BajaNomad

La Ultima Baja Grande 4WD - Days 1-3 [San Felipe/Shell Island/Gonzaga]

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:09 PM

One week on the Baja Mexico peninsula...It was a great time, and here are the images.

Thanks to my Wife Leidys for taking the photographs and accompanying me on this journey into The Baja.

In Mexicali, the group obtained 7 day Tourist Permits. Here, we photographed ourselves among the Earthquake-damaged municipal buildings that line the U.S. Border in Mexicali.

While obtaining our Visas, Leidys overheard an Immigrant whose wallet was stolen, and who was beaten by thugs near the U.S. Border while inside of Mexico. Leidys was very unnerved by hearing this - background noise that I usually tune out. I reassured her that we would leave soon for an area safe and free of border violence.

San Felipe

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:15 PM

The road to San Felipe was generally in good condition. Only a few sections remained under construction as you can see here.

High Desert 4x4 sponsored the Baja Grande accomodations just north of town!:bounce:

SALUD!:bounce:

Going to Shell Island

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:17 PM

Unpacking the Jeep - I had this Jeep loaded down just like it was a pickup truck.

Leidys ready to visit Shell Island! :bounce:

[Edited on 5-4-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:21 PM

Leidys and I walked along the shore while Jerry and Aaron geared up for a little fishing.

Four Wheeling Shell Island

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:27 PM

With all of our Jeeps idle on the sand, I got that itch to Jeep. Ever cross a lagoon at low tide? Crazy things sometimes happens when you have a few Jeeps on standby in case of a WORST CASE STUCK!

Getting inside of our Jeeps...:?:

The tide was extremely low while we were at Shell Island. In all, it was a fun day on the trail.

Here comes Jerry!

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:30 PM

Back at the main road, we aired up our tires for the 12 mile hike back into San Felipe.

Along the way, a family from Tijuana was seen stuck in the deep sand near town. One towstrap was all it took to free the family in under 5 minutes.:saint:

Meeting with BajaLou!

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:37 PM

The Green House has some great food at bargain prices. That's why Leidys and I know the personnel there so well.

I told Lou that we would meet at El Volcan, but unfortunately, we spent the entire day on Mission Impossible nursing a broken Jeep the day before. Cash was real tight, and after 1 night in El Rosario, we went straight to Los Pinos for our first ATM visit since San Felipe (3 days earlier). Sorry, Lou, David, and Jose. Extenuating circumstances prevented our visiting with all of you.

BajaGringo - 5-3-2011 at 08:46 PM

Great report and photos Ken. What were the temps like?

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:48 PM

The Malecon or Boardwalk was busy on Easter Sunday. Couples were dancing the afternoon away as Bandas performed for tips to hundreds of visitors.

The road to Gonzaga Bay

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:51 PM

The San Felipe leg of Baja Grande came to a close, and we had to move to our next venue - Gonzaga Bay!

Driving on "Easy Street"

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 08:56 PM

The route to Gonzaga Bay felt like "Easy Street". Gone were the back-breaking hours spent on, "That Road." Now, the MX-6 shocks barely flexed - making my Jeep yearn for some actual dirt! We traveled off of the pavement wherever we could, however. Enjoy these photos. I promise to upload more tomorrow evening...

The pavement lasted up until KM 136. Here, Leidys smiles next to El Huerfanito Island. We briefly took over a Baja landmark while thinking about Baja yesteryear.

"Easy Street" BLAH!:(

Ken Cooke - 5-3-2011 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Great report and photos Ken. What were the temps like?

San Felipe was in the low 80s. It felt like we never left Riverside.
Gonzaga Bay and BOLA were in the mid to upper 80s. It felt like Palm Springs.
El Valle de los Cirios and Cataviņa were in the mid 90s. It was too much heat for us to be doing Jeep repair work in the midday sun. I suffered from heat exhaustion as a kid while delivering newspapers a few times, so I knew when too much was too much. It was too hot for camping, IMO. And not being able to wash off in the pools near the Mission Santa Maria was unbearable, leading Leidys and I to seek out a Motel in El Rosario. Good thing my Jeep has A/C.

David K - 5-3-2011 at 10:45 PM

So where is Km. 136 compared to Puertecitos, El Huerfanito or Okie's Landing?

Looking forward to the next part to see what broke on a Jeep and shortened your trip???

Did you hose off all the salt water you drove into, back in San Felipe?

TMW - 5-4-2011 at 08:47 AM

Excellent Ken, love the pixs.

wilderone - 5-4-2011 at 08:59 AM

"...not being able to wash off in the pools near the Mission Santa Maria"

because you couldn't get there or they were dry?

David K - 5-4-2011 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"...not being able to wash off in the pools near the Mission Santa Maria"

because you couldn't get there or they were dry?

Thanks for asking... that was on my mind as well... with Ken and Jeeps, you just never know what will happen!!!??

bajalou - 5-4-2011 at 11:25 AM

I believe Ken said that they didn't reach them because of the problem with one of the jeeps. I don't think they reached the mission.

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 05:13 PM

Correct, Lou. We did not reach the Mission. The farthest point we reached (as a group) was the last dropoff before reaching the Swamp. I drove down to the swamp to observe it, but did not drive in. There, I gassed up, but forgot to strap my gerrycan to the Jeep, and later had to hike back in order to retrieve it.

David K - 5-4-2011 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Correct, Lou. We did not reach the Mission. The farthest point we reached (as a group) was the last dropoff before reaching the Swamp. I drove down to the swamp to observe it, but did not drive in. There, I gassed up, but forgot to strap my gerrycan to the Jeep, and later had to hike back in order to retrieve it.

Wow... to go all that way only to give up 1 mile from the mission! Bummer! It couldn't have been anything close to as deep as it was a year ago after the big rains that blew out the bridges on Hwy. 1?! Of course, we were a group of 4 Toyotas, 1 Dodge and 1 custom Chevy 4WD motorhome! :cool:

More photos please!:bounce:

[Edited on 5-5-2011 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 05:41 PM

Shortly after reaching the end of, "Easy Street" - "That Road" came with a fury. I had adjusted my MX-6 shocks to the 'Firm' setting, and the weak link revealed itself as the Shock Pin which locates the upper eye of the shock absorber.

Aftermarket products have been developed to replace this weak part design, and I plan on making the upgrade very soon.

But, with a pry-bar at our disposal, Aaron took measurements and hacksawed the part before drilling holes in the prybar to locate the improvised shock pin.

The shock pin holes were not lined perfectly, so the part did not work. Construction workers who are currently building, "Easy Street" offered their services for the cold sodas in my ice chest. Who could resist a deal like this?

Running to the machine room to drill the part with better precision...

Gonzaga Bay at last!

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 05:46 PM

A bad waterpump gasket did not keep us from reaching Gonzaga Bay. Jerry loaned me some Stop Leak which did the trick. My Jeep pulled up to the water at Papa Fernandez' camp, and we were able to unload and set up camp for two nights.

Our next step early the next morning was to go for showers. Rancho Grande has new units, but cost $4 per shower! Kinda pricey, but we paid since they are located right along "That Road."

After our showers, we left for La Turquesa Mine.:!:

nbacc - 5-4-2011 at 05:48 PM

Nice pics nancy

La Turquesa Mine (to Hwy 1)

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:12 PM

Our group of 3 Jeeps ambled up the trail to La Turquesa Mine for a bit of exploring with the possibility of reaching Hwy 1 on the other side of a massive canyon.

On the road up to the mine, there was evidence of decomposing wildlife. Jerry investigated.

Thick foilage and volcanic rock stood in our way, but before attempting the impossible, we stopped at La Turquesa Mine for some photos.

Because Aaron is the least adverse to heights, he took his trusty YJ up to the mine entrance!:o

Attempting the route to Hwy 1

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:18 PM

Coming in from Hwy 1 to La Turquesa Mine was this faint hillside road.

Going up in the opposite direction it looks like this.

We eventually turned it around, and headed back to Gonzaga Bay.

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:23 PM

The route got more dense with brush, and our small 33" and 31" tires were no match for the terrain.

Along the road back to Gonzaga Bay was this tempting trio of caves.

At Papa Fernandez' Campo, we examined the beauty of the Bay while our friends fished.

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:26 PM

I took Leidys to dinner at Alfonsina's. The food is good, and it represents the best that Gonzaga Bay has to offer - mostly in terms of ambiance.

Leidys loved Gonzaga Bay!:bounce:

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:29 PM

As a repeat visitor to Gonzaga Bay, I would definitely recommend Papa Fernandez' campo to other tent campers. I would like to return with Leidys to spend additional days camped out and relaxed in the beauty that this Bay offers.

Night became Day, and it was time to depart the Bay...

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:35 PM

The thing I like about Gonzaga Bay, is that you could be anywhere in the world...even, the isle of Ibiza!

To Coco's Corner and Chapala

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2011 at 06:44 PM

The dirt road to Laguna Chapala has not yet been paved, so our knobby tires were able to do what they were engineered to do - provide traction where there sometimes is none. We ended up at Coco's Corner and spoke with Javier - friend of Coco who discussed Coco's condition and the recent treatments Coco had received.

Javier spent some time in the United States, and he spoke like a Sailor - using foul descriptors for effect. But, in the end, he was a nice guy who was down on his luck after being deported from the US.

I checked my fluid levels, but they were holding thanks to the 'Stop Leak' I had added back in San Felipe.

Leidys added to Coco's Register...

Aaron provided a Firefighters emblem patch.

...and suddenly, we were off towards Chapala dry lake and Hwy 1.

[Edited on 5-5-2011 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 5-4-2011 at 09:32 PM

Cool!:biggrin:

Great story and photos, Ken

RT - 5-4-2011 at 10:08 PM

Great story and photos, Ken

mcfez - 5-4-2011 at 11:23 PM

This was just a great report! I felt like I was there with you. Txs.

TMW - 5-5-2011 at 09:02 AM

Excellent Ken, as always the pictures are great. Thanks