BajaNomad

La Paz/Las Arenas May 1st Report

Sirena - 5-4-2011 at 11:42 AM

Monica Beehn from San Francisco has fished our waters here in La Paz often and usually shows the rest of us how it's done like with this trophy-sized cabrilla she holds up in front of Captain Archangel and eat a live sardine near Bahia de Los Muertos.It would be hard to find a guy who is such an enthusiastic angler as Rich Jones who visits us all the way from Utah. I'm glad he got into the tail-end of our great yellowtail bite we've had the last two months. There are still a few YT around up to about 40 pounds, but they're picky now as the waters warm. Rich got this north of La Paz.

It would be hard to find a more enthusiastic angler than Utah fisherman, Rich Jones. He's always on fire for fishing! Glad he got into the tail-end of our great yellowtail bite with this nice forktail he got north of town. There's still a few around up to 40 pounds, but as the waters get warmer we're seeing fewer of the big jacks.Big kisses from our amiga, Lisa Cruz, from Washington who outdid so many of the frustrated veteran anglers by nailing this fat pargo liso on her first try fishing with our Tailhunter fleet of Las Arenas.Mitch Chavira is our San Diego amigo who always rips fish down here, but even he admitted it was "scratchy" compared to other trips. Still, he hung tough and put several nice yellowtail aboard with Captain Juan.

Mike and Mike ("Mike Squared") show off a pretty typical catch with our Las Arenas fleet right now...smaller yellowtail (great eating size!) and pargo! They brought the fillets over to our Tailhunter Restaurant on the malecon for a big cook-up!

Our San Diego amigo, Mitch Chavira makes several trips a year here to La Paz with his son, Cole, and has had many an epic trip, but admitted that it was a bit "scratchy" this past week and they had to work hard for their fish but they still managed several nice yellowtail.

It was a good week for roosterfish for both of our Tailhunter Fleets. The only problem is that I don't have many good photos this week since most of them get released! (which is a good thing!). But the roosters have been 10-50 pounders!A young sealion from the sealion colony north of La Paz checks us out. With waters warming, it's a great time for diving and snorkeling in La Paz. A visit to the sealion colony is always a kick. (See the video clip below)

A MIXED BAG OF FISHING TO FINISH OUT THE MONTH !

It was an interesting week of fishing in La Paz waters. It surely seems like summer already with air temperatures already in the mid to upper 90's and water temperatures not far behind. To put it mildly, I think fish are confused…and so are the anglers! No one know what to make of the early season temperature spikes. The cold water fish like the yellowtail seem to have gone to deeper water. The warm water fish like marlin, sailfish and dorado are acting like the curtain came up too early on showtime! They’re not sure if they are quite ready to bite!

So, bottom line, we’re getting alot of different varieties of fish. No species in overwhelming numbers and every day seems different. Some days it’s better for roosters. Other days, it’s a pargo day. Another day, it’s a smattering of this and that with each panga coming back with a different story about what they caught.

For our Las Arenas fleet, we go into roosterfish up to 40 pounds…pargo up to 24 pounds (with many lost to the rocks)…cabrilla…a few dorado…some sailfish hooked up and quite a few bonito. There’s still some firecracker yellowtail around as well in the 10-12 pound class. Although not good eating, the roosterfish have really been fun this week and a welcome biter when other fish aren’t really going off.

For our La Paz fleet, it appears that we’re about done with the fantastic yellowtail bite of March and April. It has been replaced with pargo, roosters (some big boys too!) and big cabrilla with lots of marlin and sailfish cruising around and seemingly on the verge of biting. In fact, may be by the time you’re reading this, they will be on a full-blown chew. I’m seeing quite a bit of sargasso weed floating in the channel plus sardines and flying fish in abundance. All the conditions seem like they’re coming together!

FLASH NEWS!
Just as I’m writing this, I got a report of some wahoo at the south and north end of Cerralvo Island as well as some slugger yellowtail and some tuna that showed up on the north end! Plus squid floating as well with the commercial guys throwing nets on them! Will keep you posted. We’ll go do some recon!

VIDEO CLIPS OF THE WEEK
Fred and Lisa Cruz put this quick clip together for us of their first ever experience with dorado and pargo fishing with our
Tailhunter Las Arenas Fleet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkmyv36qaQY

On Easter Sunday, we put down the rods for the day and were invited for a day of diving and snorkeling at the sealion colony at Isolotes north of La Paz. I’ve dove with the sealions numerous times over the years and they are always fun. Never the same twice and the young ones are always clowns. It’s a great day activity for a non-fishing day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBBNw5KbKY

That’s our story!
Jonathan and Jill