BajaNomad

16 Days in Baja with your friendly biologist...

ursidae69 - 4-29-2011 at 09:46 AM

Hey there fellow nomads, I thought I'd share a trip report from late Feb into mid-March. I had another epic trip with lots of crazy weather, water, fun, and nature. I love Baja. :cool:

http://www.chucksweb.net/Trips/2011/Baja/Baja2011Main.html

woody with a view - 4-29-2011 at 09:48 AM

humility is a lost art!

looks like a fun trip....

wessongroup - 4-29-2011 at 09:55 AM

Super job... thanks for all the work and sharing....

Natalie Ann - 4-29-2011 at 10:10 AM

What an exciting trip and wonderful trip report, Chuck.
Lots of excellent nature photography, as I've come to expect from you.

So far I've had time only to finish the first section, which leaves me photos to enjoy this weekend.
I'm lookin' forward to that.

Thanks mucho for taking time and energy on the site, for sharing your trip with us.

nena

(EDIT: In case it is not obvious to everyone, click on the pix to see it screen size.)

[Edited on 4-29-2011 by Natalie Ann]

ursidae69 - 4-29-2011 at 10:54 AM

Thx a lot Nena, it was a fun trip. :)

bajajudy - 4-29-2011 at 01:21 PM

Terrific!
Thanks for the report

oladulce - 4-29-2011 at 01:30 PM

I'll be darn, there's really such a thing as a treefrog.;D

Gorgeous pictures and great format for the presentation on your website.

mtgoat666 - 4-29-2011 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Hey there fellow nomads, I thought I'd share a trip report from late Feb into mid-March. I had another epic trip with lots of crazy weather, water, fun, and nature. I love Baja. :cool:

too many pictures, no time to plow through family slide shows, zzzzzzzzzzz

you should post a 10-pic abstract!

the world would be a better place if everyone edited their vacation pictures down to 10 photos or less!

ursidae69 - 4-29-2011 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

the world would be a better place if everyone edited their vacation pictures down to 10 photos or less!

Ahhh, pobrecito, sorry there are so many pics. You can skip it, I give you permission.

shari - 4-29-2011 at 02:39 PM

beautiful photos...felicidades! and I too liked the format...grey is nice. thanks for the great trip report...couple little points...that whale would be upset at your 5' estimate as they are 10-12' long and 5' at the base...I'm just sayin...and the village of agua verde is quite a bit bigger than you estimated too...more like a couple dozen houses, 2 stores, 2 churches...maybe you were in the little ranch area just before the agua verde village?
but...epic trip report with stunning photography.

tripledigitken - 4-29-2011 at 02:41 PM

Very nice photos!

Bajahowodd - 4-29-2011 at 03:47 PM

What a great contribution. Wonderful photos. Must have been an absolute great time.

That said, I'm guessing that our buddy cabra del diablo was merely interjecting a bit of humor about what happens when you visit friends and they want to show you their vacaion pix.:lol:

ursidae69 - 4-29-2011 at 04:23 PM

I was just messin with goat. ;) Thx for all the feedback ya'll and Shari I'll amend some text, thx for the clarification! Don, I like poking fun at myself as much as others. :coolup:

[Edited on 4-29-2011 by ursidae69]

motoged - 4-29-2011 at 04:39 PM

Great trip report !!!!

There IS a road from the Pacific side through El Patrocino (sp?) over to Mission Guadalupe. We rode it in Feb/11 on dirtbikes.

You likely followed the double-track road to where it dead-ends at a rancho.... a rancho before that is where you do a right-handed hairpin turn up over two passes before coming down to Guadalupe.

It is a very rough road in the mountain sections and would be a technical 4-wheel drive in some areas....I would not want to carry kayaks on that road due to the jostling around.

Thanks for the pics and story.

wessongroup - 4-29-2011 at 05:58 PM

cecil b degoat ..... guess there are two ways to perceive it..

motoged - 4-29-2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

Goat,
Take some Ritalin and enjoy the show :biggrin:

Mexitron - 4-30-2011 at 06:15 AM

Awesome trip report! I didn't know I could get any more inspired to do some more exploring in Baja but your report did it.....thanks man.

Skipjack Joe - 4-30-2011 at 07:38 AM

I really enjoyed seeing your images. The northern leg of the journey was my personal favorite.

You should post more often here.

BajaBlanca - 4-30-2011 at 09:58 AM

definnitely post the blog more often - it was a good read. thanks for shring how you get photos of snakes and how you catch the lizards. the bird pics were wonderful too. what an enriching experience.

ecomujeres - 4-30-2011 at 06:46 PM

I second BajaBlanca's comment.

And add that the speed of your trip had my head reeling! Wow, my record botany trip from Santa Rosalia to San Ignacio, usually a 1.5 hr trip, was 8 hours. Hate to think how long it would take me to cover all that you did! Loved the biology notes and great pics.

ursidae69 - 4-30-2011 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. This board is such a great resource, I'm happy to contribute. This trip was way too many miles, that's for sure, but it was planned that way to see as much as possible. I want to do more trips where I go to a mountain range and just sit and explore. I need to win the lottery <sigh>... :cool:

DianaT - 4-30-2011 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
I second BajaBlanca's comment.

And add that the speed of your trip had my head reeling! Wow, my record botany trip from Santa Rosalia to San Ignacio, usually a 1.5 hr trip, was 8 hours. Hate to think how long it would take me to cover all that you did! Loved the biology notes and great pics.

ursidae69, really enjoyed your trip report and your photos. And, really appreciate your traveling with a biologist ---does make one see things differently. :yes:

Debra and Pacifica, las ecomujeres visited us for a few days in Bahia Asuncion, and it really changed the way we saw our surroundings, and at a much slower pace. We spent a few hours crawling around an area about 20x30 feet in San Roque with them and a young researcher who has been in Bahia Asuncion---an area that just looked like a bunch of scrub brush until we were with las ecomujeres and Debra identified about 30 different species of plants!

It is just so different and so much fun.

Keep up your blog and all your reports! They are great.

One is apt to miss this magnificent jewel unless they are with one of those scientific people.

Diana

[Edited on 5-1-2011 by DianaT]

Borregoman - 5-2-2011 at 01:41 PM

Remember, pictures are worth a thousand words.....you told a magnificent account of your trip.

Thanks!!!

ursidae69 - 5-4-2011 at 02:47 PM

Thanks Diana! What a cool tiny flower. I wonder who the pollinator is for such a small flower?

bufeo - 5-4-2011 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
.... I wonder who the pollinator is for such a small flower?

Well, see there're these little guys.. .

Hey there amigo. Nice to hear from you...big time. Wondered why you'd been silent for such a long period. Really enjoyed the report and photos.

You MUST get up to Idaho one of these here days.

Allen R.
P.S. D enjoyed the report/pix too.

On Edit: Isn't Michael some kind of "-ologist" too?

[Edited on 5-4-2011 by bufeo]

bacquito - 5-4-2011 at 04:17 PM

Great report, thanks

ursidae69 - 5-4-2011 at 04:56 PM

Allen!! Long time indeed. I thought you and D were going to make it down last Nov to the FZB trip. Hopefully sometime this year our paths will cross. I'm pretty busy this summer with bird projects, but hope to make it to ID one of these days. ;D I've been off the 4wdtrips and expo boards and here for a while, just too busy. I will work on that.

[Edited on 5-4-2011 by ursidae69]

bufeo - 5-4-2011 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69... I'm pretty busy this summer with bird projects...

Hey, Bear, we have birds in Idaho.

Allen R.