BajaNomad

Punta Chivato Dorado Tournement

Russ - 5-14-2011 at 01:35 PM

This is one of the best charity events that the home owners association puts on. Three days of excitement. Come join us it's fun and benefits some needy people. You don't have to fish to have a good time. Check it out here.
http://www.bullsonlytournament.com/index.php?option=com_cont...

Skeet/Loreto - 5-14-2011 at 01:57 PM

Good Luck with your Fishing!!

Russ; Could you ask around and see if any body knows for sure that that Cessna Twin is still buried in the Mud and Water off the end of the Runway, I have a couple of guys who are thinking of diving and taking a look at it.

Thanks Skeet

JESSE - 5-14-2011 at 02:00 PM

See you there!!

Russ - 5-14-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Good Luck with your Fishing!!

Russ; Could you ask around and see if any body knows for sure that that Cessna Twin is still buried in the Mud and Water off the end of the Runway, I have a couple of guys who are thinking of diving and taking a look at it.

Thanks Skeet

I've heard stories about it but I don't remember anyone I know talking about it. In the last 10 years the hurricanes may have taken a toll on it. When did it go in the drink?

BajaBlanca - 5-15-2011 at 12:26 PM

Russ - I have a HUGE favor to ask for: can you radio folks and see if some punta chivatans perhaps have some little fishing poles for kids around ????? we are going to have a LA BOCANA little - medium aged and teen kids competition in a couple weeks.

I am thinking we might go to the Punta Chivato tournament - sounds like loads of fun !!

woody with a view - 5-15-2011 at 01:59 PM

looks like a really fun time.

Pescador - 5-16-2011 at 07:46 AM

Jeez we might get a surprise visit from the most famous chef in La Paz? Last year was a real blast and you need to put this one on your calendar and come to Chivato.
I hate fishing tournaments where all the participants get so ego involved and desperately want to show everyone that they are the best fishermen around when it basically boils down to pure luck. How else could I have gotten bumped out of first place and all the way down to second place?

The fishing was fun, but the Beach Boil dinner with tiki lights on the sand beach, and the Captain's Meeting at Harry and Pam Oxley's house, as well as the Awards Dinner the last night were an absolutely magical weekend. If you are anywhere near Chivato, you need to make sure to come even if you don't fish in the tournament, you can have a ball just attending all the activities. They are hoping to have a little tyke's tournament the same day and now I am trying hard to decide whether to enter the tyke tournament or go out in the boat.

Russ - 5-16-2011 at 07:51 AM

Join in with the tykes ! You'll be taking a lot of pressure of the rest of us:P

BillP - 5-16-2011 at 09:34 AM

What's the status of the beach camping and facilities(showers, outhouses, etc) these days? Did it ever reopen at Chivato?

Russ - 5-16-2011 at 10:19 AM

I haven't been down there in some time. But heard during Easter there were bathrooms and water. Don,t know about showers. Maybe Bobby Luhan will chime in and tell us about what is there now and what he hopes to do this summer.

Hook - 5-16-2011 at 11:03 AM

Do the entered fish become the property of the tournament (probably for the fish tacos?) or do the anglers keep their fish after the weigh-in? The rules dont mention this.

Also, to qualify as an entrant, you need only be at the launch ramp area at the start of the tournament AND be registered prior to the start? I might make the run over but not if there is some type of residency requirement.

Oh yeah..........I see no mention of the cost of the tournament. Are the charitable funds only garnered by selling dinner tickets, raffle tickets and T-shirts???

BillP - 5-16-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I haven't been down there in some time. But heard during Easter there were bathrooms and water. Don,t know about showers. Maybe Bobby Luhan will chime in and tell us about what is there now and what he hopes to do this summer.
Thanks Russ. Last time I was there was around '95, one of the prettiest camping spots on the peninsula.

Russ - 5-16-2011 at 11:22 AM

Tournament is open for anyone not residents only. Entry Form has a bunch of info.. http://www.bullsonlytournament.com/index.php?option=com_cont... . I gotta tell ya that the raffle is a blast! There are some really grand prizes and some really stupid ones so it takes awhile to go through the big stash of prizes. Some people buy $100 worth of tickets.The bar is open the whole time so once in awhile a winner needs a little help to claim a prize.
If you've taken really good care of your catch you may be asked to donate it for the awards dinner the next night. But there is no pressure to give up a nice fish.

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by Russ]

Hook - 5-16-2011 at 11:35 AM

Thanks, Russ. I had only searched the website and didnt download the entry form. Looks like it is 75.00 per angler.

Camping Beach Punta Chivato

R2LUJAN - 5-16-2011 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
What's the status of the beach camping and facilities(showers, outhouses, etc) these days? Did it ever reopen at Chivato?

Hello Amigo Nomads,

YES the camping beach is open to the General public, we colect the trash ,clean the beach & donated 5 outhouses.

The fee is a donation of $ 5.00 dlls per Nigth.(for services).
if you need water or dump station contact los chibatos restaurant they will take care of you.

Soon !: Mini Market store, RV park full service & small cafe, will post pictures and dates.

Operadora Turistica punta Chivato.

Bobby Lujan.

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by R2LUJAN]

PLAYA PCH3.jpg - 32kB

Russ - 5-16-2011 at 12:33 PM

Thanks Bobby.
"Operadora Turistica Punta Chivato"
Oh, I like that name.

yellowklr - 5-16-2011 at 12:52 PM

Any Dorado yet?

R2LUJAN - 5-16-2011 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
Any Dorado yet?

Hola Buddy,

yelow tail, cabrilla, baqueta,cochito.... water getting warmer!!! so dorado any time now....

ill save you some hahahaa...see you soon.

Pescador - 5-16-2011 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Any Dorado yet?

They are not scheduled to appear before the night of the tournament.

Actually we have had a pocket or two of 75 degree water with 74 degrees being the target water temperature for Dorado in our area. There is a lot of Sargasso floating around and some real interesting currents pushing the stuff into some major islands. We did find a few peanut dorado on the way back from Tortuga but nothing of any consequence yet. But the water is warming, bait is good, so there should be some fish by this weekend if the prog charts on Terrafin are any good indication.
They normally start down off of Punta Concepcion in the mine area and if you are staying at Chivato, it is a good run down there and you should be in fish by the time you get here.

Hook - 5-16-2011 at 02:08 PM

Are there working showers at the camping beach, Bobby?

Hook - 5-16-2011 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Any Dorado yet?

They are not scheduled to appear before the night of the tournament.

Now, THAT'S an organized tournament!!!!!!!!! :o

BajaGeoff - 5-16-2011 at 02:28 PM

It's going to be a great weekend! Baja Bound came on board as a sponsor of the tournament a few weeks ago. I am looking forward to my first visit to Punta Chivato and doing some fishing!

Viva Baja!

JESSE - 5-16-2011 at 02:34 PM

I am confused, where is taking place?? i was going to take 30 people with me and do a dinner for 100 people, but now apparently nobody knows where to stay, where to eat, and i am not cooking??

Pescador - 5-16-2011 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I am confused, where is taking place?? i was going to take 30 people with me and do a dinner for 100 people, but now apparently nobody knows where to stay, where to eat, and i am not cooking??

Jesse, we can set you up with the Military in the old restaurant. I would bet that Bobby can set everyone up with the new rooms at the Los Chibatos and the great rooms at the Hacienda. And you have already seen the beautiful camping area on the beach. Now no one has an excuse not to come down and do the tournament.

JESSE - 5-16-2011 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Jesse, we can set you up with the Military in the old restaurant. I would bet that Bobby can set everyone up with the new rooms at the Los Chibatos and the great rooms at the Hacienda. And you have already seen the beautiful camping area on the beach. Now no one has an excuse not to come down and do the tournament.

Thanks pescador, but i am going to have to pass on this one, everybody down here tought it was going to be something a little more comfortable. Its not that my guys are picky or anything, but fish tacos for an awards dinner? and we have to find our own place to stay? its almost like they don't want people from outside Mulege to participate.

Russ - 5-16-2011 at 04:48 PM

Jeese.... Here's a thought ... book the Hacienda for the week before the tourney next year. We had a few awards dinners there so it can handle the crowd and you maybe able to pay for the whole trip from the meal (s) you put together.
Los Chabatos just put on a taco feed for around 40 Sunday.

JESSE - 5-16-2011 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Jeese.... Here's a thought ... book the Hacienda for the week before the tourney next year. We had a few awards dinners there so it can handle the crowd and you maybe able to pay for the whole trip from the meal (s) you put together.
Los Chabatos just put on a taco feed for around 40 Sunday.

Check your U2U

NO Showers...

R2LUJAN - 5-16-2011 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Are there working showers at the camping beach, Bobby?

NO SHOWERS AMIGO ,

Water is to expensive for the rates we are colecting.

we are going to build some showers at the new RV parck in the near future.

Bobby.

Hook - 5-16-2011 at 08:02 PM

Agree completely, Bobby. Thanks for the services you are providing.

BajaBlanca - 5-17-2011 at 03:51 PM

what's the weather like in PC these days ?

Russ - 5-17-2011 at 04:27 PM

Last two days calm in the morning and around 65º - by 11am the breeze picks up to white cap velocity and around 5 or so settles down again to be very pleasant 78º or so. So, now that I've said how nice it's been we'll get the big blow again.

yellowklr - 5-17-2011 at 05:50 PM

Anyone have a fish report??

R2LUJAN - 5-17-2011 at 10:45 PM

THEy spot dorado hoy....o sea to day.

Un cliente saco dos dorados hoy....

yellowklr - 5-18-2011 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by R2LUJAN
THEy spot dorado hoy....o sea to day.

Un cliente saco dos dorados hoy....

Gracias Bobby!

mulegemichael - 5-18-2011 at 08:32 AM

i've heard of some baby dorado in the area but nothing big yet...anyone hear of anything over 10 lbs???....please say yes...and..don't forget that NEXT weekend is the Mulege dorado tourney...captains meeting night of the 25th at jungle jims.

BajaHawk - 5-28-2011 at 08:52 AM

Beach camping open again for Chivato is the BEST news I have heard ALL year.
Excited my younger son will have a chance to see what its all about. See you In late June!:spingrin:

Russ - 5-28-2011 at 09:18 AM

I'm waiting to hear how the Mulege Dorado Tourney is doing on their final day. I have listened to ch. 22 a bit and have heard at least a few boats scored some fish yesterday. Today's a bit bumpier.

[Edited on 5-28-2011 by Russ]

Skeet/Loreto - 5-29-2011 at 01:55 PM

Russ;

Do you know how many of the Fisherman will be using Flys and Fly Line??

I am doing a survey on just how many are fishing the Cortez with Flys as opposed to lures.

Thanks any info appreciated.

Russ - 5-29-2011 at 03:49 PM

Haven't heard of anyone using flies during the tourney. If there are fish around there are a few that have bait and will toss them out and we call that "fly lining".
Using conventional gear no weight.

Hook - 6-5-2011 at 11:13 PM

I have a small contingent of fisherman from Sonora, Mexico who want to fish the Chivato dorado tournament, June 24-26.

We would be cruising over (WEATHER PERMITTING!!) from Sonora on the 24th to register and then fishing the 25-26. If the weather is threatening, we wont cruise the 80+ miles by boat. So, we are looking for accommodations IN CHIVATO for the nights of the 24-26, if weather allows.

There are four of us. We would be coming over on a 25 Grady and would like to anchor off the launch ramp/hotel area and sleep on shore somewhere. Prefer to be close to the beach/boat or we might consider one of the newer hotels over there. Not the Italian Job. Unfortunately, the new ones dont appear to be within quick access to the boat.

If anyone knows of a resident who is willing to let four fishermen (3 gringos and 1 Sonorese) from San Carlos, Sonora, crash at their place, let us know. Our ages range from 40-57, so we arent partying punks. We're semi-serious fishermen.

We would need accommodations for the nights of the 24-26. We wouldnt be "hanging around the house" at all, as we might be arriving at noon-2pm on the 24th, and fishing the other days. But we would need showers each night of the torneo.

We would depart for Sonora on the morning of the 27th. We'll deal with meals at the local eateries, or would be willing to pay for any meals you can supply, easily. Easily for you, that is. We'll be in fishing mode and will be very amenable. In fact, we are willing to pay a reasonable fee for accommodations, if you so desire.

We could even split up into groups of two, if you know of neighbors who can accommodate. We have cots and COULD sleep outside, but the weather and bugs could make that problematic.

I used to know Mooney Base over there but now he lives over here, so that option is out. Jim and Mary are doing just fine over here, for those of you who remember them. They just headed north.

Let us know by U2U if you know of any accommodative souls.

capt. mike - 6-6-2011 at 05:55 AM

Hook - pls tell Jim i said hi. He'll remember me and also Keith O. from the flyin' sams; we used to call him on the way in to mulege passing over his place.
He had us stop in once a year before he quit flying. Spectacular home! His ham set up most impressive.

Ask him if he knows Gene [LA roofing contractor] with the Piper Navajo who has the place next to the boat ramp along the old east/west runway.
He might let you stay there and he may be fishing the tourney. He has a local mexican who keeps the place up for him and opens it for guests if he's not there.

LaTortuga - 6-6-2011 at 06:51 AM

Here is a summary from the Mulege Dorado Tournament Memorial day weekend.
The official tournament pictures (courtesy of Don Snowden) can be seen at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103067609953593131642/Photos?au...

Remember many fish were released and anglers out of the running may not have weighed in their fish. That being said the distribution of weighed fish was:

10-12.9 lb 10

13-15.9 lb 8

16-18.9 lb 9

19-21.9 lb 5

22-24.9 lb 4

25-27.9 lb 2

28-20.9 lb 0

31-33.9 lb 1

Hook - 6-6-2011 at 07:15 AM

Thank you, La Tortuga, for the results.

I hope you guys/gals keep them so some comparisons can be made from year to year.

Russ - 6-25-2011 at 10:21 AM

Punta Chivato tournament kicked off at 8 this morning. Launch ramp had a pretty good surge but no troubles were reported. So far the reports I've had are most boats are into the dorado but not a lot of over 20 # bulls. I have heard about 4 or 5 though but only a few boats are reporting their catches. After prepping the tin boat yesterday the surge got big and by this morning It was more than I'd feel comfortable launching in. The high tide is suppose to be in just about the time the boats return this afternoon around 3 or 4 pm.
Here's a few boats at the start.

Start.jpg - 47kB

mulegemichael - 6-26-2011 at 07:53 PM

ok russ...give us the results...and a nice sunrise, please...we heard it was a pretty good tourney.

Russ - 6-26-2011 at 09:58 PM

Sunrise?? I don't know if I can get up and out of my AC'd casita that early;D Tonight I'm test driving the new AC unit to see if it can cool the two rooms. More on that on another station.
I have a bit of trouble going to gatherings but I did go over to where the Awards Dinner is tonight. The bar was set up and the folks that own the roast chicken restaurant north of Mulege are catering the fish dinner and were getting set up. I don't know the weights of the biggest fish but I think it was right at 27 pounds. I didn't enter the tournament so I bought $100 worth if raffle tickets and a friend is going to check them in case one of mine comes in. Lots of great prizes.
Here's some photos of the set up before the crowds arrived.
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/Russinbaja/Before%20...

Russ - 6-26-2011 at 10:14 PM

Here's a shot of the weigh in/cleaning table with a boat being load after a days fishing for the "Big One" in the for ground. You can see the wave breaking on the rocks just south of the ramp. Sorry about the quality of the photo but it was taken from my place about 2 miles away.

Boat ramp.jpg - 47kB

capt. mike - 6-27-2011 at 05:45 AM

on who's property was that fiesta set up? looks nice.
never seen so much green and color at chivato.

Russ - 6-27-2011 at 05:56 AM

There are a lot of fine gardens in Punta Chivato now. Both Friday & Sunday's events were held at Casa Oxley again this year.

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
on who's property was that fiesta set up? looks nice.
never seen so much green and color at chivato.

capt. mike - 6-27-2011 at 10:38 AM

cool - i thot i recognized the layout. have been to Harry's place before.
it is mega nice.

baitcast - 6-27-2011 at 11:05 AM

Don,t let Cypress see this:lol::lol: Looks like a ton of fun.
Rob

wessongroup - 6-27-2011 at 12:04 PM

Not bad, for two miles ... thanks

Cypress - 6-28-2011 at 04:55 AM

Yea , It's good to hear.:D How 'bout a bottom fishing tournament, snapper, grouper, etc.?

Pescador - 6-28-2011 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Yea , It's good to hear.:D How 'bout a bottom fishing tournament, snapper, grouper, etc.?

Well, when I was not fishing the stupid tournament, I was fishing for grouper and Cabrilla and the fishing has been epic and almost wide open this whole season, so the idea that they have been wiped out just does not cut the mustard.
I will admit that the fish have gotten a little smarter and require a little more subtle approach than they did years ago. We almost never used sliding sinkers before, but now they will eat the bait but will immediately drop it if they feel any resistance. It kinda makes one think that if they would get rid of the stupid nets then fishing would get really good again because the fish adapt to changing conditions, just like good fishermen.