BajaNomad

Abalone season in full swing

shari - 5-14-2011 at 09:44 AM

Abalone season has been going very very well here in Asuncion. Last years cold water temps have been great for fattening up the abs and the swell hasnt been too big so the divers are working steady. This week, they moved from San Roque (boo hoo) and are working "en la cocina...in the kitchen" which means close to home. Our place is abuzz with compressor hissing in the mornings with several pangas out front both ab pangas and seaweed divers.

some guys bring flowers...Juan brought me this critter today...he says they are a nuisance because they eat the abalone!!! wow..pretty strong arms to pry out an abalone!

Udo - 5-14-2011 at 10:24 AM

I adore eating abalone as much as lobsters, Shari!

We'll drop by for a couple of days this coming December between Christmas and New Year's weekends. What days do you have open?
p.s. we are driving down in the Toyota FJ, not the RV.

[Edited on 5-14-2011 by Udo]

tiotomasbcs - 5-14-2011 at 10:46 AM

Yum, yum, yum! Mi favorito. The weather and seas have been great for kayak fishing and diving! Little swell and clear skies. Good luck guys! Tio

shari - 5-14-2011 at 11:07 AM

perfect time to come Udo...party time...still great yellowtail fishng and maybe even tuna...look forward to seein ya...and tio...see you even sooner!

BFS - 5-14-2011 at 11:14 AM

cuidado!
That "swell hasn't been too big" is about to change BIG time...

Woooosh - 5-14-2011 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BFS
cuidado!
That "swell hasn't been too big" is about to change BIG time...

?

shari - 5-14-2011 at 02:03 PM

all right!!!! I LOVE a honkin swell!!! looks like Juan will get some days off starting on wednesday....ab divers can work in about up to 5-6' depending on the area but a swell sure makes their job more difficult and dangerous. Usually they can get their daily quota of 80-100 abs per boat a day in a couple hours.

BFS - 5-14-2011 at 03:33 PM

I love your enthusiasm Shari!! And I feel the same way. If forecasts are anywhere near correct it will be a "tad" over 5 - 6 ft. Which way to go though???North?, South?, East?, or West? I might be waxing up my 8'0"

Curt63 - 5-14-2011 at 03:45 PM

8' gun or fun board?

luv2fish - 5-14-2011 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
all right!!!! I LOVE a honkin swell!!! looks like Juan will get some days off starting on wednesday....ab divers can work in about up to 5-6' depending on the area but a swell sure makes their job more difficult and dangerous. Usually they can get their daily quota of 80-100 abs per boat a day in a couple hours.

How long can the ocean sustain all of this over harvesting ? Why not move to other sustainable forms like farming abulone. All other food that we consume is farmed, i.e. beef, pork, poultry, shelfish and regular fish. I think it wrong from an ecological point of view, to harvest an animal that has a purpose in our ocean simply because flowers weren't available. Let's keep in mind we are only tenants on this planet. From what I see, this place Bahia Assuncion seems to be getting rapped for the benefit of a couple of non native families. We have all seen the decline in fish numbers worldwide which is why I question these excursions being offered to tourists. My intentions aren't to offend anybody, but simply raise awareness of the bad shape that our oceans are in. Please don't take this wrong as it is not my intention to cast aspersions on any person, and I to consume fish, however I try to eat only farmed products.

DianaT - 5-14-2011 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish

How long can the ocean sustain all of this over harvesting ? Why not move to other sustainable forms like farming abulone. All other food that we consume is farmed, i.e. beef, pork, poultry, shelfish and regular fish. I think it wrong from an ecological point of view, to harvest an animal that has a purpose in our ocean simply because flowers weren't available. Let's keep in mind we are only tenants on this planet. From what I see, this place Bahia Assuncion seems to be getting rapped for the benefit of a couple of non native families. We have all seen the decline in fish numbers worldwide which is why I question these excursions being offered to tourists. My intentions aren't to offend anybody, but simply raise awareness of the bad shape that our oceans are in. Please don't take this wrong as it is not my intention to cast aspersions on any person, and I to consume fish, however I try to eat only farmed products.

First, we agree with many of your concerns and sentiments. And in the 1940s-50s before Bahia Asuncion became a town and in the early days, locals tell us about the tons and tons of abalone and lobster that were taken from there. Planes from San Diego would even land on the sand during low tide to collect the bounty from the local fishermen. One old timer tells us that 8 tons were taken out on one day during the time he says Bahia Asuncion was only full of coyotes and fleas!

But thank goodness for government intervention and the fishing co-ops. The lobster and the abalone take are very controlled. For instance, before abalone season the abalone population is evaluated for numbers, size, etc. and the amount that can be harvested is then determined. Same for lobster.

There are also some seeding operations etc., but that is a different story.

Also, ALL of the abalone and lobster in the ocean around there belongs to the co-ops! The co-ops are issued the concession for several years at a time. NO ONE is allowed to fish or dive for these creatures---only the co-op members and other than a few they are allowed to keep, it all goes to the co-op.

Yes, there is some poaching that a few get away with, but for the most part, it is very controlled. There is a patrol that travels that part of the coast 24/7 and there is supposed to be some new radar type equipment---may not be installed yet. But poachers are not dealt with kindly.

The co-ops and the members know that their future needs protection. And for other fish that are legal to take, there are limits these days and authorities watching. It is a good thing some of the "good old days" are GONE.

BTW---we live there part of the year, love the place, and we have NO business interest. The web page that we helped some develop which is still a work in progress, is strictly informational for the town.

We have been asked to add a page about the co-ops and hope to do so---as soon as we catch up with the history and preserve page!

Your questions and concerns are valid and it is a good thing they are not on a path of destroying the abalone population as was done in California! And I agree with your world wide concerns---over fishing in so many areas is so wrong. We hope the controls that allow our friends who are fishing co-op members to continue to make a living, but at the same time, protect the future will continue. A few years ago, one of our friends took us out with him and his partner on a typical lobster catching day so we could take photos and see what they do. It is a lot of hard work! And as do several others, Hector cares deeply about all of the environment around there and the efforts to protect all of it! He loves living and working there.

Diana
Bahia Asuncion Community Web Page

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by DianaT]

luv2fish - 5-14-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

First, we agree with many of your concerns and sentiments. And in the 1940s-50s before Bahia Asuncion became a town and in the early days, locals tell us about the tons and tons of abalone and lobster that were taken from there. Planes from San Diego would even land on the sand during low tide to collect the bounty from the local fishermen. One old timer tells us that 8 tons were taken out on one day during the time he says Bahia Asuncion was only full of coyotes and fleas!

But thank goodness for government intervention and the fishing co-ops. The lobster and the abalone take are very controlled. For instance, before abalone season the abalone population is evaluated for numbers, size, etc. and the amount that can be harvested is then determined. Same for lobster.

Also, ALL of the abalone and lobster in the ocean around there belongs to the co-ops! The co-ops are issued the concession for several years at a time. NO ONE is allowed to fish or dive for these creatures---only the co-op members and other than a few they are allowed to keep, it all goes to the co-op.

Yes, there is some poaching that a few get away with, but for the most part, it is very controlled. There is a patrol that travels that part of the coast 24/7 and there is supposed to be some new radar type equipment---may not be installed yet. But poachers are not dealt with kindly.

The co-ops and the members know that their future needs protection. And for other fish that are legal to take, there are limits these days and authorities watching. It is a good thing some of the "good old days" are GONE.

BTW---we live there part of the year, love the place, and we have NO business interest. The web page that we helped some develop which is still a work in progress, is strictly informational for the town.

We have been asked to add a page about the co-ops and hope to do so---as soon as we catch up with the history and preserve page!

Your questions and concerns are valid and it is a good thing they are not on a path of destroying the abalone population as was done in California! And I agree with your world wide concerns---over fishing in so many areas is so wrong. We hope the controls that allow our friends who are fishing co-op members to continue to make a living, but at the same time, protect the future will continue. A few years ago, one of our friends took us out with him and his partner on a typical lobster catching day so we could take photos and see what they do. It is a lot of hard work! And as do several others, Hector cares deeply about all of the environment around there and the efforts to protect all of it! He loves living and working there.

Diana

Thank You Diane, I recently had the good fortune to visit Baha, and I must say that I was impressed. It just seemed so beautiful and the people so poor that one would think they could come in and exploit the land (ocean ) and people for personal gain. I'm glad to hear that people are thinking about the future and how all these creatures are part of a much bigger picture. Hopefully our children and grand children will be able to see some of this beautiful land that God has touched. God Bless Yall and hope to be back soon.:spingrin:

woody with a view - 5-14-2011 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
8' gun or fun board?

there is no difference on the coast of baja......

the difference lies in how you tell the tales whence you get back onto the internet.

funboard?

woody with a view - 5-14-2011 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Diana

to continue the tingly feeling, the US Navy has been planting 1" baby ab's for the past 15 years or more on the reefs of Sunset Cliffs. they are interested in growth pattens and how far the little buggers roam. don't ask me where or they'll do an "osama" on you.

rest assured the guvmint is looking for ways to re-seed the population that named a surf spot "Abs"........

DianaT - 5-14-2011 at 06:30 PM

Quote:

Thank You Diane, I recently had the good fortune to visit Baha, and I must say that I was impressed. It just seemed so beautiful and the people so poor that one would think they could come in and exploit the land (ocean ) and people for personal gain. I'm glad to hear that people are thinking about the future and how all these creatures are part of a much bigger picture. Hopefully our children and grand children will be able to see some of this beautiful land that God has touched. God Bless Yall and hope to be back soon.:spingrin:

Yes, there is poverty in Baja, and there are middle class and some people with lots of money. And there are many different ways to measure success and wealth. And while I am sure you did not mean it that way, your post seems to equate poor with not so bright. Intelligence is measured in many, many ways, and even the poorest of the poor anywhere in the world, measured by our standards of wealth, are not necessarily sitting ducks; at least that is what I believe.

Woody---good project----too bad it is necessary. Way back in time, back when I was young back in the Middle Ages, there were a lot of abalone in California. It would be good to see them back!

And I would NEVER tell where---where we live in the US, we know some Navy Seals and there is NO WAY we would want to anger them. They are VERY good at what they do. :yes:

wessongroup - 5-14-2011 at 06:43 PM

Some really nice information... to hear ...

A place where people live .... they are something...

Bought a thing once called Sim City... for my kid... boy did I learn a lot about a city....

Thanks to all ... it all helps...

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by wessongroup]

woody with a view - 5-14-2011 at 06:58 PM

Quote:

Woody good project----too bad it is necessary. Way back in time, back when I was young back in the Middle Ages, there were a lot of abalone in California. It would be good to see them back!

And I would NEVER tell where---where we live in the US, we know some Navy Seals and there is NO WAY we would want to anger them. They are VERY good at what they do. :yes:

SEAL Team 6 is a special blend of testosterone. average age of the MEN is 38 years old. YES SIR!!!!!!!!

i remember back in the 60's when i was an ankle biter, my Granny, Mom, Uncle still tell the stories of the surfers who use to bring abalone home and give them to all the neighbors (my family) who had no idea WTF they should do with them.

i have a book written by Judge Baxtley (his son is Brett, a less than savory guy, go figure!) in a box somewheres, that details the life of the lifeguard service in OB and their waterman exploits in Baja in the 60's. think San Quintin and 15 pound lobsters in the bay.......

i gotta dig it out. i need a dose of "old school!"

shari - 5-15-2011 at 07:33 AM

thanks to the strictly controlled ab fishery here, this is one area where the ab population is still fairly healthy and abundant. It is a very small quota that is granted here...just enough to keep the coops solvent and families fed and housed. Asuncion is a prosperous village because of the healthy fishery here.

There is an excellent new project operated by ex fishermen where they are collecting local abalone seed and storing it in case of an ecological disaster so they can re seed the area with the existing strain of abalone which would have a higher chance at success at survival...great idea IMHO...as well they are growing oysters and mano de leon scallops.

Now about that big a$$ swell...supposed to be from the south which is great for us here...maybe even push up some warmer water and you KNOW what THAT means!!! bring it on

surfdoc - 5-15-2011 at 07:47 AM

Whooo Hooo !!! Big South, guess I won't be sleeping with the sound a 2' wave breaking makes inthe bedroom...LOL

When I figure out photobucket and posting pictures, I have shots of up to 20 Large Abalone in the tide pools just outside of town, and these were from one small area.
Asuncion is prob the best managed fishery I have ever encountered!
The Coop understand they need conservation on they're cash cows...and do so with an iron fist! The Vigilantes are very much in control of any possible poaching here, and you just don't even think about doing it!

Oh and the Oysters that are being farmed........SOOO Good on the BBQ!!!!!!!

shari - 5-15-2011 at 07:59 AM

here is a neat website from the Cedros fishing coop...they explain what they do there...this is akin to the coops in ths part of the central pacific coast.

http://www.cedmex.com.mx/eng/index.php?mod=info&op=quien...

http://www.cedmex.com.mx/eng/index.php?mod=info&op=abulo...