... it was great!!:

Antonio (BajaCactus), Tony Miranda (Diamante Del Mar project),
and I at Mama Espinoza's Restaurant.

Baja Turkey! :bounce:

Which one..... (I just couldn't resist
)

gallesram - 4-19-2011 at 04:35 PM

First time I went, I thought "I wonder what all the hype is about; not very good, but maybe I just ordered the wrong thing" (crab enchiladas). Second time, I tried shrimp tacos. Same bland food, and the margarita tasted like it was made with cheap margarita mix. Last time was the final chance, and once again the food was terrible, with American music playing and a bored server. It all felt like a bad Mexican restaurant in Orange County way past its prime. Too bad since it probably was a good combination with Baja Cactus right next door. Never again; my trips down there are too short to eat mediocre expensive food given all the other great options.

mtgoat666 - 4-19-2011 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
First time I went, I thought "I wonder what all the hype is about; not very good, but maybe I just ordered the wrong thing" (crab enchiladas). Second time, I tried shrimp tacos. Same bland food, and the margarita tasted like it was made with cheap margarita mix. Last time was the final chance, and once again the food was terrible, with American music playing and a bored server. It all felt like a bad Mexican restaurant in Orange County way past its prime. Too bad since it probably was a good combination with Baja Cactus right next door. Never again; my trips down there are too short to eat mediocre expensive food given all the other great options.

i suppose tradition, nostalgia, history, etc., brings people back to the restaurant,, brings in new customers,...
i also think that restaurateurs with little competition and no loan payment often get lazy...

David K - 4-19-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Which one..... (I just couldn't resist
)

I know what I am Ralph, but just what are you?

bigmike - 4-19-2011 at 05:54 PM

Jesse,

We ate twice at your place two weeks ago and your food is fantastic,
absolutely no comparison between the two places, I will come to your place any time I am in La Paz!! Thanks for two fantastic meals.

Leo - 4-19-2011 at 06:10 PM

I always wondered what the hype was all about. Eate there quite a few times, but never really impressed.
Problem is, what's the alternative in that town?

Howard - 4-19-2011 at 08:20 PM

I enjoyed the breakfast at the restaurant in front of the Sinahi Hotel/RV park. I would definitely try it again.

BooJumMan - 4-19-2011 at 09:39 PM

Weird, I've ate there like 100 times over the last 10-15 years and I have never had a bad meal. I had to stay there for 3 days this past winter due to bad weather, and ate there for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each was great! I stick to the fish taco's and huevos ranchero's though... ???

Of course, I am not a picky eater, and rarely do I dislike a meal. :)

[Edited on 4-20-2011 by BooJumMan]

JESSE - 4-19-2011 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Jesse,

We ate twice at your place two weeks ago and your food is fantastic,
absolutely no comparison between the two places, I will come to your place any time I am in La Paz!! Thanks for two fantastic meals.

I made a quick stop there a few weeks ago. Food was served quick and wasnt bad. Then again, i was the only person there.

David K - 4-19-2011 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
I always wondered what the hype was all about. Eate there quite a few times, but never really impressed.
Problem is, what's the alternative in that town?

Several small restaurants and many taco stands... sometimes change their name or close/ open on next visit.

Mama's is fine for breakfast and next door to Baja Cactus, a plus.

#27 on map (Primo's) La Bocana Beach Restaurant renamed the Sinahi Restaurant (in front of the Sinahi Motel and RV Park) used to do a nice breakfast and served great melon (cantelope) juice for breakfast (order a pitcher). Last time, no Primo around and order error, novice waitress... not good (but we understand things change). In 2005, they had great shrimp dinners... as Bob H will tell you!

#38 Always good, far end of town and across for the nice Turista Motel is Ed & Yolanda's 'Baja's Best Restaurant. Breakfast or dinner... They have a nice bed & breakfast there.

#32 For dinner (or lunch): Tacos La Mision run by El Rosario's artist Hugo Lopez... his art on display at the small taco restaurant that serves awesome STUFFED BAKED POTATOES.

With so many changes just keep an open mind and keep reporting good and bad restaurant experiences...

Here's a map I made a few years ago pointing the eating places out in El Rosario:

[Edited on 4-20-2011 by David K]

gnukid - 4-19-2011 at 09:59 PM

Generally, any restaurant is horrific compared to home cooked meals. At Mama's I always sit at the table looking in the kitchen. My expectations are always low out at any place.

I have been very happily surprised by Mama's in each recent passing, actually I was really really happy, I might have married the cook on the spot! But we order off the menu. Must have been the air.

burnrope - 4-20-2011 at 08:43 AM

David K,
Can you elaborate on why you haven't eaten at Mama Espinosa's for 7 years? I respect your info on Baja and I've had good to mediorce meals there. Thanks.

BajaBlanca - 4-20-2011 at 08:55 AM

I do so love the atmosphere and I really hope they whip their food into shape as I always recommend this restaurant due to the history .... Mama is a living legend ...

David K - 4-20-2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by burnrope
David K,
Can you elaborate on why you haven't eaten at Mama Espinosa's for 7 years? I respect your info on Baja and I've had good to mediorce meals there. Thanks.

Where did you get that idea?

Did you read my first reply to this thread?:

"I hope David (ELINVESTI8R) gets the message to them... It is both historic and convenient (next door to Baja Cactus). Of course, we have had breakfast there more than dinner, and that has always been good."

Look at my trip reports and web site trip pages for photos of our meals at Mama Espinoza's...

I had lobster for Thanksgiving there in 2004... that was alomst 7 years ago... but have eaten there many times since... mostly for breakfast.

cjesme - 4-20-2011 at 09:18 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Mama last month. A group of us went to her house. Mama was so happy. She had tears in her eyes and said" I feel like a wilted flower that has just been watered". She gets lonely and loves visitors! At 103 she looks GREAT! I was very impressed with her. I hope her family can keep up with her goodness and kindness.

burnrope - 4-20-2011 at 09:30 AM

David K,
I apologize for misreading your post. A buddy of mine and I had dinner there one night, spent the night in the hotel they have there(pre-knowledge of the Baja Catus). I had lobster burrito's for breakfast, same as the night before. I could only eat one, after crossing the border, I put the remaining two burrito's, wrapped in foil, in my engine comparment. I stopped in Ventura for a great lunch on my way to Nor Cal.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burnrope
David K,
I apologize for misreading your post. A buddy of mine and I had dinner there one night, spent the night in the hotel they have there(pre-knowledge of the Baja Catus). I had lobster burrito's for breakfast, same as the night before. I could only eat one, after crossing the border, I put the remaining two burrito's, wrapped in foil, in my engine comparment. I stopped in Ventura for a great lunch on my way to Nor Cal.

No worries my friend! The 'V-8' Lobster sounds great!:light:

Bob H - 4-20-2011 at 10:38 PM

It seems there have been a lot more negative comments about the food at Mama's over the last couple of years. I ate there once, about 12 years ago, and it was just ok. Nothing to brag about.

There are just soooo many other great places to eat that beat that place, if you ask me.

I loved having lunch at the school bus place in El Rosario any day.

rhintransit - 4-21-2011 at 07:25 AM

I tried the place a few times, for the nostalgia kick. and also because I couldn't believe such a 'venerable' institution per so many couldn't serve such bad food. I was wrong. never again. any basic taco stand is better...

goldhuntress - 4-21-2011 at 08:16 AM

Maybe someone should do them the favor of telling them :light: That would give them a chance to improve and be more successful. It is after all Mama Espinoza's place and she is so loved, it's a shame that the restaurant is no longer held in high regard by so many. I think also nowadays people expect more than they did years ago, I do anyway. One reason is cost, it's not cheap to eat there or many other places. When you can get an excellent taco at stand for so cheap it's hard to justify paying WAY more for mediocrity.

Barbarosa - 4-21-2011 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjesme
I had the pleasure of meeting Mama last month. A group of us went to her house. Mama was so happy. She had tears in her eyes and said" I feel like a wilted flower that has just been watered". She gets lonely and loves visitors! At 103 she looks GREAT! I was very impressed with her. I hope her family can keep up with her goodness and kindness.

That's very cool. I wasn't sure if she was still around. Met her several times along the way. Years ago she signed Jimmy Smith's book for me (after he had). He was the sixth entry in her Guest Book of 1953.

We didn't eat there this time but I did have one and all sign the book.

There's Scandanavian in her family (I forget the last name), but one of the cousins was a good bud of mine up here in Central California. Had some really great old bikes himself.

Barbarosa - 4-21-2011 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa
Years ago she signed Jimmy Smith's book for me (after he had). He was the sixth entry in her Guest Book of 1953.

We didn't eat there this time but I did have one and all sign the book.

Well, that certainly was muddled. (Too many books.)

I had one and all of *our* enterage sign *her* guest book.

cjesme - 4-21-2011 at 08:33 AM

I have pictures of her but can't seem to download them on here?????
I can't seem to figure out why! She looks great though.

David K - 4-21-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Maybe someone should do them the favor of telling them :light: That would give them a chance to improve and be more successful. It is after all Mama Espinoza's place and she is so loved, it's a shame that the restaurant is no longer held in high regard by so many. I think also nowadays people expect more than they did years ago, I do anyway. One reason is cost, it's not cheap to eat there or many other places. When you can get an excellent taco at stand for so cheap it's hard to justify paying WAY more for mediocrity.

Where is ELINVESI8R (David) at ??? He is practically an adopted son of Mama (Anita)...

David K - 4-21-2011 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjesme
I have pictures of her but can't seem to download them on here?????
I can't seem to figure out why! She looks great though.

Use photobucket.com, click 'customize your upload options' before loading photos from your PC to Photobucket, and pic a size no bigger than 800 pixels.

Below are three we took in July of 2009... Mama signing the book about her life SHE says IS the accurate one and gives her birth year as 1910!

Another book, an autobiography by Anita, gives the more recognized year as 1908, along with her siblings:

[Edited on 4-21-2011 by David K]

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-21-2011 at 02:28 PM

One day in March 2011 during my regular two week visit, I was sitting talking to her when she told me "My son let me knit for you some pantuflas to take home with you because they will be the last ones my dear." She then said "It's almost Goodbye Charlie." It took her almost one entire week to finish them because she cannot see with one eye and has trouble seeing with the other. As you can imagine they were not as pretty as she once made them. I will treasure them like gold. Please stop in and see her when you are in town. She loves talking to people. Tell her that her son David sends his love.

David K - 4-21-2011 at 02:31 PM

Beautiful David, just beautiful!

David K - 4-21-2011 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
dumb question: where is this place? I could have sworn I saw a sign with this same name near punta banda, but it sounds like this is further south

EL ROSARIO... 200 miles south of Rosarito Beach, on Hwy. 1... Espinoza's place is just past the Pemex and Baja Cactus Motel, on the shrp left corner the highway makes.

Bajahowodd - 4-21-2011 at 04:03 PM

Seems to me that complaints about Mama Espinoza's boils up to the surface about every two years, or so, on this forum.

My own opinion is that:

The property is iconic. Dona Anita is something close to being a saint in Baja lore.

The food has never been anything to write home about.

Perhaps the most important point to make is that El Rosario represents the first real civilization after a long haul, for those headed North and the last of same for Southbound travelers.

I find it somewhat ironic that Antonio provides one of the best flops along Mex 1, but that getting a meal in this town just doesn't seem to ever rise above acceptible, at best.

Breakfast is not a difficult meal to prepare and serve, and should not reflect the achievement/ quality of any given restaurant, with the obvious exception of the few that can knock your socks off with breakfast.

That said, knowing Antonio to be a very savvy businessman, even though DK mentioned that he had no plans for a restaurant, my take on it is that in defference to Dona Anita, no such plans exist, prior to her passing.

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2011 at 04:45 PM

and that seems like a good idea, if that is in fact the case ....

Pompano - 4-21-2011 at 04:55 PM

We never fail to stop, take a photo, have something to drink, sign the book again...first time was 1973, I believe....but most important..... wax nostalgic. It's a icon of yesteryear on The Baja Road.

If you think this place is about the food...you've missed something legendary.

But..to each his own.

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-22-2011 at 10:45 AM

MAMA ESPINOZA'S LAST PANTUFLAS

All good things die eventually

mcfez - 4-23-2011 at 07:32 AM

I have heard about this place many times from the BN and friends that have visited there. I also have read about it too in the book "Baja Legends".

Many years have pass since the original founder was in the kitchen ........so to speak. Passing ownership or management to another person....whether it's a family member or business partner or outsider........usually ruins the business with their alternatives on how to run the business.

Price of wholesale food will deem the death of a restaurant too ......sometimes. Instead of raising the price on the menu to retain their quality of food.....they will buy cheap substitute that shows up fast on the out going platter to the tables.

I have witnessed this several times.....watching my own clubs go to Hell within months of selling them.

To show example here:

Back in the late 50's....Mum and dad would pile us kids up in the Ford Country station wagon......and head for Knott's Berry Farm. We would feast at the restaurant after having to stand in a very long line....waiting to get in.

All home made stuff. No less. Holy Gods!

Years later....2001 or so.....I took my Nicky and Jeanette there for dinner. Boxed biscuits, chicken was gummy and chewy, potatoes were instant (?), canned gravy....and the berry pie was real trash. This joint was so changed!

Yes.....even in Baja.....time ends all.

Untitled-1.jpg - 48kB

David K - 4-23-2011 at 07:49 AM

Love the menu... as a kid, I too remember the long lines for a chicken dinner at Knott's!

Just what the Hell happened Deno?? When my parents were older (our current age), things were still great... or better than when they were young (depression)...

Was America's greatness just a freak thing, or can we get it back? Some say we peaked with the moon landing in 1969? Things were prosperous here in SoCal until 2007 or soon after.

mcfez - 4-23-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Love the menu... as a kid, I too remember the long lines for a chicken dinner at Knott's!

Just what the Hell happened Deno?? When my parents were older (our current age), things were still great... or better than when they were young (depression)...

Was America's greatness just a freak thing, or can we get it back? Some say we peaked with the moon landing in 1969? Things were prosperous here in SoCal until 2007 or soon after.

I dunno David...it's sad that the way of life has change. I have tried to chase back to it......with only disappointing results. That's a major reason why I am in Baja...it's close to what the 50's felt like.

Took my young Nicky to see my childhood home that was soooo cool. Dead end street with 19 homes on it. 17 of the homes had kids too. Wow...the summer forts, the putting a paper bag over your head and ringing the door bells ....mumbling "boooo", the Good Humor Man truck.....and my favorite was the Helm's bakery truck. All gone now...including my childhood home. Replaced with a freakin Miami Vice looking house!

David.....here's a very tough question for you (and anyone else here)(I know the answer):

What was the name of the guy (mannequin) inside of the jail house at Knott's Berry Farm? He would talk to you.....knew your name...your dog's name.....what you had for lunch...so on!

I have the name!

Howard - 4-23-2011 at 09:34 AM

Not that I would ever want to take advantage of a situation BUT how many Pacifico's is it worth for the answer?

BajaGringo - 4-23-2011 at 09:40 AM

We stop for breakfast/lunch/dinner at Mama's every time we pass through town. Never had a bad meal and just being able to feel the history of the place and say hi to Mama again makes it top shelf in my book.

Pomp said it best...

BAJACAT - 4-23-2011 at 11:27 AM

I think eating here is a must, a tradition just like Carmelita the Tamales Lady..
When I go to Laguna Hanson, we always go and buy some beers with señora Ramona on the entrance to the park.. even do I always have my cooler full of beer, it's something that we always do.So eating in Mama Espinoza is a traddition to me, like Bajahowodd coment, the food it's not that special, it's just that place is a BAJA icon just like MAMA is.... I will never stop eating there even if I get sick..(cross my fingers)...

Packoderm - 4-23-2011 at 11:31 AM

The bistek ranchera has always been good. I'll keep stopping there once for every round trip south and north.

Thanks For Getting It

Bajahowodd - 4-23-2011 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I think eating here is a must, a tradition just like Carmelita the Tamales Lady..
When I go to Laguna Hanson, we always go and buy some beers with señora Ramona on the entrance to the park.. even do I always have my cooler full of beer, it's something that we always do.So eating in Mama Espinoza is a traddition to me, like Bajahowodd coment, the food it's not that special, it's just that place is a BAJA icon just like MAMA is.... I will never stop eating there even if I get sick..(cross my fingers)...

You obviously were able to expand on what I was trying to say. Mama's is just one of a very few places where folks stop to absorb the history. If they really like what they were served, so much the better.

BajaBlanca - 4-23-2011 at 04:59 PM

precisely.

Pompano - 4-23-2011 at 05:12 PM

I kinda think this is a no-brainer with all Baja Road vets.

If you like Baja history..stop and enjoy the nostalgia.

If you are just looking to get fed, and then want to pile on complaints about a famous Baja legend.. Mama's.....ignore the place and drive around the corner....it's not about the food.

bajamigo - 4-24-2011 at 08:43 AM

Then why doesn't the family preserve the good will she has earned over the years by closing the restaurant and converting it to a museum?

David K - 4-24-2011 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Then why doesn't the family preserve the good will she has earned over the years by closing the restaurant and converting it to a museum?

There already is a Anita (Mama) Eapinoza museum... across the highway, just around the sharp turn... See photos on the first two pages of this April, 2006 trip web site: http://vivabaja.com/406/

(one of the photos was included in the Baja Calendar a couple years back)

Doug/Vamonos - 6-28-2011 at 07:20 PM

I work with a previous Ops Manager at Knotts. I'll ask him tomorrow about the manequin in the jail. He probably knows the answer.

As for the food in Baja. It's Baja. If you ever expect clean, fresh, or US standards, you'll be disappointed. Be happy finding somewhere to eat when you're in the middle of the friggin' desert.

Bob H - 6-28-2011 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos
I work with a previous Ops Manager at Knotts. I'll ask him tomorrow about the manequin in the jail. He probably knows the answer.

As for the food in Baja. It's Baja. If you ever expect clean, fresh, or US standards, you'll be disappointed. Be happy finding somewhere to eat when you're in the middle of the friggin' desert.

There are MANY great places to eat along the way down through Baja. Mama's is just not one I could choose to go to these days.

mcfez - 6-29-2011 at 07:12 AM

Quote:

It was Joe :-)

David K - 6-29-2011 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

There are MANY great places to eat along the way down through Baja. Mama's is just not one I could choose to go to these days.

...and yet, I have never had a bad meal there... and service was greatly improved as of 2 years ago when her grandson was in charge instead of daughter Roli. Before, it was a bit slow... but that is typical for most Baja restaurants where it is considered rude to rush any of the service of give you a bill before you ask for it.

Doug/Vamonos - 6-29-2011 at 10:04 AM

Actually it was Sad Eye Joe.

Doug/Vamonos - 6-29-2011 at 10:09 AM

Some cool historical info on KBF.

http://thenostalgialeague.com/expedition/knotts/knotts1.html

Doug/Vamonos - 6-29-2011 at 10:22 AM

More.

http://www.octhen.com/2005/04/knotts-berry-farm.htm

mcfez - 6-29-2011 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Actually it was Sad Eye Joe.

Wow!!!! After 50 years of me calling him Joe! never knew the Sad Eye part. Txs! Funny.....I bought this farm a few years ago...and we are growing.........Boysenberries!

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2011 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
...and yet, I have never had a bad meal there...

perhaps you are gourmand but not a gourmet :lol:

greengoes - 6-29-2011 at 02:24 PM

Steeped in Baja History and average Mexican food.

Still a Landmark to be seen.

[Edited on 6-29-2011 by greengoes]

Bajamatic - 6-29-2011 at 02:46 PM

Last time I ate there I peeed out the wrong hole for 12 straight hours the following day from El Rosario to Mulege in the worst storm I've ever had to drive through.

:!:

ELINVESTIG8R - 6-29-2011 at 03:38 PM

Like I say if you don't like it don't stop and eat there. Trust me Mama Espinoza's Restaurant will survive without you!

mojo_norte - 6-29-2011 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes

Steeped in Baja History and average Mexican food.

Still a Landmark to be seen.

[Edited on 6-29-2011 by greengoes]

Good one !!( graphic)

mama espinoza's

oldtortisegrl - 7-10-2011 at 02:48 PM

We ate there on our way south....8 of us. We will never return either. After we all sat down we realized the prices were high. Ate there anyway, food was nothing special and paid a huge tab for tacos mostly. My bad.

David K - 7-10-2011 at 03:02 PM

Mama's is not the place to stop for tacos, IMO... Plenty of taco stands and Hugo's 'Tacos Mision', along the highway through town. Breakfast at Mama's is always a safe bet (for us anyway) and next door to Baja Cactus if you want to walk to your meal.

Bajahowodd - 7-10-2011 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo

Hmmm. Perhaps because a whole lotta folks rely on their jobs there???

And, I go back to a couple of things mentioned by Davidk and the other David.

In the case of Davidk, about never having a bad meal there, it's mostly about personal taste. Obviously, if the majority of folks came away feeling like they had a crappy meal, the restaurant would go out of business.

That said, the "other" David, Elinvestigator, has it right.

Anyone who came away and complains, just don't go back. There will still be many who enjoy their experience.

And, as I posted earlier, dining at Mama's is at least as much about the history of Baja as it is about the food. Enjoy!

goldhuntress - 7-10-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
Like I say if you don't like it don't stop and eat there. Trust me Mama Espinoza's Restaurant will survive without you!

That may or may not be true. Lots of famous restaurants have gone out of favor and closed, even one's with "nostalgia and history". My BF got sick last time he ate there, breakfast by the way, that's worse than food not tasting good, that's bad food or unsanitary conditions. Not the only person on this thread to get sick either so it wasn't an isolated incident. Plus, how much harder is it to serve good food and do better than just survive? I feel bad saying this because I'd love to support them, write great reviews and say nice things about the place but I can't at this point.

Bajahowodd - 7-10-2011 at 06:52 PM

Aw, geez. goldhuntress actually made me wonder about the issue of food safety.

I would imagine that Espinoza's would not be much different from the other eating emporiums in El Rosario. Would guess that there's a central source for much of the food served at the local restaurants.

That said, given that El Rosario is maybe 1/2 hour South of San Quintin, which strikes be as being much more cosmopolitan, I just have to wonder about the number of posts I've seen about folks getting sick after eating in El Rosario.

Too insular?

oldtortisegrl - 7-11-2011 at 04:01 PM

Honored Nomad you are right! My favorite fish tacos, at least the ones I visited were the cart across from McDonalds in Ensenada, McLulu's in Loreto, and one in Todos Santos. How about you?

toneart - 7-11-2011 at 04:44 PM

As I have testified here in the Nomad court, I got horrible food poisoning from eating Crab Burritos (Jaiba) and had to lay up for three days at the Baja Cactus. The day after, I passed out in the room. I thought I was going to die. The staff there was quite concerned and looked in on me often.

I have also heard from reliable sources that my crab experience is not all that uncommon at Mama's. However, a few years later, I do go in there but I will never eat any kind of seafood. They are OK for breakfast and for dinner if you eat chicken or maybe Chile Rellenos.

The purpose for this posting is not to dissuade people from going in. But I do have a responsibility to warn people of their food handling, refrigeration, or shelf time. I want people to know what to avoid and what to expect. Then, go in and enjoy it for what it is.

I have met Mama and talked with her twice. I really respect the good that woman has done in her life. I am in awe of her and the sense of history the restaurant represents. Of course, the management of the restaurant is many years past her guidance. She basks in the memories and the good Karma she has earned. Buy one of her books.

The place had taken a noticeable turn upward in quality of food and service when her grandson, whom I met, took over. Unfortunately, the last time I was in, the daughter was again managing it. The service was slow, no personality, and the food was too pricy for the so-so quality they were once again serving.:( I am not sure if she trades off with the grandson or whether she is there full time again.

The main reason I go in is because it is conveniently located near The Baja Cactus Hotel, and that is worth a lot after driving all day and being tired. So...I complain but still go in. :rolleyes::wow:

Russ - 7-11-2011 at 05:39 PM

Exactly!

"The main reason I go in is because it is conveniently located near The Baja Cactus Hotel, and that is worth a lot after driving all day and being tired. So...I complain but still go in. :rolleyes::wow:"

Last time I eat there the Errachera (sp) was OK but the rellenos looked good but were not consumable. I think the grease they were cooked in was really bad. The next day we headed north and had a few extra emergency stops and she had a painful stomach. She only tried a couple bites and I had a taste with out swallowing and was OK.

Bajahowodd - 7-11-2011 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Exactly!

"The main reason I go in is because it is conveniently located near The Baja Cactus Hotel, and that is worth a lot after driving all day and being tired. So...I complain but still go in. :rolleyes::wow:"

Last time I eat there the Errachera (sp) was OK but the rellenos looked good but were not consumable. I think the grease they were cooked in was really bad. The next day we headed north and had a few extra emergency stops and she had a painful stomach. She only tried a couple bites and I had a taste with out swallowing and was OK.

As noted on a different thread, Antonio, good guy that he is, is being defferential to Dona Anita.

Do not blame him a bit. She is a Baja icon.

Just figure that given her current age, that sadly, she won't be around all too long.

Once that happens, things will change in El Rosario.

Truly no disparagement to Dona Anita or to her restaurant.

But times and things do change.

David K - 7-12-2011 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
The place had taken a noticeable turn upward in quality of food and service when her grandson, whom I met, took over. Unfortunately, the last time I was in, the daughter was again managing it. The service was slow, no personality, and the food was too pricy for the so-so quality they were once again serving.:( I am not sure if she trades off with the grandson or whether she is there full time again.

The main reason I go in is because it is conveniently located near The Baja Cactus Hotel, and that is worth a lot after driving all day and being tired. So...I complain but still go in. :rolleyes::wow:

X2 this!

In 2009, when the grandson was in charge, it was a new place, fast service and good food... If Roli (Mama's daughter) is in charge again, then that would explaing the change.

Roli is a sweetheart, but obviously not the best restaurant person. Good thing there are dozens of other restaurants and taco stands in town!

toneart - 7-12-2011 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

X2 this!

In 2009, when the grandson was in charge, it was a new place, fast service and good food... If Roli (Mama's daughter) is in charge again, then that would explaing the change.

Roli is a sweetheart, but obviously not the best restaurant person. Good thing there are dozens of other restaurants and taco stands in town!

I agree. Roli is a nice person.

vacaenbaja - 7-18-2011 at 02:37 PM

I hate to say it but the food blows. In the old days the food was good.
Not so the last three times I have tried. Being next door to the Baja
Catus figured greatly in having breakfast there. Ugg! There are much
better places in El Roasrio.
Another place where the food has gone down hill has been the Malarimo.
Once an excellent place to eat. This last time out I had breakfast there
with my friend. Upon serving us he quips "I hate canned beans" Pretty
sad when a simple breakfast cannot be made. We were their first
customers that morning. It all started to make sense. I when I saw
next to all the awards that Enrique Achoy earned "D.E.P. Enrique;
coupled with the handwritten advertisment at the market that said
Chef wanted inquire at the Malarrimo. I guess that the chef did not pass on his recipes or if he did those that learned moved on.

[Edited on 7-19-2011 by vacaenbaja]

JESSE - 7-18-2011 at 03:52 PM

Thats it. If all these americans who come down here and like places like Rancho Viejo, Bismarcito, and so on and so fort, say the food at Mamas suck, then it must suck.

Bajahowodd - 7-18-2011 at 04:35 PM

One thing that may be an overrriding issue concerning Baja restaurants is that when business declines, there are decisions that have to be made, just to stay in business.

I;m actually hardpressed to condemn many of the iconic Baja restaurants, simply because they are struggling to survive.

That said, I have been disappointed in my recent visits at many places that I have frequented over the years.

Without going into details, I will say that El Rey Sol in Ensenada. Mama Espinozas in El Rosario, Malarrimo in Guerrero Negro, and Domingo's Place in Loreto, have all disappointed me recently, just based upon a comparison to their past performance.

But, as I mentioned, I really have to wonder if it's more about the economy than anything else.

Lo posado posado (the past, it is past)

thebajarunner - 7-18-2011 at 05:28 PM

Sorry - we all have our Mama's tales to tell, and it was such a memorable spot in our Baja history.

But I have to agree with the majority, they should close it up and just sell t shirts and curios, I have not had decent food there in years. When trapped into eating there I just get a bowl of soup and some tortillas to hold me to the next decent meal down the road.

First time there..... November 1971, close to closing time, headed for El Arco to support our racer (who never got past Camalu)
When I tasted those lobster burritos I was hooked, and then some.

November 1972, arrived just after closing on a 1000 pre-run (Chuck and I finished second in the trucks)
Beat on the screen door and they finally handed out some lobster burritos which we took across to the cemetery, ate them with some Carte Blancas and again, it was divine.

That was then, this is now.
Best thing that could happen to the place is for the kitchen to burn down, collect the insurance, and give it up- but there is not much to give up IMO

David K - 7-19-2011 at 10:55 AM

Many a place in Baja can have a bad day of poor food or poor service... Your attitude will help you enjoy things, when they may not be up to par. I have been 'lucky' at Mama's for the most part... bad service (slow) was the only issue when Rolli was in charge... Perhaps because Rolli wasn't around that day? La Bocana Beach Restaurant used to be great for breakfast or dinner... but the last few times both food and service was off.

Never had any disappointments at Ed's BAJA'S BEST or Hugo's TACOS MISION... so we usually go to those two places most of the time.

drarroyo - 7-19-2011 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Best thing that could happen to the place is for the kitchen to burn down, collect the insurance, and give it up-

:lol::lol::lol: a true baja aficioando! (sp) hahaha too funny

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-19-2011 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Sorry - we all have our Mama's tales to tell, and it was such a memorable spot in our Baja history.

But I have to agree with the majority, they should close it up and just sell t shirts and curios, I have not had decent food there in years. When trapped into eating there I just get a bowl of soup and some tortillas to hold me to the next decent meal down the road.

First time there..... November 1971, close to closing time, headed for El Arco to support our racer (who never got past Camalu)
When I tasted those lobster burritos I was hooked, and then some.

November 1972, arrived just after closing on a 1000 pre-run (Chuck and I finished second in the trucks)
Beat on the screen door and they finally handed out some lobster burritos which we took across to the cemetery, ate them with some Carte Blancas and again, it was divine.

That was then, this is now.
Best thing that could happen to the place is for the kitchen to burn down, collect the insurance, and give it up- but there is not much to give up IMO

You are such an imbecile to suggest that a place where many people depend on their livelihood to support their families should burn to the ground. Hey dummy, here is a News Alert for you. If you don't like to eat a Mama Espinoza’s place don’t. They won’t miss you.

BajaGringo - 7-19-2011 at 12:22 PM

Not sure if we are just lucky or our taste buds have all died but I travel through El Rosario a couple of times a month and always stop at Mama's to have lunch along the way; sometimes alone but usually with friends / business associates.

Can't think of a single time we had a bad meal...

:?:

Lee - 7-19-2011 at 01:46 PM

Quote:
You are such an imbecile to suggest....

Hey dummy, here is a News Alert for you. If you don't like to eat a Mama Espinoza’s place don’t. They won’t miss you.

You don't like someone's opinion so now you're going to start name calling? You angry about something?

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-19-2011 at 03:53 PM

When some scoundrel says the place should be burned to the ground it's going to anger me to no end. Yeah I'm angry!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Hey dummy, here is a News Alert for you. If you don't like to eat a Mama Espinoza’s place don’t. They won’t miss you.

You don't like someone's opinion so now you're going to start name calling? You angry about something?

JESSE - 7-19-2011 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
When some scoundrel says the place should be burned to the ground it's going to anger me to no end. Yeah I'm angry!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! if i remember correctly, el investi has been the number one fan and ardent supporter of a man that makes his living ripping people off and destroying their lives. And now this same fool comes here claiming he is angry and wants to protects someones livelihood???? what a bunch of crap!!!

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-19-2011 at 03:58 PM

Jesse do not get on the wrong side of me. You and I patched things up as I recall and now you are back with your slings and arrows. Ok...

JESSE - 7-19-2011 at 03:59 PM

Pages:  1