BajaNomad

Great day on Roosterfish at Punta Arenas de La Ventana

Alan - 5-6-2011 at 11:07 PM

Another great day of fishing with Fishermen's Fleet. Got a personal best today estimated by my panguero to be about 55#'s and my daughter got her first ever around 30#s. Even got a nice 20# Cubera Snapper for dinner. Now that the winds have settled down the water should be warming quickly. Things should really be turning on from here.

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by Alan]

bajabass - 5-7-2011 at 05:39 AM

Way to go Alan!!! Taking the wife out this morning, hoping for the same. Nice meeting you and your daughter. See you when you get back to La Paz!!!

acadist - 5-7-2011 at 08:47 AM

We must of seen each other on the water, I was with Tailhunter all week. Did much better on the La Paz side on Thursday with a huge amberjack, 3 big yellowtail a large cabrilla and other asstd table fare :spingrin:

tiotomasbcs - 5-7-2011 at 09:50 AM

Sounds like lot's of fun!! Love mornings on the Cortez and the excitement of gettin into the fish. Is Fishermans Fleet same as TailHunters? Los Muertos Bay, verdad? Does anyone know of a good guide/panga out of El Sargento--La Ventana? I will search as I remember someone giving a recomendation. Cheap rooms/small hotel?? Fishing is picking up and I'm itchin to get into the action.:D Tio

Von - 5-7-2011 at 09:55 AM

Id love to see them pics :bounce:

gnukid - 5-7-2011 at 10:23 AM

Those rooster fish are amazing, do you eat the big ones?

[Edited on 5-7-2011 by gnukid]

Cypress - 5-7-2011 at 12:29 PM

Rooster fish are a Jack Crevalle with frills. Jack's aren't famous for being good eating, but they put up one hell-uv-a fight. There're a lot more Jacks than Roosters. Why? Who knows? Maybe something about their reproduction habits, or possibly competition at some point in their life cycle?:?:

drarroyo - 5-7-2011 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Sounds like lot's of fun!!

unless you're the fish of course! just sayin'

stimbo - 5-8-2011 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Sounds like lot's of fun!! Love mornings on the Cortez and the excitement of gettin into the fish. Is Fishermans Fleet same as TailHunters? Los Muertos Bay, verdad? Does anyone know of a good guide/panga out of El Sargento--La Ventana? I will search as I remember someone giving a recomendation. Cheap rooms/small hotel?? Fishing is picking up and I'm itchin to get into the action.:D Tio

Ask for Lalo in La Ventana. I don't recall his last name (sorry) but everyone knows him. His house is on the west side of the road as you enter La Ventana.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 5-8-2011 at 12:11 PM

Hola tiotomasbcs,

tailhunters is jonathon roldan and fisherman's is davey jones, two different but very good outfitters.

i have numbers of pangeros in the las arenas/muertos bay area that are inexpensive. however, they do not provide the amenities of the outfitters: transportation, rooms, food, water, ice and fishing gear.

last year, they charged us $ 140.00 U.S. for an older super panga with a 90 horse honda 4 stroke and $ 100.00 U.S. for an older bare bones panga with a 50 horse honda 4 stroke. both are very adequate. fish cleaning is included but cost of bait is not.

i can't quite remember the gas prices then but, they may have raised their prices accordingly. it'll still be a bargain !

they launch out of muertos bay when it's slightly windy and from las arenas when it's not.

i'll be more than happy to give the names and phone numbers to you or anyone else.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT