BajaNomad

Chicken Fried Steak at Splash

Gypsy Jan - 5-17-2011 at 04:01 PM

I didn't want to hijack Skeeter's birthday thread, so I am taking the chicken fried steak discussion over here.

I had the chicken fried steak for breakfast at Splash the other day and it (the steak) was fork tender, the gravy was spot on and the two sunny-side-up eggs were perfectly cooked, with delicate whites and bright yellow yolks that flowed with character over the the plate.

Bajahowodd - 5-17-2011 at 04:07 PM

My arteries are really throbbing at your description.

Udo - 5-17-2011 at 04:17 PM

I just swallowed an extra LIPITOR!

Bajahowodd - 5-17-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I just swallowed an extra LIPITOR!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Prophylactic?

The Lady With the Camera

Gypsy Jan - 5-17-2011 at 04:31 PM

Asked me to set my plate aside so she could take a picture.

J.P. - 5-17-2011 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
I had the chicken fried steak for breakfast at Splash the other day and it (the steak) was fork tender, the gravy was spot on and the two sunny-side-up eggs were perfectly cooked, with delicate whites and bright yellow yolks that flowed with character over the the plate.

Now you are talking language I understand.FOOD FOR THE GODS. When i was trucking coast to coast there was this resturant in Catoose OK. theh had a CHIKEN FRIED STEAK TO DIEEEEEEEE FOR. it was a regular stop.:wow::wow:

O.G. - 5-17-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I didn't want to hijack Skeeter's birthday thread, so I am taking the chicken fried steak discussion over here.

Ahhh, where is "Splash"?

woody with a view - 5-17-2011 at 08:00 PM

try the search feature.

it works.....

capt. mike - 5-18-2011 at 05:30 AM

chicken fried steak......do prefer made of machine tenderized cuts of thin sliced club steak or hand pounded pork cutlets?

having enjoyed both for 50 years i like:

beef if with breakfast.
pork if for lunch [tenderloin sandwich] or dinner [weiner schnitzel] .

Cypress - 5-18-2011 at 05:50 AM

Venison or elk are both great chicken fried, but have to be tenderized. If not, it will be too tough to eat.

mulegemichael - 5-18-2011 at 08:34 AM

the best chicken fried steak i've ever had was at scottie's el candil in mulege..he makes his with arracharra and it's one fine meal.

Lindalou - 5-18-2011 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.
Quote:

Ahhh, where is "Splash"?
Yes, where is splash? I would like to be there now.

Splash Restaurant Location

Gypsy Jan - 5-18-2011 at 09:43 AM

Splash Restaurant & Bar
Free Road Rosarito-Ens Km.52
Rosarito Beach, Baja California

(About 15 miles south of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, take the Cuenca Lechera exit off the toll road and the marked entrance is right in front of you, slightly to the left, on the ocean side of the Free Road or as it is officially known, Carreterra Libre Tijuana a Ensenada)

Tel: 661 118-1992

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Udo - 5-18-2011 at 04:35 PM

Be sure you time your visit with high tide...you'll find out why the restaurant is named "SPLASH"

BornFisher - 5-18-2011 at 05:38 PM

Takes huevos to eat huevos and chicken fried steak at the same time!!!! WTG!!!

cjesme - 5-19-2011 at 08:24 PM

Gypsy Jan and Udo, I am at Splash quite often and yes the food and high tide are wonderful. So are the patrons! Hope to meet you some time.

OK, Love to Meet You

Gypsy Jan - 5-19-2011 at 08:44 PM

But, for the sake of my arteries, I should probably will order a Camechana c-cktail.

Cheers, GJ

Mexicorn - 5-20-2011 at 01:46 AM

Jan- Hands down the best Sea food, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or just a great place to hang out!
Great Drinks at a great price, not to mention the live music.
It's the Cuenca Luchera Exit Just past the huge condo project.
Nicholas- is a great host all the staff speaks english. It's my favorite hang out in northern Baja.
The problem is if your not looking for the " Cuenca Luchera" exit you will miss it.
Last Night I was in there and Travel Channel was making a short video called "Off the beaten path Baja"cant wait for it to come out!
Cheers
Mexicorn!
:cool:

wessongroup - 5-20-2011 at 10:10 AM

Nice place...

Cypress - 5-20-2011 at 04:03 PM

Gonna chicken fry a skillet full of round steak, fully tenderized. Will roll the steaks in a flour batter and drop 'em in just enough oil to keep 'em from sticking. Might make a few biscuits and a little gravey to go with 'em.

DENNIS - 5-20-2011 at 04:24 PM

YUMMY....try to squeeze at least a little bit of lard in there....somewhere. :yes:

Cypress - 5-20-2011 at 04:42 PM

It will be easy! Just a little bit.:biggrin:

going South on the Old Road

The Gull - 5-23-2011 at 05:14 PM

Look for this sign

Splash.jpg - 31kB

Bajafun777 - 6-9-2011 at 10:22 AM

Just had the chicken fried steak today and being one of my favorites made the taste test important and Splash passed with flying colors. Great food and service try it you will like it. Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

DENNIS - 6-9-2011 at 10:30 AM

If you Google Splash, you come up with a lot of info on a gay restaurant/bar chain or franchises in the states. Is this place related? Are the waiters fully clothed? Do they sing Broadway musical tunes while serving that chicken fried steak? Are Goat and Gull in the chorus line?
Jes wonderin'.

krafty - 6-9-2011 at 10:32 AM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Today at Sunday Breakfast at Splash

Gypsy Jan - 6-12-2011 at 06:23 PM

Our waiter said, in greeting us with a big smile, "We saw the nice things you said about our Chicken-fried Steak on Nomad."

