BajaNomad

Making Bait

MaxStar - 5-12-2011 at 03:17 PM

Is it legal/ acceptable for a gringo such as myself to make my own bat with a cast net?

Thanks.

Cypress - 5-12-2011 at 03:32 PM

No.

Pescador - 5-12-2011 at 04:20 PM

It is not totally clear about that. I have talked to the PESCA office at length and most said that a small throw net was different than the other types of nets. So at best I will say it may depend on your area. Check witht he PESCA office and see what the locals think. I was told at La Paz, Los Muertos, and La Ventana that it was OK, same for Santa Rosalia, but all bets were off at Cabos. But sabikis are usally more effective for good bait anyway. I only throw a net a few times a year for sardinitas and only when I am targeting cabrilla in certain area.

capt. mike - 5-12-2011 at 05:19 PM

i think you might need a masters level baiting license to use a throw net of certain size.

you'd have to qualify as a master baiter.:lol::lol::lol:

vandenberg - 5-12-2011 at 06:16 PM

Know lots of guys in the Loreto area with their own thrownets. However they have no clue as of how to use it .
Nothing easy about using one, unless someone teaches you.
Lesson, buy your bait and support your local fisherman.

MaxStar - 5-13-2011 at 06:06 PM

I was taught by a local fisherman and I'm good at throwing it. Anyway I guess I'll research it further for each specific area when I'm there. Thanks.

BajaBruno - 5-13-2011 at 11:26 PM

I have a throw net, was shown by a local fisherman how to use it, and I still suck at it. It is a different talent than catching a football. Now I buy bait or use a sabiki.

choyero - 5-14-2011 at 04:54 AM

I believe it says you can't use a net on the back of your fishing license, but mine is buried out in the boat so I can't verify.