BajaNomad

TJ Border crossing changes

ElCap - 4-27-2011 at 02:04 PM

Crossed northbound yesterday at San Ysidro - for folks that don't know the route through TJ has completely changed. There is no more loop that brings you along the border fences, but rather you go straight through El Centro commercial district, by the cemetary (now 4 lanes northbound, but the old yellow double-center lines are still there, which will bring you to the old poorly-marked split where you have to decide quickly to get in one of two center lanes to begin the long crawl to the border gate, or otherwise drive around TJ again with a racing heart and try to get in the correct line again. Our wait yesterday midday was just under two hours. And now there is major construction beginning just on the US side of the border crossing, and the BP agent informed us that our 2-hour wait will soon be more like 6-7 hours. He said construction will be completed sometime in 2013. Times they are a-changing.

Crossing

bajaguy - 4-27-2011 at 02:11 PM

First, get a SENTRI for you and your car........

$122 for you and $42 for your car...total of $164 and it's good for 5 years. If you cross twice a year, it's only $16.40 each crossing...........beats sitting in line for two hours!!!

Crossed at Otay yesterday at noon, 12 minutes in the SENTRI lane. :lol:

ElCap - 4-27-2011 at 03:09 PM

I have considered the SENTRI pass, but I often drive with different friends, and everyone in the car needs to have a pass to use that lane. Also you cannot tow a trailer or boat in that lane, which I sometimes do. So all in all there are too many rules that have made it not attractive to my travel needs up to this point. But that might change if it gets as bad as predicted. Any other viewpoints/comments on SENTRI?? I've been using the Tecate crossing more and more - and they don't have a SENTRI lane there - nor is one needed - yet.

lizard lips - 4-27-2011 at 09:10 PM

Using Sentri you cam expect to get sent to secondary. From what I earned is that it a lottery system and every 500th car gets pulled in. I have been to Secondary many times now using my Sentri but it still beats a two hour wait.

BAJACAT - 4-27-2011 at 09:28 PM

does anybody has the website for the sentry, I did an hour yesterday...it sucks, you can even look out the window cause you have like 5 guys asking you if you want to buy somenthing, and then there is always the one that saids to you "HEY MAN I GOT DEPORTED TODAY FROM LA CAN YOU HELP ME OUT", and thats the same guys you saw two weeks ago...I tell them to go to CASA DEL EMIGRANTE and sak for help and they walk away...lol

Leo - 4-27-2011 at 09:54 PM

Yes it all has changed in TJ. got stuck in the Medical emergy lane and had to turn around right through down town Tj watching for the right way into the RV line, only 2 on the left side. Not fun. Never again. Then had to go to secundary where nobody showed up for 15 minutes. They took a lot of pork meat and would have gotten the dogfood but somehow we prevented that.
An absolute pain TJ into the US.
Tecate next time.

TBcountry - 4-28-2011 at 09:26 AM

Had Sentri for almost 5 years now(used many many times) and have been sent to secondary once, so VERY well worth it

krafty - 4-28-2011 at 10:00 AM

Would not be without sentri-when we have guests that do not we drive thru sentri and they walk across the border-no big deal. We have been called into secondary a # of times but it is random, but it is always pretty quick.
Leo you are lucky you were not fined; pork is a no no!

gallesram - 4-28-2011 at 11:01 AM

Had SENTRI for 2 years and never a problem (and never secondary). One huge benefit is it makes it feasible to fly from TJ anywhere in the country on Volaris (which is fantastic) and the return at Otay is a breeze; otherwise you're stuck in a huge border wait after a long flight. SENTRI also enrolls you automatically into the Global Entry Program which lets you use kiosks at many airports in the US when returning from any foreign country. No more huge lines at immigration; that alone saved me about an hour a few weeks ago flying into LAX from Hong Kong. The most difficult part about SENTRI is figuring out how to access the lanes at San Ysidro; I finally have it down but it took a while to figure it out. Same with Otay Mesa. We do the same thing with non-SENTRI passengers; drop them at the pedestrian crossing and meet them on the other side; very easy.

krafty - 4-28-2011 at 07:55 PM

have a gripe about walking at Otay a few weeks ago- 9 am and it took over an hour. Only 2 folks working the desk, checking paperwork, and they were treating everyone akin to cattle. Think more manpower is in order.

BAJACAT - 4-28-2011 at 11:05 PM

SO whats the website to apply for SENTRI?

DENNIS - 4-29-2011 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
SO whats the website to apply for SENTRI?

Try this, José:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler/sentri/

The Gull - 4-29-2011 at 07:29 AM

Here is where you interface with your pass. https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/

bajalearner - 4-29-2011 at 08:01 AM

Sentri is good. I use it regularly. I found out they hold me accountable for small things and document each violation. They told me they allow 3 write ups then consider revoking my Sentri. I got written up for a small bag of empty allum. cans in my trunk when I was randomly sent to secondary. I also got written up for not having my sentri card with me after I lost it and thought they would enter my name in the computer and pass me through. That's a no no. I am careful not so not to violate anything now. I find that when I use the cattle lanes (on my motorcycle), they pass me quickly presumably because I present my sentri card.

I daily cross at SY on my motorcycle. I split traffic to the front of the lanes and 99 percent of people allow me to cut in and I get checked fast by the officer. I had my motorcycle issued a sentri pass but after 3 times being told by the gate officer I can't have sentri on my mc, and delaying me up to 15 minutes at the gate while she lectured me before asking another officer who didn't know either. She warned me about my officially issued sentri pass on my mc and sent me on my way.

I just drive my mc into the cattle lanes now.

BajaBlanca - 4-30-2011 at 01:56 PM

i didn't realize the sentri was good for 5 years. that is certainly a great idea. can someone tell us some of the basic rules they enforce besides

1. must have the pass on hand
2. only driver can go thru and passengers walk

????

TBcountry - 4-30-2011 at 02:29 PM

Yes good for 5 years and best $125 I have ever spent. I'm in process of renewing for another 5 years now. To go through Sentri everyone in car must have Sentri, not just driver. Your car must also have Sentri, inspected and a sticker placed on windshield. Apply on-line and after approved you must make appointment and go through interview with appropriate documents needed, they will tell you what docs are needed with approval. Give yourself 2-3 hours to get through it but its SO worth it. You will not be sorry getting Sentri. Longest wait I have had in almost 5 years is about 45 minutes but usually its 15-20. Good luck
TB

TBcountry - 4-30-2011 at 02:32 PM

At intrview they will give you complete list of do's and don'ts.