I have never said anything to anyone there about posting on Nomad or revealed my (no longer) anonymous persona.

Believe me, folks. People are reading and taking note.

OH, BTW, if you care, I had the lobster bisque and the Spinach salad - everything was fresh, flavorful, delicious - so good.

(Also, BTW, I do not represent the owners or management and I have never been offered or taken a free meal.)

[Edited on 6-13-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 6-12-2011 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Believe me, folks. People are reading and taking interest.

Well.....in you, of course. Who wouldn't?
Bon Apetit, Bonita.

Lindalou - 6-13-2011 at 09:42 AM

Jan, thank you so much for your reviews. I for one appreciate it. I now have found what sounds like a really fun place to go and check out:)

jenny.navarrette - 6-13-2011 at 11:03 AM

The financial partner in Splash -- the one who put up the money -- is an American named Jim McGill.

DENNIS - 6-13-2011 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
The financial partner in Splash -- the one who put up the money -- is an American named Jim McGill.

What else is known about Jim McGill??

mtgoat666 - 6-13-2011 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

What else is known about Jim McGill??

why does it matter who owns the place?

wessongroup - 6-13-2011 at 01:31 PM

Hey, thanks to all... great thread... :):)

DENNIS - 6-13-2011 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
why does it matter who owns the place?

Why does it matter why it matters? The place is foreign owned and all profits go off-shore to benefit despots, terrorism and child slavery. That isn't the "Mexican Way"...is it?

krafty - 6-13-2011 at 02:52 PM

Thought Mr. McGill was the texan who cooks at Pescador, which is owned by a bro of Splash' owner? may be just a vicious rumor tho:wow:

jenny.navarrette - 6-13-2011 at 06:29 PM

I wonder if Jesse thinks chicken fried steak is a good way to promote Mexican haute cuisine? I'm not too sure Gypsy Jan had a "fresh" lobster bisque . Lobster season on the US West Coast and Mexico runs October to March. It was probably a frozen langosta from Australia, via Costco.

I Never Stated That the Lobster Bisque

Gypsy Jan - 6-13-2011 at 07:51 PM

Was fresh

I did say it was delicious. It even had some shell fragments in the broth.

Last week, we had the clam chowder, which was also delicious; such good rich creamy flavor.

I know it is not lobster season, and it is not a month with an "R" in it, but both soups were rich, creamy and well-flavored with the unique saltiness of the ocean.

Our daughter was mesmerized by the vision of the breaking waves and the pelicans and seagulls flying overhead.

DENNIS - 6-13-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
It was probably a frozen langosta from Australia, via Costco.

In my opinion, frozen lobster from Australia or New Zealand is superior to fresh local bugs.

jenny.navarrette - 6-13-2011 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
I Never Stated That the Lobster Bisque Was fresh

Quote:
OH, BTW, if you care, I had the lobster bisque and the Spinach salad - everything was fresh, flavorful, delicious - so good.

What a wonderful world you live in. :rolleyes:

DENNIS - 6-13-2011 at 08:05 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Don't mind me. It's just one of those days where everything seems funny. :lol::lol::lol:

jenny.navarrette - 6-13-2011 at 08:08 PM

Jrbaja was the original Fulano.

DENNIS - 6-13-2011 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Jrbaja was the original Fulano.

You mean John Doe? Was he flying incognito? :light:

Implied Sarcasm Noted

Gypsy Jan - 6-13-2011 at 08:16 PM

I enjoy the good things that come to me everyday.

I enjoy well prepared food on any level.

I am grateful for the courtesy of Mexicans, who, seeing my cane, rush to open the door for me. This happens on a regular basis.

I appreciate the Mexican, who, when I say "Gracias", says in response, "A usted", or "Hasta luego" or "Que le vaya bien."
"
These small things make my life rich.

tripledigitken - 6-13-2011 at 08:50 PM

Jan,

Well prepared Bisque does not have shell fragments in it. I hope you brought that to their attention. Nothing wrong with using the best product available, even if it is not local.

Ken

Yes, Shell Fragments in the Lobster Bisque Is Not Good

Gypsy Jan - 6-13-2011 at 09:55 PM

But, it had good flavor.

wessongroup - 6-14-2011 at 05:48 AM

Well, Jan... at least you made a big "SPLASH" .... :):)

F,um if they can't take a joke or a enjoy a few at a bar... or eat something that isn't perfect... perhaps they never were in the service and had to eat SOS... or many other real treats ... :lol::lol: ...

DENNIS - 6-14-2011 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
perhaps they never were in the service and had to eat SOS...

I kinda liked SOS....especially in Boot. Always hungry.

Cypress - 6-14-2011 at 06:48 AM

Was never in the service, but my mom made it. Called it chipped beef on toast, it was a favorite. The whole family enjoyed it.

wessongroup - 6-14-2011 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
perhaps they never were in the service and had to eat SOS...

I kinda liked SOS....especially in Boot. Always hungry.

Always liked it too... except when it had that "green" sheen to it from the bad hamburger... had that way in Biloxi MS... but, never anywhere else ...

Had one cook that could really make it GREAT .. and he would make real biscuits with it too... excellent... with eggs and potatoes too.. giving me an appetite this morning...
:lol::lol